Friendly Fire Accident Caused by GPS User

Myra Mit

quote:
Originally posted by The KGB:

My initials are KGB and the logo is the old badge from the soviet Secret Police. It's funny because nowadays most people have no idea what it means, kinda sad really. But its just my initials, thats it...

I was curious because I've been reading Tom Clancy for the past couple of months. A friend of mine has been feeding me the books in storyline order (not publication order). I'm reading "Cardinal in the Kremlin" right now. Of course all these books have to do with the Soviet Union and the KGB.

I used to work with a Russian guy who was a Captain in the Soviet army. We were good friends and both found it ironic that I had spent a lot of time training how to kill him and vice versa! I joined the military before the Soviet Union collapsed and I was in for a couple of years afterwards. The funny thing was how our training changed. After the collapse we started training to do things like attack a terroist safe house or protect landmarks like comms and airports from terrorist attack. The area we were in is known as Halto Hills so the terrorists we would train against where the "Halton Hills Freedom Fighters" icon_smile.gif

Of course that was before the MF terrorists learned to fly icon_mad.gif

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

4525_1300.gif

quote:

My initials are KGB and the logo is the old badge from the soviet Secret Police. It's funny because nowadays most people have no idea what it means, kinda sad really. But its just my initials, thats it...

I was curious because I've been reading Tom Clancy for the past couple of months. A friend of mine has been feeding me the books in storyline order (not publication order). I'm reading "Cardinal in the Kremlin" right now. Of course all these books have to do with the Soviet Union and the KGB.

I used to work with a Russian guy who was a Captain in the Soviet army. We were good friends and both found it ironic that I had spent a lot of time training how to kill him and vice versa! I joined the military before the Soviet Union collapsed and I was in for a couple of years afterwards. The funny thing was how our training changed. After the collapse we started training to do things like attack a terroist safe house or protect landmarks like comms and airports from terrorist attack. The area we were in is known as Halto Hills so the terrorists we would train against where the "Halton Hills Freedom Fighters" icon_smile.gif

Of course that was before the MF terrorists learned to fly icon_mad.gif

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

4525_1300.gif

I love Tom Clancy, do you have the list of the order of the books, everything I have seen is by publication date, so I am not sure whichone came first etc.. I know Red October was the first book, but is that the very beginning of Jack Ryan?

Hard to believe Clancy was an insurance broker, before deciding to write A book. Some of the books can be a little tedious due to a lot of repeating of phrases and very wordy decriptions etc.. but they are well worth the read.

Wait till you get to "Sum of All Fears", there is a movie coming out on that one soon!

46113_400.jpg

The KGB

guy.gif

I believe that if a scientific study were done to determine the frequency of fire support accidents; it would find the rate is lower today than any time in history. Also the collateral damage has been kept to a minimum increasing risk to our military personnel. Our soldiers are dedicated professionls that have taken courage and skill to a new level. Never before has such a small force had such affect, with such speed, on our enemies.

I really feel that Canada and the USA are like brothers. I would defend Canada as if it were my own country.

I also think that in today technology it only takes one touch of a button to have disasterous results. If we were using swords and muskets this wouldn't have happend. I get pissed when these things happen too but I realize this could have been me who made this simple mistake.

It doesn't make it easy to swallow but this is the age we live in.

quote:
Originally posted by rut:

I really feel that Canada and the USA are like brothers. I would defend Canada as if it were my own country.

icon_smile.gif I am so vary glad to hear someone say something like that. As of late, I've been getting the feeling from all the NGs I read and public opinions that the general 'American' consensus is that Canadians should just shut up, do what they're told and be glad that the U.S. hasn't invaded us yet. Bush doesn't help either. I remember when he thought our P.M.'s name was 'Poutine'.

The accident that happened recently was a tragedy, but not surprising. Not because of incompetence or such, but because it is war - it's a volatile environment by definition. I think the technology is so advanced and the press coverage so dramatized that people are beginning to expect that 'accidents' such as this are not supposed to happen; like getting food poisoning from your Big Mac or something. Look at the Persian Gulf, didn't the U.S. take more casualties from friendly fire than from the enemy? If I recall that ratio was something like 1000 to 1 too. Back in Vietnam, 10 enemy casualties to one ally was considered good. Maybe people are starting to forget what the true meaning of war is.

