Backpacker Magazine letter to the Editor

Guest Fireman Jim

Guest Fireman Jim

I just picked up my first copy of Backpacker magazine today. Yes, I'm one of the testimonials about geocaching getting me off my rear. It had a letter to the Editor that portrayed our game/sport in a negative light. I'm not the letter writing type. However, I was hoping to solicit someone to assist with both presenting our side of the story and possibly educating the writer. The letter read as follows:

CACHE CONTROL

As a land manager, I am concerned about the serious impact geocaching and off trail use could have on our already overburdened land. Assuming the goal is to use a GPS on a scavenger hunt, it seems unlikely that geocachers would stay on a trail. I'd rather see geocaching happen on lands that can sustain off-trail use.

Dave Sutherland

City of Boulder Open Space and Mountain Parks

Boulder, CO

Now I can understand and support protecting certain parts of nature. But shouldn't we be innocent until proven guilty. Not wanting to restart a lot of threads. It just seems we (geocachers) are automatically bad people when we know we are not.

[This message has been edited by Fireman Jim (edited 14 August 2001).]

Guest jeremy

I'm not sure he's portraying geocaching in a negative light. He has valid concerns on how geocaching should be managed. Seems like a good idea to have geocaching on land that can handle off-trail use.

Jeremy

Guest k2dave

He is addressing a valid concern that we ourselfs are working with. By an increased effort to ask permission most likely it will follow that proper places that could substain off trail use would be requested by land managers. got to go - was going to say more - maybe later

Guest CaptHawke

I've enjoyed off-trail hiking for years, but before I venture off the beaten path I ask myself, 'Is this area open for hunting?'. Real hunting, in season, with guns and bows, for animals. Keep in mind that there are 14 million hunters in this country, many of them going off-trail in search of game. If the land is open to them, then it is surely open to me. Of course I don't want to be there in the middle of deer season, but out of season I feel no guilt hiking off-trail across land open to hunters.

There seems to be a lot of concern that a few thousand geocachers are doing something

environmentally evil venturing off-trail. Folks, our scavenger hunts are insignificant compared to, say, the number of squirrel hunters that we share the woods with.

Our forests have seen off-trail hunting in one form or another for millions of years. Those areas that are still open to hunting for animals can certainly bear the added stress caused by those hunting for tupperware. We are just putting a new spin on an old tradition.

Cephas Hawke

Bedford NH

Guest bbnot2busy

If no one ever hiked off trails we would have NO trails to hike!! I say hike on-hike off, what ever suites your fancy! All wildlife hikes/walks off the beaten trails. Are we not a part of this great earth too??? Can we not use the land!? Sometimes I feel like we are going to "regulate" ourselves completely off the land! How long until it will be illegal to leave the blacktop or cemented surfaces??!! Sickening thought!

Guest makaio

Being an avid off-roader and member of several Jeep clubs as well as multiple off-road organizations dedicated to keeping our public lands open for multiple use, I can unequivicably say this will never happen as long as we exist. Enviro-groups and eco-terrorists will continue to fight to close all public land to anything but foot traffic, but luckily, the general public isn't as closed minded as those who are brainwashed by the scare tactics and rhetoric these groups spew forth.

Public Access for All

Guest PharoaH

The letter writer does have valid concerns for sensitive areas. Some areas are suitable for off-trail use, and others are not. The best bet is to check with your local land manager before you place a cache. That way, you won't mistakenly place a cache off the trail in a protected and/or sensitive area. If I were going to write a letter to that magazine, that's what I'd say.

Guest blinddog

Living in the area I know they have had some problems in open space up in boulder; people cutting around switch-backs causing erosion ;

but specifically a local radio had a mudfest

with about a 100 4x4 vehicles that trashed some wetlands near national forest. So the people in boulder county are pretty hyped up, but they are also a bunch of granola heads and tree huggers pushing there causes

trying to dictate policy on to the land managers and park service.

Guest Mattlandlover

Fireman Jim

Geocachers were not picked out of the blue as a concern for Dave S. I have had conversations with him. The problem was brought on by geocachers who were off trail in places that could not handle it.

You see, Boulder like many other well populated areas already has a great deal of people who retreat to the backcountry for trail walks, bike rides, runs, drives and fishing. There is plenty of places along the front range for Geocachers, Boulder simply already has enough traffic on the trails that to encourage a sport off trail would be the demise of one of the greatest places on earth. Not just for you and me, but for so many other living animals and birds. As well, there are no bikes allowed back there either. Trail hiking and climbing are pretty much the only things encouraged in Boulders open space.

Remember the wilderness we play on is more then just a place to play. It is the home to much more life then we will ever be abli to cram into a suburb. We all need to respect the homes of the creatures around us. We need to give them space and yes, in some areas we need restrication.

Just as goecachers can cause damage, so can bikeers, so can autos, so can you and so can I. Contrary to popular beliefe we are not the only thing that matters in this world.

Everyone has restrictions. No one is picking on Geocachers here. Just trying to keep what we already have. And that's a collective we.

Matt