New Forum

Looks like someone is gonna have a long night! And some people question weather or not we should pay to support this?.....Im in for 30 bucks....maybe not as a charter member ( Not sure Im sold on that icon idea or members only thing) but a donation at least.

Thanks Jeremy

quote:
Originally posted by Web-ling:

It's going to take a little getting used to, but so far it looks good! icon_smile.gif

Very impressive!!! But ...

If I cancel out of an Instant UBBCode that has no text, the following is inserted at the end of the message text:

null

The cancel button doesn't seem to work properly.

=====================================================================

A man with a GPS receiver knows where he is; a man with two GPS receivers is never sure.

[This message was edited by Rich in NEPA on March 06, 2002 at 05:36 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Web-ling:

It's going to take a little getting used to, but so far it looks good! icon_smile.gif

Very impressive!!! But ...

If I cancel out of an Instant UBBCode that has no text, the following is inserted at the end of the message text:

null

The cancel button doesn't seem to work properly.

A man with a GPS receiver knows where he is; a man with two GPS receivers is never sure.

[This message was edited by Rich in NEPA on March 06, 2002 at 05:36 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by tslack2000:

I'm glad I read this thread before posting a new topic on avatars. I got on just a 1/2 hour ago and there were no avatars being displayed to begin with, so I'm still in the dark on how they even look or where they appear.

They appear under the username. If you click on a user's name it will take you to their profile, where you can see the avatar photo. At least until I can bring back the new style sheets.

Jeremy

I was wondering, if we choose to be notified via IM, is it going off the email address we have registered with geocaching.com? I was wondering if that can be changed, but only in the case of IM notification and left the same for all other traffic?

And the other question I have: I'm from South Jordan, Utah USA but on these forums it says I'm from USA only. My profile is updated with the more specific location info of city and state, but it's not being displayed. Is this a bug or user error?

Tyler Slack's Geocaching in Utah

ok giving it a try..... how come the subject line doesn't auto fill in when responding to a topic... hmmm this looks more like a new topic but it seems to be a reply... I'll just leave it blank and see what happens.

I'm one of those people that it takes awhile to get used to things....I'm sure all the new stuff is a good thing... just have to get used to it. icon_confused.gif

ok giving it a try..... how come the subject line doesn't auto fill in when responding to a topic... hmmm this looks more like a new topic but it seems to be a reply... I'll just leave it blank and see what happens.

I'm one of those people that it takes awhile to get used to things....I'm sure all the new stuff is a good thing... just have to get used to it. icon_confused.gif

For the most part, the new forum is pretty cool.

Though I do miss the information about the poster (number of posts, etc.) being right beneath their name and not at the bottom of their post.

Thanks for a pretty smooth transition...

quote:

And the other question I have: I'm from South Jordan, Utah USA but on these forums it says I'm from USA only. My profile is updated with the more specific location info of city and state, but it's not being displayed. Is this a bug or user error?

I hate to quote myself (actually I don't mind it) but I'm still waiting for an answer to at least this question. Who know? Maybe it will be fixed when I post this message. I'm about to find out!

Do you see what I mean? I'm from USA as it states at the bottom of my posts. But I want it to display the city and state, or at least the state, too! What's up with that?

And as long as I'm making double posts, I might as well bring up the Instant Messenger question again. I use a different Instant Messenger email than I do for my general geocaching email that I allow everyone to see. Since I'm not signed on to IM with that email, I won't ever be able to reap the benefits of being notified by IM for a Post that I'm watching. So is there a way to specify which IM service/email address you want to use? Has the IM notification even worked for anybody yet?

I use a different Instant Messenger email than I do for my general geocaching email that I allow everyone to see. Since I'm not signed on to IM with that email, I won't ever be able to reap the benefits of being notified by IM for a Post that I'm watching. So is there a way to specify which IM service/email address you want to use?QUOTE]

I have the same question, and since the questiuon hasn't been answered yet, I'll bump this.

quote:

Do you see what I mean? I'm from USA as it states at the bottom of my posts. But I want it to display the city and state, or at least the state, too! What's up with that?

In your profile there are City, State, Zip, and Country fields. But further down there is also a Location box. For me, that field is the one that shows up as where I'm "From:" in my posts.

Could that be the problem or do you have the Location field filled in?

My theory is that whatever is entered into the Location field is what transfers to the forum, but if it's blank then it defaults to what you entered into your Country field.

Of course, I could be wrong. icon_smile.gif Maybe Jeremy can clear this up. I've seen this question brought up a few times...

-exConn

What is Project Virginia?

quote:

In your profile there are City, State, Zip, and Country fields. But further down there is also a Location box. For me, that field is the one that shows up as where I'm "From:" in my posts.

Could that be the problem or do you have the Location field filled in?

My theory is that whatever is entered into the Location field is what transfers to the forum, but if it's blank then it defaults to what you entered into your Country field.

Of course, I could be wrong. icon_smile.gif Maybe Jeremy can clear this up. I've seen this question brought up a few times...

-exConn

Since this is the "New Forum" thread, I'll try this here:

Does anyone know how to alter the time zones in our profiles so that the forums show our own real timestamps?

I'm pretty sure this bulletin board software supports it. I'd like to alter mine to EST timestamps. (I mean, I have to subtract 3 hours because of PST and it's alot of work icon_biggrin.gif)

Am I not seeing the option, or does Jeremy just have this feature turned off?.. icon_frown.gif

-exConn

Since this is the "New Forum" thread, I'll try this here:

Does anyone know how to alter the time zones in our profiles so that the forums show our own real timestamps?

I'm pretty sure this bulletin board software supports it. I'd like to alter mine to EST timestamps. (I mean, I have to subtract 3 hours because of PST and it's alot of work icon_biggrin.gif)

Am I not seeing the option, or does Jeremy just have this feature turned off?.. icon_frown.gif

-exConn

is turned off. This is just a guess, but I'm thinking it was causing some problems with the dates or something at the beginning. I remember seeing an option for this too before these boards even opened up for business. Now I notice at the bottom left hand of each page it say "All times are PST" This leads me further to believe what I have concluded. I wonder if it will get turned back on with the Avatars? It is a nice option.

Have you noticed that when you click on someone's profile, there is now a link to click on that will show all of the messages that the person has replied to? Is this just a "Charter Member" option, or is everybody seeing this? Go ahead, click on my profile and see what I'm talking about!

Side note: Gee Whiz! What's with me posting three time in a row in one thread? Isn't that illegal?

quote:

This is just a guess, but I'm thinking it was causing some problems with the dates or something at the beginning.

One of those features lost with the older style sheets. I'm sure it'll be back with the Avatars. I miss the avatars.

Jeremy