Some tips - DESERT SURVIVAL.

In one of the many "WHAT DO YOU CARRY IN YOUR BACKPACK" threads, I made mention of a desert survival card I keep in the first aid kit. Recently, someone asked me what was on that card. So I typed it in for them.

Since I took the time to type it for one, I might as well share it with all. As anything, use your own judgement as to how much of this might be useful to you. Here it is.

Ten Commandments of Survival in the Desert When lost or stranded.

1. Hold on to a SURVIVAL ATTITUDE. Your most valuable asset in any life-threatening situation is a positive mental attitude. If you are not certain you can live – you will die.

2. Stay where you are – stay calm. If you are driving a vehicle, remain with it. Relocate only to reach SAFETY and WATER.

3. Move only when absolutely necessary and only at night. If your position is unendurable, change your location during the cooler night hours. Move only when you know you can get there safely by doing the following.

a. Leave a clear trail with notes and direction signs.

b. On the note, give your name, date, time, direction, and reason you are moving.

c. Proceed in a specific direction. Change your line of movement ONLY AFTER you have left a sign or marker.

d. Go slowly and carefully – beware of overexertion.

4. Conserve your sweat, not your water. Rest by day. Work on shelter and signals in the cool of the evening or morning. Drink as often as you need water. Rub your body with urine and other liquids to keep cool.

5. Protect your body. When in the sun and heat remember to:

a. Keep your clothes on – loosen but do not remove.

b. Keep your boots and head gear on.

c. Relax in deep shade – keep your eyes protected from glare.

d. If in the open with no shade nearby, use anything available to make shade.

6. Make a fuss when you hear or see others nearby:

a. Signal by any means at hand. Use a mirror to reflect the sun. Wave brightly colored items.

b. Make marks in the sand or lay out rocks large enough to be seen from the air: SOS or HELP.

c. Start a fire – SMOKE in the daytime and FLAME at night.

d. Get involved in your rescue, but conserve your body water.

7. DO NOT EAT ANYTHING!

a. All food is water demanding. Water is drawn out of your system to process, digest, and eliminate what you eat.

b. No salt or salt tabs – they will dehydrate you.

8. Keep your mouth closed. Breathe through your nose to minimize evaporative losses.

9. Think like a searcher. Do the things that will make it easier for your rescuers to find you:

a. Leave a clear trail with notes and direction signs.

b. On the notes, give your name, date, time, direction, and the reason you are going.

c. Have a goal in mind – go in one direction with care. AVOID INJURY.

10. Use your head, not your sweat; drink the water you have. Never ration water! Drink what you have when you need it. Discipline is essential to survival.

There you go. YMMV!

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

All great advice. I would add one thing, which is one of those universal applies to all outdoor types of stuff pieces of advice:

Let a responsible person know where you'll be, and when you will be returning.

Your odds of being found go way if people are actually looking for you, hopefully in the right general area.

I'd also carry some radio transmitter with me too. It's illegal, but I'd consider an aviation transceiver so I can communicate on 121.9. Short of a sat uplink, that's the best chance of talking to someone. Give them the coords from the GPS and a chopper will be there in no time.

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin

Very good desert survival tips. Except for the wasteful application of urine. The urine should be saved for when a person gets really thirsty. It sounds disgusting (and it is) but I have read accounts where desperate people have had to resort to such a thing. Some have even had to remove the bladder from their horse or other animal after it died from exposure. Thank God for Camelbac. icon_smile.gif

I agree with what others has said - Good advice. I might add that most people under estimate their water requirements to survive just one day in the summer desert.

In August of 1978, I convinced three of my foolish friends to hike with me from salton sea (below sea level) to Rabbit peak (elevation 6666'), then to villiger peak, then down to Anza Berrago, where we had parked a second car. I told them I think this hike should us us about 18 hours and to bring at least 12 liters of water (25 pounds of water on your back). Before we started hiking, I insisted on seeing everybody's amount of water - this is no place to cheat because you don't want to carry the weight. This adventure is all cross country with no trails. None of us ever been here before. We're doing map, compass and dead reconing all night long under a full moon. The temp that night went down to a chilly 90 degrees.

At day break I'm taking another drink of water and discovered I only have 4 liters left in my pack. Bummer.

Since I brought these fools here (also I'm the fool in charge), I demanded to inventory everybody's water. Two had 5 liters and one had 6 liters.

Eight hours later I drink my last drop of water. My pack is very light now - how I wish it was heavy with water again.

