Stop the Whoring of Geocaching!!!!

Squealy

quote:
Originally posted by Kanto:

quote:
Originally posted by Czarniecki314:

Sarcasm is a tool with which only the intelligent are equipped.

...and like all tools, it can be used properly or _in_properly..

Actually, it can't be used INproperly... there's no such word. The correct negation of properly is UNproperly.

icon_eek.gif

Whoring is quite an extreme term to use..

selling one's self,promiscuous!!!!!!!

I have not seen anyone do a report on us like that.

Nor would I allow a reporter to publish something like that from me.

My opinion.

WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS *GEOTRYAGAIN*

**1803-2003** "LOUSIANA PURCHASE"

http://www.lapurchase.org

"LEWIS AND CLARK EXPADITION"

http://lewisclark.geog.missouri.edu/

Initial Points Page

http://www.True-Meridiansubscribe@yahoogroups.com

I think this may constitute whoring -

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=09dbe1f1-0095-4ed2-9471-9b92df4f0e5a

I checked the website and a search showed nothing on Geocaching - so I guess I have to buy the magazine, right?

Not putting down the article because I have not read it - but small steps like this can lead to larger ones - like the AMEX Cache and the Coke Cache.

Shut up and cache!

quote:
Originally posted by team travel pig:

ah, the life of a reporter...

"can't punctuate, poor sentence structure, yap yap yap..."

icon_rolleyes.gif

listen people, consider taking every cache placed by anyone who heard about this through newspaper, tv or magazine out of the mix, and see how many you have left. you can't have the publicity until it suits you, and then wish it away. have it, or don't. and whether you like it or not, you have it.

As yet another one of those d**m reporters I couldn't agree more. I did a story on Geocaching for our paper and it was very well received. And I found out about the sport through an article I read in a different publication.

Many of us wouldn't be here if we hadn't read about it in a newspaper or seen it through some form of media.

Granted, there are some lazy *** reporters out there who will butcher a story from time to time, but there are a select few of us who take our responsibilities quite seriously.

[This message was edited by Zoboomafoo on August 22, 2003 at 03:51 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Zoboomafoo:

I did a story on Geocaching for our paper and it was very well received. And I found out about the sport through an article I read in a different publication.

Many of us wouldn't be here if we hadn't read about it in a newspaper or seen it through some forum of media.

You got that right.

This sport needs a continued slow leak of media exposure. No ESPN2 or other blast, just a continued exposure to keep new people finding out about it.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nebraskache/

quote:
I checked the website and a search showed nothing on Geocaching - so I guess I have to buy the magazine, right?

I wouldn't think so, you're already a geocacher. but if your interested the text is here:

http://home.earthlink.net/~dboggny/TONY.htm

pardon the typos

quote:
but small steps like this can lead to larger ones - like the AMEX Cache and the Coke Cache.

doubtfull

quote:
I think this may constitute whoring

in reality, I personally don't care what you think.

quote:
Shut up and cache!

Brilliant idea.

SR and dboggny.

SMLlogo.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Squealy:

I think this may constitute whoring -

I did that cache on the way home from work last night ... there is nothing commercial about the cache, and it in no way "prostitutes" geocaching. It's a traditional cache placement and, in my opinion, is one of the better placements in Central Park.

If you had chosen to visit the cache personally prior to defaming it publicly, I suspect your opinion would have been different.

THis thread was an intresting read. While i can see some valid points on both side what bugs me about it is the underlying attitude of the orginal post. Frankly the whole thing strikes me as somewhat elitest.

It may not be the intent, but the whole thing smacks of "Don't tell the media about this.. We will give this information out to only the select few that we deem worthy to know it" That kind of attidute will destory the sport a lot faster than a whole bunch of plundered caches. For starters I'm guessing most of the poeple here found the sport from sometype of media report, and i have seen a few people post in this thread that I am glad they are here.

As for the exposure from media i dont think it is a real risk, for one thing finding caches tends to be work.. and most people that inclined towrd trashing stuff just aren't that motivated. The exposure also does draw many more real cahchers into the sport so even if a few get plundered it is offset by the new ones popping up. Also the exposure from the media is seen by folks like rangers and land managers, and since the majority of the articles I have seen have put geocaching in a postiive light, I would suspect it has helped *prevent* things like No geocahing signs in alot of areas. I mean without newspaper article the only knowledge most public land managers have about geocaching is that the NPS banned it.

