Would this webcam be too commercial?

I was thinking that the Pike Place Fish Market (home of the 'low flying fish') webcam might make a good cache. The place seems to be somewhat of a landmark now, more than just a business. Would it be appropriate to set up a webcam cache here? And if it is accaptable, should I set it up, or leave it to someone in Seattle - if there are any interested cachers there- since I'm way over here in Michigan?

I walk the Maze of Moments, but everywhere I turn to, begins a new beginning, but never finds a finish... -Enya, Anywhere Is

I have seen this place on TV. I am not real sure of the set up but I only see one possible problem. Depending how you do it can a person get a reading on their GPSr? I am thinking it is inside. If not you might have to think about doing some kind of offset or something. But I don't see it as too commercial, its just a fun place.

It looks like the camera is 'inside', but the fish market itself is open to the street on at least 1 side. (from photos on the website, and from my memory of the motivational video I saw on them at work) I can convert the addy to coordinates, and if you take a look at the webcam page before you go, you should be able to figure out where the camera itself is/is pointing to.

I walk the Maze of Moments, but everywhere I turn to, begins a new beginning, but never finds a finish... -Enya, Anywhere Is

The market is open, although there is a roof above the spot where the camera is located.

The shot below shows the market from the exterior. The fish counter is the brightly lit area under the left side of the neon "PUBLIC MARKET CENTER" sign. The camera would be located roughly under the "N" in "CENTER", and about 15 feet back from the edge of the roof.

icon_smile.gif

icon_geocachingwa.gif

If you decide to make this a webcam cache (and I think it's a great idea, personally), the image on the webpage is displayed via a Java Applet. It's not a simple matter of just right-clicking to "Save Picture as..."

Might still could be done, but it'd either have to be hacked or the cacher's helper would have to use some sort of screen capture program.

AprJhn

It might be a little more work than normal, but I'd think that most people would know someone who could do (that little button on the VERY top row, 3rd from the right on my keyboard), get into a photo editing program, create a new document, and paste & crop the image. I just learned that sneaky little trick a few months ago icon_wink.gif Of course I'd mention this method in the cache desc, and recommend that they have the phone-a-friend try it out 1st to get the hang of it before attempting the cache.

I think I'll go ahead and submit this webcam.... with bonus points for making a 'fish face' at the camera! icon_wink.gif