Urban/City Locations

Guest Lorddewi@aol.com

Guest Lorddewi@aol.com

Understanding that you should not leave a cache on a private property... but...

Has anyone been leaving caches in settings that are "easy to find" but hard to locate?

For instance...

Your GPS takes you to a building, but the building you are in is 22 stories tall. But, perhaps on the 22nd story is a Bar and the Bartender is "Hip to Geocaching" and if you "Utter a certain phrase or clue", He'll hand you the cache. Perhaps pour you a drink, reward you for a job well done.

Of course if you utter the "password" to an unknowing Bartender he or she will stare blankly at you.

Just wondering because I'd love to start this "cache" since I live in an urban area.

Perhaps it could be an end of the day reward for your geocaching!

Is this in the spirit of Geocaching?

Guest Steve D

This is a brand new sport really, so the spirit of geocaching is whatever we, the planters and hunters, make of it.

I think that whatever makes the hunt challenging, not impossible, but not a walk in the park, is in the true spirit of the game.

So I'd say "Go for it!" if you think it will work and let others try it and see what they say!

Guest robanna

I thought it would be great if an outfitter set up a cache in there store and if you find it you get a free bandana or a key chain with there logo on it.

Let the advertising begin!!

Guest Lasivian

Suddenly now I feel like going downtown to a high-rise bank building where I know the maintenence folks and put one on the roof (it's only 18 stories, but what the hell..

"Uh bob, it points to inside the building, but says we'll be able to get coordinates when we're at it, i'm worried"

------------------

Lasivian@usa.net - ICQ 3619356 - www.fastq.com/~lasivian

I've had the same idea for months, but have been unable to locate a building in the area that has public access to the rooftop. There are a few multi-level parking garages, but none seem to have a rooftop location suitable for a cache. I was thinking of checking the garage at PDX, but I think the local Port Authority would frown upon small packages left unattended on their premises icon_smile.gif

------------------

www.gpscache.com

10 507069E 5038901N

45.50361N -122.90951W

I've had the same idea for months, but have been unable to locate a building in the area that has public access to the rooftop. There are a few multi-level parking garages, but none seem to have a rooftop location suitable for a cache. I was thinking of checking the garage at PDX, but I think the local Port Authority would frown upon small packages left unattended on their premises icon_smile.gif

------------------

www.gpscache.com

10 507069E 5038901N

45.50361N -122.90951W

Guest Cape Cod Cache

I've been thinking along the same lines for a while. I live in a tourist area, so I'm expecting alot of traffic in the summer. Password is good, but you should have to flash a GPS so the Bozo behind you in line doesn't get any nutty ideas !!! I think I might talk to the Chamber of Commerce and a few places nearby, a free ice cream or game of mini golf could be hip. I don't see any opposition to it from business owners, after all, I just delivered someone that will travel miles for a friggin superball and a key chain AFTER he/she spent at least $100 on a gadget ! GOD BLESS AMERICA !!!!!

See ya after Memorial Day !

Guest seward

Living in NYC, I and others have placed caches in very public areas at street level (or below) have yet to see one in a building, but a parking garage is a great idea. If you look around the city there are zillions of locations both hidden and in plain view for a micro cache. I would love to have a cache at a coffeeshop, 1/2 price if you are carrying a GPS unit.