Charity? What to do.

iryshe

Ok, here's the issue.

The State Quarters cache, which I believe was originally just "take a state quarter, leave a state quarter" cache became a kind of charity cache. Once the quarters were placed they would be gathered and donated to a charity.

I've been having a conversation with a geocacher who believes this cache should be archived since the owner has not indicated donating the money. The geocacher tried to contact the owner with no response (after adequate time allowed to respond).

What should be done in this case? I can archive it (easily), but the cache will still be there.

I'm concerned with charity caches in general. It makes no sense to me to leave money out in the woods, and hope the owner is honest enough to hand it to a charity. There are obviously other ways to give to a community/org. It's one of many reasons why we have policies on this sort of cache.

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

No offense to the folks with good intentions, but I don't believe that this cache should be allowed.

Like you said, there are better ways to donate to a charity if you really feel the need.

And, it isn't that I don't trust the person that claims to make the donations, but the cache is only going to lead to questions and suspicion, imho. Apparently, it already has, since you posted about it here.

And despite everyone probably having good intentions, there is always going to be someone that wants to throw a stick into the wheel... someone is bound to plunder the cache, leading to hurt feelings for all. Heck, people steal 'worthless' caches - why wouldn't someone go and loot this one?

I hate 'rules' being applied to the hobby - but some rules, possibly prohibiting caches like this, seem more like they just prevent any problems before they start.

Any opinions on my opinion are appreciated. icon_wink.gif

Rubbertoe - Webcam - Image Archives

--== http://www.bigfoot.com/~rbatina ==--

No offense to the folks with good intentions, but I don't believe that this cache should be allowed.

Like you said, there are better ways to donate to a charity if you really feel the need.

And, it isn't that I don't trust the person that claims to make the donations, but the cache is only going to lead to questions and suspicion, imho. Apparently, it already has, since you posted about it here.

And despite everyone probably having good intentions, there is always going to be someone that wants to throw a stick into the wheel... someone is bound to plunder the cache, leading to hurt feelings for all. Heck, people steal 'worthless' caches - why wouldn't someone go and loot this one?

I hate 'rules' being applied to the hobby - but some rules, possibly prohibiting caches like this, seem more like they just prevent any problems before they start.

Any opinions on my opinion are appreciated. icon_wink.gif

I guess my opinion is that if the owner is unresponsive the cache should be archived regardless of what type of cache it is. I would hope that anyone who actually does leave money out in the woods and hopes the owner will be honest with it knows that that's what they're doing, but I think I agree that a charity cache just doesn't make any sense (why not just give the money to your own charity, cut out the middle man, and take the tax deduction?)

The real reason I'm posting is that I wonder what the policies on these things actually are, and whether they're spelled out anywhere. Our Quarter Pounder travel bug is similar, but the charity aspect of it is only an "end of life" thing for the far-off date when its travels are done, just so we have something to do with all the remaining quarters that doesn't feel like stealing from the cachers who put them there.

warm.gif

What's the time frame for "time to respond?" The week before the 11th was the week of the 4th. Due to vacation, etc., two weeks in July may not be an adequate period of time to respond. Personally, I'll be out of touch for 2 1/2 weeks later in August.

If the cacher with the concern wishes, he/she can go to this event and talk with the charity cache owner in person.

From an administrative standpoint, I don't know if one concerned cacher is enough to deactivate a cache. Multiple complaints over months would be an entirely different story. However, if this cache violates any geocaching policy, you should, IMHO, feel free to disable it and ask the owner to change the cache back to the original intent and remove the charity option.

Personally, I wouldn't be inclined to donate to a charity by leaving money in a bucket in the woods, but if I did leave a dollar or so, I wouldn't be upset (or surprised, for that matter) if it walked away. It's your call, Jeremy. That's why you get paid the big bucks. icon_wink.gif

-Craig/TeamCNJC

... Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took off through the thorns, chest high, ...

