Couples Caching

For those who cache together, how many of you feel your obsession for the sport is about the same?

Do most couples only do this together or is caching with others okay?

Are you competitive with each other on stats?

Do you share a GPS or to each his own?

Has caching improved your relationship? How?

Just curious ..... cause I'm like that.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.

Red and I cache about at the same level most of the time. Some days she ask where the next hunt will be and we team up and other days I just head out by myself.

So far we have not meet with other couples to hunt caches.

We log under the same name.

We have two gpsr's - Mag 315 & 330 map. Red packs the 315 with her sometimes just to learn how it works. Which came in handy elk hunting this year.

Caching has just given us an excuse to run away and hide from the rest of our lives for a while.

logscaler

"It is not fair to have a battle of wits with unarmed people."

Although I have many more finds than my wife (Skigirl43), she can be far more obsessive about it than I am. When were bagging a few caches while on vacation, she was the one who kept urging me me to go for another one. And if we get a "not found" on a cache, for whatever reason, she's the one who pushes me to go back.

We only hunt together on a small percentage of my cache hunts, but we do use cache hunting to spend quality time together. Sometimes she'll call me from work and suggest that I check the website for a cache we can look for when she gets home.

Oddly enough, as obsessive as she can be, she has only found 1 cache by herself. I think its because she enjoys our being together, more than the actual cache hunt and uses geocaching to trick me into spending more time with her. And I fall for it every time! icon_wink.gif

We're not competetive as far as stats go, but she does get annoyed when I find the cache first and dance around in a circle, singing "I found it and you didn't, ha-ha, ha-ha, ha, ha!".

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on September 25, 2003 at 06:52 AM.]

My wife and I go out on the few we have logged. She enjoys the final hunt, within 20' of the cache. I enjoy the hike to the 20' range. We also take our daughter out as well, as she loved the "treasure hunt."

We are not competetive when it comes to stats, as we log under the same name/account.

I hold/intrepret the GPS we have. I have thought about getting her her own so we can see who can reach the cache first, but she is not good at navigating trails (which is why I hold the GPS.) My wife and daughter kinda tag along at that point. I think they wish we could drive up to the 20' radius mark all the time...

We both like getting out and about hiking. Our daughter likes the final hunt and peck with my wife. Hor her it is a treasure hunt. We have always had a good, healthy relationship, and caching adds to it by allowing us to spend time on the trail as a family.

---

Brad Buskey

http://www.deckyon.com

N38:17.281, W85:32.998

deckyon@NOSPAM.sturm.org

Magellan Meridian Platinum

As the name implies, we are a caching couple. At first we shared the GPSr, but we have since moved on to a unit for each. As far as finding the caches, we share or take turns who is in the lead. Although at times we both hunt when the other is having a hard time finding the cache. We look forward to going together as it brings us closer. We have also enjoyed bringing the whole family when we can as well as introducing family members to the sport.

I hunt with my wife 90% of the time -- partly because I like it, partly because I HAVE to go with SOMEONE. I'm legally blind and cannot drive. I can see fine when looking straight ahead (very long story) so I can operate the GPSr, get along on the trail, help with the final searching, etc. But I just can't drive. So I do all the prelim work including mapping, satellite photos, etc. and then we head off. I have a spare GPSr that I've offered her the use of, but she's mostly in it for the walk and our 'together' time. I am usually the one who starts the idea of going out for a cache, but she is usually quite receptive to it. The other 10% of my caches I have done with my dad. But he lives 100 miles away so we don't do it very often. I think caching has improved my relationship with both my wife and my dad. Gives us something to do together and that is critical in a marriage.

I think my wife has gone to about a quarter of the caches I've found, and I don't think she'd ever go to one on her own. I think she enjoys it to a point (meaning she would rather go find a cache than watch a sporting event). She likes to hold the GPSr and try to navigate to the cache location. I *REALLY* need to get her a unit of her own!

"I'm 35 Years old, I am divorced, and I live in van down by the river!" - Matt Foley

We always cache together. Out of our 600+ finds we have probably each done about 5 of them alone. I would have to say we are equally obsessed. I usually carry the GPSr and Libby carries the PDA.

Geocaching has become our primary source of entertainment and social life (sad isn't it), we even plan our vacations around it. Our non-geocache friends avoid the subject like the plauge because they know that once we start talking about it that's all we talk about.

