Friendly Fire Accident Caused by GPS User

Myra Mit

I'm not sure this is in the right forum, but I thought a story in this morning's LA Times might be of interest to my fellow geocachers.

It's amazing that the same kind of rookie GPS mistake that may cause me to walk an extra couple miles can also get a whole lot of people killed:

quote:
With Taliban still huddled in ridges across the river, a commander in the second team of Green Berets called for airstrikes to wipe the enemy out. One of two Air Force TAC-Ps, tactical air control parties whose training puts them a level below more seasoned combat controllers, calculated the distance to the enemy. He radioed in the coordinates.

Defense officials would later conclude that he relayed the wrong numbers--giving his own position instead of the enemy's. The airman failed to reenter the target's coordinates after changing the batteries on his global positioning system unit. After a battery change, the unit automatically displays its own location.

About 9:30 a.m. came the rumble of a Vietnam-era B-52.

LA Times - 3/27/02

28 Americans and Afghan allies were killed and dozens of others were wounded.

quote:
Originally posted by Myra Mit:

It's amazing that the same kind of rookie GPS mistake that may cause me to walk an extra couple miles can also get a whole lot of people killed ...

Wow, that would spoil your day! icon_eek.gif

~Rich in NEPA~

1132_1200.jpg

=== A man with a GPS receiver knows where he is; a man with two GPS receivers is never sure. ===

quote:
Originally posted by Myra Mit:

It's amazing that the same kind of rookie GPS mistake that may cause me to walk an extra couple miles can also get a whole lot of people killed ...

Wow, that would spoil your day! icon_eek.gif

~Rich in NEPA~

1132_1200.jpg

=== A man with a GPS receiver knows where he is; a man with two GPS receivers is never sure. ===

quote:
Originally posted by mrcpu:

You may not know this but your Armed Forces are know world wide for having more casualties BEFORE the war starts from accidents and more casualties during the war from friendly fire then enemy fire.

May be true, but that's because our right to the freedom of press allows accurate data to be passed on to the public. Most other countries would never admit to making mistakes like the ones we pony up to. And, perhaps it could be true that friendly fire casualties are more than enemy fire casualties during battle because our enemy-fire casualties are extremely lower than our kill rate.

I'd feel much safer being a part of this Armed Service than any other. I'd die for my country. With today's technology and world situation, I have a better chance to fight to protect my country and not have to die. Even with the gaffs - which, by the way, aren't absent from other countries armed services; they just aren't talked about as much.

Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You may not know this but your Armed Forces are know world wide for having more casualties BEFORE the war starts from accidents and more casualties during the war from friendly fire then enemy fire.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You may not know this but Canadas Armed Forces are known world wide for.....uhh....well.....hmmm...hang on i'm getting it.....ahhh nevermind.

The US's armed Forces are also know for being deployed around the world at all times to protect our interests and those of our allies. So it is only natural that we would have a lot of accidents and accidental deaths as well as friendly fire, because our military is actually out there. I would also love to know what the friendly death/enemy death ratio is.

I'm not picking on Canada nor am I assuming that you did not mean what you said as an insult, more likely pointing out what I am sure is a fact, but I can tell you this, if something were to happen to Canada, there are a lot of Americans that would fight for you and with you and die for your country.

46113_400.jpg

The KGB

guy.gif

Thank you VentureForth and The KGB for responding politely to the response you quoted. I was really surprised how reading that post hit me, and couldn't find words to respond myself. (A bit worried I'd not be as polite...) I will assume and hope that mrcpu was posting without malice, and thank you for doing the same.

KXMc

USAF active duty since 1984

Fly the friendly skies of the C-5... Club Fred Rules!

"KXMc

Fly the friendly skies of the C-5... Club Fred Rules!"

KXMc-

Seen a few C-5 next door but mostly P-3's I am a mile or two from the Jax Naval Air Station, I know it's Navy...sorry icon_smile.gif

I didn't want to come off as rude in my post and I am glad you saw it that way. The original post really got my back up. I have never been in the military, but I will say that on one side of my family there has been nothing but military...Army...sorryicon_smile.gif

There is one thing that I don't do and that is criticize our military. I know this country does a lot around the world, some see it as us putting our noses where they don't belong, some see as as the neighborhood bullies etc...I will be the first to admit that we don't get everything right although we do try and as far as the military goes, their job is to follow orders, they don't just make it up as they go. If other countries had an active military force I am sure they too would suffer from peace time casualties and friendly fire accidents, I would be willing to bet though that if you took the population on the US Armed Forces and compared it to the population in general, I would say that the stats as far as accidental deaths go is probably comparable, if not smaller.