I'd like to think that most Canadians haven't developed any sour grapes over this and that, given the choice, we'd rather it be our troops that suffered casualties instead of our troops making the mistake. That's part of the understanding when you join the military, to take those risks and offer to make such sacrifices.

MajBach

You can't have everything,where would you put it?

1compass.gif

quote:

icon_smile.gif I am so vary glad to hear someone say something like that. As of late, I've been getting the feeling from all the NGs I read and public opinions that the general 'American' consensus is that Canadians should just shut up, do what they're told and be glad that the U.S. hasn't invaded us yet. Bush doesn't help either. I remember when he thought our P.M.'s name was 'Poutine'.

The accident that happened recently was a tragedy, but not surprising. Not because of incompetence or such, but because it is war - it's a volatile environment by definition. I think the technology is so advanced and the press coverage so dramatized that people are beginning to expect that 'accidents' such as this are not supposed to happen; like getting food poisoning from your Big Mac or something. Look at the Persian Gulf, didn't the U.S. take more casualties from friendly fire than from the enemy? If I recall that ratio was something like 1000 to 1 too. Back in Vietnam, 10 enemy casualties to one ally was considered good. Maybe people are starting to forget what the true meaning of war is.

I'd like to think that most Canadians haven't developed any sour grapes over this and that, given the choice, we'd rather it be our troops that suffered casualties instead of our troops making the mistake. That's part of the understanding when you join the military, to take those risks and offer to make such sacrifices.

MajBach

1compass.gif

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by MajBach:

icon_smile.gif I am so vary glad to hear someone say something like that. As of late, I've been getting the feeling from all the NGs I read and public opinions that the general 'American' consensus is that Canadians should just shut up, do what they're told and be glad that the U.S. hasn't invaded us yet.

MajBach

I also feel the same about Canada (been there once back in the 70's)as rut. I like your country and the people from there that I have met. I don't think there is that much difference between us except maybe ya'll are a little more laid back than most people here. icon_cool.gif

inceptor

the only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys

quote:

quote:

icon_smile.gif I am so vary glad to hear someone say something like that. As of late, I've been getting the feeling from all the NGs I read and public opinions that the general 'American' consensus is that Canadians should just shut up, do what they're told and be glad that the U.S. hasn't invaded us yet.

MajBach

I also feel the same about Canada (been there once back in the 70's)as rut. I like your country and the people from there that I have met. I don't think there is that much difference between us except maybe ya'll are a little more laid back than most people here. icon_cool.gif

inceptor

I'm one Canadian who can't wait for the Americans to take us over. Our taxes would drop by 25%. Our gas prices would drop by at least 20 cents a litre. Our criminals would spend some real time in prison. Our unemployment rate would drop to a reasonable level. Our doctors and other professionals could come back. No more waits for medical procedures. Our Head-of-State wouldn't be in some far off European country.

I know a great name for this new country "United States of CanAm".

Just think, we'd get McDonald's & KFC restaurants... oh wait .. we already have those. Well, they'd bring Walmart to us ... oh ... forget that, we already have those. We'd get to see those great Hollywood movies ... oh, ya ... we get to see those already. Well, at least they would establish democracy ... oh, wait, we kinda of have that already.

Still, I wouldn't be too confident about taking us over, we have trained killer beavers.

Every hour spent geocaching is added to the end of your life

[This message was edited by boreal jeff on April 20, 2002 at 05:52 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by boreal jeff:

Our taxes would drop by 25%.

The average American family pays up to $1000/month for their HMO membership

quote:

Our gas prices would drop by at least 20 cents a litre.

We would go back to that backwards system they still use and have gallons and pounds and such *(No offence to you Americans. I'm sure you love your system and it works for you icon_smile.gif )

quote:

Our criminals would spend some real time in prison. Our unemployment rate would drop to a reasonable level.

What,and have the death penalty too! (Sure Randle Doolies Mother deserves it though). As for our employment rate. In case you've been asleep, Canada's unemployment rate is better then the US's and our economy is relatively stronger and has been much less affected by events of late.

quote:

Our doctors and other professionals could come back. No more waits for medical procedures. Our Head-of-State wouldn't be in some far off European country.

