Found Cache that isn't listed.

The cache is clearly marked with the geocache.com letter. It is not listed on the web site. But it is close 40 feet of another cache. I emailed the owner of the listed cache and asked about the one I found. The reply was it didn't sound like the one he/she planted.

Should I log it as a found / lost cache? How do I do that?

Was it hidden or out in the open?

If it was hidden then it most likely will not be approved due to being way to close to another cache.

So no you can not log it till the owner moves it to a new location then after it is approved you may go find it again.

I would leave it there the owner will come back for it after he finds out it is to close to another. If that is what has happened.

The early bird gets the worm, but the 2nd mouse gets the cheese.

right now i am working on a 4 part cache. i have hidden three parts already and am working on the fourth. for this reason i have not posted the coords to the first three yet. perhaps that is the situation that you have found yourself in. perhaps you found a piece of a multicache, before it has been officially placed online.

i would say to email user and then hold onto coords.. perhaps in the coming weeks, it will be placed online and you can log FTF.

nugunslinger

out of curiosity.. wonder if its mine.

It must be an accidental find.

However I have no idea how your going to log it as a find if you can't find the cache page. Is there no log book? It sounds like you found an archived cache.

I've searched, and found, a cache that was archived after I printed out the cache page. The only way I could bring up the archived page was to input the waypoint I.D.

You may have found a cache that hasn't been approved yet. It may not be approved if it is so close to another cache. Unless one of them is a multi cache.

Being a multi maybe another reason you can't find the cache page. The final coordinates are not listed.

39197_2100.gif

Do not extend your expectations unto others, you will not be disappointed by the stupid things they do.

Mokita!

it might even be a stage of a multicache already listed. Since the approvers only know the location of the 1st stage, they wouldnt know it was only 40ft from another cache. The 1st stage would be the listed coordinates, and that could be miles away. Was there any sort of contact info? A user name or email address? Maybe even a cache name on the box?

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

On the multi cache point. I accidentally found the final stage of a multi cache while searching for the final stage of another. So neither cache was listed in the park that they ended in. Both were within 40 yards. The only way I identified the other cache was by the name in the log book.

39197_2100.gif

Do not extend your expectations unto others, you will not be disappointed by the stupid things they do.

Mokita!

Thanks for all the great answers. As you can tell I'm a newbe.

As for the log sheet. Yes there was one. No name that I can remember. As it was a 35mm container nothing else was in there. I was the first to sign the log. There was a tell tale sign. The log sheet had a hole puched out in the shape of a snail.

I did some searching for multi caches and micros but I didn't find any close to that one. The owner might not have posted it yet. Keep an eye out.

Screen.jpg

As you can tell I was bored. The top green dot is where the cache is that you went to find. No other caches were close by including multi caches.

The early bird gets the worm, but the 2nd mouse gets the cheese.

Well, Mopar contacted me after an apparent conversation with Marky thinking the cache might have been mine, but if it's anywhere near Ohlone Water Source, it isn't one of mine. That assumption may have been based on the fact that the logsheet had been stamped. My stamp is in the shape of a pile of rocks, but the snail stamp might be Tammy the Dog's. Last time I mentioned finding a snail stamp on a logsheet was my visit on 12/6/2002 of the Roy Avenue Cache. I was the 10th visitor, so it should be easy to track down from there...

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

Well, that leaves that one out. I just had another idea. dadgum, I must be bored for putting all this effort into a cache 3000 miles away! icon_biggrin.gif

So what's your idea, Mopar (she said)?

-------------------------------------

Becky Davis

San Jose, CA

Kid-carrying cacher

quote:
Originally posted by GeoROCKS!:

Well, Mopar contacted me after an apparent conversation with Marky thinking the cache might have been mine, but if it's anywhere near Ohlone Water Source, it isn't one of mine. That assumption may have been based on the fact that the logsheet had been stamped. My stamp is in the shape of a pile of rocks, but the snail stamp might be Tammy the Dog's.

For some reason, I thought the snail punch was yours. I don't recall if Tammie the dog punches the logs on hers before she puts them out.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:

Well, that leaves that one out. I just had another idea. dadgum, I must be bored for putting all this effort into a cache 3000 miles away! icon_biggrin.gif

Then there is the issue of there being some kind of weird cache near this cache of mine. It's apparently close enough to be found from my coords. I thought that was strange.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:
Originally posted by Marky:

quote:

Then there is the issue of there being some kind of weird cache near http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=48325 of mine. It's apparently close enough to be found from my coords. I thought that was strange.

--Marky

Got me, Marky! There are 12 letterboxes listed in that county, but none that appear to be in the same park as yours. Dont see any new multicaches in the area either. I think more info from that last finder is needed!

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

I think all of you convinced me why it is possible to find a cache that isn't registered.

I told you all I know. Unless you want me to go back and perform an average waypoint and then give you the coordinates.

The approver / dis-approver should then tell the owner to remove it.

