New way to geocache

TEAM 360

From an on-line entry: (not mine)

"Stood on the hill and saw the cache BUT we could not go get it. There were two Pickup trucks and 6 workers there working on the Tank and pump equipment we Talked to them and they were real interested in our GPS. We Were not about to disclose the site. So we told them we were matching the map location with the actual location by GPS. We left a Pile of stones to mark the fact we were there.

Maybe we will be back in the future."

This was logged as a FIND. No, they never came back.

Between these kinds of "finds" and the "fake cacher" in New Jersey I just read about, I am wondering why I even bother GETTING MY A** UP OFF THE COUCH AND ACTUALLY GO CACHING.

Okay, vent off. Let the games begin!

[This message was edited by TEAM 360 on April 28, 2003 at 05:22 PM.]

I just got to ask. How did you explaine the pile of rocks you were making to them without looking strange?

But really it is just part of the game. You just have to look at the bright side. If you decide to log it officially it is just really a run and sighn kinda day.

Semper Fi

Hawk Chucker

quote:
Originally posted by TEAM 360:

From an on-line entry: (not mine)

"Stood on the hill and saw the cache BUT we could not go get it. There were two Pickup trucks and 6 workers there working on the Tank and pump equipment we Talked to them and they were real interested in our GPS. We Were not about to disclose the site. So we told them we were matching the map location with the actual location by GPS. We left a Pile of stones to mark the fact we were there.

Maybe we will be back in the future."

Between these kinds of "finds" and the "fake cacher" in New Jersey I just read about, I am wondering why I even bother GETTING MY A** UP OFF THE COUCH AND ACTUALLY GO CACHING.

Okay, vent off. Let the games begin!

[This message was edited by TEAM 360 on April 28, 2003 at 05:22 PM.]

Well - that ain't as lame as the "found" logs from someone who just happened to be with the cache hider while the cache was being hidden. It's no big deal, really - but it does make me go "hmmmm..."

quote:
Originally posted by StarshipTrooper:

Well - that ain't as lame as the "found" logs from someone who just happened to be with the cache hider while the cache was being hidden. It's no big deal, really - but it does make me go "hmmmm..."

I've never had occasion to do that, but I think usually it's just to keep it from showing up in your searches, not to pad numbers.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

"Winter's just the curtain. Spring will take the bow"

-- Richard Shindell, Spring

quote:
Originally posted by TEAM 360:

I've logged a find when I didn't physically lay my hands on the cache.

It was a micro in a public park. A park that is quite far from my house and I went there to cache (there were 2 or 3 in that park). I tracked the cache using my GPS, then found the cache. I saw the actual cache container (not, oh, it must be in that hiding place if I could just move those branches). Knew instantly that that was it. But there were eyes watching me. Some guy sitting in his car was just sitting there. So I elected to log the cache as a find. The owner did not object. In fact, he has a policy of "log it as a find, but don't compromise its location."

Since I'm rarely in the area, I didn't have a problem with that find and neither did the cache owner.

Cheval

To finish is to win. www.aerc.org

It's generally viewed that if you didn't sign the log, you didn't get the find. It's not uncommon for peole to place 'FAKE' caches near the actual cache. When you open them up they say "this is not it". If you lower the bar to just spotting the cache, how do you know you haven't spotted a fake?

If you can see it, but not reach it, you either need to wait or have your buddy fake a heart attack at the other end of the park.

In the end, if the hider doesn't mind then you get to keep your find, but did you really accomplish the goal?

george

Wanna go for a ride?

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

It's generally viewed that if you didn't sign the log, you didn't get the find. It's not uncommon for peole to place 'FAKE' caches near the actual cache. When you open them up they say "this is not it". If you lower the bar to just spotting the cache, how do you know you haven't spotted a fake?

If you can see it, but not reach it, you either need to wait or have your buddy fake a heart attack at the other end of the park.

In the end, if the hider doesn't mind then you get to keep your find, but did you really accomplish the goal?

Not lowering the bar. Just the way I played that one. And I accomplished my goal. I found that cache. Just because I didn't sign the log book doesn't mean I didn't find it. Got it signed later, but logged it the day I found it. If the cache owner objected, I would have been ok with that, too.

Another cache I've found was so hard to open that the cache owner has repeatedly said if you can't open it, no biggee, just log it as a find and go on your way.

Mostly, I agree to sign the log book. I like doing that! Can't on all occasions due to circumstances. That's all I'm saying. I'd say 99% of my found caches have a log entry in the physical log book. Some don't due to circumstances.

How many times have you found a wet log book and couldn't log it? Did you wait until the owner replaced the book and then went and logged in the physical book? If so, kudos to you, I probably wouldn't.

A fake cache is a great idea, though!

Cheval

To finish is to win. www.aerc.org

I agree with georgeandmary, part of the challenge of a micro in a high traffic area, is the stealth needed to sign the log. My first find was plundered within a short time of my finding it. It was a micro in a parking lot, and I'm pretty sure somebody saw me either snag it, or replace it (although I didn't see anybody at the time). This impressed on me the importance of stealth. I have gotten better at stealth mainly by thinking about it, but until I get much better at it, I'll do the high traffic area micros during less crowded times of day.

If I were the cache owner, I would rather you log a find after describing to me exactly where you saw the cache, even if you didn't sign the log, than have my cache plundered because you did.

But as the cache hunter, signing the log, and successfully re-hiding the cache is what I call a 'find'.

If trees could scream, would we still cut them down?

Well, maybe if they screamed all the time, for no reason.

