Stories/articles/interviews on geocaching.com

I'm not sure where to submit this idea (the geocaching.com discussion group doesn't seem to be working) so I'll toss it out here and maybe one of the site admins will see it.

I think a great addition to this site would be a news/articles section where there are articles written about various aspects of caching by professional writers/reporters. For example, there's lots of information about choosing a GPSr, but much of it is buried in long discussion threads. How about a comprehensive article on choosing a GPSr with links to other sites, links to discussion groups, etc.

Similar articles could cover battery chargers,

alkaline vs. NiMH vs. NiCad batteries, procedures and tips for placing a cache, mapping software, antennas, firmware, backpacks, caching safety, etc.

These articles would definitely not replace the discussion groups, but they could provide factual information about a topic.

Who knows, other sites (Magellan, Garmin, gear manufacturers, battery makers, first aid kit companies, websites that sell gear) might even be willing to pay a fee to include a link to their site.

Thanks!

It's already there.

This is the link to the information site for Geocaching.com. It has links to just about all the things you just mentioned. Maybe not in as much detail as you are looking for but there is quite a bit of info there. If you check out

this page there is a bunch of links to other resources relating to Geocaching. As with everyting in life I'm sure this is a work in progress and as Jeremy comes across a site that he feels might be of interest he will add it to these pages.

smile02.gif Why be normal!!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Wander Lost:

It's already there.

http://www.geocaching.com/about/is the link to the information site for Geocaching.com. It has links to just about all the things you just mentioned. Maybe not in as much detail as you are looking for but there is quite a bit of info there. If you check out

http://www.geocaching.com/links.asppage there is a bunch of links to other resources relating to Geocaching. As with everyting in life I'm sure this is a work in progress and as Jeremy comes across a site that he feels might be of interest he will add it to these pages.

http://home.attbi.com/~wander_lost/smile02.gif Why be normal!!!!

Thanks Wander Lost!

I've seen these portions of the site and while I think they're good, I was thinking along the lines of more comprehensive articles on each of the above topics. For example, an article on batteries might look something like this:

a) Types of batteries (alkaline, NiMH, NiCaD)

:P Ideal uses for each (type of device they work best in)

c) Advantages of each for GPSr

d) Disadvantages of each for GPSr

e) How different chargers affect batteries

f) Tips and Hints on prolonging battery life

g) What's in the future for battery technology

h) Estimated prices - includes major brand names, prices, links to websites that sell them, links to manufacturer's websites, etc.

i) Table comparing features/specs for brands and types of batteries.

You know, something along those lines... hopefully, with periodic updates as new technologies become available.

It would take some work, but would add a lot to the site I think!

Thanks!