Places to get foreign currency?

Ok, is it as simple as going to a bank and requesting/placing an order for a specific denomination of a foreign currency? I just found out the Belarusian 50 kapeek note has a squirrel on it (at least in 1992 they did- found one on e-bay) Thought that might make a nice signature item....

Does anyone know if they still have squirrels on the 50 kapeeks, or how to find out? The website I did find on it looks like they still do, but I don't know how old that info is.

Thanks!

I walk the Maze of Moments, but everywhere I turn to, begins a new beginning, but never finds a finish... -Enya, Anywhere Is

[This message was edited by Squirrel Nut on April 08, 2003 at 05:41 AM.]

I did a quick search and found out that it does appear that the squirrel is still present.BY1.JPG

It looks like Belarus may merge its currency with Russia around 2005, however. (Get your squirrels while you can.)

You can purchase currency of most countries through your local bank. As you noted, you will likely have to 'order' it. You may have a problem. The websites I checked were mixed as to whether it was legal to export Belarus currency. If not, you will not be able to purchase it locally.

Since foreign cash is my signiture item, you're welcome to move to KS and follow my logs and scoop up all the cash I leave behind! icon_biggrin.gif Or join the Navy and see the world. icon_cool.gifI swear when I brought back all that cash from overseas I had no idea what I'd end up doing with it....

SVT + GPS = fast cache

Did a bit more digging and found a few places that sell them wholesale (increments of 100)... At about $8 + shipping (for uncirculated bills) it's a heck of a lot cheaper than buying them 1 at a time on e-bay icon_wink.gif. And less time-consuming than joining the armed forces... Though I just may try a bank, since the exchange rate is about 6 cents per 100 Rublei, and the Kapeeks are less than the Rubleis.....

I walk the Maze of Moments, but everywhere I turn to, begins a new beginning, but never finds a finish... -Enya, Anywhere Is

[This message was edited by Squirrel Nut on April 08, 2003 at 09:03 AM.]

I r-mailed my 'net pal in Minsk, she said squirrels are still one the notes. Belarus is kinda tight on cash, so they don't favor sending it abroad. They prefer to exchange currency there. She will be working in the States this summer so she'll change to dollars there and bring back $$$. For just a few dollars worth, you might try a coin dealer, or a letter to their consulate in NYC 1(202)986-1805.

By the way, they are officially called Belarusian Rubles $1 = 1,590r

in 2000, they redoniminated 1 new ruble to 2000 old rubles.

(from CIA World Fact Book, 2002)

If you fly out of larger airports, check the international gates area for a money exchange. At the Pittsburgh Airport there is some sort of an exchange window that will exchange your money coming or going (it was just outside of the international passport area). When my wife flew a lot she would exchange some here before she left and got rid of it when she got back, but you had to have a ticket to get to that side of the general security. Another place to look would be the large downtown banks. They usually have foreign money to exchange at reasonable rates.