What's the time frame for "time to respond?" The week before the 11th was the week of the 4th. Due to vacation, etc., two weeks in July may not be an adequate period of time to respond. Personally, I'll be out of touch for 2 1/2 weeks later in August.

If the cacher with the concern wishes, he/she can go to this event and talk with the charity cache owner in person.

From an administrative standpoint, I don't know if one concerned cacher is enough to deactivate a cache. Multiple complaints over months would be an entirely different story. However, if this cache violates any geocaching policy, you should, IMHO, feel free to disable it and ask the owner to change the cache back to the original intent and remove the charity option.

Personally, I wouldn't be inclined to donate to a charity by leaving money in a bucket in the woods, but if I did leave a dollar or so, I wouldn't be upset (or surprised, for that matter) if it walked away. It's your call, Jeremy. That's why you get paid the big bucks. icon_wink.gif

-Craig/TeamCNJC

I agree that for future planning, there's no point to having a charity cache ... there are better and less risky ways to provide for the needy.

As for "The U.S. State Quarter Exchange", The_Mariner seems to be an active geocacher (although it's strange that he has a cache that was hidden on July 18, 2002? ... ah ... event cache). Surely he can be asked to revert this cache to a traditional exchange cache without archiving it. In case he hasn't checked his email lately, try contacting adventuretom (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/default.asp?A=11154) whom The_Mariner claims intoduced him to the activity.

If you’re taking a quarter and leaving a quarter, the actual monetary amount will remain the same, thusly, no profit can be made.

As a side note, too many rules and too much rigidity will confuse some of us. Keep it as simple as possible. Just my opinion.

BTW, you still haven’t been down to the harbor to the Galloping Gertie cache yet………..

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

What is the price of experience, do men buy it for a song,

Or wisdom for a dance in the street.................

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy (Admin):...snipped...The geocacher tried to contact the owner with no response (after adequate time allowed to respond).

The only log I see on the page that is an indication of when the geocacher tried to contact the owner was on July 11 and he said "last week". Well, that isn't much time at all! Like on other poster said, it is summer and lots of folks are no where near a computer. Give the guy a month to reply and then figure out what you want to do.

It is of some note though, that $78 has been harvested and none donated. But the last harvest was in February, after a steady harvesting of donations.

Give the owner more time to reply if you wish but let people decide on their own whether or not they want to donate.

[ ]

quote:
Originally posted by TeamCNJC:

I'm out of reach for weeks at a time myself, just not lately.

TCNJC, there is a little "Temporarily disable this cache" toggle that you have access to from the edit menu.

How would you feel if you returned to find that your cache had been disabled in this way so that you could verify it's condition and report the results back to the page?

Seems like a fair compromise to me and would welcome the opportunity to be held accountable in this fashion.

I see zero reason to either archive or temporarily disable it. It's apparently still present. People are finding it. People are enjoying it. The problem is what ?

The way I read the cache page, people are "welcome" to leave more than a quarter, in which case the cacher claims to be willing to give the proceeds to charity.

Note that you're not required to do 'anything', including even the take-one leave-one quarter.

If it's so invasive that you don't trust the cacher, just log and leave. Sheesh...

I have a general problem with the new tendency toward 3rd-party archiving of caches, but I have a particular problem with suggesting archiving this cache is somehow especially warranted.

That's not cleaning up the database, that's (perceived) political correctness taken way overboard.

quote:
Originally posted by vds:

I see zero reason to either archive or temporarily disable it.

The way I read the cache page, people are "welcome" to leave more than a quarter, in which case the cacher claims to be willing to give the proceeds to charity.

I understand that, but what happens if/when the money just vanishes all of the sudden?

Cachers that have donated will be upset, possibly suspicious and accusing towards other cachers that have also visited that cache.

I know I'd feel sorry for the last person to have successfully logged a cache full of cash, only for another person to search and find it empty - or gone. icon_razz.gif You don't think people might look at the last person to log it with a little suspicion? It might not be right, but I probably would for a second or two... I think most of us would.