If it isn't removed, is there a guideline to how long we leave it there before it becomes trash?

quote:
Originally posted by coinprospector:

If it isn't removed, is there a guideline to how long we leave it there before it becomes trash?

I think that depends on how long its owner goes without checking it(and if they plan on doing so). But first, you will need to figure out who placed it(the cache).

Somewhat related thread from Feb 18th.

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

It would be a nice option if archived caches could be looked up in a search of some sort. Have you asked an admin about checking the archive, I am sure they could do so from the coords. When checking the profile of a cacher and seeing they hid 10 caches but you only see 6, I often wonder what and where the other caches were and why they were archived. This would be a plus when placing a new cache in an area to see if there were problems, but may stiffle creativity.

Car37 & Shnde

quote:

+ _Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon. _

That idea didn't pan out either. I do live far away, but I know lots of cachers in the area, so I've been bugging them for help icon_smile.gif

One remembered seeing a snail punchout in a certain log, so I checked people who had logged the cache before them. Few logs down I found a cacher named "SnailTeam"! That seemed like a good choice, so I emailed them, but they replied the cache is not theirs.

The biggest problem here is it doesn't look like it was an active cache that was archived, it appears to be a cache that was never even approved, since the log had no other signatures in it. It's even possible it was never even submitted. There is a local cacher to me who hid a cache, then accidently deleted the waypoint before submitting it. It was several months before he went back and got the coordinates for it. It's possible something like that happened here. Or the nearby cache showed up around the same time, so the hider with the micro never bothered to submit it. The key seems to be the snail punch. How common can that be in San Jose, CA?

I hadn’t seen this idea listed

Could it be a MOC? I’ve done that before myself, Put out a new cache and then a new MOC not to far away so Charter Members could get a 2 for 1. Course mine was about a mile away in the same park not 40 feet…

I see you’re not a charter member so you of not been able to see it listed.

This Isn't rocket science...

587_1100.jpg

Not the problem here, but I saw two caches in Davis, CA that were only about 50 feet apart because they had been unknowingly simultaneously created. Both caches were approved because the approver(s) did not realize another nearby cache was pending.

I'm sure that the snail punch in the South Bay is the work of a single cacher or caching team. The only punched snails I've seen have only been in Marky's film canister caches (not implying any connection to Marky), of which Tammy has laid a few, but I don't read every page in the standard logs so may have missed some. Marky, as one of the first to find, do you recall if you saw the snail punch in the Tree Bee micro? Oh, and I knew that SnailTeam wasn't the snail punch team and didn't mention it as their M.O. is to leave empty snail shells in caches, but forgot the fact that a cacher 3000 miles away might not know that!!

I've forgotten several times to put the cache details and contact info on cache logsheets myself. Perhaps this is a lesson to be learned by all.

quote:
I'm sure that the snail punch in the South Bay is the work of a single cacher or caching team. The only punched snails I've seen have only been in Marky's film canister caches (not implying any connection to Marky), of which Tammy has laid a few, but I don't read every page in the standard logs so may have missed some. Marky, as one of the first to find, do you recall if you saw the snail punch in the Tree Bee micro? Oh, and I knew that SnailTeam wasn't the snail punch team and didn't mention it as their M.O. is to leave empty snail shells in caches, but forgot the fact that a cacher 3000 miles away might not know that!!

I've forgotten several times to put the cache details and contact info on cache logsheets myself. Perhaps this is a lesson to be learned by all.

GeoRocks and Mopar:

My Merry Christmas Cache #1, which is very close to home (and maybe 20 miles from the mystery cache), has a snail shell AND snail punchie in it. I will go look in there today if it is not too wet around the area and see if I can figure out who left the punchie.

Stay tuned!

-------------------------------------

Becky Davis

San Jose, CA

Kid-carrying cacher

quote:

I went back and signed the log of the registered cache. I know this is correct one becuase the log was wet.

For me the case is closed. But for others....

Who owns the mystery snail punched micro cache.

Now ya gonna go back and change the March 8th log to a note? icon_biggrin.gif

"The approver / dis-approver should then tell the owner to remove it."

Unless it's not affiliated with geocaching.com. Remember, Groundspeak owns geocaching.com: they don't own geocaching.

What's to say it isn't a cache independent of Groundspeak?

Frankly, I'm all for "underground" caches. You may lose the credit on this wonderful website (and this is in no way meant to be a criticism of Groundspeak or geocaching.com cause I think they're great) but it certainly opens up possibilities for ways to play the game.

And I love the idea of trying to track down coordinates to caches that few other people have found, simply because they didn't come up in their "caches within 100 miles of me" search.

Anyway. That's my two bits.

X is for X, and X marks the spot, On the rug in the parlor, The sand in the lot, Where once you were standing, And now you are not.