Anyway that's just my 1/50th of a dollar

quote:
If you had chosen to visit the cache personally prior to defaming it publicly, I suspect your opinion would have been different.

Actually, I was planning on visiting the cache tomorrow. The problem I have - or shouldn't even say problem - the question I am bringing up is: Isn't this a commercial cache? It solicits business.

quote:
To read more about our experience hiding this cache with team sranddboggny, you can check out Time Out New York's story about geocaching in this week's issue, August 21.

It is saying that in order to see the article you need to get the magazine. Fortunately, sranddboggony generously placed a link to the article in one of his posts.

So, again, the question I am asking is: Is this considered a commercial cache since it solicits business?

Shut up and cache!

quote:

Actually, I was planning on visiting the cache tomorrow. The problem I have - or shouldn't even say problem - the question I am bringing up is: Isn't this a commercial cache? It solicits business.

They asked and received permission to list it on the site.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location™

quote:
It is saying that in order to see the article you need to get the magazine. Fortunately, sranddboggony generously placed a link to the article in one of his posts.

So, again, the question I am asking is: Is this considered a commercial cache since it solicits business?

try the library, it is still free

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy (Admin):

They asked and received permission to list it on the site.

IF so, wouldn't it have been smart of them to say so in their cache write up? It could've avoided 3 wks of debate. I'm glad you've brought that up in their defense, but if I ever get that one borderline cache done, I'm making sure I state up front I already had cleared it w/you first. Why allow a controversy to even get off the ground?

william

alt.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Desdinova:

THis thread was an intresting read. While i can see some valid points on both side what bugs me about it is the underlying attitude of the orginal post. Frankly the whole thing strikes me as somewhat elitest.

It may not be the intent, but the whole thing smacks of "Don't tell the media about this.. We will give this information out to only the select few that we deem worthy to know it" That kind of attidute will destory the sport a lot faster than a whole bunch of plundered caches. For starters I'm guessing most of the poeple here found the sport from sometype of media report, and i have seen a few people post in this thread that I am glad they are here.

I don't think it's elitist at all. I agree with you that most people who are going to trash a cache aren't going to spend the time looking for one, however MANY caches (and I mean MANY) are not all that hard to find. And that's not necessarily a bad thing. Most of the articles ARE positive, and it's great to have people get involved. I think i's just a question of wanting to protect something that's so much fun. I know I wouldn't object to an article in the paper talking about caching, but when there is too much info. you're asking for trouble. Nowhere on this thread was it a question of "do we or don't we allow the media in?" it was just the idea that too much exposure, too quickly, can lead to some trouble. The media are people too... and some would probably really love GeoCaching, just like teachers, lawyers, bankers, etc. love it.

The part that gets me isn't really the media involvement... it's the people who are trying to become GeoCaching celebrities... THAT is what I consider to be whoring. GeoCaching is a cool thing that I spend tons of time doing, but I don't run to the Bennington Banner and say, "Come with me..." I do it because it's fun -- and I take people with me (Squealy, SethJT, etc.) when I think it's something they'll enjoy. If they do, they might come with me again... they might even go out and get their own GPS and start doing caches on their own (and double my numbers... ahem!). I just think it's a cool thing that needs to be monitored by ALL cachers... and doesn't need to be a means to getting local publicity for yourself. I mean, it's almost silly... okay, not almost.

IMO, geocaching will be soft filler for newspapers for several more years. Most people don't even know what a GPS is or does, or how they work. That's the barrier.

It's kind of like computers. You still get the sense that the internet is still foreign to a lot of people. For example, I saw a story last week (on the local news) on internet chatting and all the cute abreviations people use such as LOL, etc. Here I am thinking..."this is news??" Maybe back in the early 90's it was.

I think GPS's are probably even more foreign to most. Like TIVO does for watching television, GPS's enhance hiking and mainly driving. It'll take awhile, but it'll slowly happen where these technologies are the norms.

Actually, it can't be used INproperly... there's no such word. The correct negation of properly is UNproperly.

In spite of your status as an educator (not English, I presume), you are incorrect. The Oxford English Dictionary lists improperly as the correct negation of properly and has no listing for unproperly, in spite of an exhaustive list of words negated by the prefix un.

Can you say sarcasm?

Clearly, Squealy, if your skin were any thinner, you'd look like you were covered in saran wrap.