I for one appreciate what you and all the other members of the armed forces do for us very much, and when I see someone mock or criticize us it does bother me, but sometimes you have to look at the source.

So thanks for your reply and I wish you well!

46113_400.jpg

The KGB

guy.gif

"KXMc

Fly the friendly skies of the C-5... Club Fred Rules!"

KXMc-

Seen a few C-5 next door but mostly P-3's I am a mile or two from the Jax Naval Air Station, I know it's Navy...sorry icon_smile.gif

I didn't want to come off as rude in my post and I am glad you saw it that way. The original post really got my back up. I have never been in the military, but I will say that on one side of my family there has been nothing but military...Army...sorry:)

There is one thing that I don't do and that is criticize our military. I know this country does a lot around the world, some see it as us putting our noses where they don't belong, some see as as the neighborhood bullies etc...I will be the first to admit that we don't get everything right although we do try and as far as the military goes, their job is to follow orders, they don't just make it up as they go. If other countries had an active military force I am sure they too would suffer from peace time casualties and friendly fire accidents, I would be willing to bet though that if you took the population on the US Armed Forces and compared it to the population in general, I would say that the stats as far as accidental deaths go is probably comparable, if not smaller.

I for one appreciate what you and all the other members of the armed forces do for us very much, and when I see someone mock or criticize us it does bother me, but sometimes you have to look at the source.

So thanks for your reply and I wish you well!

46113_400.jpg

The KGB

guy.gif

quote:

You may not know this but Canadas Armed Forces are known world wide for.....uhh....well.....hmmm...hang on i'm getting it.....ahhh nevermind.

Now, boys, there's plenty to criticize on both sides of the border. There's far more to be proud of. My advice? "Do not feed the Trolls".

In response to the orginal post, that's a pretty awful consequence for such a classic newbie error.

quote:

I'm not picking on Canada nor am I assuming that you did not mean what you said as an insult, more likely pointing out what I am sure is a fact, but I can tell you this, if something were to happen to Canada, there are a lot of Americans that would fight for you and with you and die for your country.

It definatly was not ment as an insult! More a gentle ribbing! As for your comments about the US being there for us... I'm afraid that the ONLY country we are worried about invading us IS the U.S.!!! icon_smile.gif

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

4525_1300.gif

quote:

It definatly was not ment as an insult! More a gentle ribbing! As for your comments about the US being there for us... I'm afraid that the ONLY country we are worried about invading us IS the U.S.!!! icon_smile.gif

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

4525_1300.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Balimbras:

Now, boys, there's plenty to criticize on both sides of the border. There's far more to be proud of. My advice? "Do not feed the Trolls".

In response to the orginal post, that's a pretty awful consequence for such a classic newbie error.

Yup icon_smile.gif We can certainly be proud of the fact that our two countries share in the same values/morals, overall quality of life and that we share the world's longest undefended border......kinda nice and rare in this world. icon_smile.gif

But if there ever is an invasion, please leave my beer and hockey stick alone dammit!.....LOL

quote:
Originally posted by Balimbras:

Yup icon_smile.gif We can certainly be proud of the fact that our two countries share in the same values/morals, overall quality of life and that we share the world's longest undefended border......kinda nice and rare in this world. icon_smile.gif

But if there ever is an invasion, please leave my beer and hockey stick alone dammit!.....LOL

quote:
Originally posted by The KGB:

hehe

don't worry we had the chance and decided against it.....too cold icon_smile.gif

icon_smile.gif

You're not referring to 1812 are you? You know why your White House is white don't you?!?!

Too cold? Or maybe we kicked your butts back across the border!!! icon_razz.gif

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

4525_1300.gif

quote:

hehe

don't worry we had the chance and decided against it.....too cold icon_smile.gif

icon_smile.gif

You're not referring to 1812 are you? You know why your White House is white don't you?!?!

Too cold? Or maybe we kicked your butts back across the border!!! icon_razz.gif

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

4525_1300.gif

we were so young back then, and a little tired after defeating the most powerful empire in the world, no not Canada. the war of 1812 was a stalemate anyway. So in a way you are correct, it's not hard to jump on the bandwagon and kick a man while he's down, but thats ok. I would say it would take maybe 2 weeks to do it now and most of that time would be spent converting currency.

46113_400.jpg

The KGB

guy.gif

quote:

we were so young back then, and a little tired after defeating the most powerful empire in the world, no not Canada. the war of 1812 was a stalemate anyway. So in a way you are correct, it's not hard to jump on the bandwagon and kick a man while he's down, but thats ok. I would say it would take maybe 2 weeks to do it now and most of that time would be spent converting currency.

