Too much free time

I'm not a computer geek, but an engineeing geek, so I like numbers too. I'm not sure if there were any threads with these ratios but her goes.

1. Percentage of physical caches to other caches (virtual, event, etc.).

2. Average difficulty & terrain rating for all found caches.

My numbers are:

1. 183 physical caches found/207 total finds= 88.4%

2. Average difficulty - 1.67

Average terrain - 1.74

I expected my difficulty & terrain averages to be higher but looking back there were a lot of caches we did that were rated 1 and 1.

127 total finds in five different states, consisting of:

103 single stage traditional caches

7 multicaches

10 locationless caches

6 virtual caches

1 event cache

At the time of my 100th cache find, I did compute the averages and it came out to a 1.93 for terrain and slightly less than that for difficulty, so call it a 2/2.

I'm a cache junkie. I'll do anything that caches my interest. Some of the virtuals have been far harder and/or more interesting than the 1/1 traditional caches. And, I've spent more time on a couple of my photo essays on locationless caches than it's taken me to find or hide a traditional cache. (I do have a rule, however, against seeking out a locationless cache specifically... I will only log one if I come across it on my geocaching wanderings so that it is a surprise similar to unearthing tupperware.)

I think that we should spend more time caching, and less time calculating.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

I have 37 found in 5 states, all traditional caches.

I have 4 not found, 1 was a multi-cache with the first part soaked and unreadable, another was a multi with the cache page left at home (DOH!), another was a multi that I ran out of daylight on and another was a multi that we couldn't find the first part of. Mostly they are 2/2, 2/3, or 3/3 (if you want real numbers, check my profile, because I'm at work right now). Never did a 5. Haven't been to an event yet, but if someone posts a log for one of those monumental clean ups around here I'm in! And I will try to go to the next BBQ for sure.

I have placed one traditional cache, and it can be considered easy or hard because you can walk or drive up the mountain or take anywhere from a .15 to 11 mile hike to get to it.

Cache you later,

Planet

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

I logged all the caches I found, and I found all the caches I logged.

From what I've seen in the forums, that's actually a rare occurance.

As for my ratio, I have 72 finds, with 8 of them virtual and 1 locationless. I don't care for locationelss caches, but this one was a 2 miles from my house, so I figured what the heck.

"Men don't stop playing because they get old, they get old because they stop playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes

quote:
Originally posted by Skully & Mulder et al.:

It took me long enough to calculate my averages icon_confused.gif- perhaps BassoonPilot & Stayfloopy could figure out their's during a hurricain or blizzard ... but then again they will probably be caching icon_wink.gif.

Out of 936 caches:

Average difficulty: 1.734

Average terrain: 1.698

Easy. Just had to set aside a little time and write Perl scripts to download and parse the cache pages.

However, that stat is missing 113 caches that were archived because you can't get info about archived caches without logging in. I did take a stab at writing some code to log in to the geocaching website but I can't figure out why it still isn't downloading the archived cache pages.