Putting caches on phone booths?

Geosaur

I was going to put a micro in a phone booth outside a restaurant in Victoria's China Town. The restaurant display's Chinese BBQ'd(?) critters in it's window. The caches name was to be "BBQ'd Ginger Kitty", BUT! as I investigated the little nooks and crannies of the booth I discovered used serringes so that nixed that.

quote:
Originally posted by spits:

I haven't seen a phone booth for so long, it would sure be a novelty. Is it just me, or pay phones rapidly dissapearing from the scene?

I think you're right. They aren't "booths" here in So Cal in the classic sense. They are more like "phone kiosks", but ultimately they are disappearing. It's the same phenomenon as the disappearing public mail box.

Geosaur :: Geocaching Lizard

Someone could do a Superman themed cache in a phone booth if they could find an actual booth, disconnected, and rig the phone to be a container full of Superman toys, comics, etc.

Hmmm.... a phone booth sitting 600 feet off a trail in the woods might be easy to spot.

----------------------------------------------------------------

"A noble spirit embiggins the smallest man." - Jebediah Springfield

----------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
Originally posted by logscaler:

This thread just gave me a mean and cruel idea for a multi stage hunt.

Does anyone know of a way to get the address for payphone's from a phone number?

I think I will try a reverse lookup and see what information come back.

thanks.

logscaler.

[This message was edited by logscaler on July 14, 2003 at 01:55 PM.]

Try going to Google and typing the phone number in and hit search. I don't know if it will work for a payphone but it will for a business. Good luck.

Smile, make others wonder what you're up to!!!

I can't even remember the last time I seen a phone booth, especially around here. Cell phones have basically killed off the pay phone entirely. Now I really think I need to find one just to hide a micro in.

"The best way to accelerate a Macintosh is at 9.8m/sec/sec."

-Marcus Dolengo

quote:
Originally posted by leatherman:...I'm surprised that the _Permission Zealots_ haven't commented yet.
I was expecting to see alot of that, also. Of course, one has permission to be there, certainly. Also, they tend to be so completely covered with graffiti and 'adverts' that the hiding of a tiny micro shouldn't overly concern anyone.

quote:
Originally posted by sbell111:

one has permission to be there

I think that implied permission is limited to the responcible use of the phone.

quote:
Also, they tend to be so completely covered with graffiti and 'adverts' that the hiding of a tiny micro shouldn't overly concern anyone.

So one illegal act makes others ok?

If others cross a piece of private property so much that there is a path, does that mean that we can hide a cache there with out permission.

I don't see how an others trangression justifies yours.

Just picking on you.icon_wink.gif

39197_3100.jpg

Pepper playing nice!

Mokita!

I'm not, actually, putting myself on either side of the permission issue. I'm just saying that since one is allowed to be in a phone booth, it is much less likely that anyone will take notice of the logging of a micro. Also, since there is so much vandalism and adverts for illegal activities within the booths, the absence of permission for the placement of a hidden micro will likely be ignore by the owners of the booth, as well as the general population.

I don't want to make this a permission thing.

It's more of a feeling thing. The last place I would, like to, look for a cache is in a phone booth. I've found micros in flier or newspaper vending boxes. It is always the last place I look. Because it is private property.

I just think that everyone should have the same feel of respect for private property.

Enough idealism. -sigh-

39197_3100.jpg

Pepper playing nice!

Mokita!