Themed Caches (to counter the degeneration of cache contents)

Team Bandito has come up with the idea of a Themed Cache we are in the formative stages of selecting locations for our caches and spending equal time discussing the contents of our caches. To this end we (also dissappointed in the lame contends of several caches) have decided to 'theme' our caches.

Sticker caches

Cd caches

art caches

these and other caches will contain contents strictly related to the individual cache theme.

Sticker caches will ovbiously contain stickers and so on... these caches will be managed, and nonrelating items will be removed and their doners firmly repremanded (8-P )

Of course details will be clearly conveyed in the initial cache page so the cache hunter or huntess will have time to prep and bring along the right cache donations.

I know you still have your scratch and sniff sticker album yo! lol

Anyway what do you all think of this idea?

What kinds of theme's can you think of?

Ever been to a cache in Nevada? lmao we were at one cache and it was full of sex industry stuff common to hand outs on the vegas strip (hooker ads, etc and a travel guide titled "the guide to the best cat houses in nevada" which now rests on my book shelf in the travel guide section! Luckly some team members were at a bachalorette party the night before and had penis straws and earings from the bridesmade with them in their purses lol!

Seriously though... this is a good idea we think.. themed caches ay whats your 2 cents?

<-T 3 a |/| B a || d i T 0->

S [] U T |-| 3 U < |_ i D [] |-| | []

quote:
Originally posted by <-T3am Ba||dit0->: these caches will be managed, and nonrelating items will be removed and their doners firmly repremanded (8-P )

Of course details will be clearly conveyed in the initial cache page so the cache hunter or huntess will have time to prep and bring along the right cache donations.

I don't see this as a solution. I have 2 themed caches and at least half of the finders do not stick to the theme. So what!

No, I don't "reperemand" them. I'm not in this to make any enemies. They had a good time searching and finding the cache and to me...nothing else matters. If the items in the cache are not to my satisfaction. I'll spend $20 and replace them with new stuff. I hope you do too.

If I find a cache full of undesirables, then I'll chose not to trade and then take another look around and wonder if I ever would of been here without this cache. So with that thought, I've never walked away from a cache disappointed.

Everything in life is never all roses...why should we expect geocaching to be. Overall, both are pretty darn good.

For what its worth,

Smoochnme

goldfish.gif

"Only when the last tree is cut,

and the last stream is polluted,

and the last fish is caught,

will we realize that you can't eat the money"

Theme based caches wont end the problem of content degredation, cachers will trade what ever they happen to have with them at the time. If you start repramanding players for not keeping to the theme, you might find your themed cache being constantly filled with "geo-junk" in retaliation. Just do regular maintenance and remove the things you would rather not have in the cache.

I've got my first theme-cache all set, just have to find an appropriate place to hide it.

Lost? I'm not lost. At least I don't think I'm lost, well............OK, maybe just a little.

[This message was edited by Misguided One on May 06, 2002 at 08:37 PM.]

Go ahead and do your themed cache, but don't be surprised if a lot of cachers don't stick to the theme. A lot of cachers don't even read the cache page before hunting. You may also get a bunch of "themed junk." In a CD cache, you might get a CD-ROM game for Windows 3.1, or a Spice Girls CD. In an art cache, you might get some 3-year old's drawing on a piece of notebook paper, or a ticket stub from an art museum. A sticker cache? How about the little Chiquita sticker from off a banana peel? Theming won't keep out the geo-junk. Some who come unprepared will "improvise" to keep the theme.

25021_1200.gif

I have a couple, here they are

Mother In Law Pics

Postcards

Pet Pics

The Tool Box

The photos of mother in laws and pets won't degrade. Postcards shouldn't degrade either. The Tools will but I didn't start it off with all that much anyway.

