IM NEW!!! read me

cachingspree03

I agree. Be careful on the internet. My 10-year-old is just as active as I am in geocaching, but I won't let him have his own geocaching account. For safety's sake do your posting through an adult. (I know it's frustrating. But you really do need to be careful.) You are welcome to write to my kid through my account. -- Lesbaru

I think I've seen a couple of posts now from this same person along the same lines.

Kudos to all for the warnings, but does anybody else get the 'feeling' that this is not legit.

No finds on the profile yet it says he discovered caching from his dad. lot sof obvious mispellings that seem over the top.

Don't want to start trouble but I will ask the admins to keep a close watch on the user. Sorry if I seem to be overreacting, but when it comes to the safety of kids.....

quote:
Originally posted by Kealia:

I think I've seen a couple of posts now from this same person along the same lines.

Kudos to all for the warnings, but does anybody else get the 'feeling' that this is not legit.

Shhhh! It's sort of like with the KKK, where the FBI plant is always the guy who wants to go blow something up.

--------------------

Searching for the lost, Geocache.......

quote:
Originally posted by Xitron:

No need to worry mckee, we are not watching you either.

yours truly the CIA

Funny story there, it was actually the BATF. I had a Federal F*rearm Dealer License for a while as I was trying to start up a business, and we were being monitored for a bit. We were sort of warned by the agent that granted the license.

--------------------

Searching for the lost, Geocache.......

What ever happened to the big bad wolf, the boggie-man, or any other string of evil doers that this kid should be afraid of? I mean really, what kind of dad doesn't put a bit of fear into thier children? Not for the sake of scaring them but a dose of reality... There are some bad hombre's out there!

PS.. Cybo, they gave up the van years ago, they watch you right thru your monitor now, come on, why do you think it's called a "Monitor"?

quote:

Funny story there, it was actually the BATF. I had a Federal F*rearm Dealer License for a while as I was trying to start up a business...

You sold forearms? icon_confused.gif

Caching without music is like swimming without water.

Sure seems like a setup to me. Aren't there plenty of places where kids hang out online? It seems like the FBI got some bad info about pedophiles "hanging loose" here and are trying to trap someone. icon_rolleyes.gif My suggestion would be to stay away until proven legit.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Caching with a clue....

Since there are so many news stories about pedophile predators on the internet, I've often wondered what kind of kid is out there that these people prey on..

Is it possible that there are a lot of pre-teens that are as incredibly stupid as this kid appears to be?

I doubt it. 12yrs old is 7th grade! I remember being in 7th grade thinking I was an adult. This kid and his posts just don't seem authentic. Teenaged Mutant Ninja Turtles??? How many 12yr olds would really know about them? the TMNT's were big in the late 80's early 90's which is about the time this kid would have been born.

Now, if the kid claims he's from Keene NH, you know the cops are trolling for criminals (which I have absolutely no problem with).. One specific cop in Keene has nabbed like 40 predators from New England.. All of them corresponded over the internet, then drove to Keene to meet the kid!

-Ken

Since I was a kid I have been on computers and been on the internet since the 80's. I been to chat rooms, it comes down to 1 thing.

(un)common sense.

Parents need to teach thier own kids right from worng, and what makes sense and what doesnt. My parents never really taught me much about life, I learned it through trial and error, but some errors like meeting someone I dont know for who knows what reason is not a good Idea. As an adult I have met people I met online, and we are great friends, I have met a mother and daughter from online after knowing them for 7 yrs online. I met my ex-girlfriend online (ok that was a case of be weary who you meet icon_rolleyes.gif)

but with all in all of what is said. Think of 2 things. Would I do that? and , What type of person would do that?

GeoCache Pickup Line: Hey I'm looking for treasure, Can I look around your chest?

quote:
Originally posted by Dream Alchemist:

GeoCache Pickup Line: Hey I'm looking for treasure, Can I look around your chest?

ROTFLMAF!!!! Nice sig! icon_wink.gif

O Yea, looks too fishy to me too!! I hope that we don't attract too many of these types. I mean that can turn up to be something really bad! Thats the biggest reason I prefer word of mouth vs. advertising Geocaching! Might attrach the wrong type.

64784_1200.gifBeen there... Done that...