But along those lines - you are right, if it isn't required to leave money, and people are just doing it on their own will - I guess they've got nobody to blame but themselves if circumstances cause the money to vanish.

Like I said, I just think not having these types of caches would stop any potential problems before they ever appeared.

Perhaps if Jeremy and the powers that be don't like this kind of cache, perhaps it can still be included in another 'regular' cache... have a regular cache with coordinates for the 'donation cache' listed inside. That way the 'regular' cache could be listed here, and the donation cache would still exist.

Heh... sucks to be Jeremy at times like this I bet. icon_rolleyes.gif

quote:
Originally posted by vds:

I see zero reason to either archive or temporarily disable it.

I understand that, but what happens if/when the money just vanishes all of the sudden?

Cachers that have donated will be upset, possibly suspicious and accusing towards other cachers that have also visited that cache.

I know I'd feel sorry for the last person to have successfully logged a cache full of cash, only for another person to search and find it empty - or gone. icon_razz.gif You don't think people might look at the last person to log it with a little suspicion? It might not be right, but I probably would for a second or two... I think most of us would.

But along those lines - you are right, if it isn't required to leave money, and people are just doing it on their own will - I guess they've got nobody to blame but themselves if circumstances cause the money to vanish.

Like I said, I just think not having these types of caches would stop any potential problems before they ever appeared.

Perhaps if Jeremy and the powers that be don't like this kind of cache, perhaps it can still be included in another 'regular' cache... have a regular cache with coordinates for the 'donation cache' listed inside. That way the 'regular' cache could be listed here, and the donation cache would still exist.

quote:
Originally posted by Eric O'Connor:

How would you feel if you returned to find that your cache had been disabled in this way so that you could verify it's condition and report the results back to the page?

If one person had a concern over my cache because I hadn't been there to update it in a while, and I was given two weeks to respond before my cache was deactivated - I'd be pretty ticked. Especially since there are many caches out there that have gone unattended/unanswered for months.

If many people had complained, and it had been a month or more and nobody was able to contact me - I would probably be ticked, but would understand that there was a growing tide of concern over the cache. Like you, I would welcome the opportunity to be accountable to what I'm doing with my cache.

quote:
Originally posted by Rubbertoe:

Amen.

-Craig/TeamCNJC

quote:
Originally posted by Eric O'Connor:

If one person had a concern over my cache because I hadn't been there to update it in a while, and I was given two weeks to respond before my cache was deactivated - I'd be pretty ticked. Especially since there are many caches out there that have gone unattended/unanswered for months.

If many people had complained, and it had been a month or more and nobody was able to contact me - I would probably be ticked, but would understand that there was a growing tide of concern over the cache. Like you, I would welcome the opportunity to be accountable to what I'm doing with my cache.

quote:

Amen.

-Craig/TeamCNJC

A log on Dec 2, 2001 - just a week after the cache was placed - mentioned the charity angle. Also, from looking at the logs, most everything has been donated anyway - very few quarters actually going out. It ain't like the state quarters are hard to get. Anybody that puts money in will just have to trust it eventually goes into charity, much like when you give pocket change to the 'worthwhile causes' outside Wal-Mart. On the other hand, I have misgivings about continued allowance of charity caches. I fear they could get out of hand rather easily. (Don't even get me started on all the locationless 'caches')On a side note, I wonder what the homeless dude would say if he knew he'd been sleeping next to 80 bucks all this time!(or ever how much stays in it at any given time)

Ever notice everybody is willing to give THEIR 2 cents worth but only offer a penny for YOUR thoughts?

quote:

What happens when ANY cache disappears?

I personlly have no problem with this cache. It's kinda like loaning money to family or friends. You might as well consider it a gift. When I leave something out in the woods, whether it is a quarter, a WG.com dollar, or my favorite McToy, I pretty much don't have any further expectations.

I took the one less traveled by, ...

unclerojelio

quote:
Originally posted by unclerojelio:

[...When I leave something out in the woods, whether it is a quarter, a WG.com dollar, or my favorite McToy, I pretty much don't have any further expectations.

