Geocaching Coincidences

RocketMan

I am amazed at the coincidences that seem to occur with geocaching; like when I place a travel bug in a cache 100 miles from home and it ends up in one of my local caches. This kind of thing seems to happen often, but the most recent coincidence blows me away.

I picked up Benny #2 in the Bodie Cache which is about 450 miles north of where I live in San Diego, California. I placed benny #2 in one of our local caches. I placed my travel bug Cache Me if You Can in another local cache. Cache Me if You Can was put in the Colorado Animal Cache on December 29th. Coincidentally, benny #2 was placed in that same cache today.

The travel bugs ended up in the same cache 1200 miles away from San Diego and no geocacher touched both travel bugs.

What are your geocaching coincidences?

RM

I was trying to figure out one of Hotfoot's devious Livermore caches and was having a tough time when Hotfoot appears out of nowhere (actually, I was near the post office and he needed to mail something). He helped me to see the error of my ways and I eventually found the cache. icon_smile.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

I'm hunting for a new traditional cache placed by a new cacher in the area called "Little Hawaii". It's a small park with some landscaping and 3 or 4 benches. The I searched some near by benches and found this taped underneath the bench..

444719_200.jpg

Well, I thought I had just found the first stage to a multi. So I was able to find the area described and searched for the 'key'. I searched for about 1/2 an hour then gave up.

I then logged a note on the cache page that the cache should be changed from a traditional to a multi cache and that I'd be back to try the second stage later.

Well, guess what. That 3x5 card had nothing to do with the cache. And to this day, we have no idea what it was for or how long it had been there.

The real cache was about 30 ft away.

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

I live in Dublin CA and have cousins in Bismarck ND. I wanted to place a cache in a little-known canyon trail by my house, with a Travel Bug in it with a goal of getting to Bismarck. While gathering booty and awaiting TB tags for my first cache and travel bug, another cacher (a)placed a cache at the end of the canyon, and (:P put a travel bug in it that is supposed to go to (you guessed it) Bismarck, ND.

Also.... since that cache was placed there, I didn't place MINE in the canyon. I eventually released the travel bug, and it wandered around the SF Bay area for a while, and had a brief stay in the canyon cache right by my house.

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

I'm hunting for a new traditional cache placed by a new cacher in the area called "Little Hawaii". It's a small park with some landscaping and 3 or 4 benches. The I searched some near by benches and found this taped underneath the bench..

http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/log/444719_200.jpg

Well, I thought I had just found the first stage to a multi. So I was able to find the area described and searched for the 'key'. I searched for about 1/2 an hour then gave up.

I then logged a note on the cache page that the cache should be changed from a traditional to a multi cache and that I'd be back to try the second stage later.

Well, guess what. That 3x5 card had nothing to do with the cache. And to this day, we have no idea what it was for or how long it had been there.

The real cache was about 30 ft away.

george

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/39570_500.jpg

Sounds like you found part of a Letterbox.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

A coworker of mine took a trip to NJ and released a bug of his in a cache there with the goal of getting back to my Travel Bug Depot here in Missoula, MT.

You can read the details in the bugs logs, but the gist is that someone picked it up and took it to Florida.

Then someone else picked it up. While they had it, I got word that I needed to take a business trip to Valdosta, GA. A couple days later, the person who picked it up in Florida, dropped it in the one and only cache in Valdosta, where it sat for two weeks without getting picked up by anyone until I arrived, grabbed it, and brought it back to the cache it was trying to reach.

I just about passed out when I saw the bug appear in that cache in Valdosta.

---------------------------------------

"We never seek things for themselves -- what we seek is the very seeking of things."

Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)

---------------------------------------

I was posting a find on a cache I had visited with my cousin and his son. I saw a find posted the same day and had to look at the profile. He said he found it with his 7 year old son and he was a land surveyor. I thought my cousin just changed his screen name. Nope. 2 different land surveyors, 2 different seven year old sons, same cache, same day.

Later my cousin happened to be at the county surveyors office (the same one where he used to work) and after being asked what he was doing lately, mentioned geocaching..... to the other guy!

"I can't find the longitude for the North Pole"

I got my GPS and immediately went to look for the closest cache (about a mile from my house). I signed the log book with my full name. Several months later I received an e-mail from the cache owner asking if I was related to X & Y (not their real names). Well X is my father and Y is my brother.

Turns out that the cache owner was a retired cop who served on the police force in my hometown (which is about 30 miles from where I now live) along with my dad and brother.