Im 14 right now, ive been on the net for...a LONG time (at least to me), before we had alot of spam, before we had high speed, we had a.....28kbps "High speed" (chuckles) modem..or was it a 14.4kbps..... I forget. I was like 4-5 years old I think, before that i used a 286 and a commodore 64. I learned how to program basic out of a "Making Computer Games" book from a local library. Teens from up the street used to come over to use our internet connection or to dial into the local bbs. Ahh, the good old days. ;)

I wish I had a better memory. icon_frown.gif

Woot, more Commodore users, had a 64, then upgraded to the 128. Though with higher baud modem. 9800(?) not quite sure the correct baud( icon_confused.gif) But then agn, that was back in the late 80's. icon_eek.gif Man am I that old? icon_frown.gif

But the Commodore 64 people upgraded from the Commodore Vic 20's! Remember those? My brother had a Vic 20. A friend had a 64, I used to go to his house and play on it. I remember I had a Tandy Mc-10 and it was upgraded from the on board 4k to a whopping 20k! I can still remember getting the magazines and typing in the games. I also had the cable to hook up to the cassette recorder which acted as the "floppy drive". Things have changed huh? Back in '96 I had a 486dx2/80 that I built from the ground up that I used to run a BBS using the Wildcat software...remember that? lol

Brian

www.woodsters.com

pumpkinlights.gif

Ya know, I figured that this topic would be locked by now.

I hammered the little triangle about 10 minutes after this thread was posted. That was wayy before my 1st post to this thread. I didn't want to discourage a kid if it was "really" a kid, but I wanted admins to know that there may be a troll.

BTW - My C-64 is still in the box unused. Any collectors out there?

ALSO- OuchieJumbug, I LOVE the avatar.

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

texasgeocaching_sm.gif Sacred cows make the best hamburger....Mark Twain.

F = Floor

quote:
Originally posted by OuchieJumbug:

ROTFLMAF?

I know what the ROTFLMA is - but F?

Funny? Fanatic? Flatulent? Fancy? Filthy? Fried? Fascist? Falafel?

I'm sure I'm being an idiot, but I just can't figure it out.

"I don't practice what I preach, because I'm not the sort of person I'm preaching to." - J.R. "Bob" Dobbs

quote:
Originally posted by CacheMonkeez:

F = Floor

quote:
Originally posted by OuchieJumbug:

ROTFLMAF?

I know what the ROTFLMA is - but F?

Funny? Fanatic? Flatulent? Fancy? Filthy? Fried? Fascist? Falafel?

I'm sure I'm being an idiot, but I just can't figure it out.

"I don't practice what I preach, because I'm not the sort of person I'm preaching to." - J.R. "Bob" Dobbs

Roll

On

The

Floor

Laughing

My

A$$

F=?

I agree...usually it's an "O" for "Off". What does the last "F" stand for?

Brian

www.woodsters.com

quote:
Originally posted by Team GPSaxophone:

I started on a Commodore 64 with a 300 baud modem! I was so excited when I moved up to 1200 baud. I ran my own BBS, programmed in BASIC, it was great. Noobs are still the same, though

You just described me at 15!!! LOL!!

I still have my C-64 in storage with my disk drives and all the disks and programs... I keep telling myself that it will be worth something someday! icon_smile.gif My wife hates that I am pack-rat.

Snoogans - How much do you want for it?

---------------------------------------------------

Free your mind and the rest will follow action-smiley-076.gif

And may no Admin bricks 19490_2600.gif fly your way

Back in 83, I had a TRS-80 that used a cassette tape for storage. It would take 10 minutes to load a game of Black Jack.

My first real PC was a Commodore PC Clone. A whopping 4.77mhz processor. I later added a used 10mb hard drive that I think I paid ~$250.

Not even mentioning the monochrome monitors.

E

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everybody else.

Although I still have a few favorite games from C-64:

Space Taxi

Beach Head

Beach head has been out in other versions, but I don't think Space Taxi made it...

I brought my C64 to college and set it up hooked up to a spare color TV and we used to play all the games, especially if we had, ummmmm... altered our state a bit...

---------------------------------------------------

Free your mind and the rest will follow action-smiley-076.gif

And may no Admin bricks 19490_2600.gif fly your way

Did nobody on the other side of the Atlantic have the joy of the Speccys? All C-64 boys?

Dang, I miss my Sinclair Spectrum 128k +3. Best computer I ever had, along with the best games too... Dizzy, anyone?

Am I alone? I'll get me coat.

------

"There's Sparticus. That's him, over there."