What do you think about a "Log book only" cache?

Bugsyboat

I've got no problem with it, especially as a micro. We found one hidden in NoCal that was in a little magnetic, postage-stamp-sized container. Knowing it was magnetic helped.

I'll always contend, it's about the find itself. Of course, my kids may disagree...[:)]

Charlie

"One should never begin a journey by heading in the wrong direction."

I've got no problem with it, especially as a micro. We found one hidden in NoCal that was in a little magnetic, postage-stamp-sized container. Knowing it was magnetic helped.

I'll always contend, it's about the find itself. Of course, my kids may disagree...[icon_smile.gif]

Charlie

"One should never begin a journey by heading in the wrong direction."

As the formentioned forum topics, such as "What is your favorite part of the hunt, etc." Many concluded that the actual find is the gravy, as others said the hunt was their favorite. My post stated that my fav. part was that others took my goodies after I left them, so, if I found yours, I'd be glad to sign the logbook and leave a few goodies, unless this was not to your liking. Then, I'd leave nothing and take your log book. Just kidding. Memories and your John Henry are fine with me..

I like it. I usually don't bother much with the items. The exceptions are travel bugs, signature items, and the oddest of items.

I would just say at least put some energy into it. Make it a cool logbook, or cool container, or both. Perhaps you ask a question, like your favorite color or an experience regarding a specific topic. That way at least the treasure would be the responses to your question.

I heard of some storybook caches in the past, where you continue a story started by the cache placer. That's a cool idea too.

Or you can stamp in, like the letterboxer.

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

I hit a cache recently that had just a logbook and a travel bug, and I thought it was a great idea. As I'm nearing 200 finds, I have all these booty nuggets that I basically have no use for, and an empty cache is a perfect place to give all that stuff a new home. 15T

Think Globally, Act Locally

I've been wondering what to do with the increasingly large container of booty nuggets I'm amassing - more through my continual habit of seeing stuff and thinking "ooh, I should buy that, it would make a great booty nugget" than my actually going out and finding caches, I must admit.

Jolly's solution of creating a new cache with these items really appeals to me.

Thanks for the input. I think I'll hide it and see what happens. It is a big enough container that if others wanted to populate it with stuff there is plenty of room. I basically didn't want to hide one with just a bunch of junk in it and that is all I have right now. icon_razz.gif

I have been looking at this location for about 2 months now thinking it would be a great location for a cache, 400 ft. elevation gain in .12 miles but what a great spot....

Thanks for the input. I think I'll hide it and see what happens. It is a big enough container that if others wanted to populate it with stuff there is plenty of room. I basically didn't want to hide one with just a bunch of junk in it and that is all I have right now. icon_razz.gif

I have been looking at this location for about 2 months now thinking it would be a great location for a cache, 400 ft. elevation gain in .12 miles but what a great spot....

quote:
Originally posted by Rigour:

I've been wondering what to do with the increasingly large container of booty nuggets I'm amassing - more through my continual habit of seeing stuff and thinking "ooh, I should buy that, it would make a great booty nugget" than my actually going out and finding caches, I must admit.

Jolly's solution of creating a new cache with these items really appeals to me.

Like This

... Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took the one less traveled by, ...

unclerojelio

King Pellinore's Minute is ridiculously small and hidden in a ... well you've heard the expression a needle in a hay stack.

Anyway, AOL continues to waste gobs of money on me, trying to get me to sign up. The other day they sent be a disc in a tin. The first thing I thought was that it's just about the size of a log book and would make a great cache. So now I have a log book, couple George$ and a mini-golf pencil inside the tin and I'm currently hunting for a good place to hid it. Over all the cache measures 5in x 5in x 1/8in.

quote:
Originally posted by Team Ekitt10:

Anyway, AOL continues to waste gobs of money on me, trying to get me to sign up. The other day they sent be a disc in a tin. The first thing I thought was that it's just about the size of a log book and would make a great cache. So now I have a log book, couple George$ and a mini-golf pencil inside the tin and I'm currently hunting for a good place to hid it.

There was a great multi around here where one of the legs was an AOL tin. I thought the use and placement of it was fantastic.

... Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took the one less traveled by, ...

unclerojelio

The logbook-only caches do have their place. The obvious one has been stated where size makes it awkward, particularly for those finding the cache. Another is where the locals were unhappy about hidden objects though quite happy with just a notebook. I am not an avid fan of swap-outs but I avoid setting log-book only caches because I enjoy travel bugs passing through and at once cache I found there were sweeties… I wonder if I could go back and bag it twice!

I've often thought micros should be a separate type with their own icon. Maybe one icon/type could cover micros and log-onlies? A "tradeless" type, maybe?

Then again, trading does occur at some micros.

BTW, I'm planning one using an AOL tin, too. They're the same dimensions as a CD case, but with rounded corners. Just thick enough to hold a small spiral notebook, with room for a golf pencil and even a few trinkets.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Another vote for a log book only cache. Although I’ve got less than 30 finds, I’ve pretty much given up trading items. Too much junk in caches. I usually bring something along just in case, but I never trade just for the sake of it. So 90% of the time I sign the log book and that’s it. Another benefit is that more people may hide caches if they don’t have the expense (no matter how small) or the effort in gathering the initial items to stock the cache.

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Bukosky:

No trophies for me, usually, so finding only a logbook in a cache would suit me fine. Though I do carry a few items when needed.

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin

This is my trademark TNLNSL icon_smile.gif

I carry a pocket full of golf balls just in case.

Trudy goes for the travel bugs, I try to drop them off. Just finding the cache is really all I need.

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Bukosky:

No trophies for me, usually, so finding only a logbook in a cache would suit me fine. Though I do carry a few items when needed.

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin

This is my trademark TNLNSL icon_smile.gif

I carry a pocket full of golf balls just in case.

Trudy goes for the travel bugs, I try to drop them off. Just finding the cache is really all I need.

That's exactly what I was thinking of when I wrote my comment earlier!

I always wondered why the micros didn't have their own icons so you could tell right away they were different from 'normal' Like a mini cache can (or the word MICRO written across it).

quote:
Originally posted by mrcpu:

A cache icon with a rectangle in the centre with 3 semi circles on the left side showing the binding and shadowing on the top and right showing the pages.

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/4525_1600.gif

**Try something 3 times before giving up on it! The 1st time may be bad weather, the 2nd may be dead GPS batteries, the 3rd you may spot that hiding spot!!**