Why would a PDA help me Geocaching????

My Garmin Legend, cheap Sony SJ20 (i think?) Palm Pilot and my Geocaching.com Premium membership are the ultimate caching setup. Here's why:

1) I use the Pocket Query feature of the premium membership to have the nearest 500 caches to my location (either local or wherever i might be traveling to) sent to me in a nice neat package...a .gpx file.

2) I then toss that file into GPXSpinner (freeware), which outputs nice little html files for all of the cache pages included in that .gpx file.

3) I toss the same file into EasyGPS which then connects to my Legend and downloads all of the waypoints into the GPS.

4) I then use Plucker (again, no cost there) to import the files into my palm pilot. Usually the html files hit around 1.5 megs, so make sure that your palm has enough free space to handle it. My 8 meg Sony B&W palm has plenty of space, is small, and cheap enough so that if it were to get ruined while caching, i wouldn't care all that much.

So then off I go. My GF and I like to just head off towards some city, stop, pull out the GPS, have it search for the nearest caches, pull the nearest ones up on the Palm to see which ones look like fun, and head out. Therein lies the best part...you don't have to pre-plan your caching and no stacks of paper to lose track of.

brian (eightbit)

i have an sony sj20 and i find the screen too small to really get all the info i need for the cache. what i really want is a laptop connected to my cellphone where i can surf the web anywhere i can get a digital signal. that way i wouldn't have to store any data at all. i would have up to date access to geocaching.com website on the road and the screen has all the info i want to see. i don't find my pda useful for caching, i want a pc for wireless pc for caching.

Creativity Within The Bounds Of Conformity

I have been using a palm 515 with GPS companion. First I use it for mapping to get me where I'm going. I also keep updated pages for all caches within 500 mile. Ok I'm a little addicted. Before the palm I would print out the 300 closes caches to keep on hand with occasional updates. Now I get the pages sent to me every day and save on a lot of printing.

I rarely use it to find a cache as it is not a rugged as my 315 but sometimes the better antenna makes it a better choise.

Team Sand Dollar

I wondered the same thing when I first started and heard people using them. I happened to fall into my pocket pc. It was my wife's and she really couldn't use it for what she wanted to. With the pocket pc, you only need one program (gpxview) and it's free. Just as eightbit mentioned above, I download the query as a gpx file. It will go into both the gps and the pocket pc that way. Once in the pocket pc, then I can view the cache pages just like on the website. Except they tend to only show a few of the logs. I also purchased a program online for $25 called pocket maps. It allows you to download maps of metro areas. In the gpxview program, you can export to the map program and when you bring up a map and you have caches downloaded for that area, then they will show up on the map. It worked great this past weekend at an event cache in CT. We could tell where the caches were laying in relativeness to each other.

The pda setup is good to have when going after multiple caches or when you want to cache on the fly. I think it more than justifies of printing out many pages of the cache pages and then carrying them with you. But it depends on the style of caching you are doing. Whether you are a hit and miss type of cacher or mega cacher. We started out as a hit and miss, doing a cache a day or whatever. Now when we go it's at least 3 and at the event we did 11. The other afternoon it was 6. If a new one pops up locally, we will just do it by punching in the coordinates and going if we have a chance of finding it first.

Brian

As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump

Since nobody has mentioned it, Hint Decoder for the Palm allows you to simply copy and paste the hint and instantly decrypts it.

Since I don't use 'em unless I need 'em, it's really handy.

Owning an Amiga, I don't use any of the above software. I spit out cache pages from my web browser into Memo's, then import them into ThinkDB on my Palm. I use a PD program to upload the ones I want from my Palm to GPS, and use QuoVadis for mapping (again Palm-GPS cable). Keeping my own database has come in handy on multiple occassions, the most recent of which was to know how long a round trip to an island took to budget against the tide. I did it last November, but at the event I ran last weekend, was able to figure safe margins for all the attendees easily.

(I also generate logs notes onsight, so when I get back and log online, I don't forget anything.)

