Need help-small racoon proof container?

Guest sjs102

Guest sjs102

I could use some help. We have a small cache in a 7 1/2 X 4 1/2 X 2 1/2 rubbermaid container that has been raided by racoons twice now. The first time out someone had left a pez dispenser with the candy still in it, so it was obvious why they'd got into it (that was 6/23). It was fine 8/26, but I've just been notified that as of 8/29 they'd spread it all around again. Far as I can tell no food was put in it this time. I'd like to replace the cache, but this time in something they can't get into so there's not the mess to clean up. I'd also like to keep the container size small, so as to keep it a challenge to find. Do they make mini ammo cans? Does anyone have any suggestions? We had wanted to keep the cache in place until about Oct, and then pull it and put it back next year, but if I can't solve this I'll just have to pull it now.

Guest navdog

You can find smaller .30 cal. ammo cans at some surplus stores. They are only about 3" wide, which is half the width of the regular or most common size. This would give you a container that is waterproof and more secure than rubbermaid stuff.

Guest Pat in Louisiana

Have you thought about using 1 gal. paint cans? you would have to tie a lid opener to it.

------------------

Pat in Louisiana

30:27:13.392N

91:02:55.054W

I never get lost!

I simply investigate alternate destinations!

[This message has been edited by Pat in Louisiana (edited 29 August 2001).]

Guest sjs102

Problem with the paint cans is that they rust shut. Also a gallon can is too big for what we're trying to do, though one of the pint ones might do. A friend suggested something called an "otter water proof case" from a military supply store. Says it's smaller that the 30MM Ammo can.

Guest brokenwing

quote:
Originally posted by sjs102:

A friend suggested something called an "otter water proof case" from a military supply store. Says it's smaller that the 30MM Ammo can.

A Otter Box might be a good solution for you, but I wouldn't swear to them being 'coon proof. The boxes use a simple latch and a smart racoon might be able to get into it. That said, it's still likely lightyears ahead of a tupperware container. Be aware, an Otter Box can be pricy. You might look at cases4less.com I have no personal experience with them, but others here have recommended them.

brokenwing

Guest RealDcoy

Even .30 cal ammo cans are too large considering your dimensions listed. The smaller ones you are talking about are more rare, and harder to find at local stores. There are quite a few online sites, but by the time you add in shipping.....

I would suggest that you visit your local hardware store. Buy PVC drain tubing and PVC cement. Cement one end closed with a cap, and use a screw in drain access on the other side. You should be able to do that very inexpensively.

The "Otter Boxes" that I know of is a plastic product. There is quite a selection here:

http://www.usinternetsales.com/USInternetSales_Otter_Box.htm#PN-1000

And this site has a bunch of them on sale. They have one for about $11.00 that is near your dimensions;

http://www.outbackgear.com/otboxwatcas.html

Guest sjs102

Thanks for the suggestion. We have two other caches out, and they are in PVC pipe. The only problem with them is they don't hold as much as you'd like them to. The benefit is that they are definetly water proof. We've had none of the problems with them that we've had with this one. This will probably be the last time I use tupperware.

Guest brokenwing

quote:
Originally posted by RealDcoy:

I would suggest that you visit your local hardware store. Buy PVC drain tubing and PVC cement. Cement one end closed with a cap, and use a screw in drain access on the other side. You should be able to do that very inexpensively.

I'm personally not in favor of this type of cache. We recently had a rash of pipe bomb's being place locally, so, at least around here, people are more sensitive to things shaped like one. I'm thinking you might have some serious explaining to do if one of these got reported to the police. Although I personally don't, I have noticed that some folks also have this problem with ammo cans, one of the reasons many people use tupperware.

Just a thought.

brokenwing

Forgot to add that I have been using ammo cans and they seem to hold up really well.

[This message has been edited by brokenwing (edited 29 August 2001).]

Guest prv8eye
Originally posted by brokenwing:

I'm personally not in favor of this type of cache. We recently had a rash of pipe bomb's being place locally

No self respecting whacko would make a pipe bomb out of plastic pipe. It's the STEEL in a pipe bomb that does most of the damage.

It was a fad, for a time, of idiots to make 2 litre soda bottle "bombs" for amusement. They went boom but did little damage. We can't be fearful every time we find a littered bottle.

Besides, what would be the point of placing a bomb out in the boonies??

Some people are always going to replace common sense with fear and assume the worst, no matter what container they see.

This could be a good thing for geocashing. It might keep hikers who stumble upon a cache from messing with it .

Guest brokenwing

quote:
Originally posted by prv8eye:

No self respecting whacko would make a pipe bomb out of plastic pipe. It's the STEEL in a pipe bomb that does most of the damage.

It was a fad, for a time, of idiots to make 2 litre soda bottle "bombs" for amusement. They went boom but did little damage. We can't be fearful every time we find a littered bottle.

Besides, what would be the point of placing a bomb out in the boonies??

Some people are always going to replace common sense with fear and assume the worst, no matter what container they see.

This could be a good thing for geocashing. It might keep hikers who stumble upon a cache from messing with it .

I agree that no real pipe bomb is going to be made of plastic, but that's not the point. During the recent pipe bomb scare here, people were calling in anything that even looked pipe shaped. Besides, if it's painted, how many people are going to get close enough to try to identify whether it's plastic before calling the police?

Like most large urban areas, the majority of the caches here are in public parks, not in the boonies. In this case, I think discretion is called for.

Thanks,

brokenwing

Guest BigDoggie

I don't you can beat an ammo box for (1) durability, (2) water-resistance, 3) tamper resistance and (4) low cost, compared to the fancy boxes. Even pre-teen kids find it hard to open an ammo box, which is another plus.