We have recently started leaving a trademark item of sorts at caches we DNF. We made up these "official DNF cache"s with a DNF log sheet for others that didn't find the cache. Then, the first person who finds both the DNF cache and the real cache gets to keep the cache including all the DNF logs on the DNF logsheet as a momento of their caching prowess. We place the DNF cache as close to where we zero out as possible, so that it will be likely to be found by other cachers looking for the same cache. The official DNF stash note starts out with: "We zeroed out here (in more ways that one)..."

--Marky

quote:
Originally posted by enfanta:

"The approver / dis-approver should then tell the owner to remove it."

Unless it's not affiliated with geocaching.com. Remember, Groundspeak owns geocaching.com: they don't own geocaching.

What's to say it isn't a cache independent of Groundspeak?

Frankly, I'm all for "underground" caches. You may lose the credit on this wonderful website (and this is in no way meant to be a criticism of Groundspeak or geocaching.com cause I think they're great) but it certainly opens up possibilities for ways to play the game.

quote:
Originally posted by Car37 & Shnde:

Have you looked it up on Navicache???? I think there are a few other also that I have seen caches posted there and not on geocaching.com.

Go back and read the first post:

quote:

The cache is clearly marked with the geocache.com letter. It is not listed on the web site. But it is close 40 feet of another cache. I emailed the owner of the listed cache and asked about the one I found. The reply was it didn't sound like the one he/she planted.

Should I log it as a found / lost cache? How do I do that?

quote:

We have recently started leaving a trademark item of sorts at caches we DNF. We made up these "official DNF cache"s with a DNF log sheet for others that didn't find the cache. Then, the first person who finds both the DNF cache and the real cache gets to keep the cache including all the DNF logs on the DNF logsheet as a momento of their caching prowess. We place the DNF cache as close to where we zero out as possible, so that it will be likely to be found by other cachers looking for the same cache. The official DNF stash note starts out with: "We zeroed out here (in more ways that one)..."

--Marky

Wow. My first thought was "this sounds cool!"

That thought was quickly replaced with "Is this geolitter?"

I did not reread when I posted and was surprised when it did get posted because it got snagged for review. If it is not a listed geocache that will not be approved then it should be picked up and disposed with. There are a few here that I have picked up or taken over when the owners had moved and archived the cache but left it in place. If the owner/cache page cannot be found, retreive it. Let an admin know if need be or if the cache page is archived but you can get to it, post a note.

We have recently started leaving a trademark item of sorts at caches we DNF. We made up these "official DNF cache"s with a DNF log sheet for others that didn't find the cache. Then, the first person who finds both the DNF cache and the real cache gets to keep the cache including all the DNF logs on the DNF logsheet as a momento of their caching prowess.

Unquote

I don't understand this, if you don't find the cache but someone else does then they can keep the cache??? I also don't like the idea of leaving geolitter because you could not find the cache, it like tearing up the country side looking for the cache.

[This message was edited by Car37 & Shnde on March 17, 2003 at 04:22 PM.]

Could also be someone who hid it left this site and went to another due to one reason or another. Not naming names but I know of at least one who has pulled all of his caches here and has just left them posted to the other. I prefer this site tho myself for Canada, but the cache may have been archived here but still active there. Does not hurt to check everything especially if you do not want to pick up someone elses cache. I do not condone geotrash at all.

Car37 & Shnde

quote:

--Marky

Marky, Dude! Isnt that just a bit pompous, YOU dont find it so YOU leave a different cache in the general area????? I'm sorry but what is a new person supposed to think when they find it. Perhaps just logging a Not Found might work?

Just MHO

Lapaglia icon_cool.gif

Muga Muchu (forget yourself, focus)

quote:

Go back and read the first post:

quote:

_The cache is clearly marked with the geocache.com letter._ It is not listed on the web site. But it is close 40 feet of another cache. I emailed the owner of the listed cache and asked about the one I found. The reply was it didn't sound like the one he/she planted.

This is probly a dumb question but, Does the stash note name this (gc.com) site?? Im asking because haven't people taken and edited the note to include their own emails address and/or cache websites? Maybe that happened in this case too? icon_confused.gif

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by welch:

This is probly a dumb question but, Does the stash note name this (gc.com) site?? Im asking because haven't people taken and edited the note to include their own emails address and/or cache websites? Maybe that happened in this case too? icon_confused.gif

Actually, it's probably a valid question, depending on what Coinprospector's deffinition of "clearly" in "clearly marked with the geocache.com letter" is.

My definition would be it specifically mentions gc.com by name.

quote:
Originally posted by Car37 & Shnde:

I did not reread when I posted and was surprised when it did get posted because it got snagged for review. If it is not a listed geocache that will not be approved then it should be picked up and disposed with. There are a few here that I have picked up or taken over when the owners had moved and archived the cache but left it in place. If the owner/cache page cannot be found, retreive it. Let an admin know if need be or if the cache page is archived but you can get to it, post a note.

And in the cases where the cache is listed on a different site/service, what then? Perhaps you have removed a cache that was actuall active!