Yep. I'd like my cache item to go to another cacher. I know full well that it may go to someone who pilfered the cache or into a park ranger's litter bag or it may sit in the woods untouched until eternity ends. Those are the breaks.

If my quarter does for some uncharitable cause, I won't lose my faith in humanity or stop geocaching. Seems like a teapot tempest to me.

--

Wendy Chatley Green

wcgreen@eudoramail.com

I looked at the cache and if the owner didn't admit that he gave the excess to charity the cache would be 100% legit.

It's main purpose is and remains to be a state quarter exchange. However people tend to elave a quarter and call it a day. The owner can't control that. IF PEOPLE READ THE RULES of the cache there would be no problem. That they don't and the owner has found a solution and posted it should not be held against him.

My daugher has a cache that accumulates money and we thin it out every now and then. Since it's a foreign coin cache we can't donate the money and my daughter gets a kick out of the coins anyway. So it's a non issue.

As for contacting the cache onwer and archiving the cache if they don't respond. Any of 10,000? Members can do that. I'd be inclined to ignore most of those emails, esecially from concerned cachers butting in on how to run my cache. Not everyone knows the volunteers and owner of the site.

If you really need to lean on the cache owner, just ask them to take out the reference to what they do with the excess coinage. They can still thin it out and donate it as needed. After all it's the cachers that are causing him to have extra money.

Personally before I threw someone to the wolves in the forums I would send them an email asking them what was going on. John (The_Mariner) would have been glad to fill you in. Secondly, I would consider the source of the complaint. I would ask myself, what does this person have to gain with this complaint? Are they in fact helping to maintain the integrity of Geocaching or are they in fact just a backstabbing little weasel. Let's see, the person in question chooses to participate in none of our group activities. Considering how this person has acted in past, both to myself and other area cachers it is no surprise that they didn't get a fast response. We have an active local group of geocachers and have 20-30 people that meet each month to talk geocaching and keep a watch on the area. The_Mariner is always there and would talk to anyone about the issue. Our group polices the local area, monitors abandoned caches, places caches and in general tries to keep geocaching a true sport and not just a bunch of trash under stumps in the woods. If this person is so concerned why not come to one of our meetings? We have two in the next 10 days.

The Quarter exchange is in fact not in the woods but is in the business district of downtown Charlotte, a very short 5 minute walk from Johns office. It is also watched very closely and if either it was causing a problem or if the money (which is very small) became a problem it would have been dealt with. I will let John deal with the issue of quarter collection himself but I think the issue of charity caches is way overblown. I gave people an opportunity to contribute at one of mine. It never generated much in the way of donations and in fact gathered less than half what I wrote the first check for. I came to realize that it probably wasn't going to work, but peopled enjoyed the cache itself so I left the cache as is without the donation part. In reality, in an activity where a large majority of people leave junk in caches asking for donations is doomed to failure anyway. Should we have donation caches? Maybe, maybe not. I personally don't think they are viable, so in fact they will cease to exist on their own.

FWIW, had I not gotten an email today telling me to look at this, neither myself nor The_Mariner would likely have ever seen this discussion. Which goes back to my first point.

[This message was edited by adventuretom on July 16, 2002 at 03:39 PM.]

To respond to adventuretom's post, I did not request this topic be posted in the forums. I did email the Mariner 2 weeks ago asking for an update to the charity cache page. (I thought that was reasonable since I had given a modest donation). As far as missing the meetings, I travel frequently for work -this week I'm in Akron, OH- and cannot attend.

The only geocacher I have ever had a dispute with is YOU. Months ago.

Really. So what about the derogatory note (now deleted) you left on the State Quarter page and the fact that you even bothered to take it to Jeremy. Why did you do that?

If you want to participate we have meetings on both weekdays and weekends. We move them to accomodate everyone. You would be welcome to attend and comment or make suggestions or help. You accomplish nothing by sending notes to Jeremy behind the scenes.

If you have issues with me, I am always there.

