Fake log?

BeachBuddies

I was doing some cache maintenance yesterday, and ended up having to replace a cache comletely (ants). Anyway, I brought the remnants home. The logbook (one of the official "Rite in the Rain" ones) was still in good shape.

I enjoyed reading through all the entries (this was from the first cache that I hid). I was surprised at how many entries were in the log, but not on the web site -- probably 30%.

One discrepency in particular had me wondering though. It was logged on the web site a few weeks ago, but there was no matching log in the logbook. I remember it, because I keep pretty close track of my caches, and this one was logged with the wrong date (or so I thought). The date on the log entry was a month or to older than the date it was posted on; I had to use the "show all logs" option to read it.

I have no idea if it's a fake log or not. The logger didn't take or leave anything (apparently, though he didn't add TNLN either). He doesn't have all that many finds (15 or so), so it's not like he's inflating his numbers. Even if he were, who really cares. As they say, he's just cheating himself. It seems more likely that he just prefers to log on the web, and not in the book.

So -- should I just ignore it? Should I contact him? Since the "rules" are you must sign the book, should I just change his web-page entry to a Note, instead of a Find? Or, just leave it alone? It's not really bothering me, I was more curious than anything.

-BeachBuddies

Remember its just a game and don't get too upset over an inconsistency... Its not like there was a missing 'log' on your bank statement.

I would just let it go... I have more than enough other things in my life to stress me out icon_smile.gif

---------------------------------------------------

Free your mind and the rest will follow action-smiley-076.gif

I went out once and located a cache box after a somewhat difficult search. Because took me longer to find than I anticipated darkness was falling fast and, in addition, I was being eaten alive by insects. I did technically "find" the cache, I had the ammo box in my hands. I simply wanted to get out of where I was without opeining the box, getting the log book out composing an eloquent entry made in imecible pensmanship, seal the whole thing up again and then hide the thing with in the same manner that I found it. Later, when I was going to log it I wondered about the ethics involved and decided not to. So I'm actually behind 1 cache. I'd give the guy the benifit of the doubt. No sense in having two geo-cachers loosing sleep over a cache they couldn't log icon_smile.gif

"Now may every living thing, young or old, weak or strong, living near or far, known or unknown, living or departed or yet unborn, may every living thing know happiness!"

If your going to call him on it, be very polite. It's very easy to be offensive by the simplest inquiry.

I did a cache here a few of weeks ago. I said something vague. Like I did a drive-by on this cache after such-and-such a cache. I didn't say TNLN, just kept it short.

The owner emailed me with a half a$$ polite demand that I describe the cache container and location. That ticked me off. Even though it was polite. The owner should have checked the cache log before calling me a lair.

Back to point. Maybe there is a page missing from the log book. Pages can come loose after time. There are cachers that rip pages out. Some malicious. Some just don't bother bringing anything to take notes on.

If you do email the cacher. Explain all your concerns. Don't make it a one liner. It could sound like inflammatory accusations. Have someone proof-read it before you send it.

You are the owner, but no one likes the cache police interrogations.

39197_3500.jpg39197_3600.jpg

POWDER!!!!!!

I would definately give him the benefit of the doubt, even if he faked the log. He is only cheating himself, if that were the case.

By deleting it or questioning him on it, you might give him unneeded stress, frustration or sadness, whereas he may have been very happy about being able to log this find. It's all about trust and I wish locationless caches were more about trust too, but unfortunately they aren't, but that is another issue. Not everyone has/can afford a digital camera.

http://ca.geocities.com/geocachingcanada <---NEW!

http://ca.geocities.com/rsab2100/pond.html

I was pleasantly surprised by the consistency and compassion of all the responses... thank you! My inclination was to do just what you all said -- ignore it. I'm guessing the cacher probably just didn't bother signing the logbook for whatever reason. No big deal.

What really surprised me was the fairly high percentage of people who wrote a log in the book, but not on the web. I think it's pretty neat there are lots of people who just like to cache for the simple joy of caching, and are completely unconcerned about stats. Kind of nice icon_smile.gif

-BB

quote:

What really surprised me was the fairly high percentage of people who wrote a log in the book, but not on the web. I think it's pretty neat there are lots of people who just like to cache for the simple joy of caching, and are completely unconcerned about stats. Kind of nice

"Kind of nice"? It's rude. Most people don't log just to increment their find count. They do so because they appreciate the fact that the cache owner took the time, money and effort to place the cache. The least they can do is let the owner know that they found it. It's a matter of courtesy, not competetion.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

I would never contact the person, just too many legitimate possibilities why they didn't log it. Could be a team, partner, who knows.