Our American cousins can keep anyone who wants to leave our fair land. As for medical procedures, instead you have to fight with your HMO to convince them to give you proceedures and some of the most important ones might not be covered by your insurance. The American President travels all the time.

quote:

I've wanted to point this out for a long time. The good ol U.S. Of A. doesn't have a name as much as it has a description. Canada is an excellent name for a country.

quote:

Just think, we'd get McDonald's & KFC restaurants... oh wait .. we already have those. Well, they'd bring Walmart to us ... oh ... forget that, we already have those. We'd get to see those great Hollywood movies ... oh, ya ... we get to see those already. Well, at least they would establish democracy ... oh, wait, we kinda of have that already.

I surely hope you were kidding in your post. If not you are free to move to the USA! Don't let the door hit you on the way out and please drop your Canadian Passport off in a Canada Post box before you leave.

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

4525_1300.gif

quote:

Our taxes would drop by 25%.

quote:

Our gas prices would drop by at least 20 cents a litre.

We would go back to that backwards system they still use and have gallons and pounds and such *(No offence to you Americans. I'm sure you love your system and it works for you icon_smile.gif )

quote:

Our criminals would spend some real time in prison. Our unemployment rate would drop to a reasonable level.

What,and have the death penalty too! (Sure Randle Doolies Mother deserves it though). As for our employment rate. In case you've been asleep, Canada's unemployment rate is better then the US's and our economy is relatively stronger and has been much less affected by events of late.

quote:

Our doctors and other professionals could come back. No more waits for medical procedures. Our Head-of-State wouldn't be in some far off European country.

Our American cousins can keep anyone who wants to leave our fair land. As for medical procedures, instead you have to fight with your HMO to convince them to give you proceedures and some of the most important ones might not be covered by your insurance. The American President travels all the time.

quote:

I've wanted to point this out for a long time. The good ol U.S. Of A. doesn't have a name as much as it has a description. Canada is an excellent name for a country.

quote:

I surely hope you were kidding in your post. If not you are free to move to the USA! Don't let the door hit you on the way out and please drop your Canadian Passport off in a Canada Post box before you leave.

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

4525_1300.gif

"Our American cousins can keep anyone who wants to leave our fair land. As for medical procedures, instead you have to fight with your HMO to convince them to give you proceedures and some of the most important ones might not be covered by your insurance. The American President travels all the time."

The American president is taken care of by the Navy so he doesnt have to travel, the doctor comes to him, if thats whay you meant.

I don't know if this is true, I pay about $100/month and thats for a PPO which is better than an HMO, maybe you mean $1000/year sounds more like it, now it would be more if you had children and such, but $1000/month sounds awfully high.

"our economy is relatively stronger and has been much less affected by events of late."

I would say thats 50/50 and I'll let you guess which one I think is not accurate icon_smile.gif

"I've wanted to point this out for a long time. The good ol U.S. Of A. doesn't have a name as much as it has a description. Canada is an excellent name for a country."

That is true, back in the good old days icon_smile.gif when asked where you were from, you would name your state as your country. I am from Florida so Fl would be my country, USA just means exactly what Rob said, just a description. Each state is like a soverign nation that has given up some of its rights to be part of the union and each state has the right to leave the Union.

Now we have tried that little leave the union thing back in the 1860's and lost more people than all of the wars we have been in combined.

So it is true but I do believe that the United States of America is a great sounding name. I do think it would be interesting to see what would happen if say, North Carolina decided to leave the union, more interesting is really what that would mean as far as travel, taxes etc...

I think last year or so there was a state up north that was actually talking about it.

ps any of you folks up there in canada want to join us, just write us a memo and we'll hold a vote, it couldn't be that difficult icon_smile.gif we'd love to have you, as long as your not french icon_smile.gif

46113_400.jpg

The KGB

guy.gif

"Our American cousins can keep anyone who wants to leave our fair land. As for medical procedures, instead you have to fight with your HMO to convince them to give you proceedures and some of the most important ones might not be covered by your insurance. The American President travels all the time."

The American president is taken care of by the Navy so he doesnt have to travel, the doctor comes to him, if thats whay you meant.

I don't know if this is true, I pay about $100/month and thats for a PPO which is better than an HMO, maybe you mean $1000/year sounds more like it, now it would be more if you had children and such, but $1000/month sounds awfully high.

