Getting media support

Guest tecmage

Guest tecmage

Hey All,

We found out about Geocaching through a story on the CNN Headline News Channel. I know the folks in Kansas City have recently taken a reporter Geocaching, and I was wondering how we get the press in our area interested. There's only a few caches in Iowa (11), and we're placing two or three this weekend (depends on how well this idea works).

We'd like to get the word out to stimulate Geocaching activities here. Any thoughts? confused.gif

Richard and Tracy

Guest wtmrn

Sometimes, media attention can also bring undesirable attention as well, are you sure you want it. Maybe word of mouth is the best introduction, that way we cachers decide the kind of people that participate in the sport, but thats just my opinion- wtmrn

Guest suntzu

Im involved with public affairs for state government, and here are my suggestions:

Take photos! and make them interesting with lots of scenery. Your local newspaper should have a source for accepting e-mailed photos, send them and a little "press release" on your geocaching experiences.

you could call the TV stations (if you live in an area where they are present) ask for the assignment desk and tell them what you have been up to and how it's growing. It depends on the news day, if it's slow, they're happy to come shoot and do a story.

Guest c.mathis

quote:
Originally posted by wtmrn:

Sometimes, media attention can also bring undesirable attention as well, are you sure you want it. Maybe word of mouth is the best introduction, that way we cachers decide the kind of people that participate in the sport, but thats just my opinion- wtmrn

I agree. The last thing I want to see is the general public adopting geocaching as the latest "hip thing to do".

Guest bunkerdave

I think I am of the mind that the sport will mean the most to people who are intro'd to it more personally. I also play golf, and I learned the etiquette and rules and the like from my friends and family who got me into good habits. I think the best way to spread the word is by telling people. This website is a HUGE resource, as well, for getting the word out on etiquette and the proper way to go about our sport/hobby. On that, my commendations to all of you who post for your respect of other's feelings and tastes. This is a site I would send my mother to, to coin an expression. I am pleased to be a part of such a diverse, well mannered "organization."

Guest Sun Tzu

quote:
Originally posted by c.mathis:

The last thing I want to see is the general public adopting geocaching as the latest "hip thing to do".

It IS the latest "hip thing to do".