Wedding Proposals while caching

Rigour

I remember the male member of that team (Brian) visited a cache and left the proposal in the logbook, and then visited the cache later with his girlfriend (Stacey, who didn't know he had been there previously) who saw the note in the logbook. She said "yes." The log is dated 12/01/01 at the See the Sea at Hartshorne cache.

Unfortunately, they seem to have given up geocaching.

[This message was edited by BassoonPilot on August 15, 2002 at 10:23 AM.]

Well actually Rigour you maybe the only one. I don't count. We were in Colorado 3 months before I knew about Geocaching. I just bought my Vista so I could have the Lat/Lon & Altitude of the exact spot where I propossed. A sort of $300 one time only thing I thought untill I discovered Geocaching.com in July 2001. Good thing I did to. So you're unique. Cool. icon_smile.gif

5399_600.jpg

LowlyWorm Says Gig 'em Aggies

Well actually Rigour you maybe the only one. I don't count. We were in Colorado 3 months before I knew about Geocaching. I just bought my Vista so I could have the Lat/Lon & Altitude of the exact spot where I propossed. A sort of $300 one time only thing I thought untill I discovered Geocaching.com in July 2001. Good thing I did to. So you're unique. Cool. icon_smile.gif

5399_600.jpg

LowlyWorm Says Gig 'em Aggies

... i was already married for 6 years when it was introduced to us.

However, we had just started geocaching about a month before Ting's (my wife's) b-day. I decided to send her on her own personal cache hunt. It took a little planning, including asking merchants help (most thought it cleaver and thoughtful, a few just did not get it). And, to make it more a suprise, her search was launched the day before her b-day. On that day, a friend of ours called Ting down (we all work in the same building). They chatted for a bit and then she asked my wife if she knew what she was getting for her b-day. Ting did not know and said as much. Our friend then handed her a card, inside was a poem and a waypoint. Ting was then handed my GPS, which I had spend 2 weeks programming in around 250+ legitmate waypoints (parks, hotels, resteraunts, etc.), all the tracks and routes were erased (I did not want her to skip anything or guess). The GPS got her to a parking lot of a small shopping center and the poem told her where to go. Her first stop was a chocolate/coffee shop. There, she got a gift and her next card with another poem (I wrote these poems myself too) and the next way point. All in all, she had half a dozen waypoints picking up flowers, desserts, CDs (wrapped), DVDs (also wrapped), and dinner. Her last stop was at a place called Sybaris where I was waiting. It is a private club/hotel for couples only with different size suites. Since it was not yet her b-day, I made her wait until one minute after midnight. NOT!

Ya know? I never thought about it, but ever since then, she has been addicted to geocaching. Maybe she is hoping to a repeat performance. I tell you all what though, I am not sure HOW I am gonna top this next year.

Bear

I thought I was a little off, then I looked at my GPS and discovered I accurate to 12 ft.

Geocachers don't NEED to ask for directions!

Proposal Cache

This is the other half of Team Firebird, the proposee, if you will. Danny (the proposer) and I went camping just south of Prescott, AZ, way back in the mountains to celebrate my birthday. It was a beautiful spot, but Danny wanted to plant a cache in "the perfect spot." Sunday, we took this tiny washed-out forest road for 30-40 miles down to Crown King, driving through some of the most beautiful country you could imagine. The leaves were changing and falling all around, and the weather could not have been more perfect. After some home-made fudge from the one-horse town of Crown King, we made our way toward the highway on another dirt road. Finally, Danny found the perfect spot. He asked me to begin the logbook in the cache while he programmed the coordinates into his GPS. I opened the ammo box, and inside was my "birthday present." I opened the box, and inside was the small black box with the ring inside... He got down on one knee and proposed like a gentleman, and it was absolutely perfect. Oh, of course I said YES!

Jamie

About a year ago, I proposed through geocaching. Here is how I did it. First, I had an old ring of hers that I gave her several years before. She thought she lost it, but little did she know, I found it on the floor and hid it. On the day that I was going to propose, I hid the ring I found out in a beautiful park in St. Louis in a small wooden box that I bought for her over seas.

I picked her up from work and told her that we were going to go geocaching. I let her use the GPS (she always wants to be in charge of it) to find the cache. It was right around sundown when we were searching for it. When she found the cache, she opened to box only to realize that the ring was the one thatshe lost. I got down on my knee and proposed. I had the real ring with me. Didn't want to take the chance of having someone find the ring before her. It was great! The sunset was beautiful. Shortly after, we had a picnic in the park.

She loves the idea of us always having the exact coordinates of where we got engaged.

Now, she will never get mad at me and my GPSr. It was all a ploy to keep geocaching icon_smile.gif

Tom

About a year ago, I proposed through geocaching. Here is how I did it. First, I had an old ring of hers that I gave her several years before. She thought she lost it, but little did she know, I found it on the floor and hid it. On the day that I was going to propose, I hid the ring I found out in a beautiful park in St. Louis in a small wooden box that I bought for her over seas.

I picked her up from work and told her that we were going to go geocaching. I let her use the GPS (she always wants to be in charge of it) to find the cache. It was right around sundown when we were searching for it. When she found the cache, she opened to box only to realize that the ring was the one thatshe lost. I got down on my knee and proposed. I had the real ring with me. Didn't want to take the chance of having someone find the ring before her. It was great! The sunset was beautiful. Shortly after, we had a picnic in the park.

She loves the idea of us always having the exact coordinates of where we got engaged.

Now, she will never get mad at me and my GPSr. It was all a ploy to keep geocaching icon_smile.gif

Tom

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

No, but my wife has threatened divorce because of the time I devote to the sport. Instead of romantic evenings together, I now spend my time in the basement spray painting ammo boxes...

It's the clothes Brian, the clothes! Especially that dang pink tutu!!

Alan

I have entertained the idea of a GPS proposal many times but still not sure how she would react to it.

I did go to her school one day (college) and put my GPS in an ammo can and left it in the front seat of her car. Earlier in the day I had gone to a local park and picked a location for us to have a nice picnic lunch and marked the location. Then left it on the screen as the “active goto” but not before erasing my track log. I then picked up our lunch and headed over there. It took her a little while but she finally found me and her lunch.

For my Birthday last year she wanted to surprise me and have me find her with the GPS. So she asked to borrow it and after we had lunch at Wendy’s I gave it to her. The next day I woke up and next to the bed in Hershey kisses she had written, “happy b-day find me” with the GPS sitting next to them. So I got up , got ready and headed out the door. Followed the GPS for about 10 miles and ended up at… Wendy’s… I gave her a call on the cell phone and told her I was there and asked her where she was. She was about 15 miles away at Briscoe Park waiting for me. I then realized what had happened! Since I drive with my GPS on the last time it had been on was when I gave it to her at the Wendy’s, she had gone to the park, turned on the GPS and “marked” her location without waiting for it to get a satellite lock… so the GPS thought she was still at Wendy’s! Doh!!!