"our economy is relatively stronger and has been much less affected by events of late."

I would say thats 50/50 and I'll let you guess which one I think is not accurate icon_smile.gif

"I've wanted to point this out for a long time. The good ol U.S. Of A. doesn't have a name as much as it has a description. Canada is an excellent name for a country."

That is true, back in the good old days icon_smile.gif when asked where you were from, you would name your state as your country. I am from Florida so Fl would be my country, USA just means exactly what Rob said, just a description. Each state is like a soverign nation that has given up some of its rights to be part of the union and each state has the right to leave the Union.

Now we have tried that little leave the union thing back in the 1860's and lost more people than all of the wars we have been in combined.

So it is true but I do believe that the United States of America is a great sounding name. I do think it would be interesting to see what would happen if say, North Carolina decided to leave the union, more interesting is really what that would mean as far as travel, taxes etc...

I think last year or so there was a state up north that was actually talking about it.

ps any of you folks up there in canada want to join us, just write us a memo and we'll hold a vote, it couldn't be that difficult icon_smile.gif we'd love to have you, as long as your not french icon_smile.gif

46113_400.jpg

The KGB

guy.gif

quote:
Originally posted by mrcpu:

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/4525_1300.gif

As a fellow (proud) Canadian, Rob, just want to step in on your OT debate for a sec so you can hear yourself. While I agree with much of what you have posted in this thread, I think the way you are expressing yourself is perhaps a little volatile. The boldness of your statements implies you are representitive of all Canadians and that the opinions held by Americans boils down to one. Actually, if I was an American I'd probably be pretty enraged by now. You keep beginning your points with 'no offence' but then you refer to them as 'you guys'. Your choice of words conjures up images of high concrete walls guarded by heavily armed personnel dividing our two contries. In reality, it's more like a knee-high picket fence - the only one of it's kind in the world - and there is a guy on either side shooting the breeze over a beer. You can't have it any better than that!

As for Jeff, if the only thing you hold proud to your Canadian citizenship is its economy, then what are you still doing here?

MajBach

1compass.gif

quote:

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

As a fellow (proud) Canadian, Rob, just want to step in on your OT debate for a sec so you can hear yourself. While I agree with much of what you have posted in this thread, I think the way you are expressing yourself is perhaps a little volatile. The boldness of your statements implies you are representitive of all Canadians and that the opinions held by Americans boils down to one. Actually, if I was an American I'd probably be pretty enraged by now. You keep beginning your points with 'no offence' but then you refer to them as 'you guys'. Your choice of words conjures up images of high concrete walls guarded by heavily armed personnel dividing our two contries. In reality, it's more like a knee-high picket fence - the only one of it's kind in the world - and there is a guy on either side shooting the breeze over a beer. You can't have it any better than that!

As for Jeff, if the only thing you hold proud to your Canadian citizenship is its economy, then what are you still doing here?

MajBach

1compass.gif

quote:

The boldness of your statements implies you are representitive of all Canadians and that the opinions held by Americans boils down to one. Actually, if I was an American I'd probably be pretty enraged by now.

icon_smile.gif

All Generalizations are wrong!

icon_smile.gif

I hear you and agree completely. I don't speak for all Canadians, but I FEEL that some of the views I've held over the FF incident are probably shared by MANY Canadians. As for my use of "them" and "you guys" I AM posting in an American hosted forum with a majority of readers being American. It is very difficult to tell one person that you don't like a system that another person uses without getting into a huge of topic debate about it with the other person.)

It gets my goat big time when a my fellow Canadian starts talking the way this guy did. I'm sure our cousins down south feel the same way or even more strongly when their fellow Americans start saying how much better "back home" is.

I heavily debated whether or not to reply to this guy privately. The way I figure it, he needed to be roasted publicly for his statements.

Remember he said "Waiting for the American invasion.