Personally, I would prefer that no more charity caches be approved. I think it's opening a can of worms that the admins don't need to be spending their time sorting out. I'd rather Jeremy be working on interesting programming problems or other creative work, than settling petty disputes over less than $100.

That said, if I was in the area, I would visit the cache. Based on the information on the cache page, I would take n quarter(s) and leave n quarter(s). I wouldn't probably leave extra quarters. If I knew the cacher personally, I might leave extra quarters. However, if I knew them personally, I certainly wouldn't create trouble for them if they didn't donate them "quickly enough" to suit me.

I wish I could come up with a great way to say this, but to me, the bottom line is that I don't think you should ever put anything into a cache if you are going to be overly invested in what happens to it. For a travel bug, for example, I didn't choose my favorite teddy bear, I chose a bear that I thought was nice, but that I won't be devastated over if it gets lost.

I think if people are leaving things in caches that they are going to get upset about if they aren't handled in just the right way, they are making a mistake. If you're so concerned about the thing (money is a thing, just like anything else) keep it and handle it yourself. If the charity is legitimate (I'm sure it is) there is nothing stopping you from donating directly, right?

Shannah

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy (Admin):

Ok, here's the issue.

The http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=10838 cache, which I believe was originally just "take a state quarter, leave a state quarter" cache became a kind of charity cache. Once the quarters were placed they would be gathered and donated to a charity.

I've been having a conversation with a geocacher who believes this cache should be archived since the owner has not indicated donating the money. The geocacher tried to contact the owner with no response (after adequate time allowed to respond).

What should be done in this case? I can archive it (easily), but the cache will still be there.

I'm concerned with charity caches in general. It makes no sense to me to leave money out in the woods, and hope the owner is honest enough to hand it to a charity. There are obviously other ways to give to a community/org. It's one of many reasons why we have policies on this sort of cache.

Jeremy Irish

I've read all the posts till now and I don't see what the problem is.

What if the money isn't given to a charity? What if it is stolen? So what? Many seem to find it to be a fun thing to do with their very own money. There is no deceit in the cache desription, any who want to skip this cache may do so.

Give the cacher time to respond, we all get busy.

Is the cache neglected? Are people logging that it is empty or plundered? If not, how is it different from any other popular cache?

Some have expressed concern that charity caches may get to be a big problem. I doubt it. Besides, we're no where near that.

So, IMHO, leave it be, there's no harm done here.

Bluespreacher icon_smile.gif

"We've got the hardware and the software, the plans and the maps ..." -- Citizen Wayne Kramer

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy (Admin):

Ok, here's the issue.

The http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=10838 cache, which I believe was originally just "take a state quarter, leave a state quarter" cache became a kind of charity cache. Once the quarters were placed they would be gathered and donated to a charity.

Jeremy Irish

I've read all the posts till now and I don't see what the problem is.

What if the money isn't given to a charity? What if it is stolen? So what? Many seem to find it to be a fun thing to do with their very own money. There is no deceit in the cache desription, any who want to skip this cache may do so.

Give the cacher time to respond, we all get busy.

Is the cache neglected? Are people logging that it is empty or plundered? If not, how is it different from any other popular cache?

Some have expressed concern that charity caches may get to be a big problem. I doubt it. Besides, we're no where near that.

So, IMHO, leave it be, there's no harm done here.

Bluespreacher icon_smile.gif

"We've got the hardware and the software, the plans and the maps ..." -- Citizen Wayne Kramer

Archive it? Absolutely not! Its an active and frequently visited cache that obviously is tended by the owner. The primary purpose seems to be a coin exchange. The cache owner's mistake was mentioning what he did with the excess coins. If he simply pocketed them every few weeks, there would be no issue. Because he stated he was donating them to charity, then it's only natural that some people would start to wonder to what charity and how much.

It's no different from someone finding some nice items in their overstuffed cache and donating them to charity. The only difference is their not mentioning it on the cache page.

I'd say leave the cache, ask the owner to delete the references to charity and whatever he does with the excess money is his business.

