No-find logged as a find

Somebody just logged two no-finds as finds in my area, and it's really bugging me. One of them was on a very well-hidden cache that I found a couple of months ago after quite a bit of stubborn searching.

I'm posting this topic in the discussions to get other geocacher's opinion of this.

Not that I will, but what I would really like to do is post a note on the cache page directed at the unsuccessful cacher saying he ought to change his log to a -could not find-.

I suppose if I'm overreacting, this topic will soon fade away to page 5 in the forums, but the fact that I can't get this off my mind tells me I'm not.

Anyway, I'd appreciate everyone's opinion, whether you agree with me or not.

Thanks.

Some newbies feel that the time spent hunting earns a find, whether they actually found the container or not.

There is no prize for having a high number of finds. Log your own accurately, but don't sweat the few that cheat themselves. Email the individual cache owner your thoughts. If they agree, then it is up to them to contact the offending cacher.

Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness bandbass.gif

We're new to the sport but could not imagine logging a no-find as a find. It can be frustrating, granted, to not find a cache after investing time in the hunt, but you always learn something while caching and that is the important thing, and, on the no-finds, we have to give props to the hider for doing a good job...or, as the case may be, a good swift kick in the tuckus to ourselves for overlooking the obvious...:-)

The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field.---Matthew 13:44

Matt & Julia

To view our online geocaching diary/blog, click here

We've seen a couple of these recently in our area too - and ticks us off BIG TIME!

Because you were close you can claim a find? If were on one of our caches, we'd ask them to change it.

Nope - in our opinion - this isn't right! If we did this sort of thing we'd have a whole lot more finds! But to us, honestly counts!

"Geocaching expands your horizons - not your butt!"

I can't speak for the persons that logged no finds as finds in your case, but I have one of those that I feel is legitimate. There is a cache called "Horror Movie Fan" that is located inside a business. No mention of business hours on the cache page at all, and when I arrived at this coffee shop on a Sunday afternoon I found the doors locked.

The cache, however, was in sight. I actually could see the tupperware container, but couldn't get to it because the gates around the outdoor seating area were locked.

I felt that since I could see it, then I had found it, and had a reason to log a Find instead of a No Find even though I didn't actually lay my hands on it and sign the log book.

I was even hoping the owner would update the page with business hours so others wouldn't have to deal with locked gates, but no reply or anything.

----------------------------------------------------------------

"A noble spirit embiggins the smallest man." - Jebediah Springfield

----------------------------------------------------------------

we have a cache that has many people stumped in my area. Its just hidden very very well and it hasn't been found in 4 months. Me and another cacher decided to go hunt this cache down and were prevented from doing so because the first stage came up missing and this was confirmed by the cache owner. Then the next day some new cacher basically logged that he couldn't find the first stage but logged it as a find. This took the last found date down from "4 months ago" to "yesterday". Boy did that cook my grits. Some people just aren't aware of anything. I posted a note asking the poster to change it to a no find but so far he hasn't... grrr

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

The Department of Redundancy Department

A geocache a day keeps the debtors away (cause your never home to take the call...)

Heh, check THIS cache out, the final of this multi was plundered and not replaced for OVER A MONTH, and two people logged a find. I thought this bothered me, but it doesn't really, it's just sad.

If trees could scream, would we still cut them down?

Well, maybe if they screamed all the time, for no reason.

Click here for my Geocaching pictures and Here (newest)

[This message was edited by martmann on July 27, 2003 at 01:36 AM.]

There is a cache owner, not in Arizona where I live, who logs a find each time he/she posts a note to their own cache. Talk about cheesy....

Till a voice, as bad as Conscience, rang interminable changes

On one everlasting Whisper day and night repeated -- so:

"Something hidden. Go and find it. Go and look behind the Ranges --

"Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you. Go!"

Rudyard Kipling , The Explorer 1898

Some people are cheaters, plain and simple. They think that logging false finds is harmless, but some people will see the smiley face and head out in pursuit of a cache that isn't there, wasting their time.

It also gives the owner a false report about the state of his cache.

In this case, they stated in the log that they actually didn't find it, but sometimes people just scan the page for a recent find and don't go into the logs.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

I too don't understand why someone would purposely log a find when they didn't. Geocaching is like golf... you self police yourself... kind of an honor bestowed upon you.

Plus, I actually take a DNF as an additional challenge, assuming the cache exists.

