What happened to the topic?

geospotter

quote:
Originally posted by Pantalaimon:

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

You missed why people will make a sock puppet account to post an open letter to begin with.

RK, is the "you" in this comment me? I don't understand what you're saying here, and if it was directed at me, I would ask that you expound on your meaning.

I know you don't have a problem with a lack of verbosity. icon_smile.gif

Pan

_What does anybody want? I want the Red Sox to win the World Series._ - Bill Pullman as Alan Safian in Malice, in response to being asked "What do you want?"

Ok what I was getting at is that if you read the post you would know why such an open letter was needed and why it was deleted. A catch 22 if you will.

quote:
Originally posted by Pantalaimon:

quote:
Originally posted by umc:

Probably the "Delete General Forum" button but missed.. icon_smile.gif

Nah, that one's probably bright red, covered in glass and next to it is a tiny hammer with an "In case of emergency" sign next to it.

Pan

Haha, I got a good chuckle out of that one. big_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox:

quote:
Originally posted by Breaktrack:

If, and I emphasize, IF, the account under which it was posted was a sockpuppet account, then it should have been deleted, whether the issues were legitimate or not.

Please explain further how the name an issue or concern is posted under legitimizes (or illegitimizes) that issue or concern. My opinion is the name (recognized forum regular, newcomer or sockpuppet) is irrelevant; the issue or concern is all that should matter.

Incidentally, Breaktrack, what are your thoughts about "sockpuppet" approvers and admins.?

[This message was edited by Zaphod Beeblebrox on September 16, 2003 at 09:31 AM.]

Sorry, I guess I should have included the fact that I was speaking from the aspect of it being against the rules to post from a sock puppet account. That might have made my meaning clearer. I also said that regardless of the issue having merit if you'll recall.

Having admins and approvers using screenames other than their caching screennames to approve and admin under is no skin off my nose, and I'm not quite sure why it would be some off yours. It is common practive in a lot of endeavors and as stated by others, I don't blame them.

As for my *screenname* being anonymous, that is true to a certain extent, and would be more so if I chose not to put anything in my profile, as many do. However, I'm pretty up front with who and what I am, I even have a link to my home web page, and I'm not paranoid enough to think some shlub from say, Oregon (just an example folks, calm down...lol) is going to use the info to hunt me down and bite my ankles....

Regardless, the issue at hand was one of an interesting post being deleted, whether by accident or not, because essentially it was against the rules, as posted, and should have been deleted. Pretty simple in my book.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

"Afghanistan was a battle. Iraq was a battle. The war goes on."

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy:

quote:
Originally posted by solohiker:

So we have a bunch of inexperienced amateurs running this site?

Who woulda guessed?

It's good enough to keep you coming back, isn't it?

smile.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

Hahahaha, you know, I said the exact same thing to someone the other day! With all the complaining lately, everyone seems happy enough to keep coming back to complain....LOL.

Well, till Team360 quit......

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

quote:

Having admins and approvers using screenames other than their caching screennames to approve and admin under is no skin off my nose, and I'm not quite sure why it would be some off yours. It is common practive in a lot of endeavors and as stated by others, I don't blame them.

I'm guessing as a true sockpuppet himself, Zaphod is a bit worried about his demise.

--------------------

bad_boy_a.gif Personal slave of The Frog. bad_boy_a.gif

quote:
Originally posted by NJ Admin:

quote:

I'm guessing as a true sockpuppet himself, Zaphod is a bit worried about his demise.

--------------------

ROFL.... ya know, I hadn't thought of that...LOL.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

quote:
Originally posted by NJ Admin:

Was that post part of your official function, NJ Admin, or were you merely trolling? With the "new rules," has trolling become a part of your job description?

Should you look up the formal definition of 'sockpuppet,' you will see that I am not one. The word is applied incorrectly on this website, no doubt because TPTB believe they invented the word, just as they once claimed to have coined the word 'geocaching' and to have invented the game.

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy:

It's good enough to keep you coming back, isn't it?

smile.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

Yes and I come back to see the arrogant and snotty responses from the people that run this site as well.

People keep going back to their jobs everyday, I would guess many of them don't like it either.

quote:
Originally posted by GrizzlyJohn:

Yes and I come back to see the arrogant and snotty responses from the people that run this site as well.

People keep going back to their jobs everyday, I would guess many of them don't like it either.

At least it's cheap entertainment. Not sure how visiting the forums help pay your bills, but if you sold that nugget of wisdom I bet you'd make a fortune.

smile.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location™

quote:
Originally posted by Jomarac5:

It's just a game. Relax.

