Big Brother is watching

Macduff

quote:
Originally posted by Macduff:

With the Attorney General attempting to turn us into a nation of snoops, perhaps there is a danger of geocachers being turned in for 'suspicious activity'. for more info, see:

https://www.citizencorps.gov/tips.html

VERY scary!

Not scary at all. They want people to be better at identifying the bad guys and to call sooner. The NRA has been teaching these skills for years in their Personal Protection Course. This is good info to have.

IMHO, we could be particularly helpful in this manner as we have the tools to give good locations and we are not afraid to bushwack into a site. Most people will not be able to give precise locales, we will get within the limit of the GPS system. Most people look a stand of brush and walk around, or don't go it at all, we will willingly stand in the middle of one. Most of us have gotten used to looking for things that don't belong in the scene. These are the skills needed to be good at reporting criminal or terroristic activity.

Thanks for giving the link, I just volunteered for the Medical Reserve Corp.

I agree with bigredmed- this TIPS thing ain't so scary at all, and that our "community" of geocachers can offer a unique service. And let's face it-- bushbashing is very likely the last place one might encounter terrorist ne'er-do-wells

just my $.02

shan

quote:

With the Attorney General attempting to turn us into a nation of snoops, perhaps there is a danger of geocachers being turned in for 'suspicious activity'

VERY scary!

And why is this a danger ? (a potential inconvenience maybe)

Why do you find this scary ?

You may not agree with what I say, but I will defend, to your death, my right to say it!(it's a Joke, OK!)

quote:

With the Attorney General attempting to turn us into a nation of snoops, perhaps there is a danger of geocachers being turned in for 'suspicious activity'. for more info, see:

VERY scary!

Scary? I'd be relieved. If someone decided to "turn me in," I'd have some explanation for what I'm doing. If someone decided to turn me in for snooping around a skyscraper, national resource/landmark, or other "vulnerable" place with a GPS, I wouldn't have an explanation. I also wouldn't be geocaching.

Remember the state where the "20th hijacker" was caught for suspicious activity before September 11? I do.

-Craig/TeamCNJC

... Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took off through the thorns, chest high, ...

There's going to be people here who are gung-ho to sign up because they think Bush is doing a great job and there's going to be people who link this to informant networks in former Iron Curtain countries.

There's an awful lot that might affect the way Geocaching is perceived and participation a year or three from now. Until something actually happens though, I much prefer to see these boards stay politics free. There are more appropriate venues for expressing political opinions and getting things done in whichever way you want them done.

quote:

VERY scary!

So, are you saying, that if a postal offical sees something suspicious he SHOULDN'T say anything? I don't see the big deal. I'm quite the libertarian but I don't think these people will be opening my mail. They're just keeping an eye out.

george

Remember: Half the people you meet are below average.

5867_200.gif

The other day I tried my hand at benchmark hunting. I knew it was on a bridge, but not exactly sure sure. So here I am, walking up and down this bridge, on both sides, on a busy road. I've got all sorts of electronic gear hanging from me - a GPSr, digital camera, cell phone and PDA, and I've got a ream of paper I keep reading. I wonder what I looked like to the paranoid driving by?

I'm a Libertarian and am always on the lookout for government intrusion into our lives. However, after checking out this site, I don't see a Big Brother issue. It simply encourages citizens and

businesses to report suspicious activity. Its totally voluntary. Good citizens should always report suspicious or illegal activity (If you're driving behind an obviously drunk driver, wounld't you dial the local police on your cell phone?).

Its then up to the law enforcement agencies to investigate if they feel your report warrants it.

Look at it this way, since 9/11, there probably have been hundreds of thousands of reports of suspicious activity. Most have been dismissed by the law enforcement agencies, some have been investigated, but nobody has been thrown in jail.

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller