Who here owns a Volkswagen?

Bahnburner

Only one VW? Well, at the moment, I'm on VW #5 of 6 cars owned.

#1: '69 Bug Convert - The roof fell off, so it was replaced by..

#2: '82 Rabbit - Powder Blue and a G-grind together, whoda thunk it? But then I parked it on the back bumper of a Ford F250, so..

#3: '84 Rabbit - Finally a 5th gear! But it started eating every electrical component in sight after a break-in tore up the dash, so..

I bought a used '90 BMW 325i. But.. I also bought

#4: An '80 Scirocco S - w/ a '86 GTi engine, a few months later as a second car.

It eventually got sold when I moved cross-country for a year, and I've recently bought..

#5: '86 GTi - which cost less ($200) than my GPS unit (Rino 120, $249)!

Between the new radio and the Garmin, there's regulary about 3X the cost of the car in electrical gadgets traveling around inside it! The irony..

I can understand a strong correlation between Cachers and Dubbers though, some kind of mindset thing. Especially the multi-owners.. Don't ask me to quantify why, but it's there.

CK

--

"Oh, look at me, I'm way cool. I'm off with my way cool friends to sniff floor wax."

-Brian, 'My So-Called Life'

[This message was edited by CurlyKrakow on April 25, 2003 at 08:01 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Trekks:

I used to have a volkswagen...until my son drove it off a cliff...(photos of my beautiful car)

http://oregonstate.edu/~fisherdi/car/index.html

Wow. What a waste of a perfectly good VR6.. icon_frown.gif

What about your son? Did he walk away from that or what? That's a pretty dramatic crash.

CK

--

Geocaching: The World's Finest Outdoor Geeking

"Oh, look at me. I'm off with my way cool friends to sniff floor wax." - Brian, 'My So-Called Life'

I'm on my 2nd! Currently in a 2002 Jetta GLX with the newer VR6. Sold my 2000 Passat GLX 4Motion last year about this time.

The Jetta is full of caching stuff - from hiking boots to trinkets. Climbing stuff, too. Rope, shoes, harness... Ready for anything. Great little car.

UPSCWRU (University of Puget Sound, Case Western Reserve University)

Wow. What a waste of a perfectly good VR6.. icon_frown.gif

What about your son? Did he walk away from that or what? That's a pretty dramatic crash.

CK

--

Geocaching: The World's Finest Outdoor Geeking

"Oh, look at me. I'm off with my way cool friends to sniff floor wax." - Brian, 'My So-Called Life'

Yes, actually it was on the top of the Santiam Pass in Oregon and the accident was weather related. His only physical injuries were bruises from the seatbelts and breathing in the powder from the airbags. He was a lucky kid. He was the one who took the photos after he crawled out and up the 125 foot embankment.

Funny you ask, cuz I bought a 1977 Deluxe Westfalia (with the pop top, stove and a Phish sticker on the back window) two weeks ago. I had it towed off of the previous owner's property and sent directly to a mechanic for a complete overhaul. I've named it "Mulligan." So although I have never driven it, haven't spent much money on it (yet), I do indeed own a VW and would love a VW trinket.

Geocaching Carolinas

Started out my adult life with a '76 Rabbit, moved to an '80 Rabbit and bought a wrecked Scirocco for parts. Then I moved too far from a dealer and the family got too big. Now that the kids are in college I am going to shop for another when I move back near a dealer.

My first car was a 1972 orange-red SuperBeetle; sold that to my brother so I could buy a Fiat 128 - big mistake. Bought BF (now DH) a VW camper which we eventually used as a honeymoon mobile - three weeks camping from Buffalo, NY, to the Rockies and Grand Canyon and back. Had a white Rabbit when I had only three kids (must have been in the mid '80's); had to sell it when #4 came along. My current VW is a 1982 Rabbit ragtop. My oldest son was driving it to school a couple times a week; one morning just before hunting season a deer jumped out in front of him and creamed the hood (boy was okay). It now has a black primed hood and a green body in sore need of a paint job. I love how it just zips along with a peppy attitude and I LOVE riding with the top down. Unfortunately, it is getting chilly here in PA, so it will be stored for the winter until warm weather comes around again.