If someone wants an accounting, they can e-mail the cache owner.

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

Yeah. Sometimes it sucks to be me. I get a lot of "someone (me) has to do something about xx" and the responsibility is put on my shoulders to take some kind of action.

I'm planning on updating the contact link so it has a list of suggestions as to what to do in situations where you have an issue with a particular cache. Keep in mind that if I can't come up with a satisfactory decision, it will end up in the forums. If I can't make a person happy, the conversation will end up in the forums. If you dispute a cache being listed (for whatever reason), it may end up in the forums. As this is a community activity, it is not up to me to make many decisions that concern geocachers.

Accusing me of throwing people to the wolves may be appropriate, but understand that the individual throwing you to the wolves is also a juicy piece of meat (me). At least I try to keep the conversation civil.

In this case, I don't have any issues with this specific cache. It doesn't point to any particular charity, and doesn't really break any rules. If there is an issue about how that money is spent, take it up with the cache owner, not me. They certainly could have claimed to donate the money to Jeremy's kids, but instead indicated they have not donated any money. Perhaps they are just waiting for a certain amount before passing it on.

At least the Red Cross doesn't have it.

Jeremy Irish

what if a cache werent designated for charity.. just a "please leave me money" type thing... i know that it makes controversy, but the point is this. everyone seems to get VERY upset with this cache or any other caches they dont like as though their mere existence were an offront to all things good and holy. so this is my take, dont go flaming on jeremy for every cache you dont absolutely love (im sure you have placed a few that suck, and if you havent placed any you really dont have any place judging those that have at least they put out the effort.) now i know there are some that should be removed, those that break the law and make the sport look bad (ie porn or weapons in caches... i think we have all seen these in the forums somewhere) other than that if you get to a cache and dont like it dont leave anything but a signature. unless im mistaken the coords dont take you out to the woods where a guy is waiting with a gun to rob you. maybe if you cant understand that this isnt the sport for you...

people, in general, people should just mind their own business. if a cache is posted that you dont like (ie virtual caches), no one is putting a gun to your head so just dont seek it. if you think someone is "ghosting" logs (logging w/o seeking) well this is a game of honor and when you have no evidence to question it, keep it to yourself. finally, some folks take themselves and games WAY to seriously. let me let you in on a little secret. its fun, its entertaining, its exercise, but there is no points for first place. get over yourselves. whining is ruins things for the rest of us. and if you dont like what i have said here, its my opinion and i am entitled to it. a small piece of advice for jeremy, dont let youyrself get sucked into every little pissing match and squabble that someone emails you about. it will give you a headache. if people think we need cache umpires, then go get some. i dont think we do. were all adults here. you would just never know it by the way we act sometimes

SR and dboggny. Oh man, my mother in law is here9372_700.gif

When I was a kid, my folks told me that the change in the fountains at the mall went to the March of Dimes. Now older and wiser, I realize that it goes into the night custodians' pockets. (I'm not accusing any cache owners- calm down!)

When you pitch your money into a box in the woods or into a fountain, you relinquish your claim of ownership. If you'd like to do this, knock yourself out- just be realistic that any future "charity caches" come with no guarantees- I wouldn't "donate."

BTW, at the Grand Canyon last summer I saw mounds of change that had been tossed from observation sites out onto inaccesable skinny buttes & rock spires. There had to be hundreds of dollars and coins from all over the world. Someone told this is an "Asian" (yeah- that narrows it down [:D] )custom for good luck at beautiful places- like pennies in fountains. Has anyone seen this other places, or can you enlighten me more on this custom?

When I was a kid, my folks told me that the change in the fountains at the mall went to the March of Dimes. Now older and wiser, I realize that it goes into the night custodians' pockets. (I'm not accusing any cache owners- calm down!)

When you pitch your money into a box in the woods or into a fountain, you relinquish your claim of ownership. If you'd like to do this, knock yourself out- just be realistic that any future "charity caches" come with no guarantees- I wouldn't "donate."

