Vote for Avatar to Win the Hand Painted Rock

hikemeister

OK, there have been no new posts for 48 hrs to the topic of winning a hand painted rock with your avatar on it. That means that 30 days was WAY too long for this item to be out there, and that it is near time to vote.

Please follow these procedures to make your vote count:

(1) review again the 101 avatars that were posted up to September 07 under the topic "Free Hand Painted Rock with Your Avatar"

(2) select the one that you think is most creative, unique, appealing, whatever

(3) cast your vote by leaving a post in response to this topic -- but here is the key --

post the vote only between now (September 8, 2003, 630 PM EST) and 48 hrs from now (September 10, 630 PM EST).

I will tally up the results and do the following:

(1) Create four (4) Avatar Rocks. I will select particularly nice rocks from the local reef and attempt to capture the images as clearly as possible -- again, I won't do photographs.

(2) Mail three (3) Avatar Rocks -- one to the Avatars getting the most, second most, and third most votes in the poll. I will only mail in the USA, so sorry folks outside the USA, but what can I say -- I'm going to spend my time on this, but not money to mail rocks overseas.

(3) Mail the 4th Avatar Rock, to the 4th place winner, by "Geo Mail" -- in other words, I will find a rock with a natural hole in it and make this item a travel bug. It will find its way to the winner based on instructions I will write up on its web page.

When the four winning entries are selected, I will email these folks to get their mailing addresses, and also will post the winners along with photos of the rocks that I create in a future posting on this site.

Hikemeister

Ready......set..................GO !!

quote:
Originally posted by Snoogans:

There's a full frame pic of Carleenp's avatar. It is half way down the page on http://ubbx.Groundspeak.com/6/ubb.x?q=Y&a=tpc&s=5726007311&f=4016058331&m=17160977&p=2 Whoops. Gave away my vote. icon_biggrin.gif

I had a couple in mind that I thought were really cool. Then I looked at carleenp's full frame pic and said "WHOA"... actually said something completely different but I don't think it would translate well here.... icon_wink.gif

No wonder her Pikachu is so happy! icon_smile.gif

Let me save you a step.

icon_smile.gif

---------------------------------------------------

Free your mind and the rest will follow action-smiley-076.gif

OK, mine is not original. I AM a Pisces though. It belongs to the Nitrofish Racing Team. I am a huge racing fan (especially NHRA) and they are an underdog that's fun to root for.

I have gotten several emails from people that saw one on something that was on display at Wally-World and thought of me immediately. My sisters (geocachers, MtnFrog & JusMeLP) call it a "Snoogans' Fish." Just for the record, it's a NITROFISH.

It would be cool to have any of their designs painted on a rock if I win. I have spent hundreds on their merchandise. It would be cool to have something that no one else has.

Take a look at the 4/13 pics on this TB of mine. You might recognize a few famous NHRA faces.

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

texasgeocaching_sm.gif Sacred cows make the best hamburger....Mark Twain.

[This message was edited by Snoogans on September 08, 2003 at 05:27 PM.]

Well...I couldn't make up my mind, and I didn't feel right voting for myself so I let my seven year old daughter do the dirty work. She really liked Carleenp's avatar, thought it was really cool. So Carleenp gets the vote.

GF

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

logo_small.jpg

Wow, this was much tougher than I thought. I had a list of about fifteen that I'd love to see as travel bugs!

With much debate and great regret that I had to pare down the list, I vote for (in no particular order):

JoeFrog - cuz frogs belong on rocks, too

Team LightFoot

Kiplynn & Gladius - but they have to tell us the entire frozen piranha story if they win

Snoogans

What a cool contest, and what a cool person you are to offer to paint four and make one into a bug (now that would be a great TB to find, eh?)!

I have to vote for Carleenp, the full avatar. That's hot. Oh God I need a woman, I'm thinking a cartoon is hot.

second vote for Bria-team A.I.

third for tomebug

If you get lost while geocaching, don't worry. Someone else will get lost while geocaching and find you. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by WVDan:

I have to vote for Carleenp, the full avatar. That's hot. Oh God I need a woman, I'm thinking a cartoon is hot.

To quote the great Wayne Campbell: (Mike Myers)

Regarding one Mrs. Betty Rubble,

"She may be a cartoon, but she's still a babe."

quote:
Originally posted by hikemeister:

I will only mail in the USA, so sorry folks outside the USA, but what can I say -- I'm going to spend my time on this, but not money to mail rocks overseas.

Hey, I could have paid for that, and I also have friends in the US, but guess I was out of the game in the first place.

If my vote is still eligible, I definitely want to give it to El Diablo.

- I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory. -

I just have to vote for any avatar with Rock in it's name therefore: No particular order,

1. 2oldfarts theROCKhounders

2. MercROCKS icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the chance R

Without your brain, a map is a piece of coloured paper, a compass is a glorified magnet, and a GPS is a waterproof battery case." " Foothills SAR "

quote:
Originally posted by Corp Of Discovery:

Here are our votes in order:

I've got a travel bug with your, em, "likeness" out in the world. Check out the Silver Kahuna.

