First cache in Cuba!

quote:
Originally posted by CaveDiver:

Not sure if any of you plan on travelling to Cuba in the near future, but if you're in the Havana area please look up my cache Cuba Libre.

Let me know how it goes...

Neat! But you can't get there from here. icon_smile.gif

goldfish.gif

"He who hesitates is lost"

quote:

Not sure if any of you plan on travelling to Cuba in the near future, but if you're in the Havana area please look up my cache Cuba Libre.

Let me know how it goes...

Neat! But you can't get there from here. icon_smile.gif

goldfish.gif

"He who hesitates is lost"

... you can still get to Cuba. Of course, it won't be as easy for you as it is for folks who don't live in the USA, but its still very straightforward.

Just go to Mexico, Nassau, Jamaica or the Caymans and go from there! I have several diving friends who are from the US that do it all the time.

Maybe someone could help me out here: the last time the United Nations voted to have the US remove the embargo on Cuba, only three countries voted in favor of the embargo - the US, Israel... and who was the third? Just curious.

I guess since Florida gave Bush the election, he has to take care of his brother Jeb and make the Cuban-Americans happy right?

PS - no, my cache is NOT worth going to Cuba for! icon_wink.gif

... you can still get to Cuba. Of course, it won't be as easy for you as it is for folks who don't live in the USA, but its still very straightforward.

Just go to Mexico, Nassau, Jamaica or the Caymans and go from there! I have several diving friends who are from the US that do it all the time.

Maybe someone could help me out here: the last time the United Nations voted to have the US remove the embargo on Cuba, only three countries voted in favor of the embargo - the US, Israel... and who was the third? Just curious.

I guess since Florida gave Bush the election, he has to take care of his brother Jeb and make the Cuban-Americans happy right?

quote:

I'm not sure if its legal for Americans to go to Cuba even through a third nation. Anyone know?

This whole thing reminds of that Seinfeld show where Kramer hires a bunch of non-Cuban Latino-type guys to manufacturer Cuban cigars here in the USA where it's illegal to import the "real" ones. Laughed my a-- off icon_smile.gif

Alan

quote:

I'm not sure if its legal for Americans to go to Cuba even through a third nation. Anyone know?

This whole thing reminds of that Seinfeld show where Kramer hires a bunch of non-Cuban Latino-type guys to manufacturer Cuban cigars here in the USA where it's illegal to import the "real" ones. Laughed my a-- off icon_smile.gif

Alan

I discovered this http://www.dtcuba.com/eng/datos_raduana.asp

last summer when I was planning a trip to Cuba.

quote:
A traveler requires express authorization by the Ministry of Communications to import communication means and equipment, including radio transmitters and transceivers, fax terminals, telephone switchboards and equipment, exchanges, telegraphic and telex machines, professional radio and TV receivers other than household radios and TV sets, Geographical Positioning System (GPS) receivers, satellite antennas and receiving stations, and satellite communication ground stations. In the event that any of the foregoing items is part of a traveler's accompanied or unaccompanied personal luggage and the above-mentioned authorization is not available upon Customs clearance, the item will be held by Customs for a term of up to thirty (30) days, which may be extended for an additional thirty (30) day period on request. In case that the appropriate authorization has not been produced upon expiration of this period, the item will be deemed as relinquished.

I'd hate to see an unsuspecting cacher lose their unit even though they say it will be returned upon exit.

Cheers, Olar

wavey.gif

they have some kind of approval for scientific, educational or humanitarian reasons. Not much point to the embargo that I can see, but hey... maybe its a holdover from the missile crisis back in the 60s. Let's see... you guys play nice with Japan now, so eventually I'm sure you'll kiss and make up with Cuba too.

Also, don't be fooled by travel agencies (some in Canada, too, which is embarassing) that tell you they've got a "loophole" whereby they take your money and mail you an all-expenses paid "invitation" to visit Cuba. According to good old Uncle Sam, that's a no-no as well.

My buddies simply go and don't bring anything back... never had any problems as far as I've heard, but I'm sure there's a first time for everything.

One last thing - as I understand it (and I may be wrong about this), its NOT illegal for Americans to go to Cuba... it would be unconstitutional (in the land of the free) to restrict a citizen's right to travel. Unfortunately, it IS illegal for a US Citizen to spend money while they're in Cuba! (I thought that was a great loophole myself, actually - way to go Uncle Sam!).

Hopefully there are players from other countries represented on the Geocaching board, so I'm hoping for the best.

quote:
Originally posted by halldorr:

We were looking at placing a cache in Cuba when we go on vacation in September but then saw that there was the ban on GPS units...so I guess it will stay home...

There's no ban. You just have to ask for permission.

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

A few years ago a friend of mine who is an officer in Her Royal Highness's Canadian Armed Forces wanted to go to Cuba on vacation. He needed to get permission from DND (department of national defence) and have a security briefing before going and a debrief upon return.

The stupidest part of all of this is that he is an offices with a part of the CF Reserve that deals only with Cadets (Kids 13-19 in a military sponsored program 1 night a week, plus camping trips and summer camps.. www.cadets.ca ). What could he spill the Cubans?!?!

From what I understand these rules have changed so that they are now based on your security clearance and not just applied to everyone. Another friend and fellow Geocacher had fairly high clearance when he worked at the Norad complex in North Bay. Apparently he is not allowed to travel to Cuba at all for another couple of years!

Cheers,

Rob

Mobile Cache Command