Decon - Waterproof containers ?

Has anyone had experience with the plastic decontamination containers offered on Cheaper Than Dirt. Are they really waterproof.

I have seen metal Decon containers but never plastic. I like the size of those over ammo boxes for a particular cache I'm working on. But it will have to stand up to rain and snow. It wouldn't be submerged.

They are pretty water tight. There is a problem with them for some people. The lid takes some effort to make sure it's sealed good. If cachers would take the time to ensure they properly close the container then the decon box would make a good mini. But some people seem to have trouble replacing a screw on lid so they'd definitely have trouble making sure a decon box was snapped tightly closed.

I commanded an NBC unit for almost 10 yrs and have a bunch of them laying around somewhere. I had considered using some to place caches but the difficultly with the lid is the only reason I haven't used them.

I recently did an event cache, and they used a decon container for one of the caches. it is air and water tight, and as Wadcutter stated, it does mean that the cachers need to take the time to go and make sure the lid *snaps* shut.

I bought a GPS. Now I get lost with style.

A while back, I ordered a batch of these for $1.39... then when I found out I liked them so much I went back to the same place and found they had upped the price to $3.99. I didn't like them *that* much. Now, I grab them when I can find them if I can find them in the $2 range.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:
Originally posted by Maxine&Me:

Has anyone had experience with the plastic decontamination offered on Cheaper Than Dirt. Are they really waterproof.

I have seen metal Decon containers but never plastic. I like the size of those over ammo boxes for a particular cache I'm working on. But it will have to stand up to rain and snow. It wouldn't be submerged.

As long as the rubber seal is in place, they will do fine outdoors. However, that doesn't mean they can be submerged for any extended period of time.

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

They are pretty watertight, but not totally. I've purchased several dozen over the last year and have yet to find one with the rubber seal. I've had one or two get damp inside, but no major leaks.

Make sure your logbook is in a ziploc just in case. Same for any trade items that might be damaged by water. I find that 3x5" ziplocs found at some crafts stores are perfect for the decon boxes.

I also sand off the warning on the lid. Don't want to scare muggles away.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

If the decon container is hanging by the strap and hook, the way the lid hangs over can still prevent rain from entering, even if it isn't completely snapped on tight. Never saw one with a rubber seal on it, though. I find they make great containers, not yet a micro and not a fullsized; all of the geocachers that have found mine have closed the lid properly. Good idea about sanding the lid smooth, especially post 9-11.

I got mine at Colemans Surplus in western central PA.

Qty of 4 for $9.95

Scroll down about half-way:

http://www.galleria-e.com/cgi-bin/colemans.storefront/en/catalog/1014

They also have 12 of these for $1.00

http://www.galleria-e.com/isroot/Colemans/SiteImages/1303.jpg

I bought them, but have yet to use them. They have snap lids that are about the same as a 35mm film can, but they are thinner and longer.

I figure these will work great for the hint stages of multi-caches....

Art

www.yankeetoys.org

www.BudBuilt.com

www.pirate4x4.com

quote:
Now I am curious, what does it say on the lid?

Caution, poisionous and caustic hazard. Keep out of eye, mouth or wound. Use water to wash toxic agent or decon solution out of the eye or wound, then seek medical aid.

I used to write No Hazard in large letters over the warning, but now, I simply sand them off. I just peel off the label on the side.

i{bgi]"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry[/i]

I've had a cache out for a long while in one. Made it through a Michigan winter even. No problems at all. I love it and will probably be replacing another I have with it since it's so water tight and this other one is on the ground.

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Saving geocaches - one golf ball at a time.

Flat_MiGeo_A88.gif

quote:
Originally posted by The Shorts:

I pick mine up for a buck a peice at a local Army surpluss store. They all had a rubber seal and they work great. I have been able to take off the stickers and put on my own custom made wp geocaching sticker. I get great reviews from them and I can hide them almost anywhere

Dang, where do you live? I'd love to get about 100 of them for $1 a piece. icon_wink.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

Ranger Surplus sold them for $1.29, but ran out. When they got a new shipment, they tripled the price icon_mad.gif .

I've purchased about 50 of these. Not one had the rubber gasket. I've rolled up Teflon tape (the kind plumbers use) and put it where the gasket would have gone.

I have noticed some variations in the snugness of the lid. Some have very tight fits and are pretty much waterproof. Others seem to have a slightly looser fit and can let in some moisture. I make sure I use the ones with tight lids if the cache will go in a wet area.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

I used to write _ No Hazard _ in large letters over the warning, but now, I simply sand them off. I just peel off the label on the side.

Quicker than sanding - just use a paint scraper with a sharp blade. You can simply slice the lettering right off.

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

quote:
Quicker than sanding - just use a paint scraper with a sharp blade. You can simply slice the lettering right off.

I just tried that and it worked great. A lot easier than rubbing away with sandpaper. Took about 30 seconds, instead of 3 minutes. Thanks for some great advice PS!