I mentioned the cache owner's name to my dad, who said "Yeah, I know him well. Nice guy". I later met the cache owner at a geocaching picnic and my dad was right.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" - Abraham Lincoln

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on January 06, 2003 at 03:26 AM.]

I hid a cache of which the rules are when you find the cache, you move it to new coordinates and then leave a micro-container with the new coordinates in it. So, every time someone finds the cache, it gets More Multi.

Anyway, someone moved the cache once, so I had to go check out the new location. While looking for the cache I found another, as of yet unposted, Geocache hidden 30 feet from the new hide.

The person who hid the cache there had no idea the unposted cache was there, and the people who hid the unposted cache there forgot where they hid it!

Pan

Cachito ergo sum. I Geocache, therefore I am.

George-

I think what you found may be part of some type of scavanger hunt- is there a good-sized college around? I know that sometimes sororities (maybe fraternities?) will do that to prospective members- I once found a note to the same effect when I was working at my college's library, after I saw several girls rummaging thru the same shelf of books...

I don't know if it would be considered a coincidence, but we dropped off a travel bug (with a toy Jeep attached) that we have dubbed 'Jeepster' in the Traverce City bug hotel while on vacation. The next day the TB is picked up, then the day after that the geocacher called Jeepster (from Illinois!) stopped by the same cache. Too bad he wasn't a day earlier!

I walk the Maze of Moments, but everywhere I turn to, begins a new beginning, but never finds a finish... -Enya, Anywhere Is

quote:
Originally posted by Squirrel Nut:

George-

I think what you found may be part of some type of scavanger hunt- is there a good-sized college around?

It's a small town, but one hypothesis I had was that it was part of a savanger hunt for a town festival. The central valley has many small farm towns and each is known for it's 'crop' each have an annual festival. Annually, in my town, there is a treasure hunt. I figure this must have been part of that local town's treasure hunt or whatever. But I have no proof.

Considering hold old the tape was, it had been stuck there quite a long time.

george

39570_500.jpg

Timp and I had a TB race. My Texas Spoon TB was trying to get from Texas to England before Timp's Brittania Bear Racing Bug made from England to Texas. The winner? Curly Tiger's Tiger, which made it from Texas to England and into one of Timp's caches, when it wasn't even trying to. (The Texas Spoon finally did get to England. It's now trying to get back to Texas before Brittania Bear.)

ntga_button.gifweb-lingbutton.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Pantalaimon:

Anyway, someone moved the cache once, so I had to go check out the new location. While looking for the cache I found another, as of yet unposted, Geocache hidden 30 feet from the new hide.

The person who hid the cache there had no idea the unposted cache was there, and the people who hid the unposted cache there forgot where they hid it!

This reminded me of another coincidence that I experienced. I placed this cache in September and the first person to enter a log said: “This is the near a previous cache that used to be in the same area.” I later figured out which cache he was talking about and it turned out there was a cache (now archived) that was only about 40 feet from where I placed my cache. I had no idea that the other cache existed.

RM

I went to find a cache with my sister and my niece. We got to the cache and it was the same cache my roomate had dropped a travel bug into a month earlier. The weird thing about it? The cache was 250 miles from home and I had no idea when I went to it, that it was the cache he had told me he finally dropped his travel bug into. Small world indeed.

elifish

A cache which hadn't been found in weeks (months?) was located by both us and another cache team at the same time. We cast suspicious glances at each other for a while, introduced ourselves about halfway through the multi, and ended up teaming together to find it. Good thing, too... we had a paper printout of the cache with a hint to look near a stump. As it turns out, the owner re-hid the cache and changed the coordinates & hint (now it's near a rock)! Made for some weird conversations with the other caching team, till we figured out that we were reading paper notes from the cache's "past life" in a different location.

We would have beat ourselves to death looking for a cache that no longer existed in that spot, had the other team not showed up with updated coordinates and hint! As a neat side note, the other team was the owner of the very first cache our team ever found...

I was in New York visiting the friend who got me into geocaching and he showed me his new camel travel bug that had a goal of seeing every desert in the world.

Much time passed, and finally he emailed me that his beloved bug had gone MIA. It had been several months so he wrote it off as a loss.

A couple months after THAT... I was checking caches in the area with travel bugs and guess what turned up? His lost travel bug! Only 12 miles from my house in Michigan and with NO assistance from me. icon_smile.gif

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Saving geocaches - one golf ball at a time.

migo_sig_logo.jpg