In all seriousness, the OFFICIAL war would probably be over much quicker then that. BUT you better believe that every farm boy with a shotgun would do whatever it took to kick ya all back across the border!! (You think the middle east is bad, just get between a Canuck and his beer!!!)

It would definately be ugly so let's just be friends!!! icon_smile.gif

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

4525_1300.gif

quote:

In all seriousness, the OFFICIAL war would probably be over much quicker then that. BUT you better believe that every farm boy with a shotgun would do whatever it took to kick ya all back across the border!! (You think the middle east is bad, just get between a Canuck and his beer!!!)

It would definately be ugly so let's just be friends!!! icon_smile.gif

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

4525_1300.gif

Ladies and Gents, I woke up this morning and saw the News regarding the "Friendly Fire" accident in Afganistan. Please understand how ANGRY I am feeling right now.

I was not entirely joking in previous posts when I pointed out that the US forces have a bad reputation for friendly fire accidents. Unfortunatly this time the US forces have killed Allied troops, MY troops. icon_mad.gif

I'm sorry if this offends anyone personally. Too bad. 4 of my countrymen are dead and 8 more are wounded because of this. I know that the majority of your servicemen and woman are professional. I realize that this is an accident.

I want you to ask yourselves WHY. WHY is it that the US forces have these accidents? WHY is it that they seem to have a lot of these types of accidents? I won't pretend to tell you that I know why. I won't insult you by saying that it is ALL of your forces. If I were you I'd want your government to seriously crack down and eliminate the cause for these things.

Right now I'm very angry with your Forces and very sad for the families who have senslessly lost their loved ones due to incompetence.

(P.S. I really had to step back and take a big breath before writing this!)

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

4525_1300.gif

Ladies and Gents, I woke up this morning and saw the News regarding the "Friendly Fire" accident in Afganistan. Please understand how ANGRY I am feeling right now.

I was not entirely joking in previous posts when I pointed out that the US forces have a bad reputation for friendly fire accidents. Unfortunatly this time the US forces have killed Allied troops, MY troops. icon_mad.gif

I'm sorry if this offends anyone personally. Too bad. 4 of my countrymen are dead and 8 more are wounded because of this. I know that the majority of your servicemen and woman are professional. I realize that this is an accident.

I want you to ask yourselves WHY. WHY is it that the US forces have these accidents? WHY is it that they seem to have a lot of these types of accidents? I won't pretend to tell you that I know why. I won't insult you by saying that it is ALL of your forces. If I were you I'd want your government to seriously crack down and eliminate the cause for these things.

Right now I'm very angry with your Forces and very sad for the families who have senslessly lost their loved ones due to incompetence.

(P.S. I really had to step back and take a big breath before writing this!)

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

4525_1300.gif

I am Canadian as well and I've heard the same thing about the US Armed Forces. I run a website that is global in it's user base so i hear all sorts of different things said.

I am angry this morning as well, perhaps more so since it was our contrymen in a training excercise!!!

One thing we do need to keep in mind is...we shouldn't be too hard on the US. I think they may have a higher rate of friendly fire incidents as they are involved in more battles and more media coverage than most other places.

So while I am angry about our soldiers being killed and wounded, and I don't agree with them being there in the first place, I don't think we should all get really blameful.

There is always risk in these types of things, and these soldier knew full well what the risks were...sadly... icon_frown.gif

I am Canadian as well and I've heard the same thing about the US Armed Forces. I run a website that is global in it's user base so i hear all sorts of different things said.

I am angry this morning as well, perhaps more so since it was our contrymen in a training excercise!!!

One thing we do need to keep in mind is...we shouldn't be too hard on the US. I think they may have a higher rate of friendly fire incidents as they are involved in more battles and more media coverage than most other places.

So while I am angry about our soldiers being killed and wounded, and I don't agree with them being there in the first place, I don't think we should all get really blameful.

There is always risk in these types of things, and these soldier knew full well what the risks were...sadly... icon_frown.gif

I think that you have to understand that because we are involved in the world and are called to have our troops everywhere that friendly fire accidents do happen as horrible as they are. If you climb a ladder 50 times a day for 10 years, you are going to fall off that ladder more than someone who climbs a ladder 1 time every year. As horrible as it is to say, accidents do happen, and when you are dealing with explosives and live ammunition it gets even more dangerous. I am sorry for your loss, I am sure it is the same way I felt when I read your original posts in this forum giving the US a "gentle ribbing" about all of our soldiers that were killed by friendly fire, this is what you wrote:

"Friendly Fire, AIN'T!

You may not know this but your Armed Forces are know world wide for having more casualties BEFORE the war starts from accidents and more casualties during the war from friendly fire then enemy fire."