Two hours later, I'm dry heaving up all mosture that is left in my body. I know if I don't get water soon, I'll be dead in a few hours.

I asked my friends if they had any water to share. Everybody is out of water except Tom. Tom won't say how much water is in his pack, if any, much less give me any.

I'm ready to KILL Tom for water, I'm just too weak.

We finally get to the road in the darkness of the early night. No moon yet and no car with water in the trunk.

It's dark and we don't which direction to go on the road for the car.

All I could do was lay down in the hot desert sand and cried to my friends about water and passed out.

What seem like a second to me (I'm uncouncious) was actually about 20 minutes to others.

When I regain concouices, my face is being slapped every which way, and water is being pord all over my body.

I don't need water on my body, I NEED WATER TO DRINK! I grab a bottle closest to me and took a sallow. Big mistake! That swallow shot out of my mouth like a guiser. I'm crieding again.

Wet my salty t-shirt and sucked on it.

I was taken to a hospital and releast three days later.

Respect the desert.

Bernie

PS: Tom was out of water also, he was just trying to keep our hopes up and keep us going. Glad I didn't kill him for his water.

PPS: Folks, forgive me, I can't spell.

The only thing I disagree with is using a CD, for the simple reason that they can break if you fall or drop your pack the wrong way. I use old hard drive platters, which are THICK and DURABLE. Another cacher has been putting them into caches, which I'm thinking about doing, since I have 10-15 dead HDs of various sizes sitting in my closet.

[edit]If that's all you have, it is certainly better than nothing. Our helicopter (DPS Ranger) went on a SAR to look for some moron with NO survival gear who got himself stuck in the desert. He was using a Coke can as a 'reflective' device. Fortunately for him, the spotter was that good and found him despite his shortcomings.

Brian

Team A.I.

quote:
Originally posted by bmcilvoy:

I agree with what others has said - Good advice. I might add that most people under estimate their water requirements to survive just one day in the summer desert.

PPS: Folks, forgive me, I can't spell.

Hi Bernie,

WOW! Thanks for sharing that. it really makes you think about the chances we take without weighing the risks.

With 20/20 hindsight three questions come to mind.

1. How much water should you have had. Not that you woukd want to attempt this again.

2. August??? Maybe early April or late October.

3. How much better would it have been with a GPSr?

I grew-up in La Crescenta, CA with the Angeles National Forest as our backyard. In the summer (and weekends during the school year)we would hike over the hills on all day explorations. We even 'cached' water canteens frozen the day before to retrieve on the way back. I learned to respect the desert and visit when I can. Death Valley later this fall!

Thanks for the posts everyone, I have picked up some new ideas.

Peter AKA Agreatscot

PS My spelling is perfect, at least when I use Microsoft Word XP! LOL!

quote:
Originally posted by clearpath:

Very good desert survival tips. Except for the wasteful application of urine. The urine should be saved for when a person gets really thirsty. It sounds disgusting (and it is) but I have read accounts where desperate people have had to resort to such a thing. Some have even had to remove the bladder from their horse or other animal after it died from exposure. Thank God for Camelbac. icon_smile.gif

I've heard the exact opposite; that drinking urine can further dehydrate you. I don't think drinking urine is a good idea- there's a reason it's a 'waste product'.

On the opposite end of not drinking enough water, I have heard about a case or 2 of ppl in the Grand Canyon that drank too much water (and not enough electrolites/food) and had to be flown out. Be reasonable, don't go totally nuts if you do happen upon a good source of water in a survival situation.

I walk the Maze of Moments, but everywhere I turn to, begins a new beginning, but never finds a finish... -Enya, Anywhere Is

quote:
Originally posted by Squirrel Nut:

quote:
Originally posted by clearpath:

I've heard the exact opposite; that drinking urine can further dehydrate you. I don't think drinking urine is a good idea- there's a reason it's a 'waste product'.

On the opposite end of not drinking enough water, I have heard about a case or 2 of ppl in the Grand Canyon that drank too much water (and not enough electrolites/food) and had to be flown out. Be reasonable, don't go totally nuts if you do happen upon a good source of water in a survival situation.

I walk the Maze of Moments, but everywhere I turn to, begins a new beginning, but never finds a finish... -Enya, Anywhere Is

I agree. To take advantage of urine, you would need a distillation system to distill the water away from impurities. Something like this aquacone that would be relatively easy to pack.

Cheers!

TL

Hi Peter AKA Agreatscot,

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hi Bernie,

WOW! Thanks for sharing that. it really makes you think about the chances we take without weighing the risks.

With 20/20 hindsight three questions come to mind.

1. How much water should you have had. Not that you woukd want to attempt this again.

2. August??? Maybe early April or late October.

3. How much better would it have been with a GPSr?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Often in life it is difficult to accurately weigh the risks (amount of water to back pack in this case) when you have unknown factors. The major unknown factor on this trip was the time required to complete the hike over unknown terrain at night with no trails. I study my USGS Topo's for months before the hike. I first decided upon the route. Then I was faced with the major unknown factor, time to complete the hike.

The gain in elevation is just under 7000' and distance about 15 miles with a loss of elevation of 6000'. After many hours of thought, I gave 18 hours as my best guess.

Had it been 18 hours instead of the 24 hours it took us, the 12 liters of water per person would of been enough.

1. 16 liters. I did do it again 12 years later. However, this time I choosed late March. Still had water trouble, but that's another story.

2. Yes, August with day temps around 120 degrees. Every month of your life is a great one.

3. Much better than sending friends off in opposite directons on the road to find our second car in the darkness. I only had 1 car key with me, who to give it to? I lucked out and gave it to the friend headed in the right direction to the car. GPSr didn't exist in 1978.

Respect the desert.

Bernie

icon_smile.gifDW, thanks for the great post. I love the desert but don't get there often. And I undestand the risks just enough to be super careful. Great rules to follow anyplace. I've printed them for my pack. Now the big problem, be ready always for the unexpected. I have a tendancy to over-estimate my abilities. Better I under estimate them and leave a measure of safety for that unexpected thing that will surely crop up.

What are you looking for?

One of the best desert books out on desert travel, survival, and adventuring is The Ultimate Desert Handbook. Rather than cover just one or two deserts it has extensive advice and information on traveling in all U.S. and worldwide deserts, and no matter whether you're on foot, in a vehicle, or using animal transport. Though it has tremendous amounts of 'survival' information, the book starts with the premise that survival begins before you set out, by teaching useful methods of preparation, acclimatization, conditioning, knowledge of desert plants and animals, the experience of desert dwelling peoples, gear, likely hazards - weather, heat injury, snakes, africanized bees, injuries etc, etc - and particularly navigation,often skipped over in many desert survival books) so you don't end up at death's door in the first place. It's the only desert book I've seen with a complete first aid chapter.

Great advice DW! If I ever find myself in a desert I'll remember it. I'll add one tip for you. If YOU are ever stuck you can always eat that big dog, he's big enough for you to survive on for weeks!! And you'd last longer than me, LOL. (private joke people, I wouldn't really eat a dog!)

Cache you later,

Planet

So many caches, so little time.

quote:
Originally posted by desertwalker:

One of the best desert books out on desert travel, survival, and adventuring is The Ultimate Desert Handbook.

Hi,

Thanks for the tip on the book, I will get a copy. I am sad to report that David Alloway whose book I mentioned in an earlier post, died March 11,2003. It is reported that his foot was crushed by a horse while on an outing. He ignored it for a while and eventually went for treatment but it was too late. This does show the value of the first aid as you mentioned desertwalker.

This is a link to his company web site:

David Alloway Skills of Survival

One final note David Alloway is the only American invited to participate in the Walkabout. The Walkabout is a 120mi 10 day 'race' through the outback of Australia, considered the most difficult desert competition. Peter

quote:
Originally posted by Brian - Team A.I.:

The only thing I disagree with is using a CD, for the simple reason that they can break if you fall or drop your pack the wrong way. I use old hard drive platters, which are THICK and DURABLE. Another cacher has been putting them into caches, which I'm thinking about doing, since I have 10-15 dead HDs of various sizes sitting in my closet.

Don't forget to yank the extremely strong magnets out of your dead HDDs, they work best for magnetic caches.

Another excellent piece of equipment in the desert is a space blanket, very visible, portable shade (double it up for shade) and lots of other uses.

If trees could scream, would we still cut them down?

Well, maybe if they screamed all the time, for no reason.

Click here for my Geocaching pictures and Here (newest)

I remmember when I was younger traveling with my Dad on I-84 along the Columbia river in the hot summer He always had a jug or two of water and many times stopped to give one to some one with their car over heating. From the road it is a long walk to that river and most had nothing to carry water with.

Another time I was in Washington D.C. on a march through town and had no water sounds easy to find a little H20 but not always.

Any trip with out planning can end with problems.

icon_cool.gif One hides a thing too close for the person seeking it to find. icon_confused.gif