Hydrocaching list...

Guest ClayJar

Guest ClayJar

quote:
Originally posted by glenn95630:

I wonder where you want to draw the line on the caches on islands. Some of the islands are getting kinda big...

I'm just building a list right now. At least a few of these will have to be weeded out, I imagine.

Should it count if you drove over a bridge to the island? Of course not, I'd say. Should it count if you take a ferry? Well, that's really just a moving bridge, so to speak. What about a place with the option of a passenger (i.e. not vehicle) ferry? I suppose that'll make the cut, but it'll get, say, one water drop. A cache on an island 4 miles out in the middle of Mobile Bay might get four drops, and some of the really tough ones will get five drops.

So, basically, don't go too far with the "well, Australia is surrounded by water" thing. I'm trying to collect enough potential hydrocaches to actually read them all and decide just what a hydrocache really needs to be considered a true hydrocache. Let's keep this going, and we'll work out the technicalities later. icon_biggrin.gif

Guest ClayJar

quote:
Originally posted by glenn95630:

I wonder where you want to draw the line on the caches on islands. Some of the islands are getting kinda big...

I'm just building a list right now. At least a few of these will have to be weeded out, I imagine.

Should it count if you drove over a bridge to the island? Of course not, I'd say. Should it count if you take a ferry? Well, that's really just a moving bridge, so to speak. What about a place with the option of a passenger (i.e. not vehicle) ferry? I suppose that'll make the cut, but it'll get, say, one water drop. A cache on an island 4 miles out in the middle of Mobile Bay might get four drops, and some of the really tough ones will get five drops.

So, basically, don't go too far with the "well, Australia is surrounded by water" thing. I'm trying to collect enough potential hydrocaches to actually read them all and decide just what a hydrocache really needs to be considered a true hydrocache. Let's keep this going, and we'll work out the technicalities later. icon_biggrin.gif

Guest BassoonPilot

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

dadgum. None in NJ. Even the "Weird NJ" one is oddly enough in NY. As soon as it water temps warm up I fully intend to fix that. Right now ocean temp's hovering around 44 degrees. I'm a pretty hardcore PWC rider, but not THAT hardcore. Soon as it hits the upper 50's I'm out there!

You know, Stayfloopy just e-mailed me one-star driving directions to Kernbob's "Weird NJ" cache that go to within 10 feet of the cache. I think he may have it in for me. icon_wink.gif

(No, he didn't really.)

Guest BassoonPilot

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

dadgum. None in NJ. Even the "Weird NJ" one is oddly enough in NY. As soon as it water temps warm up I fully intend to fix that. Right now ocean temp's hovering around 44 degrees. I'm a pretty hardcore PWC rider, but not THAT hardcore. Soon as it hits the upper 50's I'm out there!

You know, Stayfloopy just e-mailed me one-star driving directions to Kernbob's "Weird NJ" cache that go to within 10 feet of the cache. I think he may have it in for me. icon_wink.gif

(No, he didn't really.)

Guest stayfloopy

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

(No, he didn't really.)

Oops, did I forget to mention those directions were only for special cars that can convert to hovercrafts? Silly me. icon_smile.gif

Guest stayfloopy

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

(No, he didn't really.)

Oops, did I forget to mention those directions were only for special cars that can convert to hovercrafts? Silly me. icon_smile.gif

Guest kernbob

quote:
Originally posted by Ttepee:

Kernbob,

I was just talking to my sister this past weekend about borrowing their canoe paddles... ONE OF THESE DAYS!! icon_smile.gif

Ttepee, paddles and vests(2) can be found at n41 26.807 w074 06.868, call 845-496-1036 and I'll make sure they're available. I need to maintenance that cache soon anyway. so call and I'll get out of this seat and get motivated.

I have the feeling you're going to be here tomorrow Hehehe!!

Kernbob

------------------

garyu2.jpg

home.hvc.rr.com/musashi

Guest kernbob

quote:
Originally posted by Ttepee:

Kernbob,

I was just talking to my sister this past weekend about borrowing their canoe paddles... ONE OF THESE DAYS!! icon_smile.gif

Ttepee, paddles and vests(2) can be found at n41 26.807 w074 06.868, call 845-496-1036 and I'll make sure they're available. I need to maintenance that cache soon anyway. so call and I'll get out of this seat and get motivated.