Hope this helps,

Randy

PS: Rechargable NiMH batteries all the way and a PDA w/card slot you can back up to without syncing to PC.

As others have mentioned, the main use I get from my PDA (a Toshiba e335 PocketPC) is for storing cache pages so I don't have to print them out. I generate pocket queries, then process them in Spinner (freeware) and upload the HTML files to my PDA for viewing. No need to decode the hints unless you need them. I can also upload the Spinner-processed gpx file directly into my GPSr with ExpertGPS. Works well for what my needs are.

The drawback is so many gadgets to carry! GPSr, PDA, digital camera...

I use an ancient Handspring Visor with 8MB. It's quite enough to hold my PQ files, plus the custom ones I generate by using Watcher to filter out all the caches I don't want to do.

(That usually means taking all my PQ GPX files, merging them in Watcher, filtering out all the micro/locationless/webcam/virtual/etc caches, sorting by distance from my weekend base of operations, and saving a new GPX to upload to my GPS receiver and turn into a palmdoc for my PDA. It's great.)

[[[ ClayJar Networks ]]]

Home of Watcher downloads, Official Geocaching Chat, and the Geocache Rating System

After reading this last night I went down and looked at several PDA's the store people assured me that I could do this and that with each one of them when I told them I wanted to down load maps they wanted to sell me some map software. one was $19.95 the other was $39.00. The price range was interesting so I am still confused as to which one to buy.

icon_cool.gif One hides a thing too close for the person seeking it to find. icon_confused.gif

You are going to need some map software for that I'm sure. For the pocket pc, I bought pocket streets online for like $25. The only thing is that the maps you can download are basically street maps for the larger metro areas. So if you are going away from an area like that, then this program won't help you. I looked at that Dale Priests website some and they mention some topo software, but it's a bit pricy.What would be neat if you could hook up the pocket pc to expertgps and download maps to the pocket pc.

Brian

If I were make a choice between mapping software for my PDA and my GPS, I'd choose the GPS. After all, it IS where your GPS is outputting it's own position, right?

Granted, if you want to feel like you're cheating, do what I do. I've got a laptop with MicroSoft's Streets and Trips. I Spinner my file and upload to the laptop. When in the car, the GPS is hooked to the laptop. My better half can then tell where we are and what turn to take next, the name of the street, etc. etc. Remember the movie Twister? The guy with all of the maps would tell the convoy where to turn, etc. If he had our setup, he'd need a lot fewer paper maps!

The major advantage of a PDA is basically you have a snapshot of GC.com in your pocket with the equivilent number of caches that would take a ream of paper or better to print out. You'd be much less likely to forget the printout of an offset cache on a 2 mile hike (one way) and think it a traditional!

Ours is a M105 we found on closeout.

CR

72057_2000.gif

quote:
The major advantage of a PDA is basically you have a snapshot of GC.com in your pocket with the equivilent number of caches that would take a ream of paper or better to print out.

I haven't yet figured out why anyone would want or need "a snapshot of GC.com in their pocket" when they only intend to snag a few caches. (Yeah, I know the answer is "wherever I end up, I can find a cache." So how come I never see cache logs stating something like that?)

Also, I think it's probably easier and more environmentally friendly to recycle that "ream of paper" than a load of fragile PDAs that got busted up geocaching. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

I haven't yet figured out __why__ anyone would want or need "a snapshot of GC.com in their pocket" when they only intend to snag a few caches. (Yeah, I know the answer is "wherever I end up, I can find a cache." So how come I never see cache logs stating something like that?)

Also, I think it's probably easier and more environmentally friendly to recycle that "ream of paper" than a load of fragile PDAs that got busted up geocaching. icon_wink.gif

When I cache I don't always plan out all of my route ahead of time. So it nice to have all the printout available to me in a non paper form. So when I end up going a little further than I originally plan I have pages for those caches also.

This was really useful when I went to Florida and all the caches in the area where new to me. It's better than printing out the 500 or so closest caches plus I always have updated sheets, not ones that are old and may longer be available or right.