FYI: These are attacks on your postings, not your value as persons.

quote:
Well, I gotta get back to work.
Willem Lange

quote:
Clearly, Squealy, if your skin were any thinner, you'd look like you were covered in saran wrap.

Yes, crashco, I am sure you would like that. And, I see that you still cannot let things go, even after I asked you not to try to contact me in any way. Tsk, tsk.

Shut up and cache!

I can say sarcasm. I also can see the smiley that was with my post. I also can say "BITTER"... which is what someone must be about not being first finder to another cache... so bitter that they have to do a thread search to find Squealy and my names and bust on us some more.

After four years of college as an English major with outstanding grades and four years teaching 8th grade English AND Social Studies (and having excellent state and regional test scores reported for my kids) I am pretty confident in my grasp of the English language. I'm also able to admit when I'm wrong.

I can say sarcasm... I can say quite a few other things, but I have the tact not to.

quote:
I think it's ridiculous, but amusing, when newbies discover geocaching and almost immediately lobby to "keep it a secret" and "keep out the riff-raff."

I never said geocaching was getting bad or that it should be kept a secret. I said that we need to be careful how much exposure it gets and how that exposure is presented. If you think about it - there are tons of possible bad uses for a GPSr.

Also, can you define newbie? Because I was told I was a newbie after only caching for four months and what do I know that people who have been caching for years already know and know better than me. Then I was told to drop the newbie thing considering all the finds I have.

When do I get to get on my soapbox?

When I have 10 or 20 times as many posts as finds??? icon_wink.gif (Not you BassoonP!)

Gwho - fyi

quote:
IF so, wouldn't it have been smart of them to say so in their cache write up? It could've avoided 3 wks of debate.

The cache I asked the question about was posted after this whole thread started. It didn't initiate the thread.(not being snotty - just clearing that up)

Shut up and cache!

quote:

I never said geocaching was getting bad or that it should be kept a secret. I said that we need to be careful how much exposure it gets and how that exposure is presented.

Is that what you meant by "stop the whoring of geocaching?" In the post you initiated this thread with, you suggested that media coverage draws miscreants, or "geocrashers," as you termed them, to the sport.

Yet you presented no information that would tend to support, much less substantiate, your position; you also offered no information that would indicate that people introduced to geocaching via word-of-mouth would be any less prone to become "geocrashers."

quote:
Also, can you define newbie?

Gladly. "Newbie" usually refers to an individual's experience level. Depending on the situation, the term could refer to the number of finds the individual has; it could also refer to the length of time the individual has been associated with geocaching. It could also refer to the depth of knowledge or understanding one demonstrates of the sport.

In my opinion, this thread presents an excellent example. It was initiated by an individual who has been associated with geocaching for a short period of time. The thread has an intentionally inflammatory title and the initial post contains unsupported statements that suggest that the initiator of the thread hadn't bothered to take the time nor make the effort to investigate the extent and types of coverage geocaching has received in the various media since its inception and the effect that coverage has had on the sport.

No offense is intended, but to me, that has "newbie" written all over it.

In some ways BP, you are right.  We do react to what we read depending on our moods and more often on our past experiences.

As an educator in NYC, I find the media will more often than not look for the negative and portray things in a certain light to lay blame and find scapegoats.  I am not saying the educational system is anywhere near perfrect, nor are the teachers and administrators.  But somewhere in the mix, what is always lost are the students, their parents and the roles and responsibilities they hold in the system.

Buried under that are the thousands of good things that go on in the schools each day.

I was contacted to participate in the Newsday article.  I emailed the writer, and told her that things were crazy at work - yadda, yadda...because I was leery of participating in the article. 

This "newbie" is and will always be concerned about how this "sport" (though I consider it a hobby - sport implies competition - but I think  that is another thread) is going to be publicised.  As I have said before - what if some lunatic hears about Geocaching and decides to use it for some other purpose.  Maybe I am being paranoid, but the uses of GPSr's can extended far beyond marking your trail or finding useless stuff in the middle of nowhere.  Sick people have ruined a lot of things that were started with good intentions.

I believe and still maintain that word of mouth is the best way to perpetuate the "sport" because you or I would only bring people who we think would enjoy participating in and developing Geocaching.  If they decided not to continue further I am sure they would walk away and never give it another thought.

