Geocaching goals

I had such a goodtime caching today with Casey; we set a goal to have 100 finds by Christmas. I'm not too sure if we can do it or not. The weather and my job play big roles. I just feel this gives us a little more ambition. Plus we have nothing to lose except a little weight. LOL

Well anyways, if you have any geocaching goals, maybe you can post them here. It would be cool to see the goals, if any, that other members might have.

Duane

Upinyachit

icon_smile.gif

work1.gif

Our feet go where the caches are! feet.gif

I have only 39 finds, all traditional so far. I'd like 100, but I am going to be realistic, because winter is coming, and give my self until April, 2003. That will be one year. We are going to try a few snowshoe caches, if we get snow. If there usn't any snow, who knows, maybe I'll have reached 100 before April.

The Farmer's Almanac predicts snow for this region, let's see how accurate they'll be:

November 2002

1st-3rd. Stormy, with snow over northern regions. Squally rain Mid-Atlantic States. 4th-7th. Cold and dry. 8th-11th. Wet, then fair and cold. Rain Virginia, Maryland, then clearing and colder. 12th-15th. Fair skies. 16th-19th. Some snow Mid-Atlantic States, then fair and cold. Stormy Pennsylvania, New York up to Maine. 20th-23rd. Wet New England, then fair. Rain Mid-Atlantic States, then clearing. 24th-27th. Fair and cold. 28th-30th. A white Thanksgiving? Storms out of the Southwest dump snow Maryland, Virginia northward. Heavy snow — 4 "or more— for much of Northeast.

December 2002

1st-3rd. Clearing skies, cold. 4th-7th. Quick changes; fair, wet, then clearing. 8th-11th. Pleasant weather. 12th-15th. Heavy snow much of Northeast, then fair, cold. Some snow Mid-Atlantic States. 16th-19th. Becoming wet, especially New England. 20th-23rd. Dry and tranquil. 24th-27th. Rain Virginia, but farther to the north precipitation mixes with and changes to snow, 4" to 8" for New England. 28th-31st. Fair and cold.

Cache you later,

Planet

I feel much more like I do now than when I first got here.

Goal: Have a life that includes geocaching but is in no way dominated by it.

If your house catches afire, and there ain?t no water around,

If your house catches afire, and there ain?t no water around,

Throw your jelly out the window; let the dog-gone shack burn down.

**Huddie Ledbetter**

quote:
Originally posted by upinyachit:

It would be cool to see the goals, if any, that other members might have.

My goal is to get Upinyachit to visit my Watership Down cache by year's end...it's not far from one of theirs, anyway. icon_wink.gif

-shilfiell, who just likes visitors

"I'm too old to be doing this" - me to nobody, from too high up in a pine tree.

quote:
My goal is to get Upinyachit to visit my Watership Down cache by year's end...it's not far from one of theirs, anyway.

Now that you got my attention Shilfiell, your Watership Down cache looks like a fun one to do.

I feel like going to search for it now, but Candie

would think I'm crazy. LOL

Duane

Upinyachit

icon_smile.gif

Our feet go where the caches are! feet.gif

Our goal by year end is 100 caches found, and by the end of our first year of caching, to find 200.

If we don't make our goals, or exceed them, well, it doesn't really matter all that much to us. But these are just numbers we've floated around.

We include everything in the goal - reals, virtuals, multi-caches, web-caches, etc. We feel the 3, 4, 5 part multi caches that count as '1' make up for the easier aspect of the virtuals. And, we aren't too picky about this anyway. It's our goal for ourselves, not a competition with anyone else.

Right now, we started July 4th weekend, and just got our 80th today. So, that's about 20 a month, so 100 by 12/31 should be 'do-able'.

-J

I'm going for 200 by first anniversary, although I have to admit I feel lame admitting that the count matters...

Just like I hate to admit that I really like getting to a cache first! icon_biggrin.gif

So I guess we're back to that "MY NAME IS CHARLIE AND I'M A GEOCACHER" thing again, huh? icon_wink.gif

Charlie

"One should never begin a journey by heading in the wrong direction."

I love geocaching - but in my very busy life, I often forget to set aside time for things that I really like to do - so soon after I started Geocaching, I set a very modest personal goal - one cache a week - 52 by the end of the first year. I had my 50th find yesterday and I am still two months away from my first anniversary!

(My only other specific goal is not to have more than 5 times the number of posts to these forums than caches I have found.)

I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me.

geol4.JPG

With all the talk of keeping track of numbers and competition I think we forget that the greatest competition can sometimes be the one we have with ourselves.

My original goal for caching was one a week. Somewhere in mid-summer I managed to surpass that. Now my goal is to try to hit 100 by the end of the year. Not sure how attainable that will be since I'm running out of local caches and have taken on a new job that's demanding a lot more time (oh yeah, and having a 1 month old baby in the house isn't helping either). Hopefully I can work in a few power cachin' days to hit or beat my goal.

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

quote:
Originally posted by CYBret:

With all the talk of keeping track of numbers and competition I think we forget that the greatest competition can sometimes be the one we have with ourselves.

My original goal for caching was one a week. Somewhere in mid-summer I managed to surpass that. Now my goal is to try to hit 100 by the end of the year. Not sure how attainable that will be since I'm running out of local caches and have taken on a new job that's demanding a lot more time (oh yeah, and having a 1 month old baby in the house isn't helping either). Hopefully I can work in a few power cachin' days to hit or beat my goal.