I have the feeling you're going to be here tomorrow Hehehe!!

Kernbob

------------------

garyu2.jpg

home.hvc.rr.com/musashi

Guest DisQuoi

quote:
Originally posted by Steak N Eggs:

This may or may not be on topic, but can someone tell what would be a good UNDERWATER container? I want to place a cache in a river here but dont have the exp/knowledge of a good H2O tight container.

An ammo box with it's gasket intact will keep contents bone dry (at least at 3-5 feet depth)

Guest glenn95630

quote:
Originally posted by Steak N Eggs:

This may or may not be on topic, but can someone tell what would be a good UNDERWATER container? I want to place a cache in a river here but dont have the exp/knowledge of a good H2O tight container.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000048.html

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000680.html

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000960.html

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001444.html

Glad I scanned to the botttom of this before posting a reply. The Cranberry Osprey Geocache only is accessible by canoe, poke boat, raft, etc., but it is not on an island. It originally was a submerged cache but was plundered and replaced at slightly different coordinates. It has been found only twice during its several months of existence. Thanks for adding it to the list.

There are a couple in my area...and I plan on planting one or two myself this summer. One is on an island in the river....I haven't had time to hit it yet, but it is on my "to do" list when I have time to go without kids, http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=8762

Another is a multicache, with its starting co-ordinates being at the boarding point of a ferry, and the clues to figure out the final location being found on the ferry. The final cache location is not actually on the ferry, but as a ferry ride is pretty much a requirment, I would think this qualifies as well.... http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=22104

ummmm....not sure what to say here....so ummm, well errrr, uhhhh, well I guess that's it.

I just finished going through all the Georgia caches looking for hydrocaches. I may have missed some (I looked at the list, not at all 330+ caches), but I found nine.

Lake Rabun Geocache (GC621)

Shifting Tides Geocache (GC24A1)

Isles of the 'Hooch #1 (GC25DE)

Isles of the 'Hooch #2 (GC276A)

Kayak~Kache (GC276C)

Kayak Cache (GC2EB8)

Cypress Safari (GC38E8)

Hidden on the Hooch #1: Robin Hood's Gold (GC412F)

Lake Jackson Cache Hide (GC5680)

Oh, and at least until we get cache attributes, I've added "- hydrocache" to the end of the name on all my hydrocaches. Now if you do a keyword search for "hydrocache", there they are. icon_smile.gif

I just finished going through all the Georgia caches looking for hydrocaches. I may have missed some (I looked at the list, not at all 330+ caches), but I found nine.

Lake Rabun Geocache (GC621)

Shifting Tides Geocache (GC24A1)

Isles of the 'Hooch #1 (GC25DE)

Isles of the 'Hooch #2 (GC276A)

Kayak~Kache (GC276C)

Kayak Cache (GC2EB8)

Cypress Safari (GC38E8)

Hidden on the Hooch #1: Robin Hood's Gold (GC412F)

Lake Jackson Cache Hide (GC5680)

Oh, and at least until we get cache attributes, I've added "- hydrocache" to the end of the name on all my hydrocaches. Now if you do a keyword search for "hydrocache", there they are. icon_smile.gif

Florida reporting in.

This is a multi-hydro that took a lot of

effort from Boonie Man

Capt.Boonies Lost Treasure

This is one of my Hydro caches.

There is a humorus log.

Pirates Plunder

This is one of mine that you have to walk out in

a brackish river to get to.

Seatrout's hydro

Horrors of Spider Island

This one does not require a boat,only nerves of

steel to cross above a creek.icon_wink.gif

Walk the Plank

Hydro cache

Sebastian Island

Buggies island

seatrou

[This message was edited by SeaTrout on August 03, 2003 at 04:28 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Breaktrack:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=34004

This one can only be reached by boat, or by the passenger ferry the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department runs on Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays & Sundays only. It has yet to have a single log/find.

Thanks,

Breaktrack. icon_biggrin.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

Another of my caches has now become a hydro, http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=22418

Sargent 4X4 has been cut off from the rest of the barrier island it is on by a cut made by storms last February. You could drive to it before, but not now. It is up the coast from the town of Sargent, Texas.

Also, still not a single find on the virtual on Matagorda Island State Park. If I ever get permission to put a traditional out there, I'll change it to that, till then, it's still the lighthouse virtual.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.