As for "newbie", though maybe it shouldn't be, is USED in a derogatory way.  Not only here but other places as well.  Newbie is a charge that calls into question not only one's experience with something but also their commitment and right to participate.  It smacks of elitism.  "I have been caching for X amount of time and I have X amount of finds - what do you know?"  (Not a direct quote of anyone, close but not direct  - just how I see it implied).  So while I may bark about not having everyone and their brother participate in the "sport" and media whores, and think these are bad - you have implied that being a "newbie" is bad as well.  And that will alienate far more people than not broadcasting our obsession with the rest of the world.

Oh and check this out - sorry, I couldn't resist - http://www.businessweek.com:/print/magazine/content/03_35/b3847109_mz025.htm?mz

Just my thoughts.  Now...

Shut up and cache!

quote:

... If they decided not to continue further I am sure they would walk away and never give it another thought.

While I admire your faith in humankind and hope you are right, I think it's naive to take that strong a position; you/we have no control over the actions of others.

quote:
Newbie is a charge that calls into question not only one's experience with something but also their commitment and right to participate. 

I believe that to be a false statement. See below.

quote:
"I have been caching for X amount of time and I have X amount of finds - what do you know?"  (Not a direct quote of anyone, close but not direct  - just how I see it implied).

That's why it is important for those taking polarized positions, and especially those with limited time and experience in a sport/hobby/game/diversion, to present information that would tend to support and/or substantiate their position.

Frankly, there are many times when the question "What do you know?" is the most appropriate question. I think that many times, the person taking offense at being asked that very simple, very basic question has just come to the uncomfortable realization that they don't, in fact, know as much about the topic as they thought they did.

quote:
So while I may bark about not having everyone and their brother participate in the "sport" and media whores, and think these are bad - you have implied that being a "newbie" is bad as well.

No, I didn't. Like you, I have chosen not to participate in geocaching media events, but I am acquainted with several people who have, and it is my belief that the sole reason for their participation in the media event was to share an activity that has provided them much enjoyment with others.

You view that as "the whoring of geocaching." My impression is they view it as "giving something back to the sport."

[This message was edited by BassoonPilot on August 26, 2003 at 05:51 AM.]

quote:
Like you, I have chosen not to participate in such events, but I am acquainted with several people who have, and I am absolutely certain that the sole reason for their participation in the media event was to share an activity they have enjoyed with others.

I've done it (see Squealy's link) and the reason I do so is partly to share the sport with others and partly to help ensure that the reporters (who are going to report on it with our assistance, or not) get the facts straight (which is often a vain exercise). Oh, and because my mom and grandmothers get excited when they see my picture in the paper.

quote:
The part that gets me isn't really the media involvement... it's the people who are trying to become GeoCaching celebrities... THAT is what I consider to be whoring. GeoCaching is a cool thing that I spend tons of time doing, but I don't run to the Bennington Banner and say, "Come with me..." I do it because it's fun --

I don't see this happening. I've done about a half dozen interviews and was mentioned in a few articles and in every instance I was approached by the reporter. I'm not sure why I'm singled out. Perhaps it's because I own a good number of caches and when they do a search, they see my name (or is it because they see all my posts here?), or maybe it's because they take one look at my profile, see how incredibly handsome I am and think my photo would look good gracing their pages.

quote:
Coinkidink? I am begning to take these posts, squealy, a bit personal. Am i wrong to do so?

Nah, he pointed me out in his last post, so I don't think it's personal.

As far as the term newbie...I don't think most of us think of it in a derogatory sense. Often "newbies" do have valid points and can contribute to a forum like this one, but too often they come here and make authoritative statements without any practical experience to back it up. Veteran geocachers take exception when someone with two weeks in the sport and three finds, comes to these boards to lecture us about this website's rules, environmental damage, the "whoring of geocaching" and other issues. I think that's BP's point and its a good one.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on August 26, 2003 at 06:09 AM.]

It just seems funny to me that this thread was started after the Newsday article was posted and was revived after the TONY article (both articles that my wife and I participated in). Coinkidink? I am begning to take these posts, squealy, a bit personal. Am i wrong to do so?

SR and dboggny.

SMLlogo.gif

quote:
Originally posted by sranddboggny.us:

I am begning to take these posts, squealy, a bit personal. Am i wrong to do so?

SR and dboggny.

dboggny,

That's how I've begun reading this thread also and it's bugging me.