BTW, at the Grand Canyon last summer I saw mounds of change that had been tossed from observation sites out onto inaccesable skinny buttes & rock spires. There had to be hundreds of dollars and coins from all over the world. Someone told this is an "Asian" (yeah- that narrows it down [icon_wink.gif] )custom for good luck at beautiful places- like pennies in fountains. Has anyone seen this other places, or can you enlighten me more on this custom?

First, my credentials: I am a Vice President at a major bank as well as a Certified Public Accountant (also a member of the old geizer's club for those matured 40 years or more). The_Mariner can be described in two words: decent (honorable and respectable) and a true gentleman. The fact that his cache "U S Quarter Exchange" is being questioned regarding a contribution is sad for two reasons. One, it is upsetting to have someone suggest that any misappropriation of funds may have occurred. Secondly, if The_Mariner was thinking about getting out of geocaching, this may well be the proverbial straw! It begs the question "What is the accuser quilty of?" Often the accuser is the one with a guilty conscience. Especially when a true gentleman, The_Mariner in this case, always keeps his word. You must have a dull, boring life to be worried when, how much and "if" in your case, the donation will be made. Get a life. Brown-Eyed-Girl, happily married to The_Mariner a month shy of seven years. And he still opens my door for me icon_smile.gif.

First, my credentials: I am a Vice President at a major bank as well as a Certified Public Accountant (also a member of the old geizer's club for those matured 40 years or more). The_Mariner can be described in two words: decent (honorable and respectable) and a true gentleman. The fact that his cache "U S Quarter Exchange" is being questioned regarding a contribution is sad for two reasons. One, it is upsetting to have someone suggest that any misappropriation of funds may have occurred. Secondly, if The_Mariner was thinking about getting out of geocaching, this may well be the proverbial straw! It begs the question "What is the accuser quilty of?" Often the accuser is the one with a guilty conscience. Especially when a true gentleman, The_Mariner in this case, always keeps his word. You must have a dull, boring life to be worried when, how much and "if" in your case, the donation will be made. Get a life. Brown-Eyed-Girl, happily married to The_Mariner a month shy of seven years. And he still opens my door for me icon_smile.gif.

Perhaps a good way to do a "charity" cache would be to place the cache at the office of the charity. The cacher goes into the office, tells the receptionist/security guard/whomever, "I want to log this geocache." The receptionist/security guard/whomever pulls out the cache box from behind the desk, and the cacher can trade/log/make a donation/whatever.

25021_1200.gif

I have seen the cache in question. I have left a quarter and did not take a quarter at said cache in question. I personally don't care what happens to the .25 cents I left because I didn't see this as being a charity cache - it's a quarter exchange. It's part of the sport. How many times have you left something and didn't take something because nothing interested you, or you wanted to 'better' the cache?

If you're looking to give to charity, write a check and get a receipt.

Think about it: Just about every "hobby/sport" type activity ends up with some kind of charity event. There are charity fishing tournements, runs, walks, etc. Shoot, my wife's crochet club does more charity work in a month than you could believe! It not only seems natural that geocachers contribute in some way also.

That being said, I'd get some definite input from a legal point of view before attaching a corporate logo to any sort of money collecting venture. I know, each geocache is owned by it's placer, but . . . well . . you just never know what the legalities are until you investigate them.

A while back I had an idea for a Christmas Charity Cache that basically was locationless. Find a mall or other center with an Angel Tree gift box or a Toys for Tot gift box, donate a toy, log it as a find.

No money gets left in the woods, no one has to worry about the integrity of the placer, and anyone who participates gets to add one more to their list of finds.

As always, charity is your own option. I'm all for tying it in with my favorite passtime, but I think there ought to be some clear guidelines about what kind of charity caches can be approved and what kind can't.

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again."

Mt. 13:44

I can imagine some hypothetical cases where a cache, with a charitable purpose, would be inappropriate and should be archived. This is not such a case.

You may not agree with what I say, but I will defend, to your death, my right to say it!(it's a Joke, OK!)