You, Me,Him,Her and Them!!!!!

My lifetime so far has been spent trying to find the most untamed enviroments to see and explore before they are gone. I have only been to one place in all my travels where it was difficult to see that a human presence was even there. We are all differant in our cares for the enviroment. One person is a litterbug, one likes to steal trees and shrubs to take home, some ride there motor vehichles over protected areas, some build fires and burn the woods down, and then there are the ones who couldn't care less about anything. I have to believe that times will never change, and no matter how hard we would like to keep our world nice, there will always be the ones who will trample the piss out of it. Education will never be enough, It may make some people aware, but only a few will follow eviromental guidelines. Enforcement of laws will not even stop people from destroying. Hell, look at the litter laws, Do they work?? No!! If I could make the world a better place I would, but it takes the complete help of all members of this human race, and that will never happen because not enough people care. Do your part, its important that you do!!! Why not make a litter law that gives a reward to a person catching a person littering on film. $2000.00 fine $1000.00 to the state, $500.00 to the litterer cacher, and $500.00 to a litter education program for the schools. Just a thought.

[This message was edited by seeker bp (Team E-Trex) on August 01, 2002 at 10:03 AM.]

I am sick and tired of people climing tha tany human presence degrades and area. Your problem is you were born at leat 200 years too late. We were not dropped here off some darn spaceship. We are as much a part of the environment as any other species. Yes I am a species chauvinist!

quote:
Originally posted by seeker bp (Team E-Trex):

and then there are the ones who could care less about anything.

Just a little pet peeve of mine... The correct phrase is "couldN'T care less." I bet 99.9% of everyone who uses that phrase gets it wrong. Sorry, just trying to make people aware.

quote:
Originally posted by seeker bp (Team E-Trex): I have to believe that times will never change, and no matter how hard we would like to keep our world nice, there will always be the ones who will trample the piss out of it. Education will never be enough, It may make some people aware, but only a few will follow eviromental guidelines. Enforcement of laws will not even stop people from destroying. Hell, look at the litter laws, Do they work?? No!! If I could make the world a better place I would, but it takes the complete help of all members of this human race, and that will never happen because not enough people care. Do your part, its important that you do!!!

I agree. What bothers me is when people, not necessarily you, care more about protecting the environment than protecting other people. Or, for that matter, when people put the "rights" of animals over people. I believe there's a balance that needs to be achieved.

dteec

[This message was edited by dteec on August 01, 2002 at 08:32 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by headmj:

I am sick and tired of people climing tha tany human presence degrades and area. Your problem is you were born at leat 200 years too late. We were not dropped here off some darn spaceship. We are as much a part of the environment as any other species. Yes I am a species chauvinist!

Do you hover in and out of the woods when you look for caches? If not, then your presence does affect the surroundings. Granted, it may be in the most teeny-tiny way - but yes, every person that looks for a cache does affect the area.

He wasn't specifically accusing you of being careless or purposely damaging the area - what I gathered from the post was that no matter where you are, there will never be a perfectly untouched area. It just isn't human nature to go into a place and be so careful as to leave no trace - whether litter, or trampled plantlife, or whatever. I have to agree with what he said, too.

Sure, many of us do our best not to screw up the areas where we cache - but unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the way with everyone. I've found trash directly next to a very active cache... I picked it up, and while walking to the trash with it, I was wondering "What is so hard about this? Carrying trash 40 or 50 feet to this can? People suck." icon_smile.gif

--== http://www.bigfoot.com/~rbatina ==--

quote:
Originally posted by headmj:

Do you hover in and out of the woods when you look for caches? If not, then your presence does affect the surroundings. Granted, it may be in the most teeny-tiny way - but yes, every person that looks for a cache does affect the area.

He wasn't specifically accusing you of being careless or purposely damaging the area - what I gathered from the post was that no matter where you are, there will never be a perfectly untouched area. It just isn't human nature to go into a place and be so careful as to leave no trace - whether litter, or trampled plantlife, or whatever. I have to agree with what he said, too.

Sure, many of us do our best not to screw up the areas where we cache - but unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the way with everyone. I've found trash directly next to a very active cache... I picked it up, and while walking to the trash with it, I was wondering "What is so hard about this? Carrying trash 40 or 50 feet to this can? People suck." icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by dteec:

I agree. What bothers me is when people, not necessarily you, care more about protecting the environment than protecting other people. Or, for that matter, when people put the "rights" of animals over people. I believe there's a balance that needs to be achieved.

Actually, I can understand those people... animals and the environment are generally 'innocent' parties. They can't defend themselves against abuse or what-have-you.

Also, with the way most people act and treat other people, I'm not really that concerned about protecting them against anything. I've worked in retail long enough to realize that more than half of the people that would come in and out of that place were pretty much just jerks. Let em worry about themselves. icon_smile.gif

quote:

Actually, I can understand those people... animals and the environment are generally 'innocent' parties. They can't defend themselves against abuse or what-have-you.

Also, with the way most people act and treat other people, I'm not really that concerned about protecting them against anything. I've worked in retail long enough to realize that more than half of the people that would come in and out of that place were pretty much just jerks. Let em worry about themselves. icon_smile.gif

As for dteec, I stand edited! You were very correct. I have since changed that quote!! As for headmj, you need to read a little deeper into my thinking like RUBBERTOE. Unless you are one of the many who are uneducated in the morals of the outdoors. Thats why I say teaching enviromental morals is important, from the start. And who's to say we were not dropped from spaceships!! Sometimes I wonder when I get replies such as yours!! All I want is a clean and simple life, but its so hard when you live with slobs. And the only ones to be offended by this would be slobs!! Seeker BP

quote:
Originally posted by Rubbertoe:

I'm referring to the extremists that equate the life of a wild animal with that of a human being. I think those types of people are beyond understanding or reason.

quote:
Originally posted by Rubbertoe:

Also, with the way most people act and treat other people, I'm not really that concerned about protecting them against anything. I've worked in retail long enough to realize that more than half of the people that would come in and out of that place were pretty much just jerks. Let em worry about themselves.

Attitudes like like are what perpetuates what you are complaining about. If over half of the people you deal with are jerks, does that mean you should be a jerk to them? If so, you have become one of them.

dteec

quote:

I'm referring to the extremists that equate the life of a wild animal with that of a human being. I think those types of people are beyond understanding or reason.

oic.

quote:
Attitudes like like are what perpetuates what you are complaining about. If over half of the people you deal with are jerks, does that mean you should be a jerk to them? If so, you have become one of them.

I didn't say I treated those people badly... in fact, it is quite the opposite. When I worked in that store I was nice to everyone - not knowing if they were jerks or "good" people. I did it because I don't wanna punish the small percentage of non-jerks because of the jerky people's actions. icon_smile.gif

That's what made it such a frustrating situation for me. icon_smile.gif

But back to the thread... that is why I don't worry about the humans as much as animals or nature. Most humans I've encountered, I'm happy to let them take care of themselves - and if they can't, then "oh well" to them. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:

oic.

quote:

I didn't say I treated those people badly... in fact, it is quite the opposite. When I worked in that store I was nice to everyone - not knowing if they were jerks or "good" people. I did it because I don't wanna punish the small percentage of non-jerks because of the jerky people's actions. icon_smile.gif

That's what made it such a frustrating situation for me. icon_smile.gif

But back to the thread... that is why I don't worry about the humans as much as animals or nature. Most humans I've encountered, I'm happy to let them take care of themselves - and if they can't, then "oh well" to them. icon_biggrin.gif