What Are These Things?

Guest Paul Lamble

Guest Paul Lamble

What in the world do we call these devices that lead us around so much? What is the common name?

Is GPS a good name for the hand-held device itself? Do you commonly refer to it as something else? (Something polite, I hope.)

I'm writing an article about them and the sport, and I'm limited on word count, so I need some shorthand to use since I reference the device so much.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Paul Lamble

Guest makaio

John beat me to it, but that's exactly how they should be referred to, as that is all they do - receive signals from GPS satellites. You might call them 'handheld receivers' to emphasize the fact that they are mobile units versus those which are mounted in vehicle (cars,boats, etc.)dashboards, etc.

Guest Snowtrail

I've told people about GPS systems, which is a little redundant. Doesn't really matter, most of the people I talk to have no idea even when I say the long name - and I still have to explain what it is and what it does.

Guest dustystar

You are way to technical! Since my etrex is yellow and it generally shows me how far a location is in a straight line or "as the crow flies", I call it the "Yellow Crow".

Guest bunkerdave

I have long referred to my Magellan MAP 330 as "My Little Green Buddy." It's an "LGB." Not to be confused with LGM's. I have occasionaly used the term "Gipper" or "Gips" but not as often.

Guest Cache-potato

quote:
Originally posted by bunkerdave:

It's an "LGB." Not to be confused with LGM's. .

I have heard reports of LGM's using LGB's. However, I refer to mine as "THE WAY".

TO INFINITY AND BEYOND!! icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Cache-potato

quote:
Originally posted by bunkerdave:

It's an "LGB." Not to be confused with LGM's. .

I have heard reports of LGM's using LGB's. However, I refer to mine as "THE WAY".

TO INFINITY AND BEYOND!! icon_biggrin.gif

Guest PharoaH

Yes, we understand it should be referred to as a GPS Receiver. However, it is just plain easier to call it a GPS. While the nickname GPS may be a misnomer, it is something that new people will "pick up" and recognize because its easier to say than Handheld GPS Receiver. just my .02

Guest geckoguy

I have a GeoDiscovery Geode GPS Module for my Handspring Visor Platinum. I would call it the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy, v 1.0, but I'm lazy. I call it my Geode or my GPS. Geckogirl calls it my Geo-thingy.