Squealy,

You may consider me from up in the boondocks, you found a couple of my caches up in Ulster county and we emailed back and forth a couple of times awhile back, but thanks to srandboggny I am an active member in the nycmagg geocaching community.

I've gotten together with danny and his wife numerous times to go geocaching. We've traveled to Long Island, Jersey and even Tarrytown to cache together with people from all over the nation that danny has organized, they've been to my home for dinner and danny even personally sewed me a custom gps holster. They have assisted many out of towners on numerous excursions to cache Central Park and have become known as the rent a cop & doctor couple, to cache Central Park with (prerepaired as Planet says.) They have done more to create a a real community of geocachers in the shadow of NYC distrust then anyone else has ever even attempted.

Think hard before you answer this question of dboggny's, you've been playing the game now it's time to meet the community.

The post is in no way a reflection on Danny or his wife. As a matter of fact, I heard about the printing of the Newday article after I started this thread (as I said, I didn't speak to the reporter). Sadly, I don't get to read the paper as often as I would like. And sometimes that is a good thing. I have had colleagues accused of misconduct - had their names thrown all over the papers because of an acusation - and after it was all cleared, and the student admitted they were lying, I have seen good people leave the system because all it takes is an acusuation to ruin someone's reputation. So, yes, I distrust the media - especially now when they look to sensationalize anything they possibly can.

As for you personally, Danny - I don't know you so in all honesty, it is not personal. While I don't know you as a professional, I have a tremendous amount of respect for you and the things you do on the job. My brother-in-law is a detective in Bed-Stuy (try planting and hunting a cache there!.

There are some things on here that have been said that do burn my ***. Let me get them out in the open.

I was called elitist (or this smaks of elitism I think was it) because I said that I felt this "sport" should be publicised by word of mouth. The elite are those who believe that because people have only been doing something for four months means they don't know squat about it when they ask a question, use the term "newbie" negatively - there is a hidden jab thrown in there regardless of what people say.

I am the type of person who throws themself into something they love. In the past 5 months - I have found 178 (I think) caches. Not too bad. I hardly consider myself to be a newbie. The newbie thing is offensive. And for me personally, I have been told numerous times that I am too new, or don't have enough experience to do something.

Bear with me for a minute and let me explain:

In my first 7 years as an educator I:

1. Started teaching at 22 - "You're too young to start."

2. Elected union rep of my school at 25 - "Why don't you let X, continue to do it? He's done it forever and you're still young. You have time."

3. Appointed Dean of students at 26 - "Maybe you should wait a year or two - you don't have enough exp."

4. Appointed Assistan Principal at 27 - "After only 6 years teaching? You are way too young."

Anyone who works for or with me will tell you how I throw myself into my job and they will honestly tell you the type of job I do - so yes, when someone questions my experience and age, it strikes a chord and I will respond - I enjoy proving people wrong.

Now the TONY cache clearly appeared to be a commercial cache - but the boss says no and that permission was granted, and that is good enough for me. Hopefully, they will do a follow-up to the article using the pictures from the cache and some log entries to help positively publicise the "sport".

(If I stray off topic and appear incoherent please bear with me - I am currently juggling teacher certification, registration, class organizations, maintenance issues, graduation requests for June - yes, June and it is only Aug, etc........)

Throughout this thread, I have said that I think those who do speak to the media need to be careful. And I still think that. While the Businessweek article is not terrible, it still does distort what goes on here. And Brian, I have seen your pic that is NOT why they come to speak to you. icon_wink.gif Hand model maybe...

I do believe that over-exposure (OK - now I was just called to the office to break into the filing cabinets!!!) will lead to a number of bad things - mainly, the banning of Geocaching. We will have to hunt caches in each others yards. Don't say - "that won't happen" because it is possible.

So for those of you who do speak to the media - be careful, request a copy of the article before it goes to print, think carefully about which publication is writing the article and make the positive aspects of caching the focus of the article.

I enjoy this hobby and do not wish to have to stop doing it anytime in the future.

And Danny, a challenge for you. Forest Hills is not too far from Valley Stream - come on down and check out my caches - especially the Valley Rally and tell me if you feel it was placed by a newbie.

Happy hunting!

Now...

Shut up and cache!

Squealy....

I really don't think any of the cachers here who have spoken to the media are doing so to become geocaching celebrities. In my experience, and I speak from experience because I'm a journalist who has also written a story about geocaching (which is up for an award coincidentally), that's not the case at all.