If other people post a DNF as a found, I'd either point it out to them as it could be a mistake, but if it wasn't, it wouldn't bother me. Like cheating in golf, I'm not sure what it accomplishes... it's a personal goal you are trying to achieve and cheating does nothing for that.

Backing what BrianSnat said: I definately use previous finders logs as to know when the last time the cache was found, the condition, etc. So this is not just some loser's underachievement, it can really be a waste of another person's time. I don't get a chance to get out and cache much so this would be very annoying to me.

As to logging a find that I can't get to for whatever reason, I would log a note that I saw it and would come back at a time when conditions are better to grab it and sign the log. I was going to have to do this just yesterday because a fisherman was about five feet from a cache. I was standing about 10 inches from it and could see it sitting there. If the fisherman hadn't gone off to an area to where I could grab it unnoticed, I would have come back another day and logged a note on the site that I saw it but would come back later.

If someone logs a find on my cache and I don't find it in the physical logbook, guess what? I don't care what your excuse is, you get deleted.

Team Kender - "The Sun is coming up!" "No, the horizon is going down."

When several people logged NO-Finds on this cache, I Checked out the area, to also not find the cache. So I put a new cache out there, and Logged a note as a find, so as to get others to notice, and after a couple of finds, I changed the FOUND to a NOTE. This was to keep the cache from becomming archived. It is not my cache, but it was the first ever cache I found, when there were very few caches in SE Michigan. The cache's owner never answered his e-mail either.

The April 25, 2003 note that I left, was originally entered as a FIND, when I saw several NO-Finds, and a request for the caches Archiving.

HAS anybody done this to keep a cache from being archived, even if it was not yours ??

--------------------------------------------------

My Old posts as Geoffrey

My Current Post as GOT GPS?

My profile

My Home Page about what is GPS

I'm not too sure that these people are cheating. It appears as though there are some people who are just too ignorant to know the proper ways of logging a find and so lazy they will not read the "How to log a find" page.

Some people just are not smart enough to be able to follow the rules. IMHO

He of 2oldfarts

Smile, make others wonder what you're up to!!!

What I want to know is where are the cache owners in these cases? If someone logs a "Find" then clearly state in their log they didn't find it, on one of my caches, it's getting deleted. I'll be nice, and send them a copy of their log, saying they can repost it as a "Did Not Find" or "Note" but if they post it as a "Find" again, it'll get deleted again. For just the reasons others said, I don't want false logs on my caches, what if there really is a problem that I need to go address?

Nothing to see here, move along.

Right ON IV Warrior! It is the onwers duty to keep it clean.

I was cleaning out my cache printout clipboard this morning. I found a page for a cache that I was the first DNF post. A few days after my DNF it was 'found' by someone who got close but didn't want to traverse the fallen tree bridge to the island! After another DNF post the cache owner searched themselves and then archived the cache. It had obvoiusly washed away in the spring high water. icon_eek.gif

Today I saw that the found log is gone.

DavidL the golf analogy is a good one. But then again some people think a foot wedge is OK.

I don't get mad with either case, unless ther is money at stake. In the end you have to look at yourself in the mirror, not some other sneak. icon_razz.gif

Sorry for the ramble. I tried to markwell the older thread (yes Mooremonkeys it has been discussed), but search only gave me threads I have posted to this month! icon_confused.gif

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane

quote:
Heh, check THIS cache out, the final of this multi was plundered and not replaced for OVER A MONTH, and two people logged a find. I thought this bothered me, but it doesn't really, it's just sad.

I have my eye on one of those guys that posted a "Found" on that cache, martmann. I won't mention his name, but talk about un-ethical! Granted he is just a kid, but hasn't his parents taught him anything? I try hard to ignore him, but his name keeps popping up in logs. I've checked out his finds and they're almost allways 1/1 caches. I think he thinks there's going to be a prize for the most finds.

I know I should just ignore him, but it really DOES chap my hide!! He is the same guy that held on to my TB Ollie for entirely too long, forcing me to e-mail him about it. (he never responded.)

Well I think I've vented enough. I feel better now! icon_smile.gif

OG

Prophetically Challenged (or is that Pathetically?)

quote:
Originally posted by martmann:

Heh, check http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=a770d6a2-dbcd-4835-8af7-bd3088557256 cache out, the final of this multi was plundered and not replaced for OVER A MONTH, and two people logged a find.

I found it rather ironic that apparently three people teamed up, had the same experience... and two logged a find, while the third logged a not-found.

quote:
Originally posted by IV_Warrior:

What I want to know is where are the cache owners in these cases?

