Calibrating for a hunt.

We're all aware that the cache owner's GPS variation along with the hunter's GPS variation can result in the most careful coordinate averaging to still be many feet off. It's been an observation of mine that on an offset cache, once I've found one station and noted the error, it pretty much holds true for the next stations. Yesterday I almost gave up finding one until I went back to a found station and noted that ground zero was 35 feet off to the SE. I walked back to the next station and using that error, I found it and sure enough, I was showing that I was 32 feet to the NW. So, my point is that I am thinking about posting the coordinate of some landmark in the parking lot or wherever on my hides so the hunters can determine the error for that day and time. What do you think?

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin

quote:
Originally posted by sbukosky:

We're all aware that the cache owner's GPS variation along with the hunter's GPS variation can result in the most careful coordinate averaging to still be many feet off. It's been an observation of mine that on an offset cache, once I've found one station and noted the error, it pretty much holds true for the next stations. Yesterday I almost gave up finding one until I went back to a found station and noted that ground zero was 35 feet off to the SE. I walked back to the next station and using that error, I found it and sure enough, I was showing that I was 32 feet to the NW. So, my point is that I am thinking about posting the coordinate of some landmark in the parking lot or wherever on my hides so the hunters can determine the error for that day and time. What do you think?

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin

Whatever. If coordinates are too precise, then there's no need for the hunt.

quote:
So, my point is that I am thinking about posting the coordinate of some landmark in the parking lot or wherever on my hides so the hunters can determine the error for that day and time. What do you think?

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin

I think tht's an excellent idea! Any smug geocachers that believe that takes away from the 'hunt' can leave their GPSr at home if they want a real challenge.

MajBach

You can't have everything.

where would you put it?

1compass.gif

quote:
Originally posted by MajBach:

I think tht's an excellent idea! Any smug geocachers that believe that takes away from the 'hunt' can leave their GPSr at home if they want a real challenge.

You're right! Some folk need all the help they can get, and then some, in order to find a cache.

icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by MajBach:

You're right! Some folk need all the help they can get, and then some, in order to find a cache.

icon_wink.gif