When I did my story I went to our local geocaching group and asked for potential subjects for an interview and to seek a cache with one day. After touching base with a couple of local cachers I found one whose schedule would work with mine.

Typically it is the same people who do this. Maybe it's because they're more comfortable speaking to the media. Maybe it's because they're the most vocal among their local groups.

But to suggest that cachers are actively seeking out media attention for a scant 15 minutes of fame on a local lever is somewhat misguided in my opinion.

quote:
When I did my story I went to our local geocaching group and asked for potential subjects for an interview and to seek a cache with one day. After touching base with a couple of local cachers I found one whose schedule would work with mine.

That's probably it for me, since I've been out of work for 7 of the past 11 months, I'm usually able to work out something with the reporters and photographers. Darn it, and I thought it was my profile photo all this time icon_redface.gif

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

Senecca (sorry if I misspelled) is also an excellent playwrite -- not being a jerk, it makes me chuckle when I read about the play written about me. Alot nicer than some of the notes my kids have written about me! (hm, I might be replying to my thread about newbies... but most of you have read it... I'll get into the whoring thing, don't worry).

I think the term newbie was really well defined by Snoogans. And I think in some ways I'm definitely a newbie. I've done a variety of caches, but my placing abilities need practice and I complain about steep hills... just ask Squealy. I don't like when it's derogatory. That frustrates me.

As for substantiating things with facts. Squealy is an excellent educator -- believe me, I know... having worked under his guidance for three years. (But I won't let HIM say that)

He's also an excellent cacher and I don't think he can be considered a newbie. I took him on his first few hunts and believe me, he knows more about GeoCaching at this point than I do. He's better at hiding and sometimes at finding and he does research before going out into the field. I definitely think alot of this thread has gotten angry but when you really look at what people are saying, we all have valid points.

The media is one of those things people are always going to disagree about. (about which people are always going to disagree -- hello, English teacher) My take on the media in light of GeoCaching is that some articles are really, really good... some are really, really poor, and some fall in the middle... it's all about the bell curve (who's been analyzing test results all morning? That would be me.). It's a case of chance, but like everything else, we can all take steps to better our chances at being viewed in a positive light.

MANY of my friends think GeoCaching is completely bizarre... but I talk about it in a way so that they're not going around bad-mouthing it. We have to be careful.

All I can say is that without GeoCaching my dog would be devastated, I would be unhappy and Squealy and I wouldn't have so many explosive arguments (hahaha) -- and I would hate to see it ruined. And I'm sticking to my GeoCrashing.com analogy because I think it's a really good way to sum up some recent activity. Look at what happened to the Valley Rally... that was obvious vandalism. And sure, the kid probably didn't research on the website, but he could now if he wanted to.

I definitely respect all of the opinions on this page and I understand that we disagree... I just think we should be AWARE of each other's feelings and incorporate them into our own experiences. Even if it's just to poke fun at each other.

Keep caching... I need to get my butt back to work... how sad that my career is infringing on my caching time!

Why do I read the forums? icon_mad.gif

Reading this whole thread has been a little disheartening for me. I think the original topic was slightly "attacked"... and I think that people had a right to do so. I also think the original post made some very good points that were only meant to say "Hey... geocaching means a lot to me, I don't want it to get ruined. I am concerned that *this and that* could ruin it."

Let me say this... last fall I went with a large local television station to "whore" geocaching. I went because I knew they were going to do the story whether I went with them or not, so why not give them a perspective that will attract other good people who might enjoy the sport? I focused on getting outdoors, on sightseeing, on hiking. I didn't focus on the "Hey! There are boxes of neat stuff in the woods! Come and get it!" aspect of it. We let it be known that there is really nothing of value to be found, and that's where we left that issue. The media knows about us and they WILL do stories about us. It's our job to represent it properly.

Now... I want to say that I generally agree that too much publicity is bad. I know a lot of people disagree with me and I don't care. I have noticed a climb in lootings in my area, I have also noticed a climb in people who just aren't responsible about caching. Not all of this can be attributed to the media though. I also think that it is possible for there to be too many geocachers. I am personally hoping for the number of us to plateau sometime soon. Call me selfish... I didn't find out about geocaching from the media so "nananananana!"