If I am not mistaken one of those caches was mine. In the case of mine the said finder e-mailed me about the cache. I approved the find. The cache was oringinally intented to be a virtual cache but was never approved. I ended up putting in a 35mm canister for the log book to please TPTB. There is nothing to trade in the canister. In fact I provided a photo of where the canister is.

Now the other cache in the area that was also logged as a find by that same person should be a no-find. If it were my cache I would have deleted the log.

-beatnik-

quote:

(First-time poster, so please be gentle with me. icon_smile.gif)

I did a 12-stage (mostly driving) multi and after a two-mile hike, searched for the final for about 45 minutes, to no avail. I took the lonely walk of shame and signed on to log it (as a NF, of course) and what did I find in the logs? Earlier that same day, another cacher wrote that he/she had found only the container and logbook, so took it for safekeeping/return to owner. The cacher posted a Found. Fine.

But how about leaving a friggin' business card or a page from the logbook which read, 'the cache used to be here, but it was plundered, so I removed it for safekeeping' or whatever?

Well, a week later, another cacher posted a Found on the cache, noting in the log that they received assistance from the above party.

Whuh?!?!

You found nothing, signed nothing, and got help and you logged a Found?!

I changed my DNF to a Note and a week or so later, the cache was archived by the owner.

Thanks for the ventspace.

-AndymanD

Sometimes, if it's a new geocacher, you give him the benefit of doubt. In this case, the person in question has over 120 finds (or does he?) and has been invloved with this sport for a year and a half.

This is a case of cheating, plain and simple.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

quote:
Originally posted by Tsegi Mike and Desert Viking:

There is a cache owner, not in Arizona where I live, who logs a find each time he/she posts a note to their own cache. Talk about cheesy....

Seems like TPTB could make it so you cannot log a find on your own cache.

Kenneth

If it's a physical cache and you didn't put your hands on it and sign the log--or otherwise satisfy the cache owner--then it's not a find. Simple as that.

Being a third party to a bogus log is hard. About the only thing to do is email either or both parties and hope for the best. If it's a case of a missing cache and missing owner with multi DNFs and SBAs then some joker comes along and posts a find, then you should shoot off an email to one of your local approvers. They'll take a closer look at the cache in question and are likely to archive it if they can't get a response from the owners.

You'll always have cheaters. It's something we all have to learn to live with.

CR

72057_2000.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Sissy-n-CR:

If it's a physical cache and you didn't put your hands on it and sign the log--or otherwise satisfy the cache owner--then it's not a find. Simple as that.

Usually, yes, but I really don't think it is as "simple as that" in all cases. For example, I don't think Mushtang was wrong to log his cache. He went there and he could clearly SEE the cache -- so he found it. The only reason he couldn't put his hands on it was because the cache owner had not properly noted that the place could be closed. Therefore, I think that, at least, was a valid "find."

So, I think there are valid exceptions -- but I think they are rare and certainly not what the people that started this thread were referring to (since those do seem completely invalid to me and should be "not found" logs).

- John...

quote:
Originally posted by Team Kender:

Backing what BrianSnat said: I definately use previous finders logs as to know when the last time the cache was found, the condition, etc.

I usually use watcher, and just glance at the list to see if there are finds or DNFs, as little yellow happy faces or purple sad faces. Most of the time I don't read all the previous logs on a cache, just look for recent finds.

I have also noticed people logging finds on their own caches, or multiple finds on a cache if they re-visit to pick up or drop off a bug. I guess if the numbers meant very much ot me I would be more concerned. As it is, I just think it is rather pathetic. Kind of like cheating at soletaire....

Dave_W6DPS

My two cents worth, refunds available on request. (US funds only)

Generally, if I don't sign the log, I don't log it as a find. There have been a couple of exceptions, such as finding a destroyed cache chomped to bits by a mower. I had pieces of the cache and shreads of the logbook, but nothing left to sign. I did claim that as a find. But in most cases, even if I could see the cache but couldn't get to it, I'd wait until I signed the log before logging a find.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:
Originally posted by Marky:

Generally, if I don't sign the log, I don't log it as a find.

I'll agree with that one. I think I'm one of the few locals who, when I look for something and don't find it, I POST it as a DNF.

