Has anyone tried this (or similar) Digital compass watch?

martmann

Click HERE to see the one I'm talking about. It's a timex and it's only $46.72 at Walmart.

I'm new, just got my eTrex basic, have not even looked for a cache yet, but I think this would be easier than holding a compass and a GPSr.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

If trees could scream, would we still cut them down?

Well, maybe if they screamed all the time, for no reason.

I'm not sure how a compass watch would be easier than holding a separate compass.

I've had a Casio compass watch. You have to press the bearing button every time. The North reference isn't continuous. Pushing the button all the time is very irritating. Turn push, turn push, turn push,"ok that's north". It also takes three seconds to take a reading. Even those carabeaner digital compasses are slow.

A small compass on a lanyard is much more convenient.

The Timex you showed looks like it only gives the heading in degrees and you have to turn the bezel just to make it point north. "Ok heading says 153 degrees, turn bezel to 153 degrees, ok north is over there WooHoo". I think that's just a little to much involved.

39197_2100.gif

Do not extend your expectations unto others, you will not be disappointed by the stupid things they do.

Mokita!

[This message was edited by leatherman on March 16, 2003 at 10:40 AM.]

It's a gadget, so I of course have one, as well as a couple of altimeter watches etc. If you're into gadgets, it's got the gadget fun factor going for it, but it's not very practical or accurate. To use it, you try and get it level, then mash the button and it gives you the reading of where it thinks it's pointing. (Not a continuous reading so you have to mash the button each time you want a reading) You then have to rotate the bezel to line up with the number it gives so you can see where everything is in relation to north. Accuracy is somewhere in the neighborhood of plus or minus 10 degrees.

It takes two hands to use, and is by no means easier to use than just about any old fashioned analog compass I've ever used. If you're looking for a cheap watch to use in the field, and a back up compass primarily for the fun factor, it's okay.

Ahh, see now I didn't know that leatherman and am glad I asked. How about your Pathfinder, Volwrath, is it similar to Leatherman's experience?

Do you need a compass that often for geocaching?

I was thinking if the compass was on my wrist it would always be there if I did need it, but I don't have to think about it if I don't. If it is an often used item, those 3 second waits would add up.

quote:
Originally posted by martmann:

If trees could scream, I would be more concerned that one would bend over and whack me on the head.

pyth.gif

39197_2100.gif

Do not extend your expectations unto others, you will not be disappointed by the stupid things they do.

Mokita!

I have one of THESE which saved by butt on a recent excursion up a mountain near sundown (coming down was AFTER, of course). The compass doesn't work nearly as well as I would like but the LED light is a lifesaver . . er . . buttsaver.

Dakota has a new clip watch with an electronic compass. I don't know how much better it would be but at least it wouldn't have/develop a bubble, right?

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

quote:
Originally posted by CYBret:

I have one of these which saved by butt on a recent excursion up a mountain near sundown (coming down was AFTER, of course). The compass doesn't work nearly as well as I would like but the LED light is a lifesaver . . er . . buttsaver.

Dakota has a new clip watch with an electronic compass. I don't know how much better it would be but at least it wouldn't have/develop a bubble, right?

I'll second the part about the LED light. I have the Angler II myself, which is even more convenient because I can point the light just about anywhere without removing it from my hip.

The compass is okay, but I'll take the extra minute to dig my Silva out of the caching bag rather than try to use the one on the watch. The only thing I can say for it is that at least it usually manages to find north, which is more than I can say for some toy compasses I've tried.

The thermometer, however, is utterly useless. Mine always reads 90°, because it's always right next to my body. I suppose if I wanted to set it on a rock and let it stabilize for several minutes I could get a temperature reading, but it's just not worth it.

warm.gif

The Suunto watches are probably the best, when it comes to accuracy. I believe they're supposed to be accurate to within 2°, when calibrated and used properly. Mine tends to require recalibration every few months. There's no indication that it needs calibration, it's just up to you to notice that it's behaving oddly. The compass in my Blazer actually notifies you that it's out of whack.

3608_2800.gif

I had a really bad experience with a unit called the Alti-Tech, from a company called High Gear. This stuff is carried by REI, but I'm told they're dropping it like a hot potato because of too many returns.

The units are advertised as pro equipment and sold at a pretty hefty price. It's really cheaply made, all-plastic crap, the kind of stuff you'd pick up at a flea market for five bucks or less. I went through three alti-techs, and not one of them had all four buttons working. I finally gave up and got a refund.

All I wanted was a decent digital compass. I ended up buying the Brunton, for half the money. It's not small, but it works well.

--

Scott Johnson (ScottJ)

I've got one and it works great. I've only had to recalibrate it once in 5 months. I did notice that for real accuracy, you have to hold it perfectly flat...its reading does vary if you tilt it. Otherwise, I find it very reliable. It's good when you're about 100 ft or so from a cache and get that last bearing you need to take an azimuth and head in towards the prize.

quote:
VictorJWood said: Do you have this one ? http://www.casio-europe.com/euro/wat/collections/protrek/lineup/satellite_navi/

Victor

I came really close to buying one, and would have except it doesn't seem to work very well. I got a salesman bring one outside as he too was very curious as to how they worked. It didn't seem to want to hold a lock, which is what the reports I've read about them say as well. I'm sure they'll sort out the reception and battery issues eventually though, so I expect to own one sometime in the future.

I'm wearing my Timex Expedition watch right now, and have for about six months. It works, and up here in the upper left corner, the fact that it will automatically subtract the 20° for declination is nice.

The biggest drawback is that the compass button can get pushed too easy -- merely by bending back my wrist too far, the back of my hand will press the button in. If it's pushed in for more than three seconds, it tries to recalibrate the compass.

So, every time I go out geocaching and want to use it, I have to recalibrate it, which consists of pressing in the button, then rotating the watch twice. You thought the drunken bee dance looked goofy in the middle of the woods -- try doing the watch calibration pirouette in the parking lot.

I like my Silva better, because it's not as embarassing to calibrate, and because it doesn't beep every time I look at it.

So, when I head out, my first choice is my Silva, my second choice is my Timex, my third choice is a compass built into a plastic emergency whistle, and my last choice is a bag full of plastic compass rings I got from Oriental Trading Company that I use as a quasi-signature item.

"I'm sure she would have been thrilled to find so much pooh in a little metal box."

quote:
Originally posted by Cape Cod Cacher:

I keep mine on the bottom of the Atlantic ocean off S. Carolina. Ticked me off ONE too many times, so it went overboard...

LOL! I'll be sure to keep an eye out for it next time I'm wreck diving up there!

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

quote:
Originally posted by Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy:

I'll second the part about the LED light. I have the http://www.dakotawatchco.com/DWC/subcategory.asp?CategoryID=51 myself, which is even more convenient because I can point the light just about anywhere without removing it from my hip.

I carry an LED light in my car & in my pack -- one of these. It's a dive light (one of my other hobbies), so can handle any amount of water exposure and will run about forever on a single set of batteries. Costs about $25-30 in any scuba store, and WELL worth it for use as a regular flashlight.

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

quote:
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VictorJWood said: Do you have this one ? http://www.casio-europe.com/euro/wat/collections/protrek/lineup/satellite_navi/

and Searching_Ut said:

I came really close to buying one, and would have except it doesn't seem to work very well.

I do have one that I actually bought before gecaching. My intent was to use the watch when I was doing a little photography so I could note the actual location I took a picture.

Unfortunately, even though this watch is accurate when it works (I verified that at a surveyed point), it is quite tempermental in holding a lock.

I am disappointed in the watch for all the expense! I've never been disappointed with my eTrex Legend though!

"The hardest thing to find is something that's not there!"

quote:
Johnnyvegas said:

When it comes to a watch with a compass, Get one made by Suunto. The Suunto is the best, it will cost more, but you get what you pay for. I know the Timex, I do not like it at all, I own a Suunto.

I haven't ever had the chance to use a Suunto electronic compass other than in a store. I do however have and use a Suunto vista sighting compass. The technology may be old, but it's a remarkably accurate piece of equipment. Reliable, simple, fast and accurate, it's hard to beat.

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

Sooooo Where's the compass. All I see is a bearing. I want a pointer (and a bearing)

==============================

Wherever you go there you are.

Yup that is a problem, you just have to rotate the bezel until your heading is aligned with the arrow on the face of the watch. Not real ergonomic.

Anyway, I have now been on 16 cache hunts, I have found 14 including 1 first finder, the 2 I didn't find, were verified missing by the owners with no one finding them after me until replaced.

All with a simple $9 compass I bought at G.I. Joes, and my eTrex. I almost always need the hints though. I use my compass A LOT when caching, and can't imagine having as much fun or success without it.

I Definitely appreciate all the replies, which let me save my money, and pass on the watch. Nothing could be easier than a cheap compass.

Thanks

Click here for my Geocaching pictures

I have my Casio Pathfinder/Triple Sensor for about 6 years now, I think it's great as a backup. It also has a barometer/ altimeter in it. It does give you a continuous compass reading, if you press and hold the compass button. In terms of accuracy, I won't use it to direct air strike, but I think it's accurate enough for normal use. The only complain is that if you use it too often, the batteries are not going to last too long, and the watch itself may be too bulky for people with smaller hands (like myself)

I have the Suunto Vector, and like it very much. I have also owned a Casio triple sensor, and like the Suunto better. It is built better and the compass, altimiter, etc. seem to be more accurate. If you want all this stuff in a watch, get a good one. If you don't care about it all in a watch get a stand alone compass, it will be alot cheapre for a nice one.

Squeaks