Okay, here's where I try to prevent people I have upset in the last paragraph from yelling at me. So many people have found out about geocaching from the media, it's hard to argue that it's a bad thing (although... I sorta just did that, huh?) I have met many friends through geocaching that would not know about it if the media's eyes were kept blind to us. So far... no real damage done. Everything that has come from the media has been good for the most part.

Maybe I'm just paranoid about the media... I don't typically trust them. This, I have a feeling, has nothing to do with that though. I am going to come out right here and say... I am selfish! I want to keep geocaching at the nice friendly level it's at now, and I don't want anyone to ruin it! I love geocaching right now! I have a feeling that's what other people who don't want the media in on it are feeling too...

My final thoughts about this thread are... for god's sake... stop judging people on their number of finds, posts, months caching, ANYTHING. It's so stupid... embrace so-called "newbies" and stop calling them that like it's a bad thing. You were once a newbie... and they have good ideas too, you know. They have a right to their opinion, just as children have a right to their opinions about life even though they are "newbies" of life. And frankly... most of the time, they are right. If you disagree with them... be friendly about it and at least give them something positive from all your ranting. Don't rip them to shreds, alright?

Alright... off my soapbox.

-Zach

-Team Zen-

migo_sig_logo.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Team GPSaxophone:

Why is it that BrianSnat and I are the only ones with post totals greater than 0?

As you are doubtlessly aware by now, BrianSnat is a "Can Do!" kind of guy. He wasn't going to sit there and let a zero post count get him down; he immediately sprung into action, tackled the problem and resolved the issue. icon_wink.gif

(Incidentally, the BrianSnat action figure is now available in the Groundspeak store for only $19.95. Also available is a rather bizzare collection of ensembles and accessories.) icon_wink.gif

Actually, isn;t it "IMproperly" ??

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Kanto:

quote:

icon_eek.gif

quote:
(Incidentally, the BrianSnat action figure is now available in the Groundspeak store for only $19.95. Also available is a rather bizzare collection of ensembles and accessories.)

Ammo boxes sold separately.

Man... What would you guy's do if you ever came up with a cure for cancer??

Something like Geocaching isn't a Secret to be held in confidence it's a healthy beneficial activity that's meant to be shared and enjoyed.

Does it really matter if you see it on the TV, or in the paper? I host a website dedicated to it. Should I go silent, Of course not! I believe that only "OUR" type of people are going to go into the woods (Rather far sometimes) and search in a boggy (lol) swamp for a small cache of Five cent trinkets. It's something you've always wanted to do anyway...

I mean if my grandmother reads an article on Geocaching, well she's not going to run out and buy a GPS. But, if Joe shmoe down the block happens to see a segment on TV about it and has always wanted to search for "Treasure" well then I'm glad it was on for him to see.

If you’re worried about everyone who sees an article on Geocaching going out and doing it, well I don't think you have to worry.

Some may try, but most will get tired and go home.

-Mus....

I'm off to make a CACHE withdrawal...

SMLlogo.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

quote:
Originally posted by Clown Knife:

Have you seen these signs posted?

No skateboarding! No bicycling! No dogs! No overnight camping! Soon to be No Geocaching!

And people wonder why I come down hard on the "Anti" Crowd. There is more to life than staying home behind your closed and locked door. It ususally involves getting out and that steps on toes even if you are nice. To think that rollerblading (another one of those things that attracts signs) is evil along with biking, dogs, skateboarding is stupid and narrow minded.

The people that promote those "Anti" signs also have another sign they like to put up. "No public bathrooms - but do come in and spend your money on our overpriced junk"

I totally agree. Too much publicity, then maybe some negative reporting or some incident being blown way out of proportion and BANG! The law-makers will be busy making more "ANTI" laws, since that's all they seem to know how to do. I found out about geocaching after seeing it mentioned on the wheresgeorge.com website; which I found no thanks to the mind-control media, but by finding a WG bill. I'm for word of mouth. Thanks.

InkyCat (the "Island Girl")

Glad to know I'm not the only grammar freak, although I think the antecedent to "it" was "GeoCaching", BP, although not directly stated. Is it possible there's someone out there more picky about grammar than I? I'm still standing my ground that word of mouth is a very good thing.

There are counties and parks which ban GeoCaching, I know I don't want any around here doing it... especially since there are not all that many caches in the Bennington area.

Oh, I'm also sticking to my assumption that it's not a case of keeping the media OUT, but more a case of being careful.

Why do I read the forums? icon_mad.gif