Within the last week I have updated our caching name from just "Rusty" to "Rusty & Libby", it was long overdue.

--------------------------------------------------

When the earthquake swallows up his house, his business, his lifetime savings, the wise man uses his lot on the edge of the abyss to sell tickets to the tourists.

Rusty & Libby's Geocache Page

Michigan Geocaching Organization

My boyfriend and his son often cache with me.

I bought them both GPS units for Christmas last year, because I was tired of sharing mine with them!

I have also done plenty of caching alone or with other people. By boyfriend and son are not particularly outdoorsy while I am. They prefer the easier urban caches and I prefer the long hikes. So in the past I have arranged to do some of the hiking caches with a friend instead of them.

pokeanim3.gif

quote:
Originally posted by jarja_grl:

For those who cache together, how many of you feel your obsession for the sport is about the same?

Yes

quote:

I've gone caching with my Dad, but that's about it for doing anything without Kathy along.

quote:

Nope. We're both "McKee".

quote:

Share.

quote:
Has caching improved your relationship?

Nope. It would be awfully hard to "improve" perfection!

quote:

Good for you!

--------------------

Searching for the lost, Geocache.......

I think I'm more obsessive about it than my hubby, although he's the one who got us started.

We log as a team, so there's no stat competition. I think he's only been on one hunt without me. The kids and I have done a few without him. I thought that once the kids went back to school, I might start hunting some on my own. I went on one solo and found that it wasn't nearly as much fun as spending the time with my family. Besides, it took me about a half-hour of searching to find the cache. The hubby and kids are *way* better than me at the final search. icon_biggrin.gif

When the kids are with us, they run the GPSr. When it's just the two of us, we take turns.

We try and cache together but becuase of Becky's work hours i sometimes do some caching alone. I think i have done about 10 or 15 withouther out of 75. We really try to go caching together so i try not to go out on my own too often, sometimes its hard to restrain myself. Anyway, when we get a weekend off (which doesn't happen to often) we might spend part of one day doing 5 or so caches. We have no stats competition becuase we are a team, and i feel guilty when i go alone. She loves to cache, she has an innocence about her, she gets excited about finding and trading. We each have a gps, mostly becuase she is learning the technology and we can mirror what we do when we are learning new things together. its a lot of fun that way.

Ash found Geocaching and introduced Es to it. But Es is probably a little more obsessive. Well, she's the one who motivates me to get out there. Once we get going I think we both enjoy it equally.

Es is also a little more competitive. Not with other cachers, just with the caches themselves. She can't stand not founds. Where I'm not that bothered if I still enjoyed the walk and/or view.

We've only ever cached/log together. Neither of us would go it alone (although Es has done a cache with a friend she was visiting, I might do a couple with my Dad when he is staying).

I would say that it has improved our relationship a little. Not that it was in any sort of trouble before hand. But it's really nice to have an activity on the weekend that gets us out of the house and lets us enjoy the outdoors together.

^^^^^

This is Ash's opinon but I'm pretty sure Es would agree icon_wink.gif

What is caches precious?

quote:

I'm far more obsesses than my wife.

quote:

Caching with others is ok. As long as I'm the one caching with others. Just Kidding. icon_wink.gifActually, I don't think she would cache if I wasn't so into it.

quote:

No. We cache under the same account.

quote:

We're a one GPS household.

quote:

Hmm... Yea. I guess you could say that. Not that it needed improving. Geocacing has mellowed me out. Getting out there in the woods will do that rather than being in the office all day. I'm fortunate to be in a posission that I can pick up and leave whenever I want. So in that respect, I'm probably just nicer to be around. So I geuss that can only help a relationship. Wow. I have a really great life.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Because now I am Lost.

Tracy and I have done all but a very few finds together. Our last find was when she was 9 months pregnant- she was put on bed rest the next week.

We both love Geocaching. Sometimes one or the other is a little more fanatical than the other. Last Thanksgiving Week, we cached in Kansas City AND St Louis.

We have TWO GPSRs. One was supposed to be our backup, but it gets used as much as the other one. We don't keep individual stats- some days the force is with her, some days with me, and other days we are both very in tune with the force.

I guess we're no longer a couple, but a family. Solana has been to a cache to help us retreieve a travel bug.

