What is your best caching experience?

Xitron

I've been reading alot of negative posts lately and thought I'd start a different thread. This is really in response to a post I saw where someone was dismayed about the way the forums where going. So what I want to know is what is the best/funniest/interesting cache you have ever done. There are no restrictions here, if you had the most fun on a 1/1 cache or a 5/5 I want to hear about it. If you found it interesting for any reason I want to hear about it. To start things off, I once slipped down a cliff about 5' but my GPSr fell about 25' and landed right in front of the cache that I had spent about 30 minutes trying to find.

Next

I think for me and my family (especially my 4 year old was last wednesday when we were working on the Quadrants series. We hiked to the end of a trail only to find out that they were bird watching that day at the peak. They happened to catch a sharp-shinned hawk while we were there. Me and my 4 year old got to realease it back into the wild after the weight and tagged it. That was pretty neat to be able to hold a wild bird and watch it fly out of our hands.

quote:
Originally posted by Sax Man's Wife:

I think for me and my family (especially my 4 year old was last wednesday when we were working on the Quadrants series. We hiked to the end of a trail only to find out that they were bird watching that day at the peak. They happened to catch a sharp-shinned hawk while we were there. Me and my 4 year old got to realease it back into the wild after the weight and tagged it. That was pretty neat to be able to hold a wild bird and watch it fly out of our hands.

That would be so cool to do, better then ducking flying ammo cans even.

Doc maybe you should not post till you've read your post a second time lol. What if the wife is looking over your shoulder?

My two best caching experiences have occurred on the last two Father’s Days. On each of those days my son Fraser and I went Adventure Geocaching. Father's Day 2002 was a canoe adventure to Treasure Island. Father's Day 2003 was a 4 x 4 adventure to “Bulldoze my caches thru the hotsprings at night”. Both of those trips were truly magical. I am now hoping that these Father’s Day adventures will become a regular tradition for my son and me.

I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me. geol4.JPG

I guess that I don't have a "best", but luckily I don't have a "worst", either. The night cache I did Monday night was one of the best, though.

I enjoy doing family caches, but they have to be short distance. My family can climb a cliff or valley, but not more than a few hundred feet from the car.

I also enjoy solo caching, especially long hikes, challanging terrain, clever hides. The wildlife is plentiful and fun to watch. (I could do without all the bugs they have here!)

Even a few vituals and benchmarks are memorable.

DustyJacket

Not all those that wander are lost. But in my case... icon_biggrin.gif

I've only logged a little over 40 finds. Every cache I've logged has been fun (there's no such thing as an "unfun" cache in my view) but two of them were especially satisfying. Gold Country Challenge and The Pines of Roam. That's because they are both products of creative imgination and required a lot of work to produce. The hunt for "Newt's Place" left me sitting in a very cold creek, just below a waterfall, after a slip on the rocks. My wife, who is also a frequent geocaching partner, found that humorous - I was not laughing. icon_redface.gif

"Today's truth remains valid only as long as it withstands the test of tomorrow's discoveries" - George Hicks

There are so many great experiences, all of which are collected on my profile page in "The Leprechauns' Top 10% Greatest Cache Hunts." The highlights include:

-- Finding my first hydrocache, done at night, at Cranberry Osprey Geocache last weekend.

-- Receiving my first Moun10Bike geocoin from Moun10Bike himself at Ebey Bluffs cache on Whidbey Island, Washington State.

-- A challenging 44-cache weekend trying to keep up with CCCooperAgency, with my 400th find being bagged in the dark, in a swamp, at Tricky Trio.

-- Learning how to do night caching without fear, from an expert on the subject, The Lil Otter.

-- Spending a day in a hot California canyon finding (and not finding) caches hidden by the devilish OtisPug.

-- A fun four-wheel drive trip to explore the abandoned stone mines at Casparis, where the picture on my profile page was taken. Or, doing any other geocache by Quest Master, the best hider in Southwestern Pennsylvania.

-- Finding five caches rated Terrain 3 or above, along with a whole pile of others, during a trip across the state with Quest Master, Tonsil and SlimJim28 to attend an event cache.

-- For that matter, attending ANY event cache and seeing my friends from across the state.

-- Organizing a successful CITO event cache that led to a much-improved relationship with the state parks in my area.

-- But, if I had to pick just ONE high point, it would have to be watching my daughter (8 years old at the time) climbing up a mountainside to log our 100th find at Thousand Steps Cache. Look at the sense of accomplishment on her face in the photo below. THAT is what geocaching is all about for me.

633468_600.jpg