Click here for my Geocaching pictures

Cheval - "Not lowering the bar. Just the way I played that one. And I accomplished my goal. I found that cache. Just because I didn't sign the log book doesn't mean I didn't find it. Got it signed later, but logged it the day I found it. If the cache owner objected, I would have been ok with that, too."

No problems with that,as long as you got it signed at one point or another (as long as it's not too much time inbetween). But to just eyeball the cache and claim a "find" is wrong in my book. If that were the case, I could stand at the bottom of the cliffs of every level 5 terrain and find it with binoculars, and as long as I saw the cache, I could claim it. That's a "no-find" in my opinion.

Personally I would say it depends on the exact reasons at the time of the find. I had one micro I found on the first attempt but I had to make 3 visits before I could sign the log book and count it as a find. It was over 20 miles away but I was in the area on a regular basis. Now if this was a person who had traveled many miles only to find a busy area at the time they were there then I would not have a problem with them counting it as a find.

Heck, I don't care if you sit at home and log a cache as a find, you aren't cheating me out of anything, you are only cheating yourself.

Why worry over the small stuff, and remember it is all small stuff.

T360 I'm with you 100% on this one. Like you I was reviewing caches I had visited and saw one that had been archived a month after I posted a long and detailed DNF. (no boring log entries from me icon_rolleyes.gif) The cache owner finally made a visit to the site and discovered that the heavy winter storm runoff had run off with his cache.A week after my DPF post someone wrote:

quote:
We sorta found it! Following a long trek with little guidance, we got to within 30 feet of it, according to our little yellow GPS. The water was up, it was late, we were tired, so we remained landlubbers. Had it been other conditions, I'm sure we would have completed the mission, certainly one of the most unique endings to a cache hunt! Thanks for the exercise. I rate this one as a real heartpounder

Now this cache is over a mile from parking on varied terrain, the last .25m over a pretty rough trail along the river. The cache was on an island which could only be accessed by Robin Hooding accross a fallen tree. At first I was kinda pissed that the had the 'nads to list it as a find, but then I remembered that we are all playing by our own rules here. Like golf this sport is self policed and if you want to use a foot wedge go right ahead. Me-I count every stroke. I'm just ticked that I can't go back to log a proper find now; something I take pride on doing for every DNF I have posted.

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane

We were actually just discussing something very similar to this on the GBES (Nevada) Geocacher's forum. Someone had hiked ALMOST to one of our member's caches, but wasn't wearing the proper shoes, so he stopped short of the location. However, since he knew where it was, he decided it would be okay to log it as a find. We deliberated for quite some time, but in the end, we thought it was really a half-a** find. If you're going to cache, cache all the way!

quote:
Originally posted by Dinoprophet:

quote:
Originally posted by StarshipTrooper:

I've never had occasion to do that, but I think usually it's just to keep it from showing up in your searches, not to pad numbers.

Thanks for that tip, Dinoprophet. The hmmming in my head has stopped (for now). Makes perfect sense, and as someone else said - "Why worry over the small stuff, and remember it is all small stuff."

I recall finding a cache where I did not sign in because the container was cracked and the log book was soaking wet. Others also logged how wet the cache was. So instead of signing in, I took a picture of the cache in my hand and posted it in my online log. I could have left a fresh log book, but with the container as bad as it was, the new one would have been destroyed as well. I need to always be sure I have some ziplocks with me.

[This message was edited by cachew nut on April 29, 2003 at 06:23 PM.]

I think since there is nothing to be gained by your numbers except an inflated ego, whats the harm to me if someone pads there finds. I personally like the all or nothing stance, but thats how I judge myself. If someone with a disability has the cajones to fight their way as close as they feel they can safely get to a difficult cache, why would I care if they log it? However, if your being lazy, don't cache with me. icon_wink.gif The incident with the folks not compromising the location of the cache would be appreciated by me if it were mine, and I wouldn't care if they logged it.

Two roads diverged in the woods and I,

I took the one less traveled,

and that is how I found the cache.

Do we need a new rule here? Log always, all the time. If you can't log a soggy spitball of a cache log you are unworthy to carry the name Geocacher and should be demoted to geosquire only fit to carry the gearbag of those who are your betters?

Another? If your lack of discression causes a cache to be plundered, and yes you have to log the log book, you have to paige for the squire.

Speaking of this, I'm looking for a geo intern. Preferably a P.Y.T. knowledge of geocaching entirly optional.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

What? No 20 lashes while bound by the ankles and wrists to the main mast? icon_eek.gif I would think revealing a cache would at least bring down a quick 20 with the cat-o-nines... icon_mad.gif

I know there are exeptions to the "no-log, no-find" rule (such as wet mushy logbook). If I get to a cache and someone is keeping their eagle eye on me, I come back later to claim the find. That's just me, however. Maybe I am too tough and consider myself a "purist".

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

I'm looking for a geo intern. Preferably a P.Y.T. knowledge of geocaching entirly optional.

So, uhhh, you're hoping that this intern will be able to find a cigar-tube micro?

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Some mornings, it just doesn't pay to chew through the leather straps. - Emo Phillips

quote:
Renegade Knight: Speaking of this, I'm looking for a geo intern. Preferably a P.Y.T. knowledge of geocaching entirly optional.

You might want to check with BrianSnat. In another thread he mentioned something about a personal tick picker named Anna.

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane

quote:
Originally posted by The Leprechauns:

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

I'm looking for a geo intern. Preferably a P.Y.T. knowledge of geocaching entirly optional.

So, uhhh, you're hoping that this intern will be able to find a cigar-tube micro?

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Some mornings, it just doesn't pay to chew through the leather straps. - Emo Phillips

Alas, I don't smoke so I don't have the presedentual luxury of compensating with cigars. I have to do my own stunt work.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.