I disagree J5. It's a positive, healthy, squeaky clean, activity/sport, but that's not what he was talking about.

Many people get irritated by the tone used in these forums. I think that's what that guy was referring too. He elicited (very nearly) the response that he expected to get. He wins, whoopdy-freakin-do. icon_rolleyes.gif He could have chosen better words, but the message came through to me quite clearly.

It's not a point that's really worth arguing. Only a small percentage of us even keep up with the latest geocaching news/ideas/rumors.

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

texasgeocaching_sm.gif Sacred cows make the best hamburger....Mark Twain.

quote:
Originally posted by Jomarac5:

But still, it's just a game.

A form of entertainment.

But some seem to take it way too seriously.

Frickin frackin fruckin ooooohhhhh!!! icon_mad.gif

Jomarac5 (I clearly and correctly spelled it this time)

I have read and re-read and read once more this reply, and have bitten off half my tongue (mind you, I can still type) but cannot help it.!!

Everyone shunned me for my posts, but here you are care free and flowing in the breeze. icon_confused.gif

Entertainment. Yes. But for those who take it too seriously are by the snotty remarks posted by WHOEVER, it doesn't matter.

And you, of all people upon your threshhold looking the other way as in "Who ME?? I don't cause any of the problems here. What have I done??? Oh, and by the way, here's my take on this topic."

Nothing else to be said here. Run me off, but the board is WAY unbalanced, and I see why.

And I am in disbelief that admin. did NOT reply to a decent and well worded email I sent them.

Darnit, and I was trying to grab what last string that was available.

Looks like I blew it.

I feel beeter now.

P.S. For what it's worth, sorry for another personal attack (but well deserved).

I'm ready to go into confinement while the others run free.

Lovely game that is being played here, don't you think?

Opey One, I deleted one of your posts to this thread yesterday because it did not conform to the forum guidelines, after first giving you a warning. If you wrote a letter to the general "contact" e-mail address, it may be awhile before you receive a response, as I know for a fact that the e-mail was really backed up deep last night. As I do not have access to that e-mail box (thank goodness), if you would like me to read what you wrote yesterday, please forward your e-mail to me offline by mailing me through my profile. I'll be glad to read it and give you a response later today.

If Jomarac5 or any other forum participant had a day like you did yesterday, I would deal with them in the same manner.

I will not do anything to the posting you just made because it contains some well-constructed thoughts. Please everyone, try to criticize behavior or ideas constructively without sinking to the level of personally attacking the individual who is behaving a certain way or espousing a certain idea.

Thank you.

PS - Opey, I hope you feel better, instead of feeling beeter. cute.gif

--------------------

smile.gif Signal says, "Drink the Kool-Aid!" smile.gif

[This message was edited by Keystone Approver on September 17, 2003 at 10:59 AM.]

quote:
Opey One wrote:

And you, of all people upon your threshhold looking the other way as in "Who ME?? I don't cause any of the problems here. What have I done??? Oh, and by the way, here's my take on this topic."

I don't recall "looking the other way" or even so much as inferring the statements that you suggest.

Some do take it too seriously. It *is* only a game.

I don't agree with much that happens on this site and to some degree, what happens in these forums, but at the end of the day, I know that it is only a game. And it is designed to be entertainment. Are you not entertained?

quote:
Originally posted by Keystone Approver:

Opey One, I deleted one of your posts to this thread yesterday because it did not conform to the forum guidelines, after first giving you a warning. If you wrote a letter to the general "contact" e-mail address, it may be awhile before you receive a response, as I know for a fact that the e-mail was really backed up deep last night. As I do not have access to that e-mail box (thank goodness), if you would like me to read what you wrote yesterday, please forward your e-mail to me offline by mailing me through my profile. I'll be glad to read it and give you a response later today.

If Jomarac5 or any other forum participant had a day like you did yesterday, I would deal with them in the same manner.

I will not do anything to the posting you just made because it contains some well-constructed thoughts. Please everyone, try to criticize behavior or ideas constructively without sinking to the level of personally attacking the individual who is behaving a certain way or espousing a certain idea.

Thank you.

--------------------

This should be a lesson to other mods/admins. Excellent tone! big_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Snoogans:

quote:
Originally posted by Keystone Approver:

Thank you.

--------------------

This should be a lesson to other mods/admins. Excellent tone! big_smile.gif

Thats a very good point Snoogans especially since when a mod or admin is talked about in the forums its poorly. Seems odd to me how its ok to bash them but they can't bash back.

We all expect respect and to be spoken to as keystone did above but rarely that is given back.

