Pool for Great Renumbering

Bitbrain and Mopar have it right - kinda.

If you look at caches placed per day from January first through today, and extrapolate the ratio out, it comes to about 4:15 in the morning on May 3.

However, given that the weather is getting nicer in the US (55°F/13°C on Friday in Chicago!), I also think that logically, cache placement frequency will increase.

So, put me down for Friday, May 2, 2003.

Plus - for the best markwell on the subject, there's this thread.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

This whole numbering scheme is hexed!

Why not GCFFFF0 thru GCFFFFF?

In the Markwell'd thread mentioned above, Jeremy says he'll just remove the "C" to take it up to GFFFFF. He also stated that by the time it comes to that, most GPSs will be able to handle more than 6 character waypoint ID's. Anyone out there still restricted to 6 characters?

An interesting side note: Markwell predicted that we wouldn't hit GCFFFF until 7/10/2005! That was at the rate of expansion in October of 2001.

---------------

burnout.gif Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

quote:
Originally posted by Treasure Hunters Inc.:

quote:
Originally posted by tylosaurus:

can anyone explain the great renumbering to me? Is there some reason why they can;t list them all the way to GCZZZZ? And, do we know what the new scheme will be?

OH Boy! are you asking for it. Now you're going to get a Hexidecimal math lesson or two.

I have quite a bit of code running in our office that uses base-32 numbers to keep track of a large amount of files that date back to the world of DOS and 8 character filenames. Piece of cake once you've got the converters correctly coded. The only problem we have with it as you can sometimes get some interesting 4-letters words as part of the filenames! Try explaining that to an angry customer!

Beagle

As soon as you idiot proof something, they go and make a better idiot!

How about this for a numbering idea? icon_confused.gif Break out the different types by different names, like:

VCxxxx = Virtual cache

MCxxxx = Multi cache

LCxxxx = Locationless cache

etc.

That way if you d/l a bunch to your GPS, you won't spend lots of time looking for a container at a Virtual cache.

Put me down for May 19

quote:
Originally posted by Team SiClops:

How about this for a numbering idea? icon_confused.gif Break out the different types by different names, like:

VCxxxx = Virtual cache

MCxxxx = Multi cache

LCxxxx = Locationless cache

etc.

That way if you d/l a bunch to your GPS, you won't spend lots of time looking for a container at a Virtual cache.

Or you can let the spinner do it for you.

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

Just noticed we had hit # 61699 as a cache Id (GCF0E5). Does that mean we are getting close?

-Jennifer

According to his or her personal experience, each person must decide by himself or herself where they have been. Always for me the most important thing is not where the others have gone but the experience lived through.-Reinhold Messner

Solution 1

Do archived caches keep their GC#'s? If so, numbers could just reclaimed when a cache is archived? Does an archived cache need a GC#??

Solution 2

heptadecimal baby

Solution 3

Wipe out all of Team Jedi's caches

Estimate on GC# critical mass.... May 2

"No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible." -George Burns

quote:
Originally posted by fizzymagic:

Well, folks, here's the plot of caches as of today.

Looks like those picking the beginning of May are looking pretty good.

Man, my 5/4/03 pick is looking better and better. icon_smile.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

Given the spring weather and Easter Weekend break, April 25th is the date I pick. By the way do we know what the numbering scheme is going to be after date of critical mass? Will it be GCZZZZ or will it be LC####, VC####, ..., or will it be something else? I am curious to know what plans are being made. Search1128

The Grest Renumbering has occurred. It happened before we reached 64K caches. All the existing waypoints have been renamed, which is going to constitute a royal PITA.

The winner of the pool will be announced tonight!

UPDATE: I was wrong. The Great Renumbering hasn't happened quite yet. Stay tuned.

[This message was edited by fizzymagic on April 22, 2003 at 11:52 PM.]

Well this is really darned annoying! I thought it was said a long time back that they wouldn't change the existing waypoints (though I admit I wasn't sure how that would be achieved). In all honesty, I think the only reason I really care much is that just last night Brokenwing & I spoke to a local outdoor adventure group about geocaching. To encourage their membership to try geocaching, they had us prepare a list of 12 caches for their members to hunt, and they will provide an award to those finding at least 5 from the list in the next month. If they find all 12 they get something extra. Now how do you suppose I instructed them to search for the cache listings on geocaching.com? Yes, by the waypoints! Now I need to try to get in contact with 30+ folks that I don't know and give them new lists! AAAaaccckk!!

T-storm

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching

This time the Great Renumbering actually has occurred. Sorry for the false alarm earlier today. The most recent cache posted to the main page is GCG002.

So the winner of the pool is el10t. Congratulations!

We don't yet know who owns GCFFFF and GCG000, but we're anxiously awaiting the information!

quote:

icon_smile.gif

Wow! Who'd have thought it? I got it right all those weeks ago. I'm glad someone else had already picked my first choice of date.

What do I win?

Rich

mobilis in mobili

quote:

We don't yet know who owns GCFFFF and GCG000, but we're anxiously awaiting the information!

Looks like mtn-man got GCFFFF...then next one posted (as of now) is Unfurl's GCG001

EDIT...I see mtn-man can not only submit his caches at the exact right time, he can also type faster than me!!

homer.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand."

quote:

This time the Great Renumbering actually _has_ occurred. Sorry for the false alarm earlier today. The most recent cache posted to the main page is GCG002.

Just talked to RobAGD. He got GCG000, but I guess it hasn't been approved yet.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Yep, I snuck in a got GCG000 Then I relised that something pooched my cords for the hide icon_frown.gif

The cords I had for the hide were in the middle of the road when laid into my Delorme and City Select and the mapquest map. I double check for fat fingers and for some reason the hide cords were almost .5 miles off as near as I can tell, So when I get some free time friday before work I'll have fun getting a new reading and updating the cache.

icon_frown.gif What a way to start off a new cache

-Robert