I'm one Canadian who can't wait for the Americans to take us over"

I'm sorry if I found that extreamly offencive! We live a free country and he has the right to his opinion. When dealing with someone like that I like to remind myself that it is his right to be wrong if he wants to!

icon_smile.gif

Cheers,

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

4525_1300.gif

quote:

The boldness of your statements implies you are representitive of all Canadians and that the opinions held by Americans boils down to one. Actually, if I was an American I'd probably be pretty enraged by now.

icon_smile.gif

All Generalizations are wrong!

icon_smile.gif

I hear you and agree completely. I don't speak for all Canadians, but I FEEL that some of the views I've held over the FF incident are probably shared by MANY Canadians. As for my use of "them" and "you guys" I AM posting in an American hosted forum with a majority of readers being American. It is very difficult to tell one person that you don't like a system that another person uses without getting into a huge of topic debate about it with the other person.)

It gets my goat big time when a my fellow Canadian starts talking the way this guy did. I'm sure our cousins down south feel the same way or even more strongly when their fellow Americans start saying how much better "back home" is.

I heavily debated whether or not to reply to this guy privately. The way I figure it, he needed to be roasted publicly for his statements.

I'm sorry if I found that extreamly offencive! We live a free country and he has the right to his opinion. When dealing with someone like that I like to remind myself that it is his right to be wrong if he wants to!

icon_smile.gif

Cheers,

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

4525_1300.gif

quote:

I'm sorry if I found that extreamly offencive!

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

No need to be, I agree with you. Young people often mistakeingly believe that arrogant speech is a sign of wisdom.

MajBach

1compass.gif

quote:

Um. No, I did't mean that. But I guess I can see how it could have been confusing. I should have created another paragraph.

quote:

I was chatting with a nice couple up from Boston and was quite shocked when they told me this. It doesn't sound unreasonable. For example, in Canada I would pay $300/month for additional coverage over and above OHIP (Ontario Health Insurance Plan)

quote:

I'm not an economist. I'm just going by is Reported in the media

quote:

Sounds like Quebec!!!! icon_smile.gif

quote:

ps any of you folks up there in Canada want to join us, just write us a memo and we'll hold a vote, it couldn't be that difficult icon_smile.gif we'd love to have you, as long as your not french icon_smile.gif

Don't get me started icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

4525_1300.gif

quote:

Um. No, I did't mean that. But I guess I can see how it could have been confusing. I should have created another paragraph.

quote:

I was chatting with a nice couple up from Boston and was quite shocked when they told me this. It doesn't sound unreasonable. For example, in Canada I would pay $300/month for additional coverage over and above OHIP (Ontario Health Insurance Plan)

quote:

I'm not an economist. I'm just going by is Reported in the media

quote:

Sounds like Quebec!!!! icon_smile.gif

quote:

ps any of you folks up there in Canada want to join us, just write us a memo and we'll hold a vote, it couldn't be that difficult icon_smile.gif we'd love to have you, as long as your not french icon_smile.gif

Don't get me started icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

4525_1300.gif

quote:

Ouch! That hurts. You probably mean French Canadian. What if I lied? Have they perfected that "French" DNA test yet? Is there a website detailing which ethnic groups are more desireable then others?

quote:

Ouch! That hurts. You probably mean French Canadian. What if I lied? Have they perfected that "French" DNA test yet? Is there a website detailing which ethnic groups are more desireable then others?

quote:

quote:

They would have you tailed for 6 months. If you walked into a Burger King and ordered a Poutine you'd be on the ground in handcuffs before you could say "extra cheese"

ROFL icon_biggrin.gif

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

4525_1300.gif

quote:

quote:

They would have you tailed for 6 months. If you walked into a Burger King and ordered a Poutine you'd be on the ground in handcuffs before you could say "extra cheese"

ROFL icon_biggrin.gif

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

4525_1300.gif

hahahahah now that was funny!

I think I am just about done here and to my new canadian friends I say farewell and I will see you on other topics, I think its time to close this one down. I love America and you love Canada, nothing any of us say will change that. Long live Canada and Long live the United States!

46113_400.jpg

The KGB

guy.gif

Well, I'm an American and I really would love if we learned a few things from Canada. For instance, No death penalty, universal health insurane.

I am currently w/out health insurance because I can't afford it. It cost me 350/month. Imagine if I had kids. America is often called a great country, but everything about it isn't always so great. That's why we need to work and make those thigs better.