My vote is for the Lone Duck -- I've had many a chuckle for that one!

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

quote:
Originally posted by leatherman:

_Nitro Fish is copyrighted, I'm sure

Yes, you are quite right. However, an artist can reproduce one (1) copy of a copyrighted subject without fear of recourse. I learned this from a commercial artist in Monterey Ca. He had painted Mickey Mouse into one of his most expensive works and I asked him how he could do THAT without official license. I believe even Carleenp might know this law.

I believe rock art would qualify as long as they are not mass produced.

quote:
Originally posted by Huntnlady:

Won't anyone vote for me? Pleasssse? Okay, I will vote for me first, Renegade Knight second.

I already voted for Carleenp's avatar, but since this is becoming a compliment fest; I have always liked yours and RK's. I am a big Sci-Fi buff and TotemLake's avatar is a real fav of mine.

I miss Mountain Mudbug's x-ray pic (Was that Steve-O, or Johnny Knoxville?) and BrianSnat's short lived snaggle toothed trailer park dude.

quote:
This time I gotta go for carleenp. When she first came up with that avitar I even PM'd her. That she had to good taste to not respond is all the better.

My avitar is a modified photo. Per the rules I'm out of the running.

When I first changed it, I got several emails. I wrote each back with a "thank you" and an explaination that the avatar is from a collectible statue based on Jill Thompson's Death manga. I think I didn't write back to you because you didn't include your email. So, maybe the good taste comment is wrong although my reply would have been simple and in good taste! icon_smile.gif

I would have added your avatar to my vote list, but didn't because of your comment that you are out of the running because it is a photo.

pokeanim3.gif

quote:
Originally posted by carleenp:

...an explaination that the avatar is from a collectible statue based on Jill Thompson's Death manga.

Thanks for explaining that, I had always wondered but never asked... Since you metioned the artist, I invoked the all powerful 'Google gods' and found these:

thompson_3.jpgthompson_4.gif

Jill Thompson even has a website

---------------------------------------------------

Free your mind and the rest will follow action-smiley-076.gif

[This message was edited by Doc-Dean on September 10, 2003 at 05:51 AM.]

If you can't use Renegade Knight, I'll change my vote to Snoogans. Sorry, Carleen, never cared for manga. Just srikes me as unAmerican. Don't like all the squealing and whining, (from the video soundtrack,) when my kids watch those videos either.

Ever consider what our dogs must think of us? I mean, here we come back from a grocery store with the most amazing haul -- chicken, pork, half a cow. They must think we're the greatest hunters on earth!

http://www.geocities.com/cacheinon

quote:
Sorry, Carleen, never cared for manga. Just srikes me as unAmerican.

No problem. Everyone has their own tastes. I will note though that anime and manga are not necessarily unAmerican. Yes, they generally originate in Japan, but (particularly with manga) it is also a specific art form. The Japanese also often incorporate some general interest with other cultures into their work. I haven't run into much anti-American ideas in manga or anime. But because they generally come from Japan, yes they are not from America. I will add that Jill Thompson is American. American animation (which I also like) is starting to learn and copy some things from anime as well.

quote:
Don't like all the squealing and whining, (from the video soundtrack,) when my kids watch those videos either.

With some anime (whether in English or Japanese), this is something that I agree with. Unfortunately I tend to also agree at times with American animation, although it is often better about that. icon_smile.gif

Edit: Ack! that was way off topic. So if anyone really feels like discussing the American influences in Japanese anime and manga and the Japanese influence in American works, it is probably better to email! I'm not counting on much interest there though! icon_smile.gif

pokeanim3.gif

[This message was edited by carleenp on September 10, 2003 at 06:18 PM.]

You are going to be shocked Snoogans, but I haven't seen it yet! I've bought it, but haven't got there yet. I just feel like I don't want to watch it until I have time to see it all at once. I did see one downloaded from the internet (can't remember which) and was very impressed. I know that some of the best in anime were involved in the Animatrix.

pokeanim3.gif

quote:
Originally posted by carleenp:

I've bought it, but haven't got there yet.

I did the same thing. I had it over 6 weeks and then popped in the soundtrack on the way home from NM. WOW! I watched it before work the next morning.

I still haven't seen Reloaded. That was what I HAD been waiting for.

quote:
Thanks for explaining that, I had always wondered but never asked...

You should also know that the Death character came from the Sandman comic series written by Neal Gaiman. The Jill Thompson manga is a good stand alone read, but if the person is not familiar with Sandman, they will miss alot of inside references. The story in the Death Manga takes place during The Sandman: Season of the Mists.

Now, to get this back on topic. Thanks for offering this contest! It has been really fun. I love seeing all the avatars that people come up with. Even the ones that freak me out, like Briansnat's creepy toothy guy!

pokeanim3.gif