Geocache Mecca: the very first cache ever placed...

Mark 42

Here is a link to the commemorative plaque that was placed at the location

where the first "Stash" (Cache) was hidden. A logbook was hidden, and the

location was put online as Original Stash Tribute Plaque cache.

Here is a link to the Un-Original Stash cache, also placed in tribute nearby.

Here's a picture of me and my family in front of the

location of the very first Geocache (Stash) ever placed.

146103_3300.jpg

[This message was edited by Mark 42 on October 17, 2003 at 08:18 AM.]

Not sure I agree.

I changed mine to a note, but it seems to me if you find the plaque, you've found the cache.

I didn't check the dates on the other finds, but I think they probably were after the demolition of the original too.

Personally, I'd rather see the plaque cache removed and the original reinstated, since it is the same place.

quote:
Originally posted by Mark 42:

Not sure I agree.

I changed mine to a note, but it seems to me if you find the plaque, you've found the cache.

It seems to me that if you found the plaque, you found the plaque. The cache is (was) a different entity all together.

quote:
I didn't check the dates on the other finds, but I think they probably were after the demolition of the original too.

They weren't. They date from 2000 and 2001 when the original 5-gallon bucket was still in place. Dave Ulmer deleted all of the logs on the cache page when he wiped out the records of his caches, but the people you see logged on the cache reinstated their logs.

EDIT: Looking more closely, I think you are correct - the last two find logs appear to have been made after the original bucket was long gone. I don't think that was right, either.

No big deal.

If I were only playing the stats game I could do a bunch of locationless caches like the one that only requires a picture of a U.S. flag on a pole.

I may do that one because I have an idea... have my family re-create the famous Iwo Jima photo and post that.

But I still see it as the plaque being the same cache... if the coords didn't change, and the location is at the exact same spot, to me, that's the same cache. Since the original webpage is gone anyway, I think the plaque and the "original" should be combined into one.

But it really doesn't matter... that's just how I would approach it if I were the one creating it. Everyone is different, and there's nothing really wrong with the way it is.

BTW, is it just my computer, or is the picture I posted kind of dark and hard to see?

I adjusted the brightness before I uploaded, and now I'm wondering if I uploaded from the wrong directory or something (I only found one on my hard drive).

[This message was edited by Mark 42 on October 17, 2003 at 09:31 AM.]

quote:
BTW, is it just my computer, or is the picture I posted kind of dark and hard to see?

I adjusted the brightness before I uploaded, and now I'm wondering if I uploaded from the wrong directory or something (I only found one on my hard drive).

[This message was edited by Mark 42 on October 17, 2003 at 09:31 AM.]

The pic look fine here..... Good, clear.....

Only nuts eat squirrels,

Snake

Strange that this thread gets posted with THAT title when I had an epiphany last night regarding that site:

I work for an Arab company and live daily with Muslim Culture. I have great respect for their traditions. Every good Muslim must try to make Hajj in the city of Mecca at least once in their lifetime. Preparations for Ramadan are currently being made and it got me thinking of a geocaching pilgrimage.

Every dedicated geocacher should visit the site of the original stash at least by their 5,000th find. When you are within .1 of the Original Stash a dedicated geocacher should remove his shoes. Upon reaching the plaque they should circle the location 7 times in a clockwise motion and then throw 7 Groundspeak cache stones at the nearest tree to cast out the evil "No Find" spirits. A huge meal should be eaten near sunset after the find to celebrate. bad_boy_a.gif

(Just a bit of silliness. No offense to Muslim geocachers is intended.)

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

If you are not failing now and again, it's a sign you're playing it safe. - Woody Allen

It's just the black background finish weathering.

You can still read it just fine. I'll have to see if I have a good picture of just the plaque.

I think if it had been done with something like an anodize finish, or powdercoat it would have held up better.

Someone could clean it, pray paint it and sand away the paint from the foreground entities, but I would suggest getting permission from whoever is custodian of it before messing with it.

I'm a bit confused by this log:

September 10 by Dan & Janet (407 found)

To clear up some confusion: The 'ORIGINAL STASH TRIBUTE PLAQUE' is the main attraction here. Just like a waterfall, lake or great view is for any other cache. The plaque is pretty easy to find - what you are hunting for is the LOG BOOK. You MUST sign it to get credit for finding the cache.

They aren't the owners, are they?

Jamie