Holiday Cache idea

Guest Pote

Well it's a holiday virtual cache idea, sorta. The idea is inspired by this article. When you are driving around looking at peoples xmas decorations, waypoint the wildest ones. Then ask the cachers to rate the cache and score the best display's in your town. You could even give the local winner a 'geocache grand prize' of a happy meal treat in a tupperware box. What do y'all think? Stupid idea or not?

Guest badbitbucket

I think it's a Great Idea.

Another option is to talk Jeremy into creating a new forum called Favorite Lights with topics for each state. Cachers could then log replies to the appropriate state topic with coords to thier favorite display.

-CK

Guest Markwell

First - on topic: What about just starting the "Favorite Christmas Lights" threads in the regional forums? Since I live in Chicago, I would post my favorite displays in the Midwest forum, etc.

Now, off topic: When I first read this thread's title I thought "Somebody stole my idea!", but not so. I doubt I will ever get time to implement this idea, so maybe someone else with more time (and fewer or older kids) can - hopefully in my area. This idea could also be popular enough for many of these caches in many regions.

Idea:

A holiday themed cache in which the contents of the cache change prior and up to the holiday. Example, right now the cache is full of Thanksgiving stuff that would be traded out, and Christmas/Hanukkah items would be traded in. From December 25 to Feb 14 Christmas items are taken out and Valentines are put in. Cycle through the following US holidays:

• Valentine's Day
  • St. Partrick's Day
  • Easter/Passover
  • Memorial Day
  • Mother's or Father's Day
  • Independence Day
  • Labor Day/Back to School
  • Halloween
  • Thanksgiving
  • Christmas

I'd do it, but I don't really have the energy or the time to put out another cache for quite a while (wife just had back surgery on herniated disc, so she's out of circulation for 4-6 weeks).

Let me know if anyone likes the idea...

I LOVE the light idea!!

Anywho, here is a cache I just did a couple days ago! Sounds alot like Markwell's by chance!

Check it out!

[This message has been edited by bwware (edited 28 November 2001).]

Guest badbitbucket

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

First - on topic: What about just starting the "Favorite Christmas Lights" threads in the regional forums?

I dunno Markwell... that like makes a little too much sense don't ya think? tongue.gif

yeah, I hadn't thought of the regional forums. That would probably work better actually.

-BBB

quote:
When I first read this thread's title I thought "Somebody stole my idea!"

Now I wouldn't do that to you, Markwell ;^)

I do like the suggestion of posting the lon/lat in the regional message boards. So when I travel to Raleigh, DC, Richmond, etc. I'll be able to hit the regional high'lights' .

Way to grow the the idea guys. And I hope Mrs. Markwell is up and attum and chasing you with the rolling pin soon! :^) Best wishes to her.

Guest Morseman

On November 27th I placed a cache near a couple of houses near me who go well overboard on their lights. icon_smile.gif

However, as I normally inhabit the United Kingdom area of the forum, I didn't spot your posting until today.

My cache has been authorised, and has the referrence GC2A67.

------------------

--... ...--

Morseman

[This message has been edited by Morseman (edited 29 November 2001).]

Guest Morseman

On November 27th I placed a cache near a couple of houses near me who go well overboard on their lights. icon_smile.gif

However, as I normally inhabit the United Kingdom area of the forum, I didn't spot your posting until today.

My cache has been authorised, and has the referrence GC2A67.

------------------

--... ...--

Morseman

[This message has been edited by Morseman (edited 29 November 2001).]

I was at a craft fair with a friend (who is not a geocacher -- at least not yet) and suddenly she stopped in the middle of the aisle and said, "You know what would make a great cache? Christmas ornaments."

That was all the encouragement I needed. I got a Christmas tin (okay, so it's not gonna blend into the surroundings, but...) and filled it with homemade Christmas ornaments -- reindeer pins, painted cinnamon stick Santas, Santa keys, Christmas spiders with the German legend and cinnamon clay ornaments with the clay recipe attached. They were small, so I could fit about 25 into a 1/2 gallon tin. I hung it just above eye level from a coat hanger in a dense pine tree in one of our city parks.

The very next day after I placed it (we don't have a very big geocaching community around here yet, so I was surprised at how quickly someone visited), there was a log that said how much fun it was running around with their kids in the snow and pines with their flashlights looking for treasure. So I hope it helps bring a little cheer to a few more geocachers.

I plan to archive the cache at the end of January, and if it seems to have been popular this year, to place one next Christmas at a different park (with plenty of pine trees, of course) using some of the ornaments traded this year.

As for other holidays, the only one that has sprung to mind is hiding a Halloween cache in a cemetery (away from actual burial plots so it's respectful).