mileage listings of caches in your area

Guest kymike

Guest kymike

just wondering where the mileage that is posted with each cache description is derived from. Both caches that I have found have been quite a bit farther than what was listed.

Guest Ron Streeter

If you fly like a crow, you could go straight to the caches and the mileage would be quite accurate, but since you have to follow highways, sidewalks, paths, you put in some extra miles.

Guest Cape Cod Cache

Goes by a straight line from the zip codes post office. I tried it out today, PO is a mile away, a bit of trig ... Anyone know where I can find a pet crow and how well can I train it ? LOL

Guest wtmrn

Right, from the post office in a ripple/ concentric ring type thing. What I mean is there can be a whole bunch at 6 miles but not close or in opposite directions from each other. Therefore 12 miles apart or some fraction of that amount

Guest bunkerdave

I had opportunity to try this feature out quite well this past Saturday. I went to a cache in the West Desert of Utah, which is EXTREMELY barren. You can literally walk for 50 to 100 miles in a perfectly straight line and never deviate. The cache was in the middle of this kind of country, and was set at 40 N 113 W. Yes, EXACTLY. That is why it was there. Anyway, My Receiver read 3.06 miles to the cache when I stepped out of my car, and I watched and kept my bearing and heading in check. I went straight to it and straight back. Receiver read 6.12 miles traveled when I got back. Just thought that was interesting. I also thought it interesting to note that I walk at a speed between 3.2 and 3.7 mph. Faster than I thought. What a great tool.

Guest Anton

Crows are smart!

Glad Jeremy uses crows. They're the smartest birds around. They won't fly any unecessary mile, unless they see something dead lying in the road. Crows are also one of the most social birds, with extended families and organized "child care" provided by older siblings.

If you're not convinced about the superior intelligence of crows, consider that they've been caught taking fish from ice fishing rigs. They pull up the fishing line by dragging it away from the ice hole. Then they walk back down ON TOP of the line to the ice hole, and grab the fish without letting the line drop back into the water. Pretty smart for a bird!

If Jeremy used hawks, it would take way too long to get accurate mileage because hawks are lazy. They'd rather float around all day on thermals than flap out some mileage measurements for geocachers. They don't have the social structure to deal with a dispatcher. Crows can handle that easily. Want to see crows work in a group? Buy a crow call, and blow it when you see one. In a few minutes they sky will be full of them.

Jeremy got it right choosing crows. Stay away from those silly raptors. They're just a bunch of skybums! ;-)

Anton

------------------

Anton Ninno - N2RUD

Syracuse, NY 13210

[This message has been edited by Anton (edited 16 May 2001).]