More Newbie Questions!

Guest Nomad

Guest Nomad

Ok...I hadn't even considered this until my sister's boyfriend brought it up. Do you have to pay a service plan for GPS's (like cell phones)...I'm pretty sure once you buy it the only service you pay for is batteries LOL, but correct me if I'm wrong. Also, I think I'm going to get the Magellan 330 M as it is only 20 bucks more than the non-marine version and comes with all those nifty water and coastline maps. But, when checking out the Etrex..and other Garmins, it appears that you have to pay for the map CD (over $100!) whereas it comes w/ the Magellans. Do I understand this right? Thanks for helping me w/ info as I get into this sport. In return I hope to offer some great caches as I way of saying thanks!

Guest Quinnow

nomad...sllllowwww down some and take your time buying a gps, make sure its what you want and get the right one. Yes, some garmin gps units require the street maps and topo disks in order to get those functions, but they come with quite a bit of mapping already included with the unit. I have the garmin GPS III Plus and love it the way it sits, good maps on it and never had a problem. Not to mention on those days where I might be in heavy tree cover I can pop off the antenna and add a stronger one that I clip to my collar and to the roof of the car while driving. ask around and do your homework before you buy, then look for some great deals out there. ebay has excellant prices on GPS units and you can trust many of the sellers as well. also try mysimon.com.

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com