"It definatly was not ment as an insult! More a gentle ribbing! As for your comments about the US being there for us... I'm afraid that the ONLY country we are worried about invading us IS the U.S.!!! icon_smile.gif "

Now I know you were just having fun with this when our soldiers were killed and I woun't do the same to you, because it isn't really funny or worth a "gentle ribbing", and because we don't know the details of what happened, you may want to hold back some of that anger until you know what caused the accident. I can assure you with 100% accuracy that it wasn't on purpose, I can't think of any reason why the US would want to kill Canadians, it just doesn't make sense, so it was obviously a mistake. This is not meant to be offensive either, I know it's not fun to see the news that your troops have been killed in a friendly fire accident, nor is it fun to read posts having someone poke fun at it.

I am sorry for your loss and it is my understanding that Bush called your PM instantly and offered whatever was needed and has told the military to comply fully with a Canadian investigation into what happened. I hope to know what happened soon, until then I am sorry for your loss, all "gentle ribbing" aside.

KGB

46113_400.jpg

The KGB

guy.gif

I think that you have to understand that because we are involved in the world and are called to have our troops everywhere that friendly fire accidents do happen as horrible as they are. If you climb a ladder 50 times a day for 10 years, you are going to fall off that ladder more than someone who climbs a ladder 1 time every year. As horrible as it is to say, accidents do happen, and when you are dealing with explosives and live ammunition it gets even more dangerous. I am sorry for your loss, I am sure it is the same way I felt when I read your original posts in this forum giving the US a "gentle ribbing" about all of our soldiers that were killed by friendly fire, this is what you wrote:

"Friendly Fire, AIN'T!

You may not know this but your Armed Forces are know world wide for having more casualties BEFORE the war starts from accidents and more casualties during the war from friendly fire then enemy fire."

"It definatly was not ment as an insult! More a gentle ribbing! As for your comments about the US being there for us... I'm afraid that the ONLY country we are worried about invading us IS the U.S.!!! icon_smile.gif "

Now I know you were just having fun with this when our soldiers were killed and I woun't do the same to you, because it isn't really funny or worth a "gentle ribbing", and because we don't know the details of what happened, you may want to hold back some of that anger until you know what caused the accident. I can assure you with 100% accuracy that it wasn't on purpose, I can't think of any reason why the US would want to kill Canadians, it just doesn't make sense, so it was obviously a mistake. This is not meant to be offensive either, I know it's not fun to see the news that your troops have been killed in a friendly fire accident, nor is it fun to read posts having someone poke fun at it.

I am sorry for your loss and it is my understanding that Bush called your PM instantly and offered whatever was needed and has told the military to comply fully with a Canadian investigation into what happened. I hope to know what happened soon, until then I am sorry for your loss, all "gentle ribbing" aside.

KGB

46113_400.jpg

The KGB

guy.gif

quote:

If you climb a ladder 50 times a day for 10 years, you are going to fall off that ladder more than someone who climbs a ladder 1 time every year.

And that is what I was trying to say. If another country was involved in as many things I am sure the number of FF incidents would also increase...

Firstly, I want to say that I've calmed down a lot since my last post. I'd like to thank everyone for being understanding.

With regards to the original post that started this thread, I'm sorry if I came across as less then saddened by the death of Americans. I don't value American's any less then Canadian's believe me! We were in just as much shock over 9/11 as you guy's I'm sure.

I just wanted you to know from an outside point of view that your forces have a bad rep for FF incidents. I didn't want to offend anyone by my post and so I referred to it as a "Gentle Ribbing". Truth is, you guy's really do have a bad reputation for these things.

I've heard some people say that it is a statistical probability that with the number of things your military does every day it is unavoidable. I've also heard that you have very open media and this also contributes to the reputation. I would have to agree with you on these points.

When men and woman play with guns and bombs it is bound to mean accidents can happen. I guess I would have been less upset if this had happened during an attack.

From my understanding the pilot basically screwed up. He was flying over a restricted area set aside for the purposes of live fire exercises. He probably saw the small arms fire on the ground and freaked out (I heard he was a reservist too which means he was less experienced). I highly doubt that the CF forces would be shooting at him because a) the taliban fly jumbo jets, not fighter jets! and :o Shooting wildly up in the air at a fighter at night with a rifle is a waste of ammo. Considering our budget problems I'm surprised we were even wasting ammo on a live fire exercise!!!