Team Sand Dollar

I have to admit, I was skeptical of the PDA thing in the beginning. But now that I've done it, I find it easier.

Time: I can fit the pages of 500 caches in my pocket pc. It takes all of 2-3 minutes at the most to get them there. How long would it take for me to print up 500 cache pages?

Cost: Depending on how much you pay for a PDA will will the argument on cost. My printer cartridges are $30 + each. After about 5 or 6 cartridges, I could of bought a decent PDA. Not to mention the cost of the paper.

Storage: My pocket pc is small and lightweight. I can literally stick it in my pocket and have the pages of 500 caches there. Try getting the printed pages of 500 caches in your pocket! I've seen where some print them up and put in a notebook. But, things change on them sometimes. Maybe updated coordinates or archived caches. Or new information in a recent log. When I download the pocket queries each week or whenever necessary, then I get newer information.

Your right, if you are doing only a cache at a time, then it may better to stick to the paper thing. I know for a fact though, that at the event last weekend, that it came in handy. Another thing for the tree huggers out there is that it doesn't end up left behind. I've seen logs online where people stated that they found geolitter (printed maps/cache pages/etc) on the way to a cache.

As far as the camo thing. That's a good idea. Just like the cell phone cases they make, they should make them for the PDA's.

Brian

quote:

I haven't yet figured out __why__ anyone would want or need "a snapshot of GC.com in their pocket" when they only intend to snag a few caches.

That would be like saying why does anyone need a $200-300 GPSr (with maps and all) when they are only going to snag a few caches. Or even a cable to download the pocket queries...you really don't need those either. They could easily get a yellow etrex or geko 101 for $100 and do it. Or even better, go buy a compass that's way cheaper. You really don't need a GPS to do it. Waldenrun has proven that.

Brian

quote:
Originally posted by Woodsters Outdoors:

That would be like saying __why__ does anyone need a $200-300 GPSr (with maps and all) when they are only going to snag a few caches.

No, it's not. A gps is fundamental to geocaching. A PDA, pocket queries, or software add-ons are not. Incidentally, many of us have been using gps long before we learned of geocaching.

Yes, people like Waldenrun and Webling have proven that a gps is not an absolute requirement ... I've done a few sans gps myself; but you haven't proven anything. How about, for a change, you write about things you have experienced personally?

quote:

... I've done a few sans gps myself; but _you_ haven't proven anything. How about, for a change, you write about things you have experienced _personally_?

Wow, that's kind of confrontational and/or jerky in tone. We're trying to make the point that, yes, a PDA can be useful to geocaching. If you don't have one, you don't really need one...but they sure are nice for people who cache in the way that I cache.

Just as you've been using your GPS for ages before geocaching, i've been using my palm for ages before geocaching. Why not marry the two? It works for me (and apparently others around here as well).

brian (eightbit)

If I remember correctly, the title was "Why would a PDA help me Geocaching????"...hold on.... yep still is...

On the point of me talk about something I've experienced. Let's see, I've cached with and without a PDA...yep I know what i'm talking about.

Ok...lets get this straight...first you say a GPS is fundamental....then you say that Waldenrun and Webling have proven it's not needed....So the second statement negates the first, correct?

If you want to say a GPS is fundamental, then so is a cache page, right? A cache page in my possession whether paper or plastic, doesn't make a difference. It's just the wayit's delivered you don't like...

No one said you had to have one...We all said they are nice to have and answered the question of how one would help, not how is one not helpful or how we don't like them.

Brian

Just because you've "experienced" something doesn't mean you know what you're talking about.

I've played with RC cars before and I've watched BattleBots on TV. Does that mean I would know what I was talking about if someone asked me how to build one? Just trying it once or seeing it on TV says no. It's my Bachelor's of Science in Electronics degree that says yes.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness bandbass.gif

quote:

On the point of me talk about something I've experienced. Let's see, I've cached with and without a PDA...yep I know what i'm talking about.