Hawkeye and I always cache together, unless there are significant reasons not to. When I went on a trip, each of us logged a cache or two alone, and when he sprained his ankle I snagged a FTF without him, but only because it was practically in our backyard. We're obviously not competitive with each other, except that sometimes we have a day where one or the other of us finds all the caches. We have only one GPS, so what usually happens is the person with the GPS is still reading off of it, and the other one's actually hunting, and finds the cache first. We try to trade off when the person not finding any caches gets tired of it. It might be interesting to have two units someday, but it's not a pressing concern. And I would say that perhaps it has improved our relationship; it's something fun to do together, a shared interest to talk about, etc. The more of those, the better. I'd say our interest in the sport is pretty well matched. I'm a bit disappointed how many guys' SO's aren't into caching or even dislike it.

My wife, “Fy,” and I cache together. About 95% of our caches have been found together and about 5% apart. Most of the solo caches have been for three reasons: They are really close to my work and I will find them at the end of the day (I hate caching near work on the weekends) or there is a chance a first-to-find can happen (so Fy will find them during the day) or one of us is out-of-town (as Fy was, in Oregon, a few days in June).

We love caching together. We sometimes are at different levels of motivation, but we always enjoy the time together. Our relationship, at a personal level, has always been strong, Geocaching has not improved that. But Geocaching has improved our lifestyle, in that we have this great shared interest that excites and humors us both, so it has definitely been a positive.

The biggest positive is this: We have started to cache with more frequently with other couples. This turns the day or evening into a combination caching and time-with-friends - getting dinner, hanging out, etc. It’s lots of fun, and we feel we are forming some great new friendships with other couples as a result!

We have, rarely, cached solo with other folks. But only a handful of times. We aren't "for" this or "against" this - it usually happens when one really wants to cache and the other doesn't, or if one of us is out of town, the other is home and wants to cache, etc...

As to the other questions: we aren't competitive about anything with each other, and Geocaching hasn't changed that. We usually bring a single GPS, I really enjoy getting us to the cache site, figuring out optimal route, trail, solving the puzzle, etc. and Fy usually enjoys the actual cache search at the location. In that way, our primary joys in Geocaching "mesh" well (they don't overlap too much).

We normally cache as a family (me, wife, and 2 boys) unless one of us is busy. I work 75 miles from home so I have done some work local lunchtime caches by myself. I am much more obsessed but my wife enjoys getting out in the woods for the hike. It has brought all of us closer together because it gives us a great activity to do as a family.

PSUPAUL of

Team Geo-Remdation

My wife and I cache together virtually always and log under the same name. Once I picked up a few bugs on a work trip when I had some spare time, but it wasn't as much fun. We both enjoy being outdoors and getting some "stealth exercise" and value the time together to talk and enjoy each other's company. Obviously, there is nothing competitive. We both prefer the hike and navigate aspect of the search and more or less alternate carrying the GPSr. She will stop the local search after about 10 minutes and watch me wander in circles. I really hate to log not founds, so I would probably almost never give up the search until I was sure I checked every possible spot. She gets bummed when we can't find one, but doesn't like poking around under leaves and downed trees.

icon_smile.gif

Woof and I were introduced to Geocaching by our daughter. My husband did the first one alone, came home and told me it was fun, and it took off from there.

We list our finds together, and use two GPS's most of the time. I am the one who plots and prints the maps and routes for our hunts, but woof does the topography (he has access to better ones through his work).

We find it a good way to get away from radio, TV, and phones...just us with time to talk and catch up.

Most of the times I pack a picnic lunch as we as we are usually out in the middle of nowhere.

My husband has a school to go to in Las Vegas two weeks from now, and we will try to do 2-3 while there

We take a anniversary trip every year, and this year we are going to Texas(again) only this time we will not only visit wineries, but I have a whole route of caches printed off and ready to go.

This time alone refreshes our relationship, and makes us appreciate each other more.

I do the majority of the caches by myself as hubby typically works 6 days/week and 11 1/2 hr work days. That doesn't leave much time for caching. sad.gif He's not as obsessed about caching as I am but he definitely enjoys it. Sometimes though I wish he were a little more into it but I'm more than happy to hit the trails alone too. We don't treat it as a competition as to who finds them first either. Sometimes he does, sometimes I do. We share the GPS and trade off navigating duties. He's not too hot w/ a map so I do most of the trip planning and map reading. LOL We view geocaching as a way to get some exercise, fresh air, see new places as well as an opportunity to spend some time together.