Thats my opinion from what I see of what goes on here.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Caching without a clue....

Okey dokey. I see...

Sorry Keystone, but yes, you did warn me, and I DID tone down.

Jomarac5 then quickly pounced on me, then I gave him a decent reply that I was not to stoop to his level.

Then my post disappeared and yet, Jomarac5 posted the personal gouge AGAIN!

TWO IN A ROW??? And they stayed!! [One sentence edited here by Keystone for very poor taste/language.]

Thanks, for the spelling mistake, Keystone, I do feel better and others seem to have a decent ring to them too.

[EDITED by Keystone Approver as noted above... sorry Opey...]

[This message was edited by Keystone Approver on September 17, 2003 at 11:16 AM.]

Opey One,

Funny thing...well funny to me...I just hit send on a reply to you. Popped in here to see what was going on and saw your email.

Thanks for your email, and if you check your inbox you will see my reply.

cute.gif hydee cute.gif

I work for the frog

Please don't throw sand when playing in the sandbox!

quote:
Originally posted by opey one:

Okey dokey. I see...

Sorry Keystone, but yes, you did warn me, and I DID tone down.

Jomarac5 then quickly pounced on me, then I gave him a decent reply that I was not to stoop to his level.

Then my post disappeared and yet, Jomarac5 posted the personal gouge AGAIN!

TWO IN A ROW??? And they stayed!! [One sentence edited here by Keystone for very poor taste/language.]

Thanks, for the spelling mistake, Keystone, I do feel better and others seem to have a decent ring to them too.

[EDITED by Keystone Approver as noted above... sorry Opey...]

[This message was edited by Keystone Approver on September 17, 2003 at 11:16 AM.]

Jeez Louise!! Now what have I done???

Man, what have I gotten myself into here?

Can't win for losing, GAWD!!!

The sentence that I deleted from your post suggested that Jomarac5 and I had engaged in a lewd act. First off, if you ever met me in person, you'd quickly agree that this suggestion would be an insult to Jomarac5. We all have standards. Second, since I started geocaching, I spend all my free time either glued to the computer or running around in the great outdoors getting covered with mud and mosquito bites. The frequency and probability of my committing any lewd acts has been reduced to pretty near zero. Let's try and keep our discussions grounded in reality, mmmm kay?

--------------------

quote:
Originally posted by umc:

Thats a very good point Snoogans especially since when a mod or admin is talked about in the forums its poorly. Seems odd to me how its ok to bash them but they can't bash back.

We all expect respect and to be spoken to as keystone did above but rarely that is given back.

Thats my opinion from what I see of what goes on here.

You are quite right umc. A mod should be able to get down and dirty when needed, but that shouldn't be the norm.

I was specifically referring to expected tone from Jeremy. This site belongs to HIM. That makes him OUR leader. Sarcasm and derision from a leader will cause an uproar. Dropping to their level removes the exalted nature of the position. Uproars will lead to increased competition. The competition will learn from other's mistakes. We are seeing the results. If you can't or won't meet a customer's needs then they will turn away.

I find it all terribly interesting. I take little of this seriously, but I will support the evolution of this great activity/sport on any site pops up. My approval rating for GC.com has never dropped below 95%. I honestly don't think the competition has much of a chance. The positives outweigh the negatives by about a million to one. (Or should that be 48,932 to 1?)

[This message was edited by Snoogans on September 17, 2003 at 11:49 AM.]

Buttons? We do'nt need no stinkin' buttons!

delete.jpg

geocan.jpg

Trash-out, EVERYtime

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is that the frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by itslef but the wrod as a wlohe.

quote:
I find it all terribly interesting. I take little of this seriously, but I will support the evolution of this great activity/sport on any site pops up. My approval rating for GC.com has never dropped below 95%. I honestly don't think the competition has much of a chance. The positives outweigh the negatives by about a million to one.