You were talking about people who have found caches without the assistance of a gps receiver. If that is not the way you find caches, then you do not have the experience, and the gps is the fundamental tool for the geocaching you do.

quote:
Ok...lets get this straight...first you say a GPS is fundamental....

Read the description of the sport as provided by this website. Is that clear enough for you?

quote:
then you say that Waldenrun and Webling have proven it's not needed....So the second statement negates the first, correct?

In the case of Waldenrun, Webling and others with excellent map reading and orienteering skills, yes. In your case, absolutely not.

quote:
If you want to say a GPS is fundamental, then so is a cache page, right?

No. Only the coordinates are essential. Nothing else.

quote:

You were talking about people who have found caches without the assistance of a gps receiver. If that is not the way you find caches, then you do not have the experience, and the gps is _the_ fundamental tool for the geocaching you do.

And so is my PDA now...I don't even look at cache pages barely anymore before going out. I ussually decide on an area and pull up the nearest cache on the gps and then look up the info on it on the pda. Don't have the cache page with except on the pda...

quote:
Read the description of the sport as provided by this website. Is that clear enough for you?

In the case of Waldenrun, Webling and others with excellent map reading and orienteering skills, yes. In your case, absolutely not.

still negated...and by the way...you don't know me, my training and my capabilities...

quote:

No. Only the coordinates are essential. Nothing else.

So why doesn't the site just list coordinates and say here you go. Do you not look at the description/history of the cache or the logs?

Brian

quote:

Time: I can fit the pages of 500 caches in my pocket pc. It takes all of 2-3 minutes at the most to get them there. How long would it take for me to print up 500 cache pages?

I have never tried to do 500 caches in one outing. Have you?

quote:
Cost:Depending on how much you pay for a PDA will will the argument on cost.

Storage: My pocket pc is small and lightweight. I can literally stick it in my pocket and have the pages of 500 caches there. Try getting the printed pages of 500 caches in your pocket!

I can climb over, under, or through the most challenging terrain or the tightest spaces with a cache page in my back pocket without concern. Probably would have squished my PDA two hundred times by now. Could buy several new network server for that amount.

quote:
So why doesn't the site just list coordinates and say here you go.

Could you please point me to the rule or guideline that requires cache owners to supply anything more than just the coordinates?

[This message was edited by BassoonPilot on August 29, 2003 at 02:12 PM.]

quote:

I have never tried to do 500 caches in one outing. Have you?

No, but I don't have to limit myself to only the caches of the pages in which I brought along...It also saves me time on having to print them out...

quote:

I can climb over, under, or through the most challenging terrain or the tightest spaces with a cache page in my back pocket without concern. Probably would have squished my PDA two hundred times by now. Could buy a new network server for that amount.

I wouldn't put it in my back pocket...actually I carry it in a case in my pack...but I have placed it in my front pocket for the short stints that I didn't take the pack...I can and have left it in my vehicle locked up. I don't necessarily need it at the cache site. Depends on the cache. I can look at the info on the cache in my car and decide then if there is info I may need to look at again, then I can. If I were going through some of the things that you mentioned. I would of squished the GPS probably as well.

Brian

quote:

Out of curiosity, in what way do you cache that anybody else doesn't?

I've mentioned it before, but would be happy to reiterate it: I enjoy driving to a location, stopping, and seeing what caches are nearby. In caching this way, i do not need to know ahead of time where i'll be going (within the area of the 500 caches on my PDA) and can pick up a couple of caches in the area. This style of caching certainly seems different than the way that some people cache, ie find certain caches that they want, print the pages, and then head off specifically for that cache.

brian (eightbit)

I'm planning on caching tomorrow. I still haven't decided which direction I'll be heading but that really doesn't matter.

My PDA has the closes 480 cache pages ready for me. I've also plotted them as points on my topo maps plus added them to Cetus. All on the Palm.

I also download them into my 315.

So I'm ready to go which ever direction I choose.

That's why I use a Palm.

Team Sand Dollar

quote:

I haven't yet figured out __why__ anyone would want or need "a snapshot of GC.com in their pocket" when they only intend to snag a few caches. (Yeah, I know the answer is "wherever I end up, I can find a cache." So how come I never see cache logs stating something like that?)