TheDukesofWatrousville~

Cody, Nikki, Duke and Kia ~ the Geo-Mutts

Animated_MiGO_A88.gif

quote:
Our last find was when she was 9 months pregnant- she was put on bed rest the next week.

Our last find was when becky was 7 monts preg. We, along with a group of other cachers went on a 6 mile or so hiking treck. Now, the baby is here and there doesn't seem to be much time yet for caching. Its strange though. We took him to the doctors office for a checkup. As we were leaving and grabbing keys and cell phones and wallets I wondered if we should also be taking a baby and extra diapers along too. OH BOY is this gonna be fun!

SR and dboggny.

SMLlogo.gif

quote:

We hunt caches together. We hide caches separately. We maintain individual accounts.

We don't worry about stats, though we do get a kick out of milestones like 500th found caches. I started a little before Peggy, and we have differing numbers of hidden caches, so our totals are a little different.

I bought Peggy her own GPSr for her birthday (our original one was a gift to me).

I don't know that it's improved our relationship, since we were doing most everything together already.

Ron/yumitori

---

Remember what the dormouse said...

quote:
Originally posted by sranddboggny.us:

Now, the baby is here and there doesn't seem to be much time yet for caching. Its strange though. We took him to the doctors office for a checkup. As we were leaving and grabbing keys and cell phones and wallets I wondered if we should also be taking a baby and extra diapers along too. OH BOY is this gonna be fun!

SR and dboggny.

http://www.graphlickz.com/NYCGEO

Congrats! We took Solana on one quick trip. As someone said to me, kids add two stars to the difficulty rating, and at this age, add one more for grins!

You're right about not having much time. We just moved to the area August 1, and there are a ton of caches within 100 miles.

I cache with my fiance.

I do all the online research & and logging of finds. He's pretty much just along for the ride, though he does admit to having fun (sometimes).

Often he's on his cellphone while we cache, and I find that annoying.

If we're having difficulty finding a cache, he can be quick to say "f it, lets go, we'll come back later".

It can be frustrating to be teamed up with someone who isn't as obsessed about caching & benchmarking (he hates those!) as me icon_biggrin.gif

To give him credit, he has become much more into trail hiking recently, so that does cancel out much of my irritation about the caching thing.

Anyways, as long as I'm outdoors, I'm happy icon_smile.gif

Joani and I cache together most of the time (more than 95% of the time, I'd guess). We only have one account. We are both (equally) obsessed. About a month into geocaching we decided that we would argue less if each of us had our own GPS. big_smile.gif Has caching improved our relationship? Well, we seem to find the car keys easier these days... bad_boy_a.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

We cache together. Jason says it fulfills my need to go out and do something together and his need to always have technology at his fingertips! icon_smile.gif

It's improved our relationship because it's a shared interest and there's lots of good talking time when we're on a hunt. And it's teambuilding, of course.

We've got one GPS.

I think I like caching more than he does, but he insists he likes it too!

We love taking friends with us, but so far we haven't gone with other couples.

Jaime and Jason

Team Cacheopeia

image ©scienceandart.com -- used with permission

I tried to enjoy Geocaching with my wife and kids. I have found that it's best to go with them if we are after a 1/1.

They just don't seem to have or want to aquire the skill and nuance involved with anything harder than a 2/2 and trying it really spoils the experience for everyone.

So periodically I'll go after more difficult ones on my own. This way I get to enjoy the sport both ways and they get to have some fun with it too.

My wife has no real interest in ever doing it on her own, though.

"Now may every living thing, young or old, weak or strong, living near or far, known or unknown, living or departed or yet unborn, may every living thing know happiness!"

My wife started caching with me about a year after I started. Thus the name change from sidewinder to team sidewinder. We got her a yellow etrex and she has proven herself many times. She really likes to get out and found some caches that I doubt I would have ever found without her along. We have a great time and hope I will not have to cache alone again.

Team sidewinder

LOST AND FOUND DEPT.

We cache as a family, 1so no competition. Hub was told about the site, but I was the one who logged on, registered & insisted he get me a GPSr for Xmas! I think I am more into it than him, but he enjoys getting out for the hike. When we don't have the kids with us (which isn't often) we go for the slightly longer hikes. Our careers involve in mapping, so we like to relate caching to our jobs. The best part about caching is that our kids, who hate hiking, love going caching!