Cozmo

I am very happy to hear our American friends about this tragedy. Thank you for your kind words. I now these accidents arrive. Espescially under these stressfull circumstances. I have been in the Canadian forces for several years. I now these will happen surprisingly as this day and age with gps and sat communications etc these still happen. I also like to visit your country. It is very similar to ours.But what do you mean

Mr KGB (we'd love to have you, as long as your not french)

I am french Canadian and also have french ancestors that immigrated to the USA Michigan. I also have relatives in California and Syracuse. Hopefully Louisianna still wants us. Merci Beaucoup. I don't think language is a issue.In your country and ours. French where always stepped on. My parents even had to fight to get their own french schools.I could go on but this is finished and done with. But some always remember "Je me souviens" du temp de la rose qui est maitenant le Lys. I am not a separatist but Canadian but understant why they feel like that. I can talk/write almost or better than some English speaking person.I can also understand a tiny bit of Spanish and Italian. You are still welcome to Canada even if you dont like french.

742_900.jpg

[This message was edited by 300mag on April 21, 2002 at 02:22 PM.]

While the fact that this topic has little to do with Geocaching, in my humble opinion, is NOT a valid reaon to close it, I would definatly agree that it has diverged far from the original post and should be closed.

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

4525_1300.gif

quote:

quote:

I hate to ask this but what exactly is Poutine?

OK. HOW CAN YOU NOT KNOW WHAT POUTINE IS?!?!?!

??????

http://www.hasc.com/~tikin/poutine-eng.html

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

I think its french fries with gravy and cheese on it. I'm I right? I've seen it on menus but have never tried it or even seen it. Low cholesterol diet by doctor's orders.

quote:
I think its french fries with gravy and cheese on it. I'm I right? I've seen it on menus but have never tried it or even seen it. Low cholesterol diet by doctor's orders.

I posted the last reply before checking the link to the web site. Now I know. Curds aren't that bad for the cholesterol so maybe I'll try it. I'll have to do a lot of geocaching to wear off the extra calories.

Hey, man! I know how much you like ribbing us, especially in instances of casualties, but I'm going to rib you back for a moment... A friend sent this to me and I thought it was quite funny.

CFRibbons.gif

Furthermore, I'm glad you served your country... I'm sure you did a great service and I'm glad you've not witnessed any of your comrades as casualties... any unit who has actually gone out and done operations of one sort of another will eventually meet the odds where it happens.

Of course, you probably were never in any unit like that. When you asked why someone would direct a lasar guided mortar or bomb instead of simply shooting a portable missile, I was tipped off to that fact.

I'd lay off of the Americans... I've done maneuvars with the Combined Forces, so I know their capabilities. So when some nation, such as Switzerland (who has no real forces and their only tank has to rotate and elevate on the tracks to aim and fire) tries to invade you, we might have to send in a company of our Marines or Army to rid of the invaders for you

But I must agree with you on one point - I absolutaly dispise our system of measurements. Left up to me, the whole world would be on the metric system.

And 300Mag - Would that be a Weatherby mag or Winchester Mag? Both are good, I suppose. I'm a bit preferable to the 300 Min Mag, even though there is not as much energy and their is a larger drop for any given range.

I think that what KGB means is that when French Canadians come here - at least to Florida, they don't tip when they eat, they don't convert the speed limit so they do 45 kph when it's 45 mph (at least that's what they MUST be doing... they all drive so SLOW!) and their overall rudeness levels are off of the charts.

Heck... someone from Montreal cut me off the other day and when I honked, he shot me the bird. It took every ounce of my willpower to run him off into a concrete bridge abutment.

[This message was edited by markusby on April 21, 2002 at 05:53 PM.]

quote:

I hate to ask this but what exactly is Poutine?

He's our Prime Minister. Don't you ever watch Rick Mercer 'Talking to Americans'?

Now, don't even think about asking who Tim Horton is.

MajBach

1compass.gif

quote:
Originally posted by markusby:

Hey, man! I know how much you like ribbing us, especially in instances of casualties, but I'm going to rib you back for a moment... A friend sent this to me and I thought it was quite funny.

http://www.geonavigation.com/images/CFRibbons.gif

Furthermore, I'm glad you served your country... I'm sure you did a great service and I'm glad you've not witnessed any of your comrades as casualties... any unit who has actually gone out and done operations of one sort of another will eventually meet the odds where it happens.

Of course, you probably were never in any unit like that. When you asked why someone would direct a lasar guided mortar or bomb instead of simply shooting a portable missile, I was tipped off to that fact.

Those ribbons are HILLARIOUS! I'll have to send that to my buddy who's a Capt.

As for your question regarding the laser guided mortar, I'm not entirely sure what you ment? Like I said, I was in the CF Reserves. How much action do you think I saw?!?! I mean, come on, it's Canada we're talking about icon_smile.gif

As for the laser guided mortar thing, If you have to crawl into position to lase the target then your in position to hit it with something like a rocket. The disadvantage to a rocket is the fact that you give your position away. A mortar just drops out of the sky! (Unless the bad guys have Anti-artillery radar!!!) Additionally, a LAW or Carl Gustov 84mm rocket really isn't designed to take out a building, regardless of what hollywood shows.

I did hear a story from a friend in the CF about a peace keeping patrol that came under fire from a building. We don't have the grenade launchers the US have so the guy's used an M-72 LAW. It hit the wall just below the window and killed the sniper. The famous quote is that apperantly the soldier who fired the LAW said "Never bring a gun to a rocket fight!"

Another funny story, We used to practice a 45 second window from the time you dropped the last bomb down the tube till you were in the truck ripping up dirt on the way out of there! This was because of the Soviet Anti-artillery artillery. A couple of years ago I met a guy who spent several years as a radar operator in the Soviet union. He confessed to me that there was almost no way they had that capability!

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

4525_1300.gif

quote:
Originally posted by markusby:

http://www.geonavigation.com/images/CFRibbons.gif

Those ribbons are HILLARIOUS! I'll have to send that to my buddy who's a Capt.

As for your question regarding the laser guided mortar, I'm not entirely sure what you ment? Like I said, I was in the CF Reserves. How much action do you think I saw?!?! I mean, come on, it's Canada we're talking about icon_smile.gif

As for the laser guided mortar thing, If you have to crawl into position to lase the target then your in position to hit it with something like a rocket. The disadvantage to a rocket is the fact that you give your position away. A mortar just drops out of the sky! (Unless the bad guys have Anti-artillery radar!!!) Additionally, a LAW or Carl Gustov 84mm rocket really isn't designed to take out a building, regardless of what hollywood shows.

I did hear a story from a friend in the CF about a peace keeping patrol that came under fire from a building. We don't have the grenade launchers the US have so the guy's used an M-72 LAW. It hit the wall just below the window and killed the sniper. The famous quote is that apperantly the soldier who fired the LAW said "Never bring a gun to a rocket fight!"

Another funny story, We used to practice a 45 second window from the time you dropped the last bomb down the tube till you were in the truck ripping up dirt on the way out of there! This was because of the Soviet Anti-artillery artillery. A couple of years ago I met a guy who spent several years as a radar operator in the Soviet union. He confessed to me that there was almost no way they had that capability!

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

4525_1300.gif

quote:

I posted the last reply before checking the link to the web site. Now I know. Curds aren't that bad for the cholesterol so maybe I'll try it. I'll have to do a lot of geocaching to wear off the extra calories.

ONE order of Poutine PROBABLY Won't kill you. (I'm not a doctor and I've seen some real mean poutine!!!)

icon_biggrin.gif

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

4525_1300.gif

quote:

ONE order of Poutine PROBABLY Won't kill you. (I'm not a doctor and I've seen some real mean poutine!!!)

icon_biggrin.gif

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

4525_1300.gif

quote:

Each state is like a soverign nation that has given up some of its rights to be part of the union and each state has the right to leave the Union.

_The KGB_

One minor correction here. There are only two states that actually have left the right to secede in their constitutions and that is Alaska and Texas. icon_cool.gif

Also, except maybe for Mass., most insurance costs on the average (of the people I know) between $100 & $200 a month. 1k per month would make it impossible for most of us. icon_biggrin.gif

inceptor

quote:

Each state is like a soverign nation that has given up some of its rights to be part of the union and each state has the right to leave the Union.

_The KGB_

One minor correction here. There are only two states that actually have left the right to secede in their constitutions and that is Alaska and Texas. icon_cool.gif

Also, except maybe for Mass., most insurance costs on the average (of the people I know) between $100 & $200 a month. 1k per month would make it impossible for most of us. icon_biggrin.gif

inceptor

"You are still welcome to Canada even if you dont like french."