To be blunt, you don't need to figure it out. No one needs to have anything in this hobby or even the hobby itself, unless it's to fulfill a want.

Fulfilling a want is where it's at. We wanted to not have to plan where we were going too far ahead. We wanted to not worry about if we had any particular printout. We wanted to be free of our desk and get into the field faster.

We've done the paper printouts route and we've done the paper-less route. The paper-less route works much better for us, so much so that going back to paper printouts would slow us down considerably.

You know, maybe more operative words in your statement is "only intend to snag a few caches." Once we've gone paperless, we've hardly ever intend to "snag a few caches." What we intend to do is go where ever we want and cache until we feel like quiting. We feel like driving a 150 miles out and clearing out an area? We can do that. It's now raining and would rather do some urban caches in the next town over? We can do that, too.

How about another advantage of paperless over printouts--freshness. My data is as current as Friday or Saturday morning. With printouts, planning too far ahead could mean your printout is out of date. Say, you've planned a trip to an area, but couldn't go for a couple of weeks. Now you either have to use stale data or print it out again.

While it is true that you can print out a cache page and that will be more current than frequent PQ, but only if you go right then.

Fragility of PDAs can be an issue, but given the things we've done with a PDA with us, I don't think that is much of an issue. You destroy your PDA, you're doing something wrong. I've had to clean dirt out of our PDA a couple of times because spills. (Just goes to show you, it's not a good idea to be using your PDA while hiking trails with roots!) I don't keep our PDA in my pocket, that's just a saying. It actually goes in my pouch, something I can hang on a limb, set aside, or toss to Sissy to protect the contents--which is more than just the PDA--if I had to.

Because all of the cache descriptions are in one neat little package, I don't have to worry about getting the binder out (when we remember) and finding the proper printout. We grab our packs and "bail out!" Not only does it get us away from our desk faster, it gets us out of the truck faster.

True, there is a little bit of a learning curve, but nothing too bad.

True, there is the time involved in converting and uploading the files, but it's a lot less that perusing GC.com looking for and printing out cache descriptions. I can run programs and walk away to do other things.

In conclusion, having a PDA is not a need, it's a want. The want is to make things easier and faster. It certainly does that.

CR

72057_2000.gif

You know CR, after reading your informative post, I just can't figure out how I've managed to find the caches I have without benefit of every electronic gizmo and piece of software imaginable. Clearly, I have been 'doing it wrong' all this time. Foolish, foolish me!

Thanks for the tips, but on second thought, no thanks.

Yeah, well, it must be nice to have over 800 caches within a 50 mile radius of what GC.com considers the middle of NYC and more than 1800 within 100 miles. That's more than four times the caches within 150 miles of my home coordinates.

It's not early as convenient for me to just run back to the house to get a missing printout.

Besides, I've never said going with paper printouts was wrong. My arguement was how I felt going paperless was much better for me. Everyone else has to weight their situation, the pros and cons of what is important to them and then make a decision for themselves. Heck, the whole point of this thread is to query why a PDA would help one with geocaching. I think I've pointed out some very good advantages of using a PDA. If using a PDA is not right you, then it's not right for you, don't criticize others for coming to a different conclusion.

CR

72057_2000.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Sissy-n-CR:

It's not early as convenient for me to just run back to the house to get a missing printout.

Now CR, you don't want people to offer their criticisms, so you should know better than to write presumptuous garbage like that. But for the sake of argument, I don't recall ever having done that, anyway. I don't need to use my PDA because my gps is capable of storing more waypoints than I need; for 95% of caches, even a printed cache page is unnecessary.

quote:
Heck, the whole point of this thread is to query why a PDA would help one with geocaching.

It's not a very comprehensive discussion if only one viewpoint is presented. I really don't care what people use or don't use. But I do find it laughable when people suggest, or are led to believe, that they aren't competent, prepared or efficient unless they find a pretense to use every toy or gizmo available.

It seems to me, in many cases people use their toys as excuses NOT to go out and geocache; when they do venture out with all their toys, it's merely to snag a gob of drive-by caches.

Whatever. To each their own.

But once again, the thread was one the subject of how it WILL help and not hw it WILL NOT help. Read the initial post of the topic starter:

quote:

I'm looking at getting a PDA for some work stuff...How and Why would I use it Geocaching?...What programs would I need on it for it to work for caching?

Not once do I see in there any question of asking why they shouldn't use one. Everyone except you had offer their positive thoughts to help him with his decision. Rather than to impose negativity towards him, the issue or the others who posted on here that use PDA's in their geocaching endeavours.

Brian

[This message was edited by Woodsters Outdoors on August 30, 2003 at 08:01 AM.]

I started this thread because I'm getting a PDA I just wanted to know what I could do with it (Geocachingwise) once I get it...I have been caching with paper for close to a year. I take the paper with me because, like sissy and CR I have to drive a distance to most caches around here. The closest cache that I can get to is 17 miles up a mountain. I don't want to drive all the way there and not find it because I don't have the printout.

Because of the price of gas and the distance I have to go to get the caches, most of mine are "opportunistic" caches i.e. if I have to go into the city for a doctors appointment or some sporting event I'll try and nail some caches in the area. If I have access to lots of caches in the area at the tip of my fingers I think it would make caching easier for me…I would like to thank all the people that have put their 2cents in (for and against) keep em coming.

Coast2Coast2Coast

quote:

Now CR, you don't want people to offer their criticisms, so you should know better than to write presumptuous garbage like that. But for the sake of argument, I don't recall ever having done that, anyway. I don't need to use my PDA because my gps is capable of storing more waypoints than I need; for 95% of caches, even a printed cache page is unnecessary.

What's so presumptuous about knowing that because you are living is high density area that you can more easily return home to get missing cache pages? I didn't say you did, but that you could. But that's not even the best of it. Even if you didn't return home, unless you've simply ran out of printouts you could continue to cache and not hit all of the ones in a particular area. You could either forget about that cache for now because of so many in the area or come back later to get that one and more!

In a more cache poor area missing one cache could represent a much higher precentage of the caches in that area. It could very well be the only unfound cache in that area. To get that cache, you either have to go out of your way, or just leave it. When you've cached out your area out to 60 miles or so except for the fee areas and hydro caches, most caches are out of the way. Except for a few in Hilton Head, all of the ones within an 80 mile radius are very spread out.

It's for these reasons that you will want to make sure you have all of the information with you. I certainly don't want to miss any more caches because I didn't have a print out.

quote:

It's not a very comprehensive discussion if only one viewpoint is presented.

It's okay to present a viewpoint, but don't criticize another viewpoint becuase you don't understand it.

quote:

But I do find it laughable when people suggest, or are led to believe, that they aren't competent, prepared or efficient unless they find a pretense to use every toy or gizmo available.

We're not talking about every gizmo, just PDAs. My view has nothing to do with competence, but it certainly presents a good arguement about preparedness and efficiency!

But like you said, to each their own.

CR

72057_2000.gif

To get back on topic here:

I have an ancient Palm III purchased for $5 from another geocacher (D*mn, I still need to actually send her those 5 WG$!) for caching. If it breaks, I guess I skip breakfast on day, no big deal.

I run my PQs thru Fuzzy's GPXDOC program, which converts the cache page and the last 5 logs to a palmdoc format. It's not as pretty as Spinner's HTML, but I can easily fit 1000+ cache pages in my little 2megs of ram. I also use Spinner, but only for the GPS. Using Spinner, I have most of the esential information right in my GPS. Cache name, GCID, cache type and size, if it has a TB, and if it has recent DNFs. For most caches, like BP mentioned, this info is all I need. I don't print any cache pages at all. Occasionally, I will need to consult the description or logs for more info, mentions of legal access points, problems, or a hint. Then, I can take my $5 PDA in its armored case from it's padded section of my backpack, read the cache page, and put it back. It's not like I'm climbing over rocks with it like my GPS. Besides, if it DID break, I'll get another old, obsolete PDA off ebay for a few bucks.