-Donna G

quote:
Originally posted by Moun10Bike:

Sigh. You all make me jealous. My wife rolls her eyes anytime the subject of geocaching comes up, and laughs anytime I suggest she go with me.

My wife has gone with me once. Then she saw me get a case of the chiggers and that was all she wrote on this subject. It is a bummer because it is really a great thing to do together. Guess it's just me and the GPSr. At least it doesn't nag at me... icon_wink.gif

- GoatSniFFer

"Don't you hate it when the toliet paper rips?"

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

My fiancee and I cache together, although she's not as 'obsessive' about it as I am. I'm usually the one who brings up the idea of caching, although she does enjoy most of the hunts that we do. I have a few finds on my own, or with someone else (trying to convince friends to give it a try), but for the vast majority of my finds, she was there with me. She stopped logging finds under her own account a long time ago - I just make sure to include her name in the logs so she gets some credit. icon_smile.gif We use just the one GPS, and I'm usually the one navigating.

I'd say that its improved our relationship. Sometimes its the only chance we have to spend time away from other people and talk about different stuff. Its also given us some great memories and stories to tell other people about what we've run into. Like the time we had 100 or so ticks between us, and didn't discover it until we were going down the highway at full speed. icon_smile.gif

----

When in doubt, poke it with a stick.

Mike and I (husband and wife) usually cache together and log under same team name. We aren't really competitive with each other, although we may rub it in if one of us finds a particularly difficult cache. (Okay, I do this.) The only *competitive* part is who gets to hold the GPSr. I guess we will have to get another one.

His job picks up in the winter, when caching is best in the desert, so I will get some on my own. Sometimes, Mike will return to caches we haven't been succesful at if he has spare time before work. Sometimes he just likes caching without a GPSr and will hunt one down on his way home from work. I'd say about 10% of our cache finds were done separately.

Bonding and closeness? You bet. It gives us something to do besides watch TV or going to the mall.

My wife has gone along on a few finds, but frankly, she could care less if she ever finds another cache. I like to take long hikes, and don't mind getting into areas with bugs, thorns, and perhaps snakes and other critters. She is more into the 'urban scene,' dancing, theatre, and various other things that we do together. My son and I are the geocachers of the family.

Caching is a family hobby for us now. We all go together or not at all. We log our finds as a team so there is no competition between us although we may let our littler memebers "find" the cache first. Having those extra eyes helps a lot. There have been times that one of us may have missed the cache if the others weren't along to help.

Overall, I'd say it has improved our family relationship. My wife is unable to participate in some of the more aggressive outdoor activities that the rest of us enjoy, but we can all walk. It is a great way for us to get together as a family and enjoy the outdoors while getting some exercise too.

Well Mopar started out caching a year before I did. At the time that we started caching together he had 48 finds. Since October 2002, I’m now at 230 finds and Mopar is somewhere over 300! There are days when I think he’s more obsessed about caching than I am, but I do have my moments as well.

I would say about 90% of the time we cache together. For the more difficult caches, Mopar goes with other cachers to find those. And I now have a couple of girlfriends that I can cache with.

For us, caching is not about the numbers but enjoying our time on the hunt.

At first we only had Mopar’s Garmin to use, and then a few months after I started caching, I got my own Maggy. For the most part Maggy is who we use, since she has maps. When we get in a jam, the Garmin comes out to help out.

Mickey225...converting people to geocaching one GPS at a time!

As a general rule poppy is more obsessed than nonni.Do most couples only do this together or is caching with others okay? We cache together most of the time but we have cached with another couple (Golfnutz her brother and girl friend) or part of that couple (when she has to work).

Between she and I not at all. We are a team. It does not matter who finds the cache but we gotta find it. Recently when there were five local caches approved the same day we were FTF on 2 and were headed toward our third when I said “due to the fading daylight we will probably be able to get these next two but we may have let someone else get #5”Nonni quickly said “ the heck we will.”

Do you share a GPS or to each his own? This would not work well at all. She is technologically challenged. Poppy’s job is to get us to the cache. Many times while I am still fooling with the GPSr she locates the cache.

Yes it has. After 27 years of marriage we had a great relationship but had somewhat separate interests. She found an article in the newspaper last Feb and suggested I read it and ask “ do you think we would enjoy doing this?”I am the gadget king and owned 2 GPSrs so about 3 months later we tried our first caches and were hooked. We spend even more time together now with lots to talk about other than business and kids/grandgirls.