As much as I hate to admit it, my ancestors on my mothers side were French Huguenot and came to America in the early 1600's Charleston to be exact. I guess I am full of self loathing icon_smile.gif

"One minor correction here. There are only two states that actually have left the right to secede in their constitutions and that is Alaska and Texas."

I knew about texas forgot about Alaska, but you are correct, I guess I should have said that all we would have to do is vote on it, but it is the right of every state written or unwritten.

46113_400.jpg

The KGB

guy.gif

"You are still welcome to Canada even if you dont like french."

As much as I hate to admit it, my ancestors on my mothers side were French Huguenot and came to America in the early 1600's Charleston to be exact. I guess I am full of self loathing icon_smile.gif

"One minor correction here. There are only two states that actually have left the right to secede in their constitutions and that is Alaska and Texas."

I knew about texas forgot about Alaska, but you are correct, I guess I should have said that all we would have to do is vote on it, but it is the right of every state written or unwritten.

46113_400.jpg

The KGB

guy.gif

Thanks Markusby. I like your ribbons. I'll forward this to my wife. She works at National Defence. I also heard about some cheap french(Quebec)mostly around Hollywood people that didn't tip much. In early day's a lot of welfare cases spent the summer in Florida and collected there check here icon_frown.gif We have seen reporters intervewing them... The rifle is my new toy. It is a browning 300 win mag Stainless steel with the B.O.S.S (ballistic optimizing shooting system) at the end of the barrel

742_900.jpg

Thanks Markusby. I like your ribbons. I'll forward this to my wife. She works at National Defence. I also heard about some cheap french(Quebec)mostly around Hollywood people that didn't tip much. In early day's a lot of welfare cases spent the summer in Florida and collected there check here icon_frown.gif We have seen reporters intervewing them... The rifle is my new toy. It is a browning 300 win mag Stainless steel with the B.O.S.S (ballistic optimizing shooting system) at the end of the barrel

742_900.jpg

Hey 300Mag...

quote:
The rifle is my new toy. It is a browning 300 win mag Stainless steel with the B.O.S.S (ballistic optimizing shooting system) at the end of the barrel

That's a nice peice of gear - if you've never shot a 300 Win Mag without the BOSS, you're in for a surprise. I shot a friend's Browning 300 Min Mag with the BOSS and the recoil is not much more than a standard .308 (7.62) - impressive!

I've got a Remington Sendero .300 Win Mag that waighs a TON! I'm talking almost 17 pounds because of the fiberglass McMillian stock (I HIGHLY recommend it) and then bull barrel. I've got a jewel triger (another must) and a Springfield Government Issue 3rd gen 4-14x56 scope. It's a really nice weapon, shoots like a dream and the extra weight eliminates a lot of kick. Let me rephrase that. The extra weight absorbs a lot of the energy before it reaches your shoulder.

It's a toss up if I had to buy again... I've never shot a tricked out BOSS and I don't know what is involved in working it. My Sendero was easy... I brought it to the STA armory with a case of beer and said, "do your thing." icon_wink.gif

Hey 300Mag...

quote:
The rifle is my new toy. It is a browning 300 win mag Stainless steel with the B.O.S.S (ballistic optimizing shooting system) at the end of the barrel

That's a nice peice of gear - if you've never shot a 300 Win Mag without the BOSS, you're in for a surprise. I shot a friend's Browning 300 Min Mag with the BOSS and the recoil is not much more than a standard .308 (7.62) - impressive!

I've got a Remington Sendero .300 Win Mag that waighs a TON! I'm talking almost 17 pounds because of the fiberglass McMillian stock (I HIGHLY recommend it) and then bull barrel. I've got a jewel triger (another must) and a Springfield Government Issue 3rd gen 4-14x56 scope. It's a really nice weapon, shoots like a dream and the extra weight eliminates a lot of kick. Let me rephrase that. The extra weight absorbs a lot of the energy before it reaches your shoulder.

It's a toss up if I had to buy again... I've never shot a tricked out BOSS and I don't know what is involved in working it. My Sendero was easy... I brought it to the STA armory with a case of beer and said, "do your thing." icon_wink.gif