It's really nice to be sitting in a typical NJ traffic jam, turn on the GPS, and go find the nearest cache without any planning whatsoever.

Much nicer then the time I tried something like that without a PDA or printout. What looked like a 200ft park and grab turned into a 4 mile multicache that I hiked 8 miles to do because I didn't have info from the cache sheet.

"(Mopar is) good to have around and kick. Like an ugly puppy" - Jeremy

quote:

Perhaps, but a degree doesn't mean you can...

Alright, but the education I received in order to get that degree does.

quote:
Originally posted by coast2coast2coast:

I started this thread because I'm getting a PDA I just wanted to know what I could do with it (Geocachingwise) once I get it...

I'm getting a PDA, too! It should be arriving on Wednesday (bought it on Ebay). I'm taking a couple of trips through Arizona in the next 2 months. I plan on using the available software (watcher, spinner, etc) to get a list of caches to search for. I don't want to have to print out hundreds of cache pages just so I'll have them with me on the trips. It would be easier to see what caches are nearby on my GPS, then look them up on the PalmPilot.

I have non-geocaching uses for the PDA also, but I wouldn't want Jeremy to lock this thread because I happened to mention them.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness bandbass.gif

For your particular case, c2c2c, if you are already getting/have gotten a PDA, then what do you have to lose using it also for geocaching? icon_smile.gif My work provides a PDA, I use it also for geocaching. Would I have bought one on my own? Maybe, maybe not. But since I already have it, what the heck!

Here's one more reason I like having it that noone has mentioned. Depending on what program(s) you use on it, a PDA can save a lot of time decoding hints. Back when I was using paper, it could sometimes be frustrating decoding by hand. Ever had a "hint" that reads something like "This cache is so easy, it doesn't need a hint!"? Nothing worse than taking the time to decode that by hand only to find it useless! I have also had hints that can be very lengthy. Call me lazy, but I'd rather click on button on the PDA and have it instantly decoded than take time away from the hunt decoding by hand.

As others have said, I like the ability to go wherever I want and have those cache descriptions/coords at hand. I've had situations where I planned to hunt, say 5 caches. If I find those 5 quicker than I thought I would, I just look in the PDA to see what else might be near. If I'd been using paper, I might be unable to hunt those.

I don't know if I agree with BassoonPilot that all that's required to hunt a cache is coords. If that were true, you could easily spend an infinite amount of time hunting a cache, never knowing it was a virtual. The same thing could apply if you just uploaded a bunch of geocache waypoints into your GPSr without having the cache page. It's no fun looking for a container when it's really a virtual, or driving to a location not knowing the cache page says "THE POSTED COORDINATES ARE BOGUS!". Well, at least that's no fun in my book.

Whew, this might be my longest post yet in these forums. The wine must have be going!

Enjoy the long weekend, all!

TX Hokie...good points. The feature of decoding the hints is automatically done on the GPXview program that the pocket pc. The neat thing about the pocket pc, is that you only need one program to view the query files and that's gpxview. It's free and works like a champ.

Another good point that TX Hokie brought up are that some of the logs will have different info that may be helpful, like some different coordinates that were not updated on the cache page. Also on the cache page, there may be additional coordinates for parking or info to complete a multi or puzzle cache, as well as info needed to complete a virtual.

Brian

Now you guys have me thinking about PDAs again. I have been thinking of getting one, did not realize that you could use them for caching. And the whole printing the cache sheets is starting to get kind of unorganized, and on top of that, we take off on a whim some days, I take the GPS, the digital camera, cell, etc. (my father-in-law says I must love gadgets) not planning to stop at a cache, then later see one marked on the GPS and think... uh, that is really close, but was it a virtual, traditional.. and end up NOT stopping because we don't know what we are looking for. I had been looking at the Palm Zire... kinda cheap and could get me started, but do any/all of these programs work with it?