Finally, something worth replying to has been posted on this thread. It's been stated "it's a game" and there are no truer words, so get your panties out of a bunch. What we're seeing is the natural and normal even predictable growth of any company. I read the "Open Letter" and found it to be of very little value....basically they didn't like the growth and direction of GC. Well, what can be done? What can be expected from a game that started out small and now has no boarders. The evolution of this games will continue.....mistakes and all. I'm very happy with gc.com....I get a ton of info for free and they even give me a place where I can share my opinion with the rest of the world. However, I have to play by their rules....why does that seem to be so hard for some of you? I've been a part of many forums but for some reason the venom spued here is off the scale. I'm going to enjoy watching the variations of this activity and I'm going to enjoy watching it's growth but the best thing is.....I'm going to be a part of it! I'm not going anywhere just because I don't get the stats that I want and I'm not leaving because GC now has an OPTION to subscribe. I really enjoy caching. What else can be said, I've falling into a game or sport or hobby....whatever you want to call it and I don't want to stop.....so I won't. Right now gc.com is the best site for my needs so I will continue to support it.....warts and all. But when I step back and look at those problems that you all speak of.....I really don't see much. What I do see is a vast future for an activity that I really enjoy. There are issues out there to be addressed, let Jeremy address them the best way he can.....if he doesn't do a good job then someone else will come along and do it better. Right now, I think the crew has made amazing strides given the short amount of time GC has been in existance.

Some of you could really use some time out in the woods looking for a cache.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Scoobie

A day without sunshine is like.....NIGHT!

quote:
Originally posted by Zaphod/Scott III/Mark D :

Was that post part of your official function, NJ Admin, or were you merely trolling? With the "new rules," has trolling become a part of your job description?

None of the above. Thankfully you do not see me listed at the top of this page as a moderator in this forum. I might be a bit more proactive then them enforcing the no sockpuppet rule.

quote:
Originally posted by Zaphod/Scott III/Mark D :

Should you look up the formal definition of 'sockpuppet,' you will see that I am not one. The word is applied incorrectly on this website, no doubt because TPTB believe they invented the word, just as they once claimed to have coined the word 'geocaching' and to have invented the game.

I searched the internet, and could find nothing to substantiate either claim you make. As for the origins of the term "sock puppet" the original definition of the word I found is:

quote:
sock puppet n. [usenet: from the act of placing a sock over your hand and talking to it and pretending it's talking back] In Usenet parlance,a pseudo through which the puppeteer posts follow-ups to their own original message to give the appearance that a number of people support the views held in the original message.

pseudo /soo'doh/ n. [usenet: truncation of `pseudonym'] 1. An electronic-mail or Usenet persona adopted by a human for amusement value or as a means of avoiding negative repercussions of one's net.behavior; a `nom de Usenet', often associated with forged postings designed to conceal message origins.

Now, Zaphod's posts fit that definition pretty well, but that definition is from the 90's, ancient history when it comes to modern language or the internet. The most commonly accepted current definition is a more general:

quote:
sock puppet

An account made on an internet message board, by a person who already has an account, for the purpose of posting more-or-less anonymously.

I think most will agree, the Zaphod account fits this definition to a T, especially since you also have a rather significant amount of posts and cache finds under a different, older account.

--------------------

quote:
The most commonly accepted current definition is a more general:

sock puppet

An account made on an internet message board, by a person who already has an account, for the purpose of posting more-or-less anonymously.

I like the "current definition" just fine.

quote:
I think most will agree, the Zaphod account fits this definition to a T, especially since you also have a rather significant amount of posts and cache finds under a different, older account.

And that differs from the account you used to post that message in what way?

quote:
I might be a bit more proactive then them enforcing the no sockpuppet rule

By the definition you provided, you are a "sockpuppet." Go be "proactive" and deal with yourself.

'inexperienced amateurs'

I prefer to call them 'new volunteer moderators'. That is what they are.

Since you made that post, only a few days back I might add, I am sure even you can say that there have been some positive changes to adding volunteers back to the forums. Results will take time, thanks for your patience.

cute.gif hydee cute.gif

I work for the frog

quote:
Originally posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox:

And that differs from the account you used to post that message in what way?

By the definition you provided, you are a "sockpuppet."

They're not sockpuppet accounts. They're approver accounts. Approver accounts such as the 'NJ Admin' are set up by Groundspeak. It is done to ensure that the functions of the player aren't affected by the functions of the approver.

cute.gif hydee cute.gif

I work for the frog

quote:
They're not sockpuppet accounts. They're approver accounts.

Of course they are ... they're sockpuppet accounts that have received "The Seal of Approval."

quote:

It is done to ensure that the functions of the player aren't affected by the functions of the approver.

Wow, what lousy 'spin.' The only person who wouldn't read that as a 're-dressed' definition of sockpuppet is the person who actually believes the approvers are anonymous. The whole thing is a farce.

Back OT: Is it my imagination, or did another topic just vanish? icon_confused.gif

Could have sworn I saw a new topic (0 views, 0 posts) not more than 20 minutes ago. The topic was something about wanting to be a moderator, by Solo Hiker.

ingeo-button2.gifbad_boy_a.gifpuke.gif

==============="If it feels good...do it"================

**(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it.")**