No-find logged as a find

I have a cache...an ammo box hanging from a tree branch, because its in an area that frequently floods. You can see it easily from 50 or more yards away, but you can't reach it without a boat, or waders about 2-4 months out of the year.

This would be a no find in my book if someone tells me they saw the cache, but just couldn't reach it to log in.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

quote:
Originally posted by Moun10Bike:

quote:
Originally posted by fly46:

I want to know who aproved the cache being BURIED UNDER GROUND.

Please keep in mind that this cache was hidden in September of 2001, BEFORE THE GUIDELINES ABOUT BURIED CACHES WERE IN PLACE.

http://geocachingwa.org<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can see how some caches get grandfathered, but a buried cache sounds like it should be archived and removed. It's one thing to have a no-logbook micro, or a virt where a physical cache could've been placed, but burying just gives us a bad name. Tell a park manager who uses that as an example that it was approved before the current regs went into place -- would it cut any ice? National Park caches were summarily archived, not grandfathered, right?

(In this cache's case, it has now been archived, but it's also missing.)

quote:
Originally posted by Bender:

Who really cares? Is it hurting anyone? To each his own I say. If this guy feels good about telling a little fib in a game that does not matter one iota in the grand scheme of things, so what? It is not like we are going to win any big prizes for finding more than someone else, is it? People need to worry more about things that matter.

Bender

Searching, for the lost Xanadu

I agree. I understand why this gets under some peoples' skin but it's just not something I would spend time worrying about. People will be people. It's like cheating at solitaire. I refuse to let other peoples' behavior make me jaded and ruin the fun.

yeah, I might end up wasting my time looking for a cache that isn't there every now and then. But I can deal with that.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

"Never declare war on a man who buys his ink by the gallon."

[This message was edited by Jolly B Good on August 07, 2003 at 12:54 PM.]

quote:
It's like cheating at solitaire.

You cheat at solitare, no skin off my back. If you post a fake find for a missing cache, causing me to waste 2 hours out of my life looking for a cache that has been long gone, it matters to me.

Cheating at solitare effects nobody else, so cheat away. Fake finds are a whole 'nother story.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

quote:
It's like cheating at solitaire.

You cheat at solitare, no skin off my back. You post a fake find for a missing cache and I waste 2 hours out of my life looking for a cache that has been long gone, I'd be pretty pissed.

_"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry_

Understandable. I guess my stance is this -- I'd be wasting my time looking for a missing cache anyway. I mean it would be missing REGARDLESS if the guy before me logged a fake find. Right?

Most of the missing caches I've stumbled across were in fact logged as FINDS by the person before me. Tat's because I tend not to go looking for caches where the last peson to look for it logged a NO FIND.

All I'm saying is that particular issue isn't something I'd lose sleep over.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

"Never declare war on a man who buys his ink by the gallon."

quote:
Originally posted by Jolly B Good:

I mean it would be missing REGARDLESS if the guy before me logged a fake find. Right?

Most of the missing caches I've stumbled across were in fact logged as FINDS by the person before me. Tat's because I tend not to go looking for caches where the last peson to look for it logged a NO FIND.

But that's exactly the point. If you don't want to look for caches that the previous person couldn't find, then you hope the previous person doesn't lie (or omit a no-find.)

I'll look for a cache in any case, but the time I spend searching is influenced by the previous history of finds....

(But I'm not losing sleep.)

quote:
I'll look for a cache in any case, but the time I spend searching is influenced by the previous history of finds....

True. If there are a few not founds, then a find, I'll assume it is just a difficult cache to find and put some extra time into it. If that find is a fake, I'll be wasting my time.

And what about the cache owners who use find logs to influence their maintenance schedule? A fake find that tells the cache owner all is well, could send that cache to the bottom of his maintenance list, when cache may actually be in need of maintenance, or gone.

My point is that cheating at this game isn't harmless. It can and does effect others.

Myself, the wife, and THREE active kids visited one local cache site 5 times before giving up. we emailed the cache setter, no response, EXCEPT that the DNF log entry was deleted.

Then a couple of days later a little girl found it. We went back again (6th attempt) STILL NO FIND. I hung a GeoCan in the location with a NOTE stating the cache was apparently gone, and the area had been plowed up. The next weekanother cacher had logged the find, so we went back again, and he had FOUND and logged on my note.

I took my Geocan down, and went home..... Still haven't heard from the cache owner... I gave up on that one,the closest to my home, t looks at me everyday on my closest caches page, right at the top.... a 1/1

geocan.jpg

Trash-out, EVERYtime

~~

Geo-cach-er, n. generally a highy technically competent person with lots of free time. (see also- "Unemployed", Computer administrator, aircraft technician- defense worker- dot-com executive- systems administrator, et.al)

I recently logged a cache as a Find when it turned out that I didn't find it. I was faked out by another container that had a notebook in it. My posting about that cache being in poor shape brought about an exchange of emails from the cache owner. That's when I learned what container I was looking for.

I did return to the cache site and find the correct container. I posted that find as a Note, so that I could tell the story and keep my counts straight. Check it out in the

That Quack Cacher:

Lone Duck

When you don't know where you're going, every road will take you there.

quote:
I took my Geocan down, and went home..... Still haven't heard from the cache owner... I gave up on that one,the closest to my home, t looks at me everyday on my closest caches page, right at the top.... a 1/1

Might be time for an "archive this cache" log. But this is a good example of the effects of fake finds. Lone Duck, your story is a bit different. It was a mistake and you corrected it. The issue here are people who simply do not find a cache and log a "found it".