Do you read the logs BEFORE searching?

Guest johnm

ocachers reccomend reading the logged visits on the cache description page before searching for a cache? I'm split on this as a)the log may give too big a hint, but ;) if there was a change in the status of the cache or important information was left out, then that information may be in the log. If something significant has changed (such as the cache has disappeared) do cache owners update the cache description?

Guest swangner

I usually do read the logs (if any) for a cache if I'm going to search for it. Usually, they don't give much hint info other than what the stasher gave in the description. I think it's nice to have a little heads-up on the difficulty, etc., and also what might have been taken/left before I get there.

Guest leaper64

i think it is a good idea to read the logs before going out. let me give you an example.

i placed a stash last fall, when the weather was fine. in winter the canyon access in closed by a gate. needless to say, i neglected to mention this on my original posting. i recently had my first visitor who traveled a long distance by car and decided to go for a hike in spite of the snow (sorry kkbean). future visitors who read his log will be aware of the closed road.

larry

Guest Paul Lamble

I've not found any giveaways in the logs I've read. I think most seekers are wise enough not to give it away to you. They wouldn't want anyone to do the same to them. That's just a general impression though.

Guest bob_renner

I've seen some logs that don't actually give away the location of a cache, but do provide an additional clue, e.g. "I could drive to the first two locations but had to hike to the last". This told me that when I got near the last spot and ran into a fence with razor wire (and was only .02 miles from the spot) that I'd have to approach the cache from a different direction and hike in. This was a minor clue which I could figure out myself, but it is something which helps.

Bob Renner

Reading the logs also let you know what type of hiking or no hiking has to be done and the time you'll need. ALso, the description might identify a cache I'd rather not do. It's sort of like going on vacation. You'd like to know a little about it before going so you're not disappointed when you get there.

Actually tha't what all the posts look like from before the server switch for the forums. Notice there are no avatars either.

Back OT: I'm about 50/50 on reading the previous logs. If it's a local cache that I haven't found yet, I usually have read them because I notice a new cache has popped up, been found and I want to see who has found it. (Although I have a pretty good idea who has gotten there first :laughing:. Then again that is the part of the game that excites them. ) If it's a road trip I'm just loading up 1-500 nearest waypoint in from a PQ, and I may take the time to read the cache page, but not the logs. If it's a team trip we usually split up the routes, so at least one of us has read the page in depth. I might scan the logs on my route for any red flags or issues if I have the time.

It's funny how this thread speaks to the issues raised by the "should we rate caches" threads.

OT Since the summer of hurricanes in Florida, I definitely read logs, to find out whether the cache has been checked by its owner or if there's been a find since early October. We've traveled around the state to a number of events lately, and it's been quite remarkable the regional differences in cache owner response to the need for post hurricane checks. Oddly, in the area with a really good history of events and some "leadership" type cachers, the overall rate of caches either checked or disabled was the worst. :laughing:

You really take your chances on even the existance of a cache.. though I do get an extra charge out of finding one that was vulnerable, no matter what its condition.

I don't worry about spoilers, I can only recall one log with a real spoiler, and as it turned out, I needed that info to make the find (which I expect is why it was in the log, one by a fairly experienced cacher).

I just made the move to paperless caching with a $27 Frys special Palm III xe. I am pretty enthused about the ability to view some of the recent past the logs while in the field with Cachemate. Most of my DNFs and a lot of frustrating time could have been prevented if I had pre-gleaned some of the useful information from the logs such as more accurate coordinates, etc.

Doing this before heading out was tricky. Even if they had posted helpful info, it probably went right over my head in the excitement and flutter of leaving for the hunt. It is much more useful for me to read it once I am out there.

I will add that yesterday I went out to a cache, all set up with my new Palm and ready to rock. I never ended up turning it on until after finding the treasure. The GPS walked me right up to the cache and I found it within 5 minutes with no clues or logs. I turned the Palm on after the find just to see how the last few logs in the logbook matched up to the logs on the site. That was fun.

Edited by soreyes

I've been to a couple of caches where I haven't read the previous logs only to find that the coordinates were way off. Had I read those logs I would have avoided a couple of DNF's.

It easier now with paperless caching. :laughing: If I'm having problems with a search I've always got the previous logs on my Palm.