I've noticed many more entry's in my log books than online. A lot of people find them by accident which is strange since they're not in open places.

Go figure...

Maybe he/she just didn't click to change the date when he/she logged online, it's an easy mistake. nothing to lose sleep over. You should see the log in the logbook I just salvaged. Maybe I'll post it later. It's time to get some rest, it's late.

Cache you later,

Planet

So many caches, so little time.

It's possible he logged the wrong cache by mistake. You can send him a email and let him know that you noticed his log missing in the log book on your last cache maintenance visit. If he made a mistake he can change it or let you know the reason for the missing log. If he doesn't respond I would just forget about it. It's not a big deal. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

GF

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

logo_small.jpg

quote:

Maybe he/she just didn't click to change the date when he/she logged online, it's an easy mistake. nothing to lose sleep over. You should see the log in the logbook I just salvaged. Maybe I'll post it later. It's time to get some rest, it's late.

Maybe he will visit your cache ... maybe he won't.

Maybe he will sign the logbook ... maybe he won't.

Maybe he will trade fairly ... maybe he won't.

But he will definitely claim a "find".

(Maybe, if you're really, really lucky, he will return to steal or plunder your cache ... or maybe he won't.)

"Why would that bother you?"

"He is only cheating himself."

"It's not a big deal."

"It's nothing to lose sleep over."

"It's just a game."

In other words, those who accept fake logs probably log fake finds themselves. Or maybe what they are really saying is "we got no standards and don't give a sh*t."

quote:
Originally posted by BeachBuddies:

What really surprised me was the fairly high percentage of people who wrote a log in the book, but not on the web. I think it's pretty neat there are lots of people who just like to cache for the simple joy of caching, and are completely unconcerned about stats. Kind of nice icon_smile.gif

-BB

I would like to see more of the people log both places. Sometimes the log on the web helps a person decide if they want to do that particular cache, or even if there is a possible problem. Such as, - Snake has made his home next to the cache. Ok, that may be a little far fetched, but still possible. How about things like, watch out for the piece of wire fence stretched across the path(it's a real trip hazard). Hopefully you get the idea of what I'm trying to get at.

I remember writing a log for a cache and warning of a large gopher hole right in the middle of the path. The path was quite overgrown which made the hole alomst completely hidden. A finder sometime after that DID step into the hole! I don't remember whether he twisted his ankle or not. He was paying more attention to his GPS than he was where he was walking. My warning didn't work in this one instance, but hopefully others have avoided the hole and injury.

The other reason that "I" log on the website is that it helps "me" remember the cache. I will try to put something on the website that will jog my memory about a specific cache. If someone asks me about a specific cache, I can go to the website, read my log, and most of the time remember the details of the cache such as how I got there, problems encounterd, parking problems, etc.

I also have NO problem writing my logs and showing how dumb I can be at times. Things like, forgetting to mark where I parked, then not being able to find my car! I figure my mistakes may help someone else in the future to NOT make the same ones I did.

Gary

There's another possibility that I didn't see anyone mention.... he/she logged the wrong cache.

I've seen it happen with new cachers entering an online log for the wrong cache. Like the one that logged a find for a backcountry cache here in Montana that takes an overnight camping trip to get to... and also logged a cache in Boston on the same day. I never did figure out how somebody accidently does that, but I've seen it happen a few times.

Like others said, your cache, your call.

skydiver-sig.gif

---------------------------------------

"We never seek things for themselves -- what we seek is the very seeking of things."

Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)

---------------------------------------

The team logging is a good point.

I had a kid log on one of my caches. "I was here with my dad." No idea who his dad was.

A lady logged another one of my caches with only. "Tag. Playing catch up." I emailed her for that one. She had created her own account, and was logging all the caches she had visited with her husband.

39197_3500.jpg39197_3600.jpg

POWDER!!!!!!

quote:
Originally posted by skydiver:

There's another possibility that I didn't see anyone mention.... he/she logged the wrong cache.

I've seen it happen with new cachers entering an online log for the wrong cache. Like the one that logged a find for a backcountry cache here in Montana that takes an overnight camping trip to get to... and also logged a cache in Boston on the same day. I never did figure out how somebody accidently does that, but I've seen it happen a few times.

I'm often tired when I'm logging, and I open every cache page by typing in the waypoint. If I'm not paying attention, I might typo the waypoint and then click log and not notice that I'm not on the right cache page.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"