Oh and the Tool Box is a members only cache. Think that might help? I don't really care. I just want people to find them and have a good time.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On icon_biggrin.gif

I have a couple, here they are

Mother In Law Pics

Postcards

Pet Pics

The Tool Box

The photos of mother in laws and pets won't degrade. Postcards shouldn't degrade either. The Tools will but I didn't start it off with all that much anyway.

Oh and the Tool Box is a members only cache. Think that might help? I don't really care. I just want people to find them and have a good time.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On icon_biggrin.gif

Mine is doing well. But it has only been out for a short time. It's close enough that I can take out any non-theme items if I wanted to.

Most of the logs however have been respectful of the theme. If they don't have anything to trade they Take Nothing, Leave Nothing.

Here is the link if you want to check it out.

smile02.gif Why be normal!!!!

no worries... I was not planning on spanking anyone who put a wheat penny into my sticker cache or something worthless like that!

I was just speaking figuratively!

I am defenately NOT NOT NOT 'Out to make enemy' as one put it!! lmao! oMG rofl

I AM going to stress the THEME part in the caches page so as to make it crystal clear as to the direction I intend for it!

make enemy's ha ha come come Team Bandito is a great bunch of people, and we choose our enemys much more selectively than picking the people who but garbage into caches!

We should set up a post on cache contents maybe... and try and come up with some groundrules and sort of self regulate!

quote:
Originally posted by :

• items related to a particular movie (If Dapper Dan Pomade really existed, I'd start an O Brother themed cache!) icon_biggrin.gif

• kitchen gadgets

• recipes - This cache is coming soon from me

• mousepads

• there are so many more possibilities!!!

-----

froggy.gif You must be present to win.

[This message was edited by MissJenn on May 07, 2002 at 10:48 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by :

• items related to a particular movie (If Dapper Dan Pomade really existed, I'd start an O Brother themed cache!) icon_biggrin.gif

• kitchen gadgets

• recipes - This cache is coming soon from me

• mousepads

• there are so many more possibilities!!!

-----

froggy.gif You must be present to win.

[This message was edited by MissJenn on May 07, 2002 at 10:48 AM.]

Where's George

Disney Only

Spherical objects

Key Rings

Foreign Currency

Letter Boxes

Pens

Fortunes from fortune cookies

Hello Kitty!

Baseball

Video tape exchange

CD exchange

NYC kitsch

State-specific items (a traveling cache)

Tool exchange

That's about all I can remember off the top of my head ...

Oh yes; a later post reminded me of a couple holiday ones I also did:

Easter

Christmas/Hannukah/Kwanzaa (a holiday multi!)

Though they weren't necessarily "themed," there have also been a number of caches I elected to "passover." icon_wink.gif

[This message was edited by BassoonPilot on May 08, 2002 at 09:26 AM.]

Where's George

Disney Only

Spherical objects

Key Rings

Foreign Currency

Letter Boxes

Pens

Fortunes from fortune cookies

Hello Kitty!

Baseball

Video tape exchange

CD exchange

NYC kitsch

State-specific items (a traveling cache)

Tool exchange

That's about all I can remember off the top of my head ...

Oh yes; a later post reminded me of a couple holiday ones I also did:

Easter

Christmas/Hannukah/Kwanzaa (a holiday multi!)

Though they weren't necessarily "themed," there have also been a number of caches I elected to "passover." icon_wink.gif

[This message was edited by BassoonPilot on May 08, 2002 at 09:26 AM.]

I have placed a few themed caches and they go down very well.

Christmas

Halloween

Fathers Day

Easter

Purple

Most cachers come with the right type of stuff and if they don't well so what.

The funniest excuse for not having a tradeable item for purple was....I am color blind so I left some gold.

They do make the find fun.

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

I have placed a few themed caches and they go down very well.

Christmas

Halloween

Fathers Day

Easter

Purple

Most cachers come with the right type of stuff and if they don't well so what.

The funniest excuse for not having a tradeable item for purple was....I am color blind so I left some gold.

They do make the find fun.

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif