Too boring for a signature Item? Need your opinions.

I am an audiologist & do presentations about noise exposure & protecting your hearing etc.

I was thinking of having my signature item a pair of foam earplugs with a little information on hearing loss & protecting your hearing.

My question for you is if you saw this item in a geocache would it interest you?

[This message was edited by HearingTurtle on August 08, 2003 at 08:11 AM.]

As a former Tank driver, loader, gunner and tank commander, (and shooter also) I agree with Criminal, it's a great idea...lol.

Of course, I already have a bunch of these silly things around the house (waaaaaay too many trips in C-130s) so I'd probably take something else.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

ZZzzzzzz........

Huh? What? Oh, Sure I'd take it!

Sounds like a great sig. item. (no pun intended) As a former aircraft welder, who's worked in many a noisy shop, I've come to appreciate the value of a good pair of ear plugs. I use them now when I mow and weed-eat.

OG

Prophetically Challenged (or is that Pathetically?)

quote:
Originally posted by The Gowen Family:

I would take them, we use them when we are out working in the yard and sometimes when we have headaces and don't want to much noise bothering us. We were tempted to use a pair last night to drown out the kids, they were unusually loud last night. Must of been because of the storm that blew thru.

Water works better if your goal is to drown someone. They merely choke on earplugs, so the results aren't as dramatic.

130036_200.gif

While it is a very useful item for many people and I would probably take a pair myself, I have to wonder about what it is you are advertising. This could be viewed as a commercial item by some people and that would be a no-no for geocaching. If you put a generic statement on it like, "Help prevent hearing loss" then you aren't advertising. It's when you put your firm's name and phone number on it that it becomes commercial. How is this different from a McDonald's toy? The line is blurred here. There have been many discussions about commercial items and I have no simple answer.

When I leave a McDonald's toy in a cache, I'm telling someone that they don't have to go there to get one. When you place earplugs in a cache, you are saying, "Pay me a visit so I can check your ears."

Every trade item comes from somewhere, most I've seen are stamped with a business name and/or logo. I don't have a problem with what you are trying to do with the earplugs. Just don't make your advert too blatant, I guess.

Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness bandbass.gif

What makes a signature item interesting to me is that it is identified with the cacher that left it. I agree, if this is an ad I will get irritated. But if you leave a pair of earplugs with your cacher name and a little blurb on hearing loss I think that is a great signature item. My rule of thumb for commerical items is if it contains your address and/or phone number you are pushing the line. Just my two cents.

quote:
Originally posted by Team GPSaxophone:

When you place earplugs in a cache, you are saying, "Pay me a visit so I can check your ears."

This may be true for some. I work for a non-profit children's center. We only service low-income families. Only bill medicaid or write it off. So, in my situation this isn't the case.

If you're curious this is what I made up:HearingTurtle's signature Item & I attached a pair of earplugs.

quote:
Originally posted by HearingTurtle:

quote:
Originally posted by Team GPSaxophone:

When you place earplugs in a cache, you are saying, "Pay me a visit so I can check your ears."

This may be true for some. I work for a non-profit children's center. We only service low-income families. Only bill medicaid or write it off. So, in my situation this isn't the case.

If you're curious this is what I made up:http://hometown.aol.com/hearingturtle/page1.html & I attached a pair of earplugs.

Excellent work! I'd have no problems with that in a cache.

Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness bandbass.gif

I agree with the earlier comment that what makes a sig item cool is that it is attached somehow to the person that left it. We have a cacher in the area that makes a button as his sig item. Its simple, but its also unique. The button itself isnt valuable, but that he made it, makes it cool to find one. Sounds like a great idea, and as it seems this sport has a number of hearing impaired (or soon to be so) participants, probably a timely one as well. icon_smile.gif

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nebraskache/

Since you're designing the card (which looks nice) I think it would be amusing if you added how caching affects it -- put a line in for "geocaching in quiet woods", then maybe one at a higher level around busy street for "urban micros". And, in my case, a little higher level for "wife [me] complaining about the cost of a new GPS..."

quote:
Originally posted by fat_cat:

Since you're designing the card (which looks nice) I think it would be amusing if you added how caching affects it -- put a line in for "geocaching in quiet woods", then maybe one at a higher level around busy street for "urban micros". And, in my case, a little higher level for "wife [me] complaining about the cost of a new GPS..."

Great idea. Thanks!

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

I can think of a lot of things that could have adds on them. A pre-ban lower reciever for an AR-15 laser engraved with any business name would be very nice.

I'd grab it, even without the laser engraving.

130036_200.gif