Here's a pict. of the $60,000 GPS used to save miners

bradtal

Hey All-

After following the discussion about the $60,000 GPS accurate to a cm (I can picture the logs now... "Found cache under 3rd leaf on the right..." or "How can I make my GPS display out to the 9th decimal place?" icon_smile.gif, I found a picture online of the unit...

PS. I think the guy on the right is reaching for the geocache before his buddy looks down and sees it... icon_biggrin.gif

Or, he's saying, "Acording to the GPS, the cache should be right here...."

[This message was edited by bradtal on August 01, 2002 at 03:47 PM.]

[This message was edited by bradtal on August 01, 2002 at 03:57 PM.]

The unit shown in the at the mine site photo above is a Trimble 4600 LS connected to TSC1 Survey Controller.

If you wish to achieve sub-centimetre accuracy using GPS, I would suggest you invest in a degree Geomatics prior to investing in the equipment.

4600LSPDT.jpg

Trimble 4600 LS

TSCCUPDT.jpg

TSC1 Survey Controller

Hate to burst anybodies bubble but that's really only half the story.

That gear pictured "by it self" is basically not all that much more accurate than any standard SPS type reciever.

There's much more to things than one simply sees pictured as without it's mate or other reference hardware it really doesn't do all that much.

Cheers, Kerry.

I never get lost icon_smile.gif everybody keeps telling me where to go icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Kerry:

Hate to burst anybodies bubble but that's really only half the story.

Kerry, that is what I meant in my post. You should invest in a degree in Geomatics, before the equipment. You don't need a GPSr to achieve sub-centimetre accuracy, you need a Land Surveyor!

MrG, yeah I saw you were on the ball icon_wink.gif just needed to head off what appears to be some mis-conceptions. As I've said else where without the underground surveys being right the whole ending might have been totally different. The end result was ONLY ever going to be as good as the underground information available.

That's one of the problems with some of this equipment one can "teach" anyone how to push buttons but the real requirement is in "knowing" the mechanics icon_wink.gif

Cheers, Kerry.

I never get lost icon_smile.gif everybody keeps telling me where to go icon_wink.gif