PeachyPA

I almost bought a Karmin Gia, but when I test drove it, the gas peddle broke off when I was doing 75 on the freeway, and I finally had to turn off the ignition to get it to stop before I killed myself or somebody else. I also had difficulty figuring out how to work a stick shift without a clutch. After that, my current incarnation of the Millenium Falcon ended up being a Chevy. Also, my right shoulder is numb from slug bugs and cruiser bruisers (if P.T. Cruisers are all Limited Edition, why are there so many of them?) My wife and I are also confused as to what constitutes a sluggable bug--old and new bugs are a given, but what about Karmin Gias? Pre-70's Porches? VW Things? Old microbusses (with bonus slugs for a psychedelic paint job)?

MnGCA-Button.gif"There comes a time in every rightfully constructed boy's life when he gets an urge to seek for buried treasure"--Mark Twain

Wow, you VW people are as bad as us Jeep people. Praise 'em one minute and curse 'em the next, eh? icon_biggrin.gif

I've been looking at getting a Jetta TDi for a while now. 97 or 98 seems to be the year that fits me the best.

Any pointers, tips, etc? Best place for parts, etc? Tips on working on the TDi?

Good VW forums? Any specific to the TDi?

Geocachers Roadcow and Team Sagefox each have Vanagon campers that have been converted to Subaru engines. Gone is the 84 hp vasserleaker and in is the 130 hp, 16 valve engine that fits like it was made for VW. Conversion kit is available. Both vans have over 200,000 total miles. Pictured here on our Las Vegas Wedding trip last New Years.

51308_300.JPG

Do I get bonus points for also having a Vespa?

Both the Bus and Vespa are 1964 models (was not planned, just worked out that way).

The Bus has a 2000cc engine and a later model bug transmission. I have removed the gear boxes and this baby really flies. I can easily do 75 on the freeways and have actually gone a 100mph once in it.

I currently have 2 VWs

1964 Bus

2002 TDI Jetta

I also had a 1999 New Beetle that I sold to get the Jetta.

busandvespa.jpg

120878_1600.gif

I have had two bugs in past years, and own a red 2001 New Beetle that I just love. It's a great car!

Sure, do the VW cache - I have a miniature of my Beetle that I will make into a Travel Bug and send your way!

Have fun,

Ed

No man is so foolish but he may sometimes give another good counsel, and no man so wise that he may not easily err if he takes no other counsel than his own. He that is taught only by himself has a fool for a master.

- Ben Jonson -Sixteenth century English dramatist.

I own a 69 thats been sitting in my back yard for years waiting for a garage to restore it in. My first was a 1971 red convertable. Drove that for 5 years and traded it for a 1971 camper bus that I drove up here in 1980. Sold it a couple years later at a weak moment when it had a blown engine and in need of a tranny. The friend who bought it for $500 put a new engine and tranny in it and drove it all the way to Costa Rica and back! Now I'm looking to buy it back after all these years! It will be great for summer geocaching.

~Radio talks, GPSr's walk the talk.

quote:
Originally posted by Thack Pack:

I just got my Driver magazine from VW today. Imagine my enjoyment when I open it up to see an article/advertisement on VWs and Geocaching.

I hope mine is there when I get home!

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

If you are not failing now and again, it's a sign you're playing it safe. - Woody Allen

Hey Guys. I own a 72 Baja (GEO BUG)I have had for 5 years I use to place some off road caches in our area. We had a 70 VW Beetle for 3 years and recently sold it which I regret. We always leave a Hot Wheels VW Bug in the caches we find and place. And stamp the log book with a VW Baja stamp I made. I guess we have a bug for VWs.

Thanks, tdjvolks...

[This message was edited by tdjvolks on November 01, 2003 at 05:52 PM.]Pictures%2FMuddy%20Geo%20Bug.jpg

[This message was edited by tdjvolks on November 01, 2003 at 06:23 PM.]