Bret

__"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again."_ Mt. 13:44_

Can he say CACHE yet?

Cache you later,

Planet

spacecraft.gif

I feel much more like I do now than when I first got here.

I'm trying to hit 100 before Jan 1. I'm less than 20 away and considering I started caching in mid august I think I'm doing pretty well. I've also been seeing how many days I can cache in a row. My own iron man record I guess icon_smile.gif Current record for that is 13 days for me.

I've got a streak of 7 days going at the moment.

I'm not ashamed to admit that the numbers matter to me. I'm not competing with anyone but myself though. I know I'll never have the most finds with folks like the Cooper Agency caching the area but I do like to see how far I can push myself. Keeps it fun for me and gives me something to shoot for.

-------------------------------------

Hope is the destination that we seek.

Love is the road that leads to hope.

Courage is the motor that drives us.

We travel out of darkness into faith.

-=The Book Of Counted Sorrows=-

My personal goal is to maintain a pace of averaging 1 cache per day. There are plenty of caches in my area, and new ones are being placed all the time, so I should be able to maintain that pace for a while. I do a lot of "binge caching" where I hit 10-20 in a day, so I actually have time for a life between binges.

I'm not addicted to geocaching; I can quit anytime I want to...

25021_1200.gif

50 by 01/01/03 and 100 by 01/07/03. Maybe I can make it, I'm at 40 now but the landscape's getting pretty thin.

I have to travel farther and farther away from home for longer and longer periods of a time. This is NOT garnering me any popularity awards at home.

BUT! With that said, I always make sure that everything at home is in line before taking time out for myself. The only problem is the time taken for myself is not sufficient to get out there, find a couple and get back.

So maybe a more realistic goal would be 50 by 01/01/03 and 75 by 01/07/03.

God bless my wife, she has the patience of a saint.

DirtRunner.

Your not first...But you could be next.

quote:
Originally posted by Team Tecmage (R&T):

- Get job on East Coast by Aug 1

- Move to cache-rich environment

Isn't the cache rich enviroment on the West Coast? I have 1350 caches within a hundred miles of my home Zip Code. icon_biggrin.gif

My wife says put a coordinate on it and I'll find it.

We had a total of 9 finds when we found our first cache of 2002 right around Easter. At that time I set a goal of 50 caches by the end of the summer. The kids and I really got into the caching thing and we had 50 by 6/24, 100 by 8/3, & 200 by 10/19. When we were around 150, I revised our goal to 200 physical caches by the first snowfall & ski season. We now have 210 but 24 of them are virtual or event so we need another 14 physical finds tto achieve our goal.

The cheerleading season has really put a damper on our caching, plus the fact that there is less daylight and that we were planning on doing some of the longer hikes with the cooler weather, makes it a challanging goal.

quote:
Originally posted by Fattuhr:

Isn't the cache rich enviroment on the West Coast? I have 1350 caches within a hundred miles of my home Zip Code. icon_biggrin.gif

Hey Fattuhr,

You're right, but we found a few cache-rich areas on the other coast as well. T is ready to move back East, so we're job hunting on that coast.

Richard

1,000 caches by my 1 yr anniversary, 6/1/2003.

Create 1 cache for every 10 I visit.

Move 1 TB for every 10 sites I visit.

Lose 10 pounds for every 100 cache sites I visit.

With over 250 cache visits, I have lost 26 pounds and have managed to keep it off. It's a gradual loss, and I find I'm eating smarter.

Just what the doctors recommend:

Eat sensibly, and more exercise.

One cold night in dec '01 I saw a little blurb on afternoon TV about a story they were going to run about geocaching later that day. (I never did see the story) I jumped online, got really jazzed when the nearest cache was 1.3 mi away. I scooped up my 1.5 year old daughter went out and found it.

I haven't looked back since and I should easy hit 300 by my one year anniversary (270 as of today) My 2.34 year old daughter has a limited vocabulary, but you can bet for sure it includes the word 'cache'.

Yes, there >500 caches within 100 miles of me, and if I was a bachelor, I would be over 1000 now. icon_smile.gif

My name is Mark, and I am a geocacher.

-Doc Ott

A day without thermonuclear fusion is like a day without sunshine.

This one is temporary, but our goal is to have 50 finds on our "Logged caches" list. You know, the one that says: (The last 10 logs are listed, or logs in the last 10 days, whatever is greater)

We are currently at 40 and have 5 days before the oldest one drops off the list.

--Marky

"Everyone spends time in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

Goals are good, and right now, I'm blowing more time on trying to figure out complicated caches, and spending less time finding typically 'easy' ones. I think 100 is the goal for now, I'm at 37 after just shy of 2 months, and if I get that digital camera from Paul, I could be at 59 by tomorrow.

Really, I'd like to think 100 REAL 'non-virtual' caches per year, but we'll see. There aren't many new ones popping up these days around here, except on Vancouver Island. Living in BC close to WA though is a bonus. I just don't know what to say when I go across the border with my GPS in hand...

I'd like to see more hides locally. I'm trying to get geocaching into the local paper.

canadazuuk

quote:
Originally posted by Planet:

I have only 39 finds, all traditional so far. I'd like 100... and give my self until April, 2003. ......

That was posted on 11/3/02 It is now 11/16/02 and I'm up to 51. Looks like I can do it! And, in order to make this goal I have taken to hiking alone, which is not at all like me. GEOCACHING MAKE YOU BRAVE!

icon_biggrin.gif

Cache you later,

Planet

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.