Our name (Scoobydooers) was derived because Karen, myself, my daughter, her friend and our dog all went out geocaching. since then my daughter and her friend stopped comming, then we had a problem at "the Chipmunks house cache" when the dog ran away to chase a deer, and it took me 4 hours in the dark to get her back, So now its pretty much the wife and me. she gets so mad when I go cacheing without her while Im at work. She even plans the weekends around goecacheing. one time we got in the car and drove 90 miles north JUST to move a travel bug. While I normally work the GPS (its a guy thing) I do let her carry the offical scoobydoo backpack containing all trade items,spare batterys and paper logs. when we get to GZ we split up and both go looking. she normally finds about 1/2 of them. She gets to do the trade while I get to log the book.

The first I did by my self when I was walking the dog. My wife is Filipino so she doesn't usually understand when I find something 'fun'. After she and the kids went with me to find one, then she started really getting interested. There's no competition as we log under one name. She's found some first, I've found some first, the kids just want to know what they can get out of the "treasure". Even the father-in-law wants to get out now into the brush and hunt. It does give us something other than her business to do on the weekends.

Diane, Roxy and me usually go together. I have gone by myself after caches which are long hikes or envolve kayaking while I am on vacation and she is working but I always end up in the doghouse for a week afterwards. I snuck off today to find one on a island and am scared to log it now.

About a year ago I bought her her own gps and now we both carry one while caching.

I definitely am more obsession about caching than she is.

MnGCA-button.gif

**** Bob and I are pretty much equal on the obsession icon_smile.gif

**** We cache together always. If anyone else wants to join us, they are more than welcome. There has been one cache where I stayed behind with the car while Bob, his friend and my son went to locate a cache because there was no parking. So.... when a car drove by I just put my cell phone up to my ear to make it look as if I pulled over to use to phone (safe driving you know LOL)

****Well.... lets put it this way. He reminds me...... OFTEN......... when he finds it first icon_razz.gificon_rolleyes.gif

****We each have our own. Mine has mapping capabilties so we can check our locations on long trips away from our area. His is just a basic unit (he likes it that way.... says jokingly real men don't need maps... we don't get lost icon_rolleyes.gif LOL)

****Absolutely! Although we already like to spend a lot of time together, we always stagnated on weekends. We both work full time jobs.... this got us out and about on weekends! We love it! Not to mention we are finding some real cool hiding spots to get away from the kids and <ahem> get back to nature icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

Sandy & Bob

Bob & Sandy

My husband and I are equally obsessed with caching and always cache together. We log under the same sign on. I can't imagine it any other way and neither can he... we've been best friends and do almost everything together since the day we met 1974!

We aren't particularly competitive with each other though I do get frustrated when I'm off my game for a day or two... Hey, it happens!

I'm the techno geek... I download the pocket queries, load them into the GPS and the PDA, and note our "leaves and takes" in the PDA in the field. We both use the GPS, but he holds it most of the time since I have the PDA.

Yuppers! We are a team!

This world has nothing for me

And this world has everything.

All that I could want

And nothing that I need.

**** Cademan's Call ****

I haven't finished reading the message thread, so I may be redundant...

My wife (Sherkanz) and I cache together often, but she's more obsessed.

We rib each other about statistics, but I don't think we really care.

I called and gave her notice of a new cache... I was stuck at

work while she claimed FTF. I wish I could have gone, but if

she'd waited till I got off work it might not have been FTF.

At least she was grateful.

I don't like going to one's she's been to with her along...

she helps too much (but that may change as she's more aware now)...

when I go with her to one I've already found I only answer

questions

so that I don't give more help than desired.

We did a cache event... 20 caches to look for, points given

according to difficulty & distance from start.

It was alot like car (TSD) rallying... got tense a time or two,

even though we stated that we were not really going to be

competitive (we have two small kids). Competitive drive

just sorta snuck in.

Sometimes I get really frustrated at the slow pace with kids...

when I don't know where to go, I like to cover ground

fast so I can accumulate data quickly to figure out what to do...

It comes from Hashing for many years.

I'm very methodical, she likes to put in the waypoint and go

while I'm still looking at maps & reading log entries.

It's a lot like Sailing, sometimes... as you really get

good at it, and comfortable doing it, you tend to be less tense,

and easier on your crew when things start going wrong.