With regards to my fellow Canadian who stated that he doesn't think we should be there I say this:

I for one was embarrassed by the pathetic statements and lack of commitment by our Prime Minister. We as human beings have an obligation to deal with this kind of thing. We should be setting up U.N. PEACE MAKER forces that go in BEFORE we try to send in PEACE KEEPERS. I do not believe that we should jump in and take out Iraq right away, mainly because the cost of military man power would be very high. Canada is doing the right thing standing shoulder to shoulder with our allies in declaring war on the Taliban. In the end, we will also go in and do what we do best, peace keeping and humanitarian aid. In fact, by being on the ground, in afganistan I think that Canadian experiences has helped the US forces when dealing with the local population.

I hope we get Osama and I hope that no more needless casualties occure.

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

4525_1300.gif

Rob,

I totally agree with everything you just said. I know you and I have had some fun on this Canada / US thing, and it is all in fun, but this is serious and I am very sorry for the death of your soldiers, you are correct it does sound like the pilot freaked and it is my understanding that he asked permission to straffe with his machineguns and was denied, then it sounds like he thought he was being fired at again. I will admit I have never been in the military, although my family does have a long history of service, so I can't possibly imagine the stresses on of all the people involved, US, Canadian, whomever. I am sure they will have the full report soon, and hopefully all the questions will be answered and you can be assured that we will do the right thing for the families. I also read today that these are the first casualties that Canada has had in a combat zone since the Korean War, so I am sure that makes it more shocking. I do believe that the reason for the number of accidents is the amount of action our military sees. I, like you wish it were less, because I am tired of paying to police the world but it has to be done.I thought it was great that Canada was the first to step up to the plate. I remember seeing a memorial service they put together days after 9/11 and watching it on C-Span and it was amazing, and it certaintly made me feel better.

So I appreciate your last post here and it shows a lot of thoughtfulness in what you said.

Your American Friend,

The KGB

46113_400.jpg

The KGB

guy.gif

I extend my heartfelt sympathy to the families of the brave Canadians who were killed in this tragic accident, as well as to all my fellow geocachers our great neighbor to the North who were affected by it. I was saddened when I saw the news report, and hope the Americans involved will be held accountable for their actions.

quote:

When men and woman play with guns and bombs it is bound to mean accidents can happen.

This is the second time in less than 8 hours that I've heard/read someone stating that the military "plays" with deadly toys, belying the serious business that we are involved in. Even the Army Public Affairs Officer (PAO) on FoxNews this morning used that term, and it really gets under my skin...he should know better. I don't know about him, but I haven't been playing for the past 16 years (although I've had plenty of fun).

Last Sunday, we had a 22 year old soldier killed in a live fire training accident at Schofield Barracks. He was involved in trench clearing training, and was killed when a grenade inexplicably detonated (still being investigated). My point is, the Army expends THOUSANDS of grenades each year in training, and serious injuries are infinitesimal in comparison. While all fratricide incidents are tragic, and regrettable, to some degree they are unavoidable. The point is that this is a very dangerous business, and anyone who signs on had better know what the job entails (at least in the US military). As Vegetius said, "Let he therefore who aspires to peace prepare for war."

In combat, as in geocaching, just a minor error in judgement can have serious consequences, which must be paid for.

I know I've rambled somewhat, but I just needed to vent my spleen. Sorry.

quote:
Originally posted by Ridgerunner4:

This is the second time in less than 8 hours that I've heard/read someone stating that the military "plays" with deadly toys, belying the serious business that we are involved in. Even the Army Public Affairs Officer (PAO) on FoxNews this morning used that term, and it really gets under my skin...he should know better. I don't know about him, but I haven't been playing for the past 16 years (although I've had plenty of fun).

-snip-

I know I've rambled somewhat, but I just needed to vent my spleen. Sorry.

No problem. Perhaps you are correct with regards to my use of the word "play". I used it in more of a bad=good, fat=thin sort of way. I thought I put quotes around it.

I spent 5 years in the infantry (reserves) with my primary trade being 81mm mortars (I was top of my class I might add!!!). I am fully aware of the seriousness of using these weapons! The nature of the military, doctors, morticians, police, fire, etc.. (as with human nature in general) is to try and use language and jokes to cope with reality.

For example, when someone asks me what I did in the Army I say something like "I blew s#&$t up!". If it's a serious conversation or they want more details I become more serious and explain "Look, I learned how to kill people, ok? I learned how to do it with pistols, rifles, bayonets, grenades, mines, machine guns, and artillery or motar fire."

This type of answer usually leads the asker to change the subject right away! Bottom line is using phrases like "play with guns" sound less serious and due to the horrific nature of what we are talking about (practicing to, and then maybe actually, KILLING our fellow human beings) it is human nature to use more light hearted language!

Cheers!

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

4525_1300.gif