Why did you join?

mikemtn

I really couldn't care less about Member Only caches. *IF* I ever use the option, it will be for some kind of temporary event, and then I'll turn it off. I *want* people to find my caches; Why would I want to restrict access?

Web-ling

25021_1100.jpg

[This message was edited by Web-ling on March 11, 2002 at 08:17 PM.]

I joined because I feel that the people who enjoy geocaching should be the ones to support it. Consider the cache in tash out philosophy; we clean up the environment so that we may enjoy it forever. Well, Jeremy doesnt need a bath...he needs money to make this web site exist, and because of that he's got my $30!

Regarding MOC, I will never do one. I am not going to punish others for not thinking like me. I chose to pay, that doesnt mean anyone else has to. I think they should, but I would never exclude them if they dont.

To see Geocaching continue --- and if Jeremy can go full time, ggod for him!

_ __ ____________________________________________________________ __ _

On my first day of school, my parents dropped me off at the wrong nursery -- there I was, surrounded by trees and shrubs.....

to support the site. Most of my caches are geared towards newbies to the sport thusfore I would not force them to pay. One thing I hope for is that the members only caches are worth being members only(i.e spectacular views, nicer prizes). I don't want to pay a fee for caches that are run of the mill. Just my opinion

geosigbuscard.jpg

For all the sore feet, aching backs, stiff necks, cuts, scrapes, bruises, etc, etc,....,$30 is a bargain! I'd have paid much more (don't tell Jeremy) I hadn't had this much fun since Quaaludes:D & still feel better the next day!

I'll do a MOC when all participants are members.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

For all the sore feet, aching backs, stiff necks, cuts, scrapes, bruises, etc, etc,....,$30 is a bargain! I'd have paid much more (don't tell Jeremy) I hadn't had this much fun since Quaaludesicon_biggrin.gif & still feel better the next day!

I'll do a MOC when all participants are members.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch. - Robert A. Heinlein.

Ever notice how the young and idealistic always have someone in the background paying the bills?

Cool site Jeremy. I would prefer not to see it cluttered with pop-ups.

N 35° 5.079'

W 106° 23.389'

[This message was edited by TijerasGC on March 13, 2002 at 02:20 AM.]

icon_biggrin.gif I absolutely purchased a membership for the sole reason to support Jeremy and Geocaching. I too meant to hit that paypal button many times in the past, but did not do so. Can't even tell you why I didn't, don't know myself.

MOC's? Not interested, there are plenty of caches out there to find, and I'm planning on adding to the total soon myself. I am going to make my first effort to hide a cache a quality one, with a certain degree of difficulty, using the lessons I've learned from the caches I've found and the wonderful exchanges of information in these forums.

This is a great activity, good clean fun, family friendly, and NOT too expensive for a single parent to engage in with the kids. I love it, and I hope everyone will keep in mind that in the overall scheme of things, Geocaching is a pretty low level thing to stress out over...

Keep up the good work Jeremy, thanks to all the folks that I've traded posts with, and thanks to all the people that have taken the time to contribute to this activity rather than complain about it constantly. The kids and I are looking forward to doing this for some time to come. icon_cool.gif

icon_biggrin.gif I absolutely purchased a membership for the sole reason to support Jeremy and Geocaching. I too meant to hit that paypal button many times in the past, but did not do so. Can't even tell you why I didn't, don't know myself.

MOC's? Not interested, there are plenty of caches out there to find, and I'm planning on adding to the total soon myself. I am going to make my first effort to hide a cache a quality one, with a certain degree of difficulty, using the lessons I've learned from the caches I've found and the wonderful exchanges of information in these forums.

This is a great activity, good clean fun, family friendly, and NOT too expensive for a single parent to engage in with the kids. I love it, and I hope everyone will keep in mind that in the overall scheme of things, Geocaching is a pretty low level thing to stress out over...

Keep up the good work Jeremy, thanks to all the folks that I've traded posts with, and thanks to all the people that have taken the time to contribute to this activity rather than complain about it constantly. The kids and I are looking forward to doing this for some time to come. icon_cool.gif

So is anyone actually going to vote that they joined just for the Mocaches after all the arguments? The question seems a bit loaded given the present mood of the forum readers. At least you didn't put an option to not join at all.

Thanks

mcb

Actually, I didn't know there was even an option until the discussions. I even had to hunt it down to join. Ever heard of shareware? This is one of my favorite sites, my favorite sports and can you believe all the great people I've met becuase of this board? $30 is well worth it.

quote:
Originally posted by mcb:

So is anyone actually going to vote that they joined just for the Mocaches after all the arguments? The question seems a bit loaded given the present mood of the forum readers. At least you didn't put an option to not join at all.

Thanks

mcb

Wouldn't that kind of be the point? I doubt if anyone joined for MOC's. It's just a vocal minority that seems to have taken them on as the next Jihad. icon_rolleyes.gif

348_1002.gif

quote:
Originally posted by mcb:

Thanks

mcb

Wouldn't that kind of be the point? I doubt if anyone joined for MOC's. It's just a vocal minority that seems to have taken them on as the next Jihad. icon_rolleyes.gif

348_1002.gif

quote:
Originally posted by mikemtn:

Why did you pay $30.00 to be a Charter Member?

Just two choices. Please pick the one that best describes your decision to join.

[This message was edited by Jeremy Irish on March 11, 2002 at 05:44 PM.]

I joined because I realized how much information flows through this web site and I know it can't be cheap.

george

We haven't joined yet (waiting until payday), but will willingly and eagerly. It is a VERY disappointing weekend when something keeps us from geocaching. This has been just about the best thing for us as a family.. it is getting us out and doing a very fun activity together! Like many, I wondered how someone was paying for all of this. $30 is a small price to pay to keep away from the advertising nuisances, and keep this the wonderful site it is! icon_smile.gif

We haven't joined yet (waiting until payday), but will willingly and eagerly. It is a VERY disappointing weekend when something keeps us from geocaching. This has been just about the best thing for us as a family.. it is getting us out and doing a very fun activity together! Like many, I wondered how someone was paying for all of this. $30 is a small price to pay to keep away from the advertising nuisances, and keep this the wonderful site it is! icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by mikemtn:

Why did you pay $30.00 to be a Charter Member?

Just two choices...

I started to vote, but the "just two choices" reminded me of the trick question, "Are you still beating your wife?"

I paid primarily to support geocaching and Jeremy. But that doesn't exclude the possibility of me one day placing or hunting a MOC, and I wouldn't want the results of the poll to be used as "proof" that MOC's are so minor in importance and devisive in nature that they should be eliminated.

I'm not making any accusations about the mikemtn's motives; I'm just aware that data can be misapplied by others to support agendas. Call me cynical...

Worldtraveler