Chiggers

GEOTRACK

Chiggers are related to ticks and spiders. Their development goes through the same four stages: egg, larva, nymph and adult. Adult chiggers pass the winter in protected places and become active in the spring. The young chigger or larva, which hatches from eggs deposited earlier in the spring, is the real troublemaker. It is a parasite that feeds on man and animals. After feeding for several days, the larva detaches and finds a protected place on the ground where it develops through the nymphal stage into an adult. Under favorable conditions, most chigger species complete their development in 40 to 70 days and produce one to four generations each year in Texas.

Chiggers are active from spring to late fall but are most numerous in early summer when weeds, grasses and undergrowth are the heaviest. Nymphs and adults feed on insect eggs, small insects and other organisms found on or near decaying wood. Larval chiggers congregate in shaded niches near the tips of grass leaves, weeds, sticks and other objects close to the ground. They are activated upon the approach of a suitable host, probably by odor, carbon dioxide output and other stimulating factors, and crawl onto the host for feeding.

Chigger Dermatitis

The tiny, bright red larval chigger can scarcely be seen as it scurries along the skin surface seeking an attachment site. When it finds a suitable location, such as a skin pore or hair follicle, it attaches its mouthparts to the spot. On people, the chigger prefers places where clothing fits closely over the skin or where the flesh in thin or wrinkled. Contrary to common belief, it does not penetrate and burrow into the skin or suck blood. Instead, it injects a digestive fluid that disintegrates skin cells so they can be used as food. A feeding “tube” formed by the chigger secretion and skin cells of the host permits the chigger to extract food until it is engorged. After leaving the host, it undergoes further development on the ground.

Affected skin tissue becomes red and swollen. It may completely envelop the feeding chigger, making the chigger appear to be burrowing into the skin. Chigger bites have a more severe effect on some persons than others. The bite itches intensely and may continue itching for several days after the chigger is killed or drops off. The itching probably results from the digestive action of the enzymes injected by the larva into the skin.

Protection

Several commercially available repellents are effective against chigger infestations. These repellents usually contain one or more of the following compounds: permethrin, diethyl toluamide, dimethyl phthalate, dimethyl carbate, ethyl hexanediol and benzyl benzoate. Most repellents are also effective against mosquitos and other insects. They are formulated as liquids, aerosol sprays, solid sticks and ointments. Common dusting sulfur, although somewhat messy and odorous, is also a very effective repellent.

Repellents should be used according to instructions. Usually, they provide protection from chiggers for several hours. For protection which lasts several days, saturate clothing by soaking or spraying it with a repellent solution.

For further prevention, wear loose-fitting clothing and avoid sitting or reclining on the ground when camping, picnicking, or working outdoors.

Reducing the Itching

Immediately after exposure to chigger-infested areas, take a hot bath to kill and remove chigger larvae. Then apply an antiseptic solution to any welts that have appeared to kill trapped chiggers and to prevent infection. Destroying the chigger usually does not stop the itching completely because the itching is caused by tissue reaction to the fluid injected by the chigger. Normally, two to three days pass before the itching stops. Temporary relief can be obtained by applying a commercial product that contains a mild, local anesthetic. Your pharmacist can suggest an appropriate product for your needs.

Any unusual allergic reaction, fever or infection should be treated by a physician.

quote:
Originally posted by Dapper Dan:

Also, once they get a big bite of your soft underbelly, dab a little fingernail polish on the bite. Let it dry, and leave it there until it comes off on its own. That seems to suffocate the little varmit and stop him from moving to a new area to inflict still more misery.

Any particular color? Now this is something I haven't seen recommended in the "what do you carry in your pack" threads.

Where's majicman when you need him?

quote:
Originally posted by crr003:

Any particular color? Now this is something I haven't seen recommended in the "what do you carry in your pack" threads.

I guess the color you use depends on the statement you are trying to make. Maybe a pale pink for that demure, innocent angle. Fire truck red when you are feeling sassy. Or, purple for that "nope-the-antibiotics-didn't-clear-up-this-rash" message. icon_cool.gif

quote:
Originally posted by crr003:

I guess the color you use depends on the statement you are trying to make. Maybe a pale pink for that demure, innocent angle. Fire truck red when you are feeling sassy. Or, purple for that "nope-the-antibiotics-didn't-clear-up-this-rash" message. icon_cool.gif

Living in Mo. the chiggers are innumerable especially in the deeper grass the best remedy that I have found is an old one handed down from Grand-ma she knows best,1/2 sulfur and 1/2 baby powder. the fine sulfur can be aquired from your local drug store. this is also what is used in the sulfur blocks that we give to cattle,and our horses for those pesky liitle critters!!!! DON"T SCRATCH. (Ruli), made by Band-aide is good after you have already gotten them in ya. see ya in the tigger woods

I had to laugh at your chigger message. I am also covered up with chiggers from my feet, ankles, up to my knees. I have used fingernail polish and coated my legs with Calidril lotion. My legs are pink from the lotion and I am still itching after 3 weeks.

I am still geocaching, but will use a Deet product. The hazards of Geocaching I guess.

What is good way to get rid or keep chiggers off of myself, I got hundreds, and eating me alive.

Can you send along some pictures? I've never seen an infestation like that. icon_wink.gif

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

What is the price of experience, do men buy it for a song,

Or wisdom for a dance in the street.................

What is good way to get rid or keep chiggers off of myself, I got hundreds, and eating me alive.

Can you send along some pictures? I've never seen an infestation like that. icon_wink.gif

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

What is the price of experience, do men buy it for a song,

Or wisdom for a dance in the street.................

When I was stationed in KY and AL chiggers were a problem. I ate a couple of match heads everyother day, when I was in the field, and I never had a problem. I was told the sulfur made you un appealing to chiggers and ticks. I don't know if that is true or not and I will probably end up with cancer. In all the time I spent in the woods, weeks at a time, I maybe had 3 ticks and a couple chigger bites.

I've found that sulfur dust works much better than DEET in keeping them away. Easy to find at a garden center -- and mix with some hand lotion. Somebody sells "Chiggaway", which seems to be this mixture. After the fact, something called "New Skin" -- pretty much the same thing as nail polish -- kills the itch. Still takes a long time for the bites to heal.

Bonus: For me, permethrin does a better job than DEET when it comes to keeping ticks away. Just remember to put it on your clothes the day before you go out.

Now, how about deer/black/horse flies?