Case in point, a recent micro cache. I tried to be "first finder" and went at lunchtime to the cache site, looked friutlessly, and posted it as such. A later person said they also went at lunch, but they found it. Third person also found it, but "looked in the un-disturbed areas." Hunh? I didn't tear up the place looking, and *MY* lunch break usually occurs between 1:30 & 2 pm. So, somebody looked for it after me but tore the place up. Guess who it now LOOKS like tore the place to shreds?

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

I had read this thread the other day and now I am wondering if I am making some of my log entries correct. I have went some caches recently and logged them as DNF. Then later made a return trip after learning new information from the logs and found the cache.

I then edit the log and change it to found leaving the note that it was my second attempt.

Normally I may just make a couple of trips if I am sure the cache is not MIA before I would log it as DNF.

Thanks,

Spange & Crew

quote:
Originally posted by Spange & Crew:

I had read this thread the other day and now I am wondering if I am making some of my log entries correct. I have went some caches recently and logged them as DNF. Then later made a return trip after learning new information from the logs and found the cache.

I then edit the log and change it to found leaving the note that it was my second attempt.

Normally I may just make a couple of trips if I am sure the cache is not MIA before I would log it as DNF.

I was wondering about that too, but have just gone with logging the DNF and when later visiting logging the find (if I found it) as a seperate, new entry. That way I can remember which ones skunked me.

quote:
Originally posted by joefrog:

quote:
Originally posted by Marky:

Generally, if I don't sign the log, I don't log it as a find.

I'll agree with that one. I think I'm one of the few locals who, when I look for something and don't find it, I POST it as a DNF. Otherwise, if I'm not going to give up on the search, I don't post a note or DNF. I consider time to mull over the locations as part of the ongoing hunt.

Case in point, a recent micro cache. I tried to be "first finder" and went at lunchtime to the cache site, looked friutlessly, and posted it as such. A later person said they also went at lunch, but they found it. Third person also found it, but "looked in the un-disturbed areas." Hunh? I didn't tear up the place looking, and *MY* lunch break usually occurs between 1:30 & 2 pm. So, somebody looked for it after me but tore the place up. Guess who it now LOOKS like tore the place to shreds?

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

Even though the system auto-adds the date when you found the cache, I also make it a practice to put the date and time when I sign the log and when I post my log on the web.

I'll post a DNF if I don't know when I'm going to get back to looking for the cache, but once I do, I edit it and turn it into a Find, but leave the original edits in place so the entire history is there in reverse order. I won't post a DNF or note that I couldn't find it unless I absolutely give up on the cache. I consider the time mulling over the location as part of the hunt... even if I go back several times to search.

Cheers!

TL

Here's a DOOSIE!! I was planning a trip to this area yesterday, and came by this one. If you read the logs from earliest to latest, you'll notice something funny happened last year in late July/early August.

There is no note from the owner whatsoever? The owner has almost no finds, (can't remember exact find count.)

Did I do the right thing? LOL I may have opened a can of "forum worms"!!!

OG

quote:
Here's a DOOSIE!! I was planning a trip to this area yesterday, and came by this one. If you read the logs from earliest to latest, you'll notice something funny happened last year in late July/early August.

Looks like it went missing and was converted to a virtual, but until it was, an awful lot of people logged fake finds.

This reminds me of a cache I read about a while ago. It was a jar whose lid was screwed to the bottom of a board. The jar disappeared, so people just started logging the lid as a find. Then the lid disappeared and people were logging the screw holes as a find. Yes, screw holes! icon_rolleyes.gif

quote:
The jar disappeared, so people just started logging the lid as a find. Then the lid disappeared and people were logging the screw holes as a find. Yes, screw holes!
You owe me a new keyboard, because I just spewed Diet Coke out my nose all over the old one.

QUOTE: "Here's a DOOSIE!!..."--Og's Outfit

================================================

A rose is a rose, and by any other name, it's still a rose.

That is really a doosie!

==============="If it feels good...do it"================

**(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it.")**

quote:

There is no note from the owner whatsoever? The owner has almost no finds, (can't remember exact find count.)

Hmm.. I've always spelled it Doozie which rhymes with floozie. The amazing thing about these logs is that some of those cachers have hundreds of finds. MAkes you wonder how many other quasi founds are in their count. icon_rolleyes.gif

But then again it's not about the numbers is it. icon_wink.gif

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane

If we don't sign the log book, we don't count it as a find. Simple as that. The only question is whether we post it as a DNF or just post a note. Different circumstances, different types of logs.

There was one time we didn't sign the log. We found the cache. It was an ammo box. We opened it up and..........someone had taken a big fat dump in it. We promptly closed it back up and signed the OUTSIDE of the ammo box with a sharpie marker. Came home and let the cache owner know about the mess. It was fixed right away. This is the only time I can think of when we have counted a find without actually signing the logbook.

quote:
There was one time we didn't sign the log. We found the cache. It was an ammo box. We opened it up and..........someone had taken a big fat dump in it. We promptly closed it back up and signed the OUTSIDE of the ammo box with a sharpie marker. Came home and let the cache owner know about the mess. It was fixed right away. This is the only time I can think of when we have counted a find without actually signing the logbook.

EWWWWW! EWWWW! GROSS!!!

OG

Post a log directed to the geocacher?

NO.

Email them and instruct them to change it to a NF?

Yes.

You havent yet named them here, and unless I wanna hunt it down, wont know who they are. Putting it public on the logs probably isnt needed. Yet. If they refuse, well then you be justified to name them and even delete the "find"

william

alt.gif

quote:
Originally posted by martmann:

Concerning the above, the logs have been deleted, I assume by the cache owner.

I fail to understand why people have a problem logging a 'couldn't find it' when the didn't. I am certainly not impressed, I don't think too many cachers are.

I always wonder about somebody who logs a find, saying 'this is my 3rd attempt trying to find this cache...' and you look at the entire log, and they never posted a 'couldn't find it'.

I keep my 'couldn't find it' count right in my profile (for all to see). Not finding a cache now and then is part of geocaching (hopefully a small part) I see no reason to hide them.

If trees could scream, would we still cut them down?

Well, maybe if they screamed all the time, for no reason.

Click here for my Geocaching pictures and Here (newest)

Who really cares? Is it hurting anyone? To each his own I say. If this guy feels good about telling a little fib in a game that does not matter one iota in the grand scheme of things, so what? It is not like we are going to win any big prizes for finding more than someone else, is it? People need to worry more about things that matter.

Bender

Searching, for the lost Xanadu

quote:
Originally posted by Bender:

Who really cares? Is it hurting anyone? To each his own I say. If this guy feels good about telling a little fib in a game that does not matter one iota in the grand scheme of things, so what? It is not like we are going to win any big prizes for finding more than someone else, is it? People need to worry more about things that matter.

As mentioned at the beginning of the thread, yeah, it can cause problems. If a cache is missing but people are logging it as a find the cache owner isn't going to have any idea about it. Not until someone does log a DNF or the owner happens to check on the cache personally. So those of us who do look at all the smileys to make sure a cache is there before we waste several hours of valuable time looking for it are getting screwed by that sort of behavior.

I don't have a lot of time to make it outdoors to Geocache, so spending time on what turns out to be a Snipe hunt is indeed annoying

quote:
Who really cares? Is it hurting anyone?

Many of us do, because, as Team Kender says, it could result in our wasting valuable time looking for something that isn't there.

I would say for the most part that if I don't sign the log, I'm not logging it either... I do agree with the 'closed business clause' though... I'm going to go caching on vacation, and if I can see a cache in a closed business, that I wasn't informed was closed, I'll log it as a find because I won't be able to go back. (I'll be caching in athens georgia, but I'll only be there for two days)

whoever relieved themself in that one cache should be shot. that's repulsive... What is wrong with people today???

quote:
Originally posted by fly46:

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=7697

_"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry_

I want to know who aproved the cache being BURIED UNDER GROUND.

Hmmm...looked back through the thread to find where the quote came from, but found none.

I checked out this cache and requested it be archived.

Here is my archive note:

Cache has not been found since February 15, 2002. Three failed attempts and no follow-up by cache owner. Cache owner not logged into gc.com since June 12th.

And lastly...the cache is buried underground.

Kenneth

quote:
Originally posted by fly46:

I'm going to go caching on vacation, and if I can see a cache in a closed business, that I wasn't informed was closed, I'll log it as a find because I won't be able to go back. (I'll be caching in athens georgia, but I'll only be there for two days)

A no find is a no find. If you see a cache and cant get to it, it shouldnt be logged as a find. In this example, the cache wasnt even touched. This example is no different than seeing an urban micro cache, but not being able to log it because too many people are around. Thats part of the challenge, I would log it as not found.

Because you wont be back is no reason to log it as a find.

If you saw a $100 bill in a sewer, and couldnt reach it or otherwise